Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 265 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #7921 of 21398 Old 09-28-2006, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, had anyone figured a way to get the audio to sync up with the picture? My video is ahead of my audio.. I have tested it and yes, the tv is actually introducing the audio delay.. Anything I can change in the service menu? You wouldn't think they would sell these items with a lag like that.. Crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 21398 Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothsl View Post

So, had anyone figured a way to get the audio to sync up with the picture? My video is ahead of my audio.. I have tested it and yes, the tv is actually introducing the audio delay.. Anything I can change in the service menu? You wouldn't think they would sell these items with a lag like that.. Crazy!

I think a huge majority of members here don't even use the TV speakers and therefore then don't get any lag at all. Have you thought of investing in a cheap receiver that has at least a couple of optical cable inputs for sound? That's all you need.
post #7923 of 21398 Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Maaaaan, I'm getting kind of scared of buying a Samsung DLP now. Seems lately that every post in this thread is someone finding some little picture defect.

The geometry and pincushion problems I heard of worry me the most. I HATE displays with geometry and pincushion problems. Those problems are some of the main reasons I switched from a extremely high quality NEC CRT monitor to a LCD for my PC.

Someone comfort me.
post #7924 of 21398 Old 09-28-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey everyone,

I went over to the remote control thread and couldn't really find much information for this set. So is anyone using a Harmony 880 remote for this HLS5088 and did you have problems when you added the set to teh remote. I have been trying and it doesn't work. Is there something special I have to do with this set?
post #7925 of 21398 Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Maaaaan, I'm getting kind of scared of buying a Samsung DLP now. Seems lately that every post in this thread is someone finding some little picture defect.

The geometry and pincushion problems I heard of worry me the most. I HATE displays with geometry and pincushion problems. Those problems are some of the main reasons I switched from a extremely high quality NEC CRT monitor to a LCD for my PC.

Someone comfort me.

I suspect that very few people here really knows what geometry issues are. You have not lived until you have tried to adjust (from a tech point of view) the early flatscreen CRT video monitors. One of the 1st, if not the 1st was a Zenith. Consider the electron gun at the back of the screen being the point of origin and the screen the destination. If the screen was round, the distance would be equal at all points. If, however, the screen was flat the distance would change. There would be focus problems, rate of change between the center and the outside edge, etc. In short adjustment was a nightmare.
I can live with the minor "pincushion" problems these sets have.

Carl

--Carl
post #7926 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Someone comfort me.

I'll give the comforting a go.

I had an HLN a few years back. It developed a loud color wheel noise which hit many owners of that set. Samsung later admitted to a manufacturing problem involving color wheel bearings and fixed the issue. But I was in a similar position as you feeling like I perhaps had bought a dud. Samsung replaced the set with an HLP and that set has worked flawlessly ever since. The set is on constantly and has had no problems at all. Once calibrated (I did my own with ColorFacts) there is nothing that can touch the accuracy of the PQ on these sets. I like my HLP so much that I've been watching this thread and am strongly considering upgrading to a HL-S6188.

Unlike CRTs or even multi panel DLP/LCOS there really aren't many geometry problems on these sets. There are absolutely no convergence issues. There are no mechanical adjustments that can send the electron gun askew. Horizontal and vertical centering can be easily adjusted in the service menu. They don't generally have rotation issues and if they do they can be fixed by a technician. The pincushioning people are talking about is remarkably subtle. Every single on of these sets going back to their LCD rear projectors has had a minor pincushion on the edges of 4:3 material. It's not distracting at all and it's part of the price we pay for having a table top rear projector that's less than 2 feet deep. One of the nice things about the geometry on these sets is that once you've got it how you like it, it stays that way forever. CRTs on the other hand will misalign just by aging.

In truth Samsung's quality as a brand is nothing spectacular. Their DVD players are downright embarrassing for instance. But, they do seem to pull off DLPs pretty well. Being the oldest and largest vendor of rear projection DLPs they seem to have a direct line to Texas Instruments. TIs engineering expertise is all over the light engines in these things. The rest is mainly a big plastic box, though Samsung does brings their marvelous CCA colorimetry engine to the table. This allows a calibrator to tune these sets to near perfection. I can't imagine buying a set without a similar technology. They do still manage to screw up some things. Some sets have had trouble responding to discrete on/off commands. Some sets couldn't accept their native rate on HDMI. Others have had that god-awful DNIe feature permanently enabled. Some fail to keep 1:1 pixel mapping enabled after a power cycle. The HL-SXX87s apparently still has this pixel mapping problem.

All in all if one picks the right model of Samsung DLP and gets it calibrated by someone who knows what they're doing these are among the best sets on the market. 95% of the image complaints reported in this massive thread can be fixed by an experienced calibrator. Like tax one simply needs to factor the cost of hiring a calibrator into the cost of any mid to high end set. There's no sense in buying a Bosendorfer and then not calling the piano tuner.

- Collin
post #7927 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 05:21 AM

Got a question on viewing HD and 4:3 sources. I finally got my 6187 and Comcast 3412 DVR/HD cable box. The 3412 was set to 16:9 and initially set to 4:3 override of OFF and every channel I looked at had black bars on left and right, even the HD channels. Then I went into the 3412 menu and selected 480p for 4:3 override choice. Now almost every channel takes up the full screen (a few have thin bars on top and bottom). The only way I can tell SD vs HD channels is the clarity. Nothing looks stretched out. How is this possible? What should be the correct 4:3 override settings in the 3412? The only choices are OFF (recommended for standard TV's) and 480i, 480p, stretch choices (recommended for HDTV's). THe manual says if you have an HDTV and select stretch, 4:3 programs will display full screen in 16:9 aspect ratio. But I see that even with setting it to 480p and heads don't look stretched either way. I haven't tried any display change settings on the TV. I'm pretty happy with every channel taking up the screen and not looking distorted but didn't expect it at all and the SD channels are I think probably a bit fuzzier being displayed larger, right? At least I don't see any curved pincushion looking black side bars at all. Can anyone advise on this?
post #7928 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 106
bored28; Thank you............... 'Political correct' isn't in my vocabulary and doesn't need to be in anyones. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #7929 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 06:23 AM

Sorry to do a quick change in topic, but could someone be so kind as to tell me where I can find what seems to be the "accepted" video settings/tweaks for the xx87 models? I've quickly browsed this thread--perhaps I've missed it??
post #7930 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald View Post

Got a question on viewing HD and 4:3 sources. I finally got my 6187 and Comcast 3412 DVR/HD cable box. The 3412 was set to 16:9 and initially set to 4:3 override of OFF and every channel I looked at had black bars on left and right, even the HD channels. Then I went into the 3412 menu and selected 480p for 4:3 override choice. Now almost every channel takes up the full screen (a few have thin bars on top and bottom). The only way I can tell SD vs HD channels is the clarity. Nothing looks stretched out. How is this possible? What should be the correct 4:3 override settings in the 3412? The only choices are OFF (recommended for standard TV's) and 480i, 480p, stretch choices (recommended for HDTV's). THe manual says if you have an HDTV and select stretch, 4:3 programs will display full screen in 16:9 aspect ratio. But I see that even with setting it to 480p and heads don't look stretched either way. I haven't tried any display change settings on the TV. I'm pretty happy with every channel taking up the screen and not looking distorted but didn't expect it at all and the SD channels are I think probably a bit fuzzier being displayed larger, right? At least I don't see any curved pincushion looking black side bars at all. Can anyone advise on this?

You read my mind! I have the 5687 with the same Comcast 3412 box, and wondered the same..... Anybody else have this set up?? Maybe we should post over on the 3412 thread? Bob
post #7931 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schererbuzz View Post

Yes. It's in this thread somewhere warning about placing this product in an enclosed area.

I am not aware of this. As you can see by the attached image, my 5687 is installed in an entertainment center and I have experienced no overheating problems. I have checked the rear of the TV after several hours of watching and don't think there is a problem. I have about 12 inches of space in the rear between the back of the TV and the wall. Obviously, the area around the TV is pretty small, plus there is a removable panel on the bottom in front of the stand. I guess it depends on the total environment, but I have not had a problem

post #7932 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 View Post

Sorry to do a quick change in topic, but could someone be so kind as to tell me where I can find what seems to be the "accepted" video settings/tweaks for the xx87 models? I've quickly browsed this thread--perhaps I've missed it??

[From Eliab, a calibrator who frequents these forums]

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

I currently use these settings on my HL-S4266 and am very pleased with the picture. If your used to the torch settings on the Samsungs then it may take some time to get used to the new image.
post #7933 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

Hey everyone,

I went over to the remote control thread and couldn't really find much information for this set. So is anyone using a Harmony 880 remote for this HLS5088 and did you have problems when you added the set to teh remote. I have been trying and it doesn't work. Is there something special I have to do with this set?

If you do a search on this thread you will find some postings on this. There are several of us 880 users in here. We have all set up the remote to work just fine, so I don't know why you might be having problems. I suggest you call Harmony tech support, they are pretty responsive.
post #7934 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Someone comfort me.

How about one more comforter? I was concerned about the pincushion anomaly initially, but if you turn out to be like me, you will be so hooked on watching HD material that you will rarely ever watch SD material in the 4:3 aspect ratio (where these problems are noticeable). If you watch SD, you can either stretch the picture or just not let the slight geometry issue bother you (focusing on the "content" of what you're watching usually serves to make you forget about the pincushioning). And finally, take heart knowing that HD material is increasing as time goes on, and that magical day, when all analog material will cease forever (and with it the dreaded 4:3 picture), will be here before you know it.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #7935 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 07:34 AM

Did any of you purchase the extended warranty from Samsung? Can you tell me how long the converage is and how much it costs? I can't find the info on their website... Many thanks
post #7936 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jank0023 View Post

Can someone provide me their firmdate for their 5687. I just got my replacement from Samnsung, it has minor errors and they are sending another replacement. The new unit's fan is a lot louder The new one has a manufactuer date of Sept so I wanted to compare firmware dates.

Same here. My replacement has a louder fan, and the color wheel still makes a rubbing/grinding noise on spindown after powering off the set. Looks like another replacement going to be coming in.

Not sure what my firmware date is. Haven't bothered looking since I seem to be swaping these out a week after I get them.

JerryT
post #7937 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Someone comfort me.

This Forum is biased towards the negative issues of these sets. You will see far more complaints than accolades. I have owned (2) Samsung DLP sets with no issues. Using DVE my 6187W, specs out well. Only 4% overscan, 1/8" total pincushion, silght inward bowing due to screen-bezel attachment (normal). I have about 500 hours on the set, so far so good. If you are worried about a dud, buy locally.
post #7938 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniogi View Post

Did any of you purchase the extended warranty from Samsung? Can you tell me how long the converage is and how much it costs? I can't find the info on their website... Many thanks

Call Samsung.

Their website has that info under DLP FAQs but that part of their site is not working. Anyway, when it *does* work, all it lists is a phone number to call.
post #7939 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 08:54 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I looked at it. It is pretty expensive and you can't transfer it.

TWD
post #7940 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poob Bubes View Post

Has this happened to anyone else? I have my Xbox 360 hooked up via component cables and I have game mode enabled with the default settings. Well the other day I turned on the system and the colors on the 360 dashboard looked noticeably washed out. So I went into the picture menu and all the settings were just like I left them. So I then used the resest to default option and everything looked normal again, but the slider bars didn't change at all, because they were already set at the defaults. This has happened to me twice so far.

Well this is getting annoying now... this is happening more and more frequently. Can anyone think of any reason why this is occurring? Any help would be appreciated.
post #7941 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poob Bubes View Post

Well this is getting annoying now... this is happening more and more frequently. Can anyone think of any reason why this is occurring? Any help would be appreciated.

I might be able to help. With DNIE on (default) colors are rich and vibrant, however, if DNIE is turned off then colors become washed out unless you change the brightness level. I keep dNIE on for games with game mode on because I see way more detail ( this is a good thing for games imho) without any lag. So in summary, you probably have dnie off when it looks washed out, then reverting to default turns dnie back on. Hope this helps
post #7942 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Here are my issues. Input please;
1. The internal analog tuners are sub par when compared with other tuners I have or had (I pretty much know what to expect on certain 'problem' channels either cable or OTA). Definitely a notch or two below the average).
2. Pinchusining on the set is 1/2" difference between the center and the bottom edge widths. Samsung says spec is 1/4"
3. The QAM tuner firmware arbitrarily re-assigns four channels to fictional channel numbers: 1-1 and 1-2. The real problem is two different channels are assigned to each of the same number. IOW's two on 1-1 and two on 1-2. While that doesn't present a real obstical to just viewing, it prevents me to record the 2nd service of each channle on a AV-HDD through TV Guide because TV Guide can't separate the double entries. The CC has a separate ID for each channel, so for once, they can't be blamed. I called Samsung, got past the useless 1st level support and received one of those "that's the way it is" comments.
4. Regarding PC resolution. I don't get a thing at 1920x1080. The best I can do is 1280x720 using the HDMI input w/ a ATI 9600Pro chipset card. I'm hoping that I won't have to get a new card as I was somewhat sucessful with a 1080 Mits last year. I am running 2k BTW.
Anyone using a older ATI card?

Still looking for input.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #7943 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Great post...Well said. For anyone reading this and having the impression that these TVs are poor has been mislead. When I read the thread, however, I can see how that would be the case. I've had my share of questions/critiques/complaints. In reality though, that is one of the purposes. The TV is great. Otherwise people wouldn't keep exchanging them for another one. They'd go somewhere else. If you read Sony and Mitsubishi threads, you'll see that people there do the exact same thing. This is a place to get questions answered, and to see if there's ways to closer achieve perfection...haha. I posted in an earlier thread that all the technologies (LCOS/SXRD, DLP. LCD, Plasma) all have their inherent problems. If any of them was perfect, than there would not be any of the other technologies...except for price. Before I got my 5688, I had tried out a Mitsubishi DLP (52" 52627) and a Sony 50" XBR1. The Mitsubishi had the same issues as the Samsung. I liked it but wanted 1080p HDMI inputs. The Sony had the green-blob issue. They both had pincushioning, as mentioned in the below post. I didn't see RBE so I opted for DLP and the Samsung came out first. It is a great TV both in terms of picture, and cabinet design, and many people here deep down love their TVs. There's just those little things that are issues, but Samsung is standing behind the TVs and replacing defective ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp View Post

I'll give the comforting a go.

I had an HLN a few years back. It developed a loud color wheel noise which hit many owners of that set. Samsung later admitted to a manufacturing problem involving color wheel bearings and fixed the issue. But I was in a similar position as you feeling like I perhaps had bought a dud. Samsung replaced the set with an HLP and that set has worked flawlessly ever since. The set is on constantly and has had no problems at all. Once calibrated (I did my own with ColorFacts) there is nothing that can touch the accuracy of the PQ on these sets. I like my HLP so much that I've been watching this thread and am strongly considering upgrading to a HL-S6188.

Unlike CRTs or even multi panel DLP/LCOS there really aren't many geometry problems on these sets. There are absolutely no convergence issues. There are no mechanical adjustments that can send the electron gun askew. Horizontal and vertical centering can be easily adjusted in the service menu. They don't generally have rotation issues and if they do they can be fixed by a technician. The pincushioning people are talking about is remarkably subtle. Every single on of these sets going back to their LCD rear projectors has had a minor pincushion on the edges of 4:3 material. It's not distracting at all and it's part of the price we pay for having a table top rear projector that's less than 2 feet deep. One of the nice things about the geometry on these sets is that once you've got it how you like it, it stays that way forever. CRTs on the other hand will misalign just by aging.

In truth Samsung's quality as a brand is nothing spectacular. Their DVD players are downright embarrassing for instance. But, they do seem to pull off DLPs pretty well. Being the oldest and largest vendor of rear projection DLPs they seem to have a direct line to Texas Instruments. TIs engineering expertise is all over the light engines in these things. The rest is mainly a big plastic box, though Samsung does brings their marvelous CCA colorimetry engine to the table. This allows a calibrator to tune these sets to near perfection. I can't imagine buying a set without a similar technology. They do still manage to screw up some things. Some sets have had trouble responding to discrete on/off commands. Some sets couldn't accept their native rate on HDMI. Others have had that god-awful DNIe feature permanently enabled. Some fail to keep 1:1 pixel mapping enabled after a power cycle. The HL-SXX87s apparently still has this pixel mapping problem.

All in all if one picks the right model of Samsung DLP and gets it calibrated by someone who knows what they're doing these are among the best sets on the market. 95% of the image complaints reported in this massive thread can be fixed by an experienced calibrator. Like tax one simply needs to factor the cost of hiring a calibrator into the cost of any mid to high end set. There's no sense in buying a Bosendorfer and then not calling the piano tuner.

- Collin

post #7944 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

I looked at it. It is pretty expensive and you can't transfer it.

Thanks for the info... I got CC to price match a local dealer selling a HL-S5087W for much less, but CC's extended warranty is pretty pricey compared to other online vendors (repair tech and mack at *some*websites, for example). Once I secure a decent priced warranty, I'm think I might take the plunge. You guys know of any options? Thanks again.
post #7945 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

I might be able to help. With DNIE on (default) colors are rich and vibrant, however, if DNIE is turned off then colors become washed out unless you change the brightness level. I keep dNIE on for games with game mode on because I see way more detail ( this is a good thing for games imho) without any lag. So in summary, you probably have dnie off when it looks washed out, then reverting to default turns dnie back on. Hope this helps

I know that isn't the problem. I always keep DNIe off and the colors look fine. The problem is that the colors become washed out without anything being changed on the settings at all. I have reviewed the settings whenever this happens and they are always exactly the same as I left them (DNIe off also) but the picture is washed out. And then when I reset to defaults the color becomes normal again without any of the settings changing at all (except sharpness which i do turn down from the default). And even when reseting to defaults DNIe still remains off.
post #7946 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 12:35 PM

I recently ( 10 days ago ) had my screens replaced ( 6187 ) due to the smudge issues. The tech came to my house, took the front of the tv off and replaced the two old screens with two new ones. Once he was done he pointed out two tiny flaws in the new screen and told me that he was going to order new screens, have his company pick up my television, then replace the screens in the shop. He said he needed to do the work where there was 'more light' and less contamination. Now, they've called and set up an appointment to pick up the television on Monday and return it on Wednesday. I'm not crazy about the tv being transported by some guy in a van. They ensure me they are very careful transporting televisions.

Does anybody out there think I should stand my ground and have the work done again in my house, or let them take the television to their shop? I believe there is another outfit in our city that is an authorized Samsung shop, so I could have them do the work.

Thanks for any advice, Aaron.
post #7947 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

It's a possibility your set is in "Shop Mode" Check the following post.

- Collin

Quote:

The Samsung tech called and quickly diagnosed the problem of the TV being in "shop mode". He said the TV has this mode for reconverting to Dynamic Mode while being on display. That way if some customer plays around with the menu settings, 30 minutes later all reverts back to Dynamic and defaults.

Solution:

1. Power on

2. Press and hold MENU button ON THE TELEVISION FRONT PANEL for 5 seconds.

The TV will blank for one second, and now be out of "shop mode". This mode can be toggled ON or OFF by the same steps above. It then will "hold" your video modes without automatically resetting every 30 minutes.

It worked!

post #7948 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 01:32 PM

Does anybody know if BBY will price match "Add to cart" discount prices?

I'd like for them to match an online retailer post-purchase but the discounted price only shows in the shopping cart.

This is for a 6187 I bought 28 days ago heh.

The online retailer in question does have a local storefront.

Thanks for any info/experiences you can share.

K
post #7949 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterbob View Post

You read my mind! I have the 5687 with the same Comcast 3412 box, and wondered the same..... Anybody else have this set up?? Maybe we should post over on the 3412 thread? Bob

It is extremely hard to believe that noone else here has both a Samsung HL-S DLP and a 3412 DVR. The DVR thread here is basically useless. Is there a specific 3412 thread? If so, let me know the URL.
post #7950 of 21398 Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knouri View Post

Does anybody know if BBY will price match "Add to cart" discount prices?

I'd like for them to match an online retailer post-purchase but the discounted price only shows in the shopping cart.

This is for a 6187 I bought 28 days ago heh.

The online retailer in question does have a local storefront.

Thanks for any info/experiences you can share.

K

Most retail stores will not price match online prices. The reason is that they know that the online stores typically charge more for their other services (shipping) and put the burden on you for returns (pay the shipping fee back to the store). Therefore they say it is the risk you take for ordering online and not purchasing in a store. Some stores may do it, but I doubt that Best Buy would...or they'd lose money.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page