Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #631 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paesan View Post

I tried onecall like was suggested in an ealier post and they are very willing to negotiate. Even though their price is listed as msrp they will do lower. I am ending up paying 140 more for the 6187 plus the matching stand than going with the PB. They are in stock and it was shipped out yesterday. After waiting 2 years and finding out I was 47th for the 6187 PB. I didn' t want to wait any longer. Now, what do I do with my 36' sony xbr crt that weighs around 260lbs.

I sold my kv-36xbr800 to our housekeeper for $500 ( I hope it is o.k. to post this because I put the $ amount I sold it for; please forgive me if it is not), she got a great deal and I got rid of the 246lb gorilla; imho these sets are only going to be more difficult to unload because of the 4x3 format. You could also try craigslist.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwblah View Post

I'm happy to report I was also able to get a BB brick and mortar to price match the TVA PB tonight. And no pressure on an extended warranty, either. The guy just said "I assume you've done research on warranties..." and instantly gave up.

Thanks to the people who gave the tips.

So what is everyone's opinions on extended warranties, like the various types from TVA and from BB? Is it worth it to get them or is it a waste? Also is it worth it to get bulb warranties if I only have the TV on 4-5 hours per day? Not sure it will wear out within the warranty period with that amount of watching...
post #633 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

...she got a great deal and I got rid of the 246lb gorilla...

How much did the TV weigh?
post #634 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 05:08 AM

After months of researching makes and models I've decided to pull the trigger on a 5687 sammy. I still lean slightly towards the sxrd as far as pq but when given a quality, dedicated hd feed over hdmi this set is obviously an incredible value. Perhaps I've missed the answer to this question somewhere in this thread but here it goes... I have direct tv with a three satellite dish for local broadcasts. I realize that I'll need the hd receiver but will I also have to upgrade this dish? There's been a lot of discussion on cables, signal feeds, etc. What about the satellite cable that goes from the dish to the receiver box. Should this be upgraded and to what to optimize signal quality?
post #635 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHenning37 View Post

So what is everyone's opinions on extended warranties, like the various types from TVA and from BB? Is it worth it to get them or is it a waste? Also is it worth it to get bulb warranties if I only have the TV on 4-5 hours per day? Not sure it will wear out within the warranty period with that amount of watching...

I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything. They're generally big profit items, and in the long run you're better off to avoid them.

I'm making an exception with my new 6187, though, and purchasing an extended warranty. I've decided, at least in this case, the peace of mind will be worth the cost. Keep in mind also that you can purchase an extended warranty from a 3rd party...generally up to 90 days from the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty. Don't feel pressured to buy one from the store at the time of sale. You have time to shop around for your best deal.

I'm passing on the lamp warranty. For one thing, there are too many strings attached. For example, it only covers a limited number of replacements, and only covers you if the lamp burns out within a certain number of hours.
Instead, I plan on buying a spare lamp to have on hand. I'd rather have the ability to replace it immediately than to have to mail the old one in and wait for a replacement. It would be just my luck to have the lamp go in the middle of the Superbowl with a houseful of guests.
post #636 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 05:55 AM

First time poster. I got my 5087 yesterday. Thanks to all on this forum. This is my first HDTV. I love it so far. No problems.
post #637 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Now, what do I do with my 36' sony xbr crt that weighs around 260lbs.

Makes a great boat anchor....................

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #638 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimus View Post

I was just wondering why so many people seemed to not like the DNIe. I happen to prefer having it on. I think it makes the images look so much sharper. Whenever I test out the Demo, I always prefer how having the DNIe on as opposed to off.

I too like the picture better with DNIe turned on and I have been on the form for about 3 months and think there is something wrong with me by liking it this way. I have tried the demo with hockey, baseball, movie and even local news. I have tried about every other day waiting for it to look better with it turned off. I have asked the wife and neighbor and all like it better with it turned on. Good to hear I am not the only one. The TV is awesome on thing I did use was a better HDMI cable then the one that came with my TIVO DVR, that made a big differance.
post #639 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwblah View Post

I'm happy to report I was also able to get a BB brick and mortar to price match the TVA PB tonight. And no pressure on an extended warranty, either. The guy just said "I assume you've done research on warranties..." and instantly gave up.

Thanks to the people who gave the tips.

Please tell us the location of the BB that did the price match for you.
post #640 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwoo View Post

I also had a chance to price match BB B&M for the HD-S6187 I was just going in to buy the stand, (which was cheaper than TVA), but then the tv sales person said he would see what he could do, and went to his manager. At the end of the deal i got it for the TVA (non-powerbuy price), + $100 GC from the reward zone, and free delivery!. It came in 2 days, and was delivered just as promised. I live in WA, so tax was a non-issue for me (i had to pay tax either way, TVA or BB). Hope this helps and good luck w/ the Pricematching.

I went to the manager at BB and CC and showed them the TV Authority powerbuy price and both said that I was nuts and good luck.

John McAdams
post #641 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 AM

I did it - I placed my order for the HL-S6188W at Tweeter and it is due in on May 15th. I owned a HP 65" DLP (actually 2 if you include the replacement) for a about month. I finally returned it because of quality issues.

One of the things I didn't like about the PQ was its inability to show smooth gradations of color (esp fog, smoke and darker scenes). It also had issues with skin tones looking blochy (yellow/greenish) I am hoping the 10bit color in the new Sammy will make a huge difference. The HP was 8 bit.

I read a few conflicting posts on this thread about how reliable the May 15th date is. My Sales Rep at Tweeter has placed a call to his buyer and he is waiting to hear back on how solid the 15th date is.

Can't wait
post #642 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

I went to the manager at BB and CC and showed them the TV Authority powerbuy price and both said that I was nuts and good luck.

CC said "no way I can touch those guys" but he did do very good on everything once I added a stand and DTV HDDVR.
post #643 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:

{snip}.... Now, what do I do with my 36' sony xbr crt that weighs around 260lbs.

Pick a charitable organization like a shelter, halfway house, rehabilitation center or the like and donate it to them. They will usually find a way to pick it up and you can claim its fair value on your taxes. It's a WIN-WIN.

Theo
post #644 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 08:55 AM

Any new updates for stands on the 6187? Seen a couple here in the forums that you guys seemed to like.
Im still iffy on the stand - cant seem to find one that is going towork for me. I figure ill pick up the stand before the TV arrives

Hello Moto!
post #645 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 AM

I am purchasing my TV w/ American Express, who will double the Samsung warranty. Plus I get the points. I am thinking in two years, the prices will be low enough that I would be too worried about buying a bulb or even a new one.
post #646 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivallt View Post

Why is HDMI 1.3 important?

It's not. ...At least not to a TV. HDMI 1.3 would be useful for an AV receiver so that the additional audio modes can be supported. Which in turn will be nice in another year or so once Blu Ray players actually support some of the upcoming 8 channel audio formats.

Wanting these new HDTVs to support HDMI 1.3 is pointless...
post #647 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 11:17 AM

Just got my old CRT replaced through warranty, and picked up the 6187 last week. Everything has been great until today, a dark shadow appeared in the left bottom corner of the screen. It is there for DVD/hdtv. I am not sure if it is lamp issue or what. It is an odd shape and doesn't seem to go away. It just appeared all the sudden after several hours of viewing. Please give suggestions.
post #648 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman126 View Post

Just got my old CRT replaced through warranty, and picked up the 6187 last week. Everything has been great until today, a dark shadow appeared in the left bottom corner of the screen. It is there for DVD/hdtv. I am not sure if it is lamp issue or what. It is an odd shape and doesn't seem to go away. It just appeared all the sudden after several hours of viewing. Please give suggestions.

It's not shaped like a cockroach, I hope!
post #649 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I tried onecall like was suggested in an ealier post and they are very willing to negotiate. Even though their price is listed as msrp they will do lower. I am ending up paying 140 more for the 6187 plus the matching stand than going with the PB. They are in stock and it was shipped out yesterday. After waiting 2 years and finding out I was 47th for the 6187 PB. I didn' t want to wait any longer. Now, what do I do with my 36' sony xbr crt that weighs around 260lbs.

My experience was very similar. I wanted to take advantage of the TVA Power Buy but the aspect of being the 80+ person on the 6187 list translated to longer than I could wait. We have company coming for Memorial Day week and needed (wanted) the set in place by then. OneCall came very close to the Powerbuy price and my 6187 is currently on a truck on it's way to be delivered by 5/17.
post #650 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
By the book Best Buy only matches retail stores and it has the be the exact same model.

If the department/store is down in revenue for the day, and you come in late right before closing and buying a Tv could bring them over, the manger could could make an exception. Don't try and do this before 9:00PM.

The managers at the BB I work at are always blabbing on and on and on about hitting revenue for the day. I really don't care how we do since I'm not on commission, but it could be a powerful tool for you guys.
post #651 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 12:56 PM

I expect "the call" shortly, and I decided to make a decision on bulb replacement warranty vs. buy one to put in closet. FWIW, I called two companies; the xx87 bulb is not yet available. "Expect" about $200/230.
post #652 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

After a long shop it has been settled on that the 6187 will be the one. We like the sxrd PQ a LITTLE better but considering the is a piece of furniture looks count, and that pushed it over the top. Ive read most of these posts and i didnt really find this topic so if i missed it sorry. I was so concerned about PQ i failed to realize that im not running this through a receiver and external speakers, so my question to you guys is how is the audio quality on this set?
post #653 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

By the book Best Buy only matches retail stores and it has the be the exact same model.

If the department/store is down in revenue for the day, and you come in late right before closing and buying a Tv could bring them over, the manger could could make an exception. Don't try and do this before 9:00PM.

The managers at the BB I work at are always blabbing on and on and on about hitting revenue for the day. I really don't care how we do since I'm not on commission, but it could be a powerful tool for you guys.

That's some good advice. I'm in the Princeton area too. Do you work at the Best Buy off Rt.1? I was in the other day actually talking to one of the Magnolia guys and he seemed to know his stuff. But they only had the 56" on display and it looked mighty small compared to the 61"+ tvs in the Magnolia room.

For awhile I was considering the 65" HP but after the problems I've read about, I'm thinking about trying the Samsung now that it too can accept 1080P through HDMI. That was the key feature I've been shopping around for.

Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-151FD, Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Pioneer BDP-320, Panasonic DMP-BD35, Onkyo TX-SR603X, Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD, Logitech Harmony for 360
post #654 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF View Post

I expect "the call" shortly, and I decided to make a decision on bulb replacement warranty vs. buy one to put in closet. FWIW, I called two companies; the xx87 bulb is not yet available. "Expect" about $200/230.

The samsung parts store shows the bulb in stock for 233.87
post #655 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 02:48 PM

I have a new 5687W, and I love it. The picture is awesome in HD. Question for you all, I am noticing a bluish-tint (almost looks like a smudge) all the time in the bottom left hand corner. It is there all the time, on all channels. It is not in any of the other corners. Any ideas? I called Samsung and it looks like they are going to send a tech out here soon to investigate it.

Thanks
post #656 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

I sold my kv-36xbr800 to our housekeeper for $500 ( I hope it is o.k. to post this because I put the $ amount I sold it for; please forgive me if it is not), she got a great deal and I got rid of the 246lb gorilla; imho these sets are only going to be more difficult to unload because of the 4x3 format. You could also try craigslist.com

I took your advise (craigslist.com) on how to sell the tv. Well, I have a buyer already and in the same city. I am selling the sony 36' kv36xbr400 plus stand for $600.00...................Woooohoooo. Thanks again. It took me less than a day to sell it!!!!!!!!!
post #657 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan5043 View Post

Haha, yes! You are the best! I went to the BB in Little Falls (just down the road from the CC in Wayne) and referenced YOU by saying that the BB in Wallingford, CT Price-Matched the TVA price, and then they did as well! I don't even know if there IS a BB in Wallingford, but the guy assumed there was and wrote "Price-Match" on the receipt. He also mentioned that the store doesn't PM online stores, but apparently they do PM other BB stores that PM online stores! I still had to pay for shipping (even though I live down the road) but there was NO pressure for a warranty or stand at all. Good experience, and I also learned that NO CC carries the 61 inch 87 series (HLS-6187W) as of right now, but they are likely to in the near future. That's why I went to BB, but it was weird how I read every page of this thread and didn't pick that up. Well, now you all know. Just ordered DishHD last night and am now anxiously awaiting my set (which arrives just in time for Mother's Day)! Thanks Rdy4aHDTV!

Why are so many of you anti extended warranty? Tweeter told me that bulbs for the new HLS series may be $400 a pop (obviously, could have been a hard-sell for the warranty). So, in actuality, the warranty would cost about $200 over five years (after one free bulb replacement).
post #658 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrad View Post

Why are so many of you anti extended warranty? Tweeter told me that bulbs for the new HLS series may be $400 a pop. So, in actuality, the warranty would cost about $200 over five years (after one free bulb replacement).

Someone has posted that the bulb lists on Samsung parts site at 233. Some warranties require that the bulb go within the stated life (e.g. 5000 hours). If you don't need it, or don't get 5000 hours on the tv during the duration of the warranty, you don't get the bulb.

Each individual has their own criteria.
post #659 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I took your advise (craigslist.com) on how to sell the tv. Well, I have a buyer already and in the same city. I am selling the sony 36' kv36xbr400 plus stand for $600.00...................Woooohoooo. Thanks again. It took me less than a day to sell it!!!!!!!!!

That's it, Craigslist here I come. Thanks!
post #660 of 21399 Old 05-11-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scengineer View Post

Someone has posted that the bulb lists on Samsung parts site at 233. Some warranties require that the bulb go within the stated life (e.g. 5000 hours). If you don't need it, or don't get 5000 hours on the tv during the duration of the warranty, you don't get the bulb.

Each individual has their own criteria.

Here is the bulb for the "66," "86" and "87" series (and presumably the "88" too):

BP96-01578A

Samsung PN59D7000 | Uverse VIP2250 | Samsung BDD5500 | Apple TV 2
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page