SONY's NEW SXRD 2006 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 3969 Old 04-09-2006, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
Personally I bet it is it going to knock the socks off Qualia 06 owners.

Even the current 2005 SXRDs offer signficantly better CR and shadow
detail then the Qualia 06. If they get the color unifority and Q&C straightened
out and improve CR and BL to the next level, this is going to be *THE* Reference
Stanard that all other sets are measured against :-)
Yikes. That would be something - at half the price! :)

Can't wait!

The VPL-VW 100 set the standard for price/quality for projectors. Let's hope the new 70 does the same!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3969 Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=tonydeluce]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr

It is the 2005 60 in. SXRD shown at CES...
In the video? I paused the video and i don't see the dumbo ears, just a narrow extension with no space. Am i missing something?
post #93 of 3969 Old 04-09-2006, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan06
I bet my Blue-Ray it will look like this and will be under the Bravia moniker. (50,55,60)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...HOTS/SXRD3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...HOTS/SXRD4.jpg
well it's the same then ! But why is it so big, I thought the new SXRD screens 50 etc was going to be thinner ? what's up with that ?

Oh well, who gives a damn. As long as the picture quality is good. The new SXRD 50 will be Full 1920*1080P right ? (hdmi etc)

What a perfect timing. PS3 Launch in November and these new screens in June/July/August
maby September/November. I just hope the prices will be good, especially the 50 sxrd

:) :cool:

post #94 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher8
Made in Japan. That would be icing on the cake - no complaints regrading the price if that is really the case :)
It's generally agreed that QC wise it may be icing but with a price. The Q006 weighs in at 286 lbs and shippedfrom across the other side of the world versus flying in the components for a US Build makes much more sense.

After all, they just closed the CRT Glass factory and they have several hundred long term skilled employee's that could be transitioned to the 70" set and these are not rookie employee's. MY belief is that if Honda, Toyota and BMW can successfully transition their methodology here Sony can do the same with the off spring of the Q006.

Economically it makes much more sense to transition their existing skilled workforce and the SXRD were built by new staff trainee's hired last summer. Have faith that they would use their most skilled staff with the upscale XBR and worked out the QC issues. I'm confident that Sony can easily migrate the build to skilled US Personnel and it was announced during the closure of CRT operations they would carryover the skilled workforce and what better place than SXRD's?

My concern would be if they were building it down in Mexico like many companies are doing or Walmarts China partnership. At least Sony has made these a US venture. Kudo's for that anyways versus everything on the planet being made in China and I would guess a Japan build would add a significant cost to the customer and Sony and with the prices of PDP's coming down they must definitely consider that. :)

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #95 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant7311
westa6969....Any idea why the Sony HD DVR looks so good when compared to HD from other sources? I noticed that Sony likes to use the HD DVR to show off the TV and it is mouth watering even when compared to HD cable or satellite. Don't get me wrong, the HD signal is very good from cable or satellite but its not as good as the jaw dropping HD DVR picture.

The signal coming from the Sony HD DVR (1080i?) is it going to be the same as a signal from HD-DVD or Blue-Ray players,? If so, than I guess were in for a real treat when they players become available.
grant7311

I'd like to add my answers to some of your questions .

I think Sony is using their HDD 250 DVR to provide as good a signal as possible with content that shows off their displays. Sony loaded content on these DVRs that have minimum compression and colors in combinations that make them pop off the screen. As we all know, a good display can look pretty bad with a signal that's been sliced and diced 30 different ways going through a store's signal distribution system. Sony eliminated that with one source device to one display and everybody else, keep their hands off. Sony also doesn't want the same DVR signal (that they provide) used on other displays to avoid direct comparisons. Some of these other sets look good enough that it would be hard to justify spending an additional $1K just for the SXRD logo. Just a word of caution, some sets only look good with a premium signal, so, you do want to test displays with signals typical to what you watch, which if you watch SD a fair amount, you'll want to demo content that's SD as well.

As to how the pictures from the HDD 250 DVR compares to BluRay and HD-DVD, I think its going to depend on implementation. Ever noticed how some standard definition DVDs can look so good, while others look so bad? I fully expect high def versions to have the same variances in quality.

Klein K-10A, CR250, i1D3, i1Pro2, Calman Enthusiast, LG 65B6P, Panasonic 65VT50, and a great wife that puts up with all this.:)
post #96 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 65
[quote=lipcrkr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce

In the video? I paused the video and i don't see the dumbo ears, just a narrow extension with no space. Am i missing something?
I was at CES and there was only the 2005 SXRD shown along with the 55 in.
"slim cabinet" prototype...

Also look more closely at the video :-)
post #97 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
How about Summer 2007 a 55 inch SED set that's 3 inches deep :D
Your Joking, Right? All the insiders point to Christmas 2007 as being the most realistic release point, if it does not get scrapped by the 4th quarter of this year. The dropping in prices for plasmas and RPTV's is really going to push SED off the table and to be scrapped.
post #98 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Anyone else wondering how you get a mirror and lens to blow the image up that large in the "slim" set?? Still think the rest of the set was sticking out the back side of the display. :-)

Klein K-10A, CR250, i1D3, i1Pro2, Calman Enthusiast, LG 65B6P, Panasonic 65VT50, and a great wife that puts up with all this.:)
post #99 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 10:29 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080P Input
Your Joking, Right? All the insiders point to Christmas 2007 as being the most realistic release point, if it does not get scrapped by the 4th quarter of this year. The dropping in prices for plasmas and RPTV's is really going to push SED off the table and to be scrapped.
I don't know why you are so against SED, SED is going to be 1080P from the start.

How much will a 55 inch 1080p, energy sucking, heavy, only 10,000 CR Plasma cost you?

Forgot about microdisplays because everyone knows that flat panel is the future.
post #100 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I don't know why you are so against SED, SED is going to be 1080P from the start.

How much will a 55 inch 1080p, energy sucking, heavy, only 10,000 CR Plasma cost you?

Forgot about microdisplays because everyone knows that flat panel is the future.

I move that Auditor55 create a separate string for SED only, so that he may wax on with anyone who cares.
post #101 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 10:49 AM

[quote=slowdriverdown ANY WAY AVS FORUM CAN COMBINE THESE TWO STRINGS -- IT WAS MENTIONED EARLIER IN THIS STRING AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO HAVE ONE CONVERSATION.[/QUOTE]

If not, can we continue this at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=7461882#
post #102 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Man you never ever read what people say and are simply on your own agenda and don't care how foolish you actually look.

I said that SED looks to be a better option than what consumers currently have BUT the truth of the matter is that canon/toshiba is VERY close to pulling the plug on SED because they will not be able to compete against plasma and RPTV's if their prices continue to decline. Many key insiders already are confirming that the introductory pricing point is double to triple the price of Plasma and RPTV's. At those costs it will be hard for them to ever turn a profit hence rather then continue and take a HUGE loss it is believed the project will be scrapped.
post #103 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdriverdown
I move that Auditor55 create a separate string for SED only, so that he may wax on with anyone who cares.
Agreed.

Auditor55, this thread isn't about SED.

Go away.
post #104 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080P Input
Man you never ever read what people say and are simply on your own agenda and don't care how foolish you actually look.

I said that SED looks to be a better option than what consumers currently have BUT the truth of the matter is that canon/toshiba is VERY close to pulling the plug on SED because they will not be able to compete against plasma and RPTV's if their prices continue to decline. Many key insiders already are confirming that the introductory pricing point is double to triple the price of Plasma and RPTV's. At those costs it will be hard for them to ever turn a profit hence rather then continue and take a HUGE loss it is believed the project will be scrapped.
1) Who are these so-called "key insider" ? (Please list names, company affiliations, titles, and quotes from them)

2) What qualifies them as "key insiders"?

3) Have you read, heard or talked to anyone from Toshiba or Canon where they said they would scrap the project?

4) Do you have official word from Toshiba/Canon on the projected prices of the first SED sets?

You keep propagating the idea that lower priced plasma and RPTV will contribute to the demise of SED. What I'm trying to argue is that the RPTV market itself is in decline as the public is becoming more desirable of flat panel TV's and that is why you won't see LG's Lcos RPTV come to the market. That is why you see Sony trying to squeeze a RPTV in 2007 into a thin frame because they to see the handwritting on the wall. Just as microdisplays brought about an end to CRT RPTV's, even though microdisplays cost two to three times more than CRT's, you will see this same thing happen to microdisplays by the flat panel wave. SED will represent the pinnacle of PQ in the flat panel market.

Also, you evaded my previous question about the projected price of a 55 inch 1080P Plasma set. I asked that question to see if you can validate your claim that a 55 inch SED set will cost 3 times as much as 55 inch 1080P plasma set because that is what SED will be in direct competition with.

Sir, it seems to me that you are the one with the agenda, you are so in love with the bulb that you don't want to see it go. Every chance you get you try to throw dirt on body that haven't even been born. I know you love Sony and the SXRD and you are waiting patiently for 1080p inputs ,(even though you won't see any significant 1080p content in your life time), but I'm here to tell you, I don't care how many 1080p inputs the SXRD has, it will not be the holy grail, Lcos is not it.
post #105 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfdm515
Agreed.

Go away.

If this is so much about the SXRD why did you allow this statement to be made unchallenged in this thread.

"This set may turn out to be an SED killer"

Go back few post and read it for yourself. I guess its OK to talk about SED as long as the feeling is that the SXRD is going to kill it, but any opposing points must not be tolerated here.
post #106 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfdm515
Agreed.

Go away.
You all need to save yourself hassle. Just add Auditor to your ignore list. Saves a lot of time.
post #107 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Hi All,
I was at my local Wilshire Home Theater store and they have the specs and paperwork for the new 2006 SXRDs. Perhaps this is old news?

Duffman says a lot of things.
Oh Yeah!
post #108 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
If this is so much about the SXRD why did you allow this statement to be made unchallenged in this thread.

"This set may turn out to be an SED killer"

Go back few post and read it for yourself. I guess its OK to talk about SED as long as the feeling is that the SXRD is going to kill it, but any opposing points must not be tolerated here.
Could you please stop taking this SED issue so serious and personal. I doubt there is anyone here that wouldn't pony up the money for an SED next week especially if it could exceed the Qualia level PQ and at Plasma prices if the reports are as good as we've seen from all reviewers of the Prototypes.

The issue is that it is Vaporware and they could pull the plug just as many other companies pulled the plug on LCos. We don't really hope they pull the plug as competition brings us all something better and sooner and at price margins - just look at the Sharp large LCD's selling for $15K-$21K for the 57/65" precisely because they have no competition in LCD in those sizes - NONE.

We know it's potentially great (SED) but lets wait until there is something really to talk about and as many others have stated here and this is not an SED thread and nothing to take personal - it's not a religion or a political party or one of your children it's a potential great TV. It's challenging enough to discuss future SXRD's just months away and Sony releasing nothing but to try an compare a piece of vaporware that's been seen by a few at trade shows and on small panels there really isn't much to discuss other than the fact will they follow others down the path of disolving the whole plan? We hope not after they've put so many years of research into this. They are taking the same gamble Sharp took when Sony bypassed flat panels and Sharp was close to bankruptcy and their new CEO ran with the idea of LCD FP's and have maximized market share as result. The SED would force all competitive products to get better. Don't take it so personal. ;)

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #109 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman84
Hi All,
I was at my local Wilshire Home Theater store and they have the specs and paperwork for the new 2006 SXRDs. Perhaps this is old news?
It could be news if you could summarize (if not scan them). :)

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #110 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:10 PM

I don't have a scanner, but here is the summary:
There will be a 60 and 70 inch XBR2 in Sept
Both will have the Dumbo ears, but the 70 inch will be removable
They will each have 3 1080p HDMI inputs (one in front)
They will each use a .61' chip x3
TV Guide On Screen
WEGA Engine HD for HD signal Improvement
Contrast ratio up to 10,000:1

Oh Yeah!
post #111 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
TV Guide On Screen
Any chance you have the dimensions for the 70" (w/o speakers), as it could be time to upgrade (again) if I can fit a 70" in my cabinet height-wise.
post #112 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TV Guide On Screen
HDMI on the front, too? Cool!

That is newsworthy, as is .61" SXRD panels. The speakers issue has been pretty consistent...

Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread

post #113 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:17 PM

DImensions for 70 inch:
WxHxD
- 75.4x46.2x24.5 (with speakers)
- 68.6x46.2x24.5 (without speakers)

Oh Yeah!
post #114 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:19 PM

Also the stand is a SU-RS51U, for both it looks like

Oh Yeah!
post #115 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
DImensions for 70 inch:
WxHxD
- 75.4x46.2x24.5 (with speakers)
- 68.6x46.2x24.5 (without speakers)
thanks.
post #116 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For reference the Qualia 006 is 75.1" x 47.1" x 24.7" with speakers. So this looks a tiny bit wider, deeper, and taller... Very interesting.

Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread

post #117 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:30 PM

duffman84--
Could you post the 60" dimensions, too.

I would be sooo appreciative.
post #118 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 PM

60in:
67x40.6x20.6

How does that compare with the '05s?

Oh Yeah!
post #119 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 03:38 PM

60 inch 2005 = 66 x 39 3/4 x 20 1/4

"Some people are like Slinkies--not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
post #120 of 3969 Old 04-10-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP
Anyone else wondering how you get a mirror and lens to blow the image up that large in the "slim" set?? Still think the rest of the set was sticking out the back side of the display. :-)
Yes, I wonder exactly how it's done, but we know it is possible. Infocus and RCA have marketed just such displays:

http://www.hometheaterplus.com/inscspdlphd.html

I'm not sure Infocus still sells this model. Perhaps there were problems that Sony found solutions for.

Henning ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page