Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Thanks. I don't know of any btest that could confirm if it was 8 or 10 bit processing. If anyone wants or needs to add anything or has questions about what was or wasn't covered, please add it to the thread;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=674513

It seems like a gradient with 1024 gradations displayed from an HDMI connection (remember that DVI is only 8 bit, also) would allow you to see the difference. A 10 bit set should display this far more smoothly than an 8 bit set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 01:04 PM

After a lot of research, and be lucky to find an internet site (ONECALL in Spokane Washington) which has the HLS6187W (in-stock) and TR50X3B stand and a very good warranty program, all for a very good good price.

The 4 year extended warranty program (5 year total) has a lemon clause, lamp, is transferable, and in-home service. ALso, if you don't use the service, they will refund a portion of the cost back to you - SUPER DEAL - Still, you to wait for 5 years t collect it. This site is also an authorized dealer of SAMSUNG.

I should have the unit delivered on this Wednesday, four days from now. Whoh!

They still have some in stock, so call them 866.240.9991 and ask for Patrick.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:47 PM

Their on line price is full msrp. That is not a deal.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

wouterkcs = patrick?
lol, j/k

to each his own...
Old 05-06-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

For North Texas readers, and I know there are a few on here, here is my experience. I went out today to try to buy a HLS5687W. Went to Sears, CC, BB and Tweeter. Only one store had any HLSxx87's in stock and on display and it was Sears, a HLS6187. But they told me that they are only going to carry the 50" and the 61". BB had the 61" in the system but no info on any other model and said that Magnolia was only going to carry the LED HLS5679, and the HLSxx87's would be in the regular floor displays. CC had none to show me but did have it in the system and offered to special order one with two day delivery - for full MSRP. Tweeter - no idea when they might get any HLS-xx87/88 at all.

Needless to say, very frustrating, since several have reported buying sets at BB and CC, some getting them to match the PowerBuy price. Does anybody on here from Texas own one of these sets yet, especially a 56"?
Old 05-06-2006, 03:15 PM

Liked: 13
Ok, So CC delivered my new set this AM. Here's a rundown on it. I'm using HDMI from Cable box and DVD player. The pic is amazing, after tweaking using DVE and the THX Optimizers on some DVDs. I have DNIE turned off all inputs. PQ is super! Xbox 360 games blow me away.

Areas for improvement: can't use the "my color" feature unless DNIE is on.
Optical out does not pass 5.1 or DTS sound.
"my color" is useless since you can't see program material when trying to use it, they have a picture that comes up and it's really hard to notice any changes.

Good items: menu map is great
switching between inputs is quick
set turns on much faster than expected, about 15 seconds, if that
blacks are deep and whites are white, red is red and the green is very good if slightly saturated
PQ is SUPER!

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
Energy Connoisseur Series Speakers
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
Old 05-06-2006, 04:03 PM

No, I am located in California, Patrick is in Spokane.

I ahve contacted many internet sites, and suggest the following:

1) ONECALL includes shipping -- other sides have lower prices, but charge you from $150 to $499 to ship the unit.
2) They have the unit in stock (no one else have) - you can pre-order, but if you order today, even if they expect their first shipping on 5/10, because of the number of pre-orders they have received they can't assure me that the unit will be shipped before World Cup soccer starts on June 9th. (5 weeks from now)
3) With internet buying, ALWAYS get a quote from a salesman --- in all cases, the prices they quoted to me were lower than what was stated on their website.
4) Many sites have no stock on the SAMSUNG stand TR50X3B
5) I am paying NO tax (as I would have with TVA), and based on the internet sites, they were the cheapest by a long shot.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdspringer98 View Post

{snip}...Optical out does not pass 5.1 or DTS sound...{snip}

Finally, thank you for providing this (disappointing) information!

Can you speak to the issue of audio delay? Are you using the Sammy for your sound or are you going STB to AVR via toslink/dcx?

Thanks for your report!

Theo
Old 05-06-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

has anyone who has one of the HLS 1080p models done any extensive testing as far as gaming lag? like try hooking up a genesis through composite or a playstation through s-video? actually, all inputs...rf and component included.. with 'game mode' on AND off, testing timing sensitive games.. not much has been said of this so far...
Old 05-06-2006, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this true for any signal? Can you pass an OTA signal from the set to a receiver as 5.1DD?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is a newbie question but I need to know since I looked at a 87 model today at BB. If optical out does not pass 5.1 or DTS, is there any way of getting 5.1 from the TV to the receiver? Do you just have to settle for 2 channel when you are watching HD programming with 5.1 sound?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, just trying to inform myself before I buy...

THANKS
Old 05-06-2006, 09:49 PM

5.1 output is passed for OTA HD Channels, it is not passed from the HDMI 5.1 Inputs. HDMI 5.1 Input is converted to 2 channel and then output through optical.

I can confirm this, look at the block diagrams of the board in the post "Just what's inside a Sammy 'S' 1080P DLP?"
Old 05-06-2006, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

It seems like a gradient with 1024 gradations displayed from an HDMI connection (remember that DVI is only 8 bit, also) would allow you to see the difference. A 10 bit set should display this far more smoothly than an 8 bit set.

DVI and HDMI are the same. HDMI is single-link DVI-D and PCM-capable, 8-channel digital audio rolled into one cable. DVI is capable of 10bpc, just as HDMI is, absolutely no signal difference. Hence why DVI <-> HDMI adapters/cables are commonplace and cheap.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:22 AM

I've have xbox 360 connected via component video, no lag that I can detect. As far a cable goes and dvd goes I have them connected via HDMI to the TV but audio direct to my Denon via Optical. Same with Xbox 360. No delay issues on any front, perfect synch.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
Energy Connoisseur Series Speakers
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
Old 05-07-2006, 05:47 AM

When will we get to see some more pics!?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Well it's finally installed. The TV that was replaced was a Mitsu 55413. I've had it calibrated 2 times over the last 2.5 years by an ISF tech. I thought my picture on the Mitsu was incredible. My oh my was I shocked! The Mitsu always had problems with high contrast pics such as a suit with lots of stripes. The Sammy displays this flawlessly. CBS news is broadcast in HD in DC and this morning the woman newscaster was wearing a suit coat that had tons of black and white dots. The Sammy displayed it with ease. The most suprising factor was the video from my Pioneer Elite 59AVi. I am finally able to use the HDMI with the Sammy so I immediately hooked it up. Nemo was already in the 59AVi so I played it. I never knew what I was missing. I thought the movie looked awesome with the Mitsu. I saw textures everywhere that the Mitsu never displayed. I really, really wanted a JVC 61R1U. My car was totalled a few weeks ago and we just shelled out $45,000 to finish the basement. I truly thought I was settling for the 6187. This is one hell of a settlement. I would like to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart. All the information here led me to this gem of a TV.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Can anyone report if the set has the long standing aduio sync issue??
Someoen that is using analog audio on a receiver w/o a adjustable delay.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

I used component cables for the better part of yesterday and did not notice any sync issues.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

I've have xbox 360 connected via component video, no lag that I can detect. As far a cable goes and dvd goes I have them connected via HDMI to the TV but audio direct to my Denon via Optical. Same with Xbox 360. No delay issues on any front, perfect synch.

That is good to hear...thanks for reporting this.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Old 05-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

I've made a note of the source for cables, thanks.
Are you saying Monster Cables are unneccesary, or just don't buy them at inflated prices from the big box retailers?

Monster cables are great cables. That being said, they are of no better quality than the cables from bluejeans cable or several other manufacturers. Bluejeans cable tests their cables thoroughly. This is especially important for long distance runs with cables such as HDMI cables which inherently are terrible for long distance runs. The only thing I don't like about their connections on analog cables is how far they stick out. They use the highest quality connectors I've ever worked with. They are tight and have alot of support for the wire, but they require a couple of extra inches behind audio equiptment. I myself have never used monoprice, but from the feedback here, they are good.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus View Post

Monster cables are great cables. That being said, they are of no better quality than the cables from bluejeans cable or several other manufacturers. Bluejeans cable tests their cables thoroughly. This is especially important for long distance runs with cables such as HDMI cables which inherently are terrible for long distance runs. The only thing I don't like about their connections on analog cables is how far they stick out. They use the highest quality connectors I've ever worked with. They are tight and have alot of support for the wire, but they require a couple of extra inches behind audio equiptment. I myself have never used monoprice, but from the feedback here, they are good.

I'll give you all a vote of confidence for monoprice. Excellent service from my experience.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus View Post

I used component cables for the better part of yesterday and did not notice any sync issues.

How is your audio connected? What receiver are u using?
Quote:

just don't buy them at inflated prices from the big box retailers?

...........or at any price.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedVisual View Post

DVI and HDMI are the same. HDMI is single-link DVI-D and PCM-capable, 8-channel digital audio rolled into one cable. DVI is capable of 10bpc, just as HDMI is, absolutely no signal difference. Hence why DVI <-> HDMI adapters/cables are commonplace and cheap.

And of course I knew this. This is what happens when you don't think when posting something.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

or at any price.

Please explain....stay away from the Monster Brand or what?

to each his own...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They are completely overpriced.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterkcs View Post

No, I am located in California, Patrick is in Spokane.

I ahve contacted many internet sites, and suggest the following:

1) ONECALL includes shipping -- other sides have lower prices, but charge you from $150 to $499 to ship the unit.
2) They have the unit in stock (no one else have) - you can pre-order, but if you order today, even if they expect their first shipping on 5/10, because of the number of pre-orders they have received they can't assure me that the unit will be shipped before World Cup soccer starts on June 9th. (5 weeks from now)
3) With internet buying, ALWAYS get a quote from a salesman --- in all cases, the prices they quoted to me were lower than what was stated on their website.
4) Many sites have no stock on the SAMSUNG stand TR50X3B
5) I am paying NO tax (as I would have with TVA), and based on the internet sites, they were the cheapest by a long shot.

I'm still not seeing where the deal is here. Like was said, that's full MSRP (sure you can negotiate, but I can do that at the Best Buy up the street and have the TV later today if that were the issue), and a full $600 more than TVA PB (which also has free shipping, and no tax for most), and TVA's warranty is also half as much. Not to mention if you finance through TVA you get ANOTHER 5% off, so we're talking an $800 difference for the exact same TV with both having free shipping.

I guess if you need to get it in a week it would save you the tax over a local retailer, though you'd get it sooner locally. And if you can wait a bit longer you can save nearly a grand on the PB.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

Old 05-07-2006, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got my HLS5687 today and have it connected to my SA 8300 HD cable box with a HDMI cable, I was using the HDMI setting on the cable box when I had my SXRD connected but with the Samsung that setting only works with HD channels.
If I go to a non HD channel the TV gives me an error message saying weak or no signal.
the only way I could get it to display non HD stuff is to chagne the setting on the cable box to Fixed output.

has anyone had a problem like this? maybe the samsung is more sensitive to a weak signal than the sony?

Mike
Old 05-07-2006, 11:18 AM

Does anyone know what version of firmware the 87 series is using....1.3? I have not heard anyone say and I cant seem to find it anywere. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:10 PM

First Impressions of my new HL-S 6187:
Only two hours into this set and I am loving it! I like this much better than my 4 defective sxrd's. I won't know until tonight exactly how close the black level is to the sxrd but the clarity and overall picture detail is amazing. I notice absolutely no sparklies. xbox360 games= no lag. ps2 game (gt4 in 480p)= no lag. So far I could not be happier with my decision. Will report back again tonight or tomorrow. Great job Samsung; a homerun imho!
Old 05-07-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the HLS models have the cover/shroud on the DMD chip? Just thought of the whole hashmark reflections and light/dark/light spots from the HLR 1080p Owner's Thread...

Tags
Samsung , Displays