SONY's NEW SXRD 2006 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBEX
I was in a local dealer here where I live and we were talking SXRD and he actually shared and COPIED me some Sony liturature basically laying out the Grand WEGA 2005-2006 model transition time line laying out model numbers and ship dates. I will share this will all of you without posting the literature because I don't want Sony to hunt me down and sue me. This dealer did say that Sony IS PURPOSELY keeping the 2006 SXRD quiet to protect existing sales of the current models. So here it goes: 5 models with a 3 sizes base line knowns as 'A2000' series and an 'XBR2' line. This info is consistant with what we all know to be true. Here are the models:
Base series: KDS-50A2000 (50"), KDS-55A2000 (55"), KDS-60A2000 (60")
XBR Tier: KDS-R60XBR2 (60"), KDS-R70XBR2 (70")

This information I know to be true as I read it off of SONY trademarked authenticated dealer liturature.
the A2000 series it's based on the 3lcd chip it's not an SXRD (check CNET)

Plasma LCD or SED ?
AVS Forums Procedure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
If you over spent you should return it. If you wait for the 2006 models you might be a better set anyway.

Thanks...I think I got a good deal with the warranty but I know I could keep the warranty towards the next one if I went that route, I wouldn't mind the 55 inch being that without the ears it would be around the same width I imagine but I wish I could be sure that it would be a better product and I wouldn't have any regrets.
post #183 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969
It's generally agreed that QC wise it may be icing but with a price. The Q006 weighs in at 286 lbs and shippedfrom across the other side of the world versus flying in the components for a US Build makes much more sense.

After all, they just closed the CRT Glass factory and they have several hundred long term skilled employee's that could be transitioned to the 70" set and these are not rookie employee's. MY belief is that if Honda, Toyota and BMW can successfully transition their methodology here Sony can do the same with the off spring of the Q006.

Economically it makes much more sense to transition their existing skilled workforce and the SXRD were built by new staff trainee's hired last summer. Have faith that they would use their most skilled staff with the upscale XBR and worked out the QC issues. I'm confident that Sony can easily migrate the build to skilled US Personnel and it was announced during the closure of CRT operations they would carryover the skilled workforce and what better place than SXRD's?

My concern would be if they were building it down in Mexico like many companies are doing or Walmarts China partnership. At least Sony has made these a US venture. Kudo's for that anyways versus everything on the planet being made in China and I would guess a Japan build would add a significant cost to the customer and Sony and with the prices of PDP's coming down they must definitely consider that. :)
USA or Japan is OK with me. Howard Stringer should be ousted if he allows any Sony XBR products to be made in China.

I bought a Sony DVD Player Made in China last year and the quality was horrible. First Sony product I ever returned!
post #184 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider4re
This is useless info. Stop waisting our time with this nonsense. We all know the sizes and that there will be an XBR version. These models have already been confirmed earlier in the thread.

How about giving us specifics on the differences between the two lines or their dimensions.

WE WANT DETAILS!!!!!
And how did your post add to the discussion? At least he was trying to add information which he did if you were paying attention.

ptwat
post #185 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBEX
Base series: KDS-50A2000 (50"), KDS-55A2000 (55"), KDS-60A2000 (60")
XBR Tier: KDS-R60XBR2 (60"), KDS-R70XBR2 (70")

This information I know to be true as I read it off of SONY trademarked authenticated dealer liturature.
And if you would like a bit more information, this was posted March 18:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...&postcount=465

Henning ...
post #186 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider4re
This is useless info. Stop waisting our time with this nonsense.
You're not a people person, are you?

Henning ...
post #187 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjpj
:D :D :D ;)
post #188 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM

I just have a couple things I wanna get off my chest. No big deal, I just need to express them. First of all, it's annoying to me when I hear/read people say what a steal something will be, or how lucky we will be if it sells for this price or that price. Hell, if paying thousands of dollars for a tv set, ANY tv set, makes me lucky, I don't need that type of luck. We're not lucky, we're well paying customers, and the manufacturers should appreciate our business much more than we should appreciate GIVING them our business. JEEZ!

Secondly, I understand Sony is holding off on providing info, since the 2005 line is still in full swing. Everyone here knows that. We're all intelligent enough to realize that's the ONLY reason we don't have more information at this point. With that being said, I sure as hell hope they don't try to "downgrade" the standard 50" model for the 2006 line. If the new set is not AT LEAST as quality oriented as the 2005 model, and with any necessary upgrades as well, then Sony doesn't deserve a penny.

I feel much better now.

MJM3000
post #189 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING MJM
I just have a couple things I wanna get off my chest. No big deal, I just need to express them. First of all, it's annoying to me when I hear/read people say what a steal something will be, or how lucky we will be if it sells for this price or that price. Hell, if paying thousands of dollars for a tv set, ANY tv set, makes me lucky, I don't need that type of luck. We're not lucky, we're well paying customers, and the manufacturers should appreciate our business much more than we should appreciate GIVING them our business. JEEZ!

Secondly, I understand Sony is holding off on providing info, since the 2005 line is still in full swing. Everyone here knows that. We're all intelligent enough to realize that's the ONLY reason we don't have more information at this point. With that being said, I sure as hell hope they don't try to "downgrade" the standard 50" model for the 2006 line. If the new set is not AT LEAST as quality oriented as the 2005 model, and with any necessary upgrades as well, then Sony doesn't deserve a penny.

I feel much better now.
Many may reference the "Lucky" comparatively to the Qualia 006 line that had a waiting list for a year and sold for $13K without a stand and if you read the owners thread it is RARE to find a complaining customer out of over 10K posts - some of the same technology that is in the Sony Ruby that debuted at $30K may find it's way in a new 70" XRB2 and an improved model over the Q006 it should be at an MSRP of $7K and streeting for less - the Q006 never went on sale for the first year.

Your right we should expect a kick ass TV for thousands and to many people that is exactly what they got. Thousands is not all that much money for a TV today - it entertains us whenever we push the button. If one has a career and you buy a HD TV that may last for more than 10 years it is in fact cheap unless your a burger flipper. Go over and read the Qualia Owner thread and find anyone in there complaining about price or performance - it is very rare indeed.

As to Sony taking the set backwards, come on - Sony has no such history and they have spent around a decade of research and R&D on this thing and they have no reason to cheapify the technology - the R&D is paid for and the price of chips come down - all electronics products follow that formula - the R&D must be recovered and then prices drop in the marketplace through competition and it's been that way for decades. Sony has no history in doing what you suggested and they've joined in a patent sharing agreement on over 5,000 patents with Samsung to mutually share in certain areas that benefit both and improves the bottom line which Sony needs since they lost a ton of money the previous year.

Does anyone truly believe that when they debuted the SXRD technology with Q006 that they built in everything? No way and they've had that thing in the lab for nearly 18 months to tweak for the next generation panels. I see some QC issues with the new plant for a time but I see no history of the Qualia having any such issues and they've had time to resolve common replicated events to our benefit. Hell they are trying to develop a lower end line to meet consumer demand and they get trashed for it? Every panel maker makes different level sets just as Toyota builds great cars but Lexus serves the upscale Toyota customer. It's a TV they are making to try an make Money which is why they are in business and it is in fact a Steal if you compare it to a 60" Plasma TV that sells for up to 3 times the money and it cannot match the SXRD in the sweet spot.

Thanks for venting but do you really believe Sony has ulterior motives at play here? I think their motive is to make a profit for their shareholders which is what they are responsible to do - they are not a non-profit entity - competition (and they have plenty of it) is what breeds the necessity for SOny to refine the SXRD with Panasonic debuting a 58" Plasma for about the same price and don't think they don't know what their competitors have on the horizon. That competition benefits us and they make money otherwise we can settle on whatever China Walmart sends our way. YUCK!;)

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #190 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And if you would like a bit more information, this was posted March 18:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...&postcount=465
The 50" will still have the dumbo ears? That's bullcrap, goodbye Sony.
post #191 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
The 50" will still have the dumbo ears? That's bullcrap, goodbye Sony.
Did you mean the "60", because the A series (50", 55", and "60") are supposed to have the speakers on the bottom? The XBR-2 sets (60" and 70") are supposed to have side mounted speakers -- 60" with fixed dumbo ears, and 70" with removable Qualia ears).
post #192 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits
Did you mean the "60", because the A series (50", 55", and "60") are supposed to have the speakers on the bottom? The XBR-2 sets (60" and 70") are supposed to have side mounted speakers -- 60" with fixed dumbo ears, and 70" with removable Qualia ears).
When i read "yes, the ears are back" i apparently presumed otherwise. Well, that's good news then, no ears, and an a 1080p input at under 3K.
post #193 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 09:37 PM

[quote=hjpj]And if you would like a bit more information, this was posted March 18:

I wonder if the 55" is listed as "July" since it's a new size which (in theory) doesn't create any inventory problems for the Sony or the dealers since there's no "old model".

So you list the 50 and 60 as August to keep everyone selling the old stuff strong through the end of June and if it's sold through... voila, ship all the new (2000) sets in July.

Just a hopeful theory :)
post #194 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for venting but do you really believe Sony has ulterior motives at play here? I think their motive is to make a profit for their shareholders which is what they are responsible to do - they are not a non-profit entity - competition (and they have plenty of it) is what breeds the necessity for SOny to refine the SXRD with Panasonic debuting a 58" Plasma for about the same price and don't think they don't know what their competitors have on the horizon. That competition benefits us and they make money otherwise we can settle on whatever China Walmart sends our way. YUCK!;)
Ah, a level headed response. Good to hear. I actually appreciate the care & time that went into your response. It read very thoughtful. I'm actually one who very seldom complains, but I had the venting bug earlier, and it overcame me. I have one request though. I do want others here to stay on top of the companies, and continue to thoroughly analyze every aspect of every product, so they can know that people are paying attention. Wouldn't want them to cut too many corners, and take advantage of the customers.

MJM3000
post #195 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the reason why Sony is doing a 50", 55", and 60" SXRD? Also, is the 55" the only one that's thinner or are the new 50" and 60" 2000 series also thinner?
post #196 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Does anyone know the reason why Sony is doing a 50", 55", and 60" SXRD? Also, is the 55" the only one that's thinner or are the new 50" and 60" 2000 series also thinner?
I don't think anyone has confirmed that any of them are actually thinner. There was the prototype at CES, but I think someone earlier posted that it won't be in any of these coming models. Maybe next year.
post #197 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27
I don't think anyone has confirmed that any of them are actually thinner. There was the prototype at CES, but I think someone earlier posted that it won't be in any of these coming models. Maybe next year.
Thanx, as long as the side speakers are gone that's my main concern, i have plenty of depth room.
post #198 of 3969 Old 04-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanx, as long as the side speakers are gone that's my main concern, i have plenty of depth room.
I live in NYC, could really use the slim model. Here's crossing my fingers.
post #199 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Westa,

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony removes certain features such as the ability to adjust grayscale in the user menu and perhaps only one HDMI port on the lower level 2000 series as they need to have these features on the upgrade model.

Since the MSRP will be substantially less than the XBR1s at introduction, is that such a far fetched notion?
post #200 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP
Westa,

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony removes certain features such as the ability to adjust grayscale in the user menu and perhaps only one HDMI port on the lower level 2000 series as they need to have these features on the upgrade model.

Since the MSRP will be substantially less than the XBR1s at introduction, is that such a far fetched notion?
With Sony debuting Blu-Ray and PS3 I would expect Sony to maximize connectivity to meet the demands of their own product line with a minimum of two HDMI - Sony looks at those connections to further revenue also. I would expect as you suggest they provide better color management and calibration as well as perhaps an advanced Iris an improved SD is on my wish list and of course a better look as that matters psychologically to an upgrading/upscale consumer.

It makes total sense that they interface some of the advanced features placed in the Sony Ruby and Qualia and the Qualia publicly debuted at CEDIA in Sept 2004 and Sony has had nearly 2 years to refine this further.

You don't have to dumb down the lower tier you just need to refine and tweak the existing set and provide a reason to go XRB to make it Lexus like. I just hope they don't add the reflective screen I had to get rid of a plasma as I could not handle the reflections in my sun filled room. The most important element would be to bring the QC to the levels of Qualia 006 since it's rare to see any reports of a pattern of green, blue/purple hues. Just some thoughts while we wait . . . and wait . . . :)

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #201 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
.... the Sony Ruby that debuted at $30K ....
WESTA: I think you meant the Qualia 004 [FP], right? :)

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #202 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
With Sony debuting Blu-Ray and PS3 I would expect Sony to maximize connectivity to meet the demands of their own product line with a minimum of two HDMI - Sony looks at those connections to further revenue also. I would expect as you suggest they provide better color management and calibration as well as perhaps an advanced Iris an improved SD is on my wish list and of course a better look as that matters psychologically to an upgrading/upscale consumer.

It makes total sense that they interface some of the advanced features placed in the Sony Ruby and Qualia and the Qualia publicly debuted at CEDIA in Sept 2004 and Sony has had nearly 2 years to refine this further.

You don't have to dumb down the lower tier you just need to refine and tweak the existing set and provide a reason to go XRB to make it Lexus like. I just hope they don't add the reflective screen I had to get rid of a plasma as I could not handle the reflections in my sun filled room. The most important element would be to bring the QC to the levels of Qualia 006 since it's rare to see any reports of a pattern of green, blue/purple hues. Just some thoughts while we wait . . . and wait . . . :)
I agree, once they figure out the QC on these we will be in for a real treat. I couldn't seem to get the current SXRD XBR without issues, puirple blacks, green blobs, etc. on every one they sent me. So I am hoping the new line will have this under control. The ironic thing for me is that I was of the small minority that actually liked the "dumbo ears" and now I will lose them if I pursue one of the newer models.....go figure.
post #203 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Heat
I agree, once they figure out the QC on these we will be in for a real treat. I couldn't seem to get the current SXRD XBR without issues, puirple blacks, green blobs, etc. on every one they sent me. So I am hoping the new line will have this under control. The ironic thing for me is that I was of the small minority that actually liked the "dumbo ears" and now I will lose them if I pursue one of the newer models.....go figure.
I'm not at all sure you're in the minority on the "dumbo ears" (I like to think of them as flying buttresses). Although the majority of posts about the speakers are negative, this doesn't mean much since people who don't like them are much more likely to post than those who don't have a problem with them. Also, if Sony's continuing to put the side speakers on the high end 06 models, I'm sure their market research has told them something about how the majority feels about this design.
post #204 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Someday, they'll figure out a way to have detachable speakers that can either be pluged into the sides, the bottom or left off all together.
post #205 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:

I really am.

I would just like people who purport to have new info to actually provide it. :)
post #206 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Heat
Help!! Someone talk me down! I think I might be just about to cave in and get a 60"er--now. I have been following these danged threads daily. I was ready to buy in Jan. but CES and green blobs made me wait. I have been patiently holding out for 1. less depth, and to a lesser extent, 2. green blob resolution, and lastly, 3. 1080p in.

But...

1. My GF is becoming *very* impatient, tapping her toe: "I wiiiisssssh we had the new TVvvvvv."

2. The consensus of the rumor mill is seeming to indicate that the skinnier cabinets (depth-wise) may not be until 2007.

3. Green blobs/color un-uniformity seem better in later builds. Plus, I will probably go BB with a protection plan. Any hint of a bad blob and I can switch it out for a new one, right??

4. Like DesertHeat, I kinda like the ears (though I would probably go xbr in the next gen and those purportedly will have the ears).

Would I be making a big mistake to buy now? (I know this issue has been discussed a length, I know I can't wait forever for the next big thing, but as you all know it is a pretty big purchase. I could use any validation I can get :o)
post #207 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

toofargone

If you're having to ask for other's validation, then you shouldn't.

You should make these decisions on your own.
post #208 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofargone
Help!! Someone talk me down! I think I might be just about to cave in and get a 60"er--now. I have been following these danged threads daily. I was ready to buy in Jan. but CES and green blobs made me wait. I have been patiently holding out for 1. less depth, and to a lesser extent, 2. green blob resolution, and lastly, 3. 1080p in.

... stuff deleted

Would I be making a big mistake to buy now? (I know this issue has been discussed a length, I know I can't wait forever for the next big thing, but as you all know it is a pretty big purchase. I could use any validation I can get :o)
I, too, have been perseverating over this decision for months now. I thought that CES or the Sony line show would make the decision easier, but since there were no release dates announced at either time, it wasn't clear if it would be worth it to wait. But now 3 months have passed.

Since i've already waited 3 months, waiting another 2-3 for the new models or a price drop on the current models doesn't seem too bad. When they're finally out, I hope to pick up the 2005 50XBR1 for $500 less than it is now, or the new 55" A2000. It depends on the actual specs of the 2006 models--DRC MF2 would swing me to the non-XBR.

p.s. I like the side speakers on the 2005's.
post #209 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdroh
I, too, have been perseverating over this decision for months now.
Perseveration is a serious problem. You should have it looked into. ;)
post #210 of 3969 Old 04-13-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the speakers, too. I think the 3 dimensional qualities of the XS/XBR cabinet creates "floating effect" for the actual screen which I find quite aesthetically pleasing. I understand the complaints of people who can't use the enclosed width and/or have limited space, but their complaints are subjective. Maybe this lower level A2000 series will help such people.

Speaking of which, the continued speculation on the model numbers is quite amusingly reminiscent of the old "SXRD in Oct/Nov" thread where people with "insider info" saying the SXRD was going to be the KDF-E50A10. :D

But yeah, if someone is ready and wanting to buy, I wouldn't advise waiting. Good deals on the 2005's (80% of the original MSRP and lower can be had at even the big box B&M stores like Jerk It City and Worst Buy) and I don't really see closeouts being much better than what's out there now... Further, improvements for the 06 look like they'll be incremental, if at all substantial and I'm expecting the new ones to go at a premium when they're first out. 1080p inputs probably the biggest, but that won't be worth much until there is actually native 1080p content to come out of a BD player. HD-DVD is only going to be 1080i initially, so that's a wash. X360 is only 1080i max with the large majority of games being 720p.

Now if someone is teetering on the fence or could use the time for more secure funding, I would advise waiting, OTOH, keeping in mind the likely difference in pricing between a 2005 now (or in the near future) versus the release pricing on the 2006...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page