Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 274 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #8191 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
That is what is 'pumping' the black level between scene changes even with DNIe off?

Ok, then is the "DB gain" the one to adust?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

That is what is 'pumping' the black level between scene changes even with DNIe off?

Ok, then is the "DB gain" the one to adust?

In terms of the black levels/DNIe/DB gain, I am not sure if reducing the iris affects that at all. All I know is that by setting it to closed, the light output to the set is cut around 25%.
post #8193 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Rijax, YGPM
post #8194 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralhog View Post

This may not be the proper place to say this but if you haven't seen it, and you get DiscoveryHD, catch Alien Insect: Praying Mantis. Amazing......

I saw it the other night and had to record it just to wow my friends when they come over. So far that was the most amazing picture I've seen on my 6767 since I've had it.
post #8195 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

That's correct. On my MX-850 I have a separate button programmed for each input that I'm using (HDMI1, HDMI2, Component1, S-Video1). I also have discrete codes for the Aspect ratio - one button each for 4x3, 16x9, Zoom1, Zoom2. No need to cycle through the source menu or the P-Size menu, and of course my macros are much easier to program and use.

Save your pennies and get an MX-700 or MX-850. Substantial discounts can be had from SurfRemoteControl.com (an authorized dealer), but you have to ask if there any available (discounts@surfremotecontrol.com)

Probably the wrong forum, but how do you like the MX-50 compared to the Harmony's? I was looking at the MX-900 and MX-950.
post #8196 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM

where can I find comparsion between sxrd a2000 and this samsung . What page, I am newbie on forum and don't got eyes or time to go through all pages. What page should I start reading from

I party like rockstar,and Watch HDTV like its Priority
www.jubril.com
post #8197 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman View Post

Probably the wrong forum, but how do you like the MX-50 compared to the Harmony's? I was looking at the MX-900 and MX-950.

I assume you mean the MX-850. I tried a Harmony once, and I had a terrible time getting it going. I replaced it with the MX-850. There are tons of completely satisfied Harmony users who love their remotes, so I'm sure I was the problem and not the Harmony. But, for whatever reason, I found the MXEditor computer software easier to use than the internet based Harmony. Since I never really got the Harmony up and running, I can't really compare the functionality of the two, but I find the button layout of the MX-850s to be marvelously intuitive. I don't even have to look at it much now. All in all I love the doggone thing.

Jack

post #8198 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

My pos Sammy 5688 didn't survive 3 weeks. Light engine problems and won't get a service rep here for over a week.

Anyone have their's shut off after 15 seconds and give the bulb error with 3 blinking lights? -EL

Oh sure, I've been abducted. Heck, we've all been abducted.
The trick is to keep them from reading your thoughts.
Wear a hat and try to remain thoughtless at all times.
post #8199 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 05:02 PM

Anyone else notice alot less people seem to be getting sets with smudges?

Maybe samsung got the message and told their guys to wear gloves
post #8200 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 05:02 PM

I just got my HL-S5087W from amazon. I've had it for 2 days, then last night when I wasn't around, my roomate said it started smoking and shut off. When I got home, it smelled like electronics had been burning, but the smoke had cleared. Samsung is supposed to be sending a repair guy out, but I haven't heard back from that person. Has anyone seen this happen or heard about it happen? I'm assuming it overheated because of a fan or something, but I don't know anything about DLP's. Any info would be appreciated.
post #8201 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It wouldn't be because it's DLP. Maybe your fan was never working in the first place or got messed up during shipping. That or your roommate messed something up and is making up a story...haha.
post #8202 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman View Post

Definitely the wrong forum, but it'll probably be over 300 pages soon, so I figure the offense is minimal.

I spent an hour at my local Stereoland store playing with a Harmony remote when I was shopping for a 5687W. The show-stopper for me was the number keypad. The keys are packed-in together and felt really vague. I tried over and over again to type-in 4 digit channels, and most of the time it went in wrong. I'll stick with the MX line-up for the tactile feel alone.
post #8203 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Which Harmony? I have the 880 and love it. Took a super short time to set it up on the web and it's the easiest remote to use. Love how it lights up everytime you slightly move it in the dark. It controls my whole setup without a hitch and replaced four remotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i300i View Post

Definitely the wrong forum, but it'll probably be over 300 pages soon, so I figure the offense is minimal.

I spent an hour at my local Stereoland store playing with a Harmony remote when I was shopping for a 5687W. The show-stopper for me was the number keypad. The keys are packed-in together and felt really vague. I tried over and over again to type-in 4 digit channels, and most of the time it went in wrong. I'll stick with the MX line-up for the tactile feel alone.

post #8204 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLFAN05 View Post

Anyone else notice alot less people seem to be getting sets with smudges?

Maybe samsung got the message and told their guys to wear gloves

It was from screen pieces rubbing together. My 6187 received a couple weeks ago and made in August has had zero issues and when I applied the movie configuration settings by Eliab, everything looks good. HD channels look three dimensional to me and are jaw-dropping. I haven't even done the DVE calibration yet. SD channels are disappointing but expected (I hate seeing bars on the side but don't like how people look when stretched out a bit). There are far too little HD channels now. Does anyone know how movies on HBO-HD compare to the same movie on HD-DVD? HBO-HD movies look a little better than the same on regular DVD.
post #8205 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 PM

Just wanted to add to the thread that I just received my new HLS5678. I purchased it from Amazon and it took about 10 days via Eagle shipping. I have a trial subscription to Amazon Prime so the shipping was free. Amazon shipping is customer location and box removal so that's nice - I saved about $350.

Of course, Amazon doesn't allow returns so that's a chance you have to take.

However, the set was delivered in perfect condition with no scratches or smudges on the screen and it working nicely.

I'm still waiting for my local Comcast bozos to activate the CableCards in my new Tivo Series 3 so I'm still watching SD via my old Series 2. I did give the Last Samurai a lookee with my JVC 480p DVD player with composite output and that looked very nice.
post #8206 of 21399 Old 10-06-2006, 09:28 PM

I just saw a big smudge appear on my less than a week old 71". The spot is about 6" by 4"!

I figure it is dust, but where. It could not be in between the screens could it (being that big of spot). I figure that it is on the chip or the lens, but how do I get to them to check it out or clean it? Could i just blow it off with a can of compressed air?

I bought the Tv from ******* and they give you 72 hours to check the set out and it is past that, but i have not had a chance to contact them yet. Do I call Samsung?

What do I need to do?
post #8207 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 01:45 AM

Good Morning All! I have a bit of a favor to ask anyone that would be willing to help a fellow Samsung 1080p owner. I'm looking for stories that pertain to Samsung warranty repairs that left you unsatisfied with the end results. This includes any item, TV or not even thoug DLPs are preferred. I am writing a letter to Samsung's CEO of American Operations, Dong-Jin Oh in an attempt to curtail the quality control issues and some of the mismanaged instances of warranty repair service. A list of these stories would go a long way to show this individual that its customers are not receiving service that is in-line with their so-called misson statement of management. This would only take 5-10 minutes of your time to simply PM with your stories and provide me with an initial or nickname for low-level identification. I would like to thank you all in advance for your help with this matter and perhaps this could possible benefit us all in the future. Cheers!
post #8208 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just saw a big smudge appear on my less than a week old 71". The spot is about 6" by 4"!

I figure it is dust, but where. It could not be in between the screens could it (being that big of spot). I figure that it is on the chip or the lens, but how do I get to them to check it out or clean it? Could i just blow it off with a can of compressed air?

I bought the Tv from ******* and they give you 72 hours to check the set out and it is past that, but i have not had a chance to contact them yet. Do I call Samsung?

What do I need to do?

Don't panic. You're undr (at the very least) Samsung's warranty. Call 1-800-SAMSUNG and they'll take care of it.
post #8209 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald View Post

Does anyone know how movies on HBO-HD compare to the same movie on HD-DVD? HBO-HD movies look a little better than the same on regular DVD.

I don't think I've actuallly seen a movie on HBO that has been released on HD-DVD yet. It seems to me only recently released movies look outstanding on HBO. The rest look just so-so (but 10 times better than viewing on the SD HBO) due to being old. Walk the Line looked pretty good last weekend. I've only seen about 10 HD-DVD's. For me, nothing compares to a recently released HD-DVD when viewing movies.
post #8210 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schererbuzz View Post

I don't think I've actuallly seen a movie on HBO that has been released on HD-DVD yet. It seems to me only recently released movies look outstanding on HBO. The rest look just so-so (but 10 times better than viewing on the SD HBO) due to being old. Walk the Line looked pretty good last weekend. I've only seen about 10 HD-DVD's. For me, nothing compares to a recently released HD-DVD when viewing movies.

I guess then I picked a good time to get a big screen and sign up for HBO-HD because most of the movies I've seen so far on that channel look really great (In Good Company, Walk the Line, etc). The local channels are too infrequently showing full screen 16:9 programming. InHD, TNT-HD, and Discovery HD are all awesome of course. Normal SD HBO is pretty unwatchable. We need more HD channels!!!
post #8211 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg1998 View Post

I recently purchased an HLS-5087W and I have a few questions about resolution quality I'm getting with the DirecTV HD package and my TV:

Note: My living room is pretty small and my viewing distance to the TV is about 7-8 feet.

1) When I watch HD programs from a viewpoint that is straight on, I can see a little fuzziness (or artifacts) when I watch sports on ESPN or local channels.

2) If I stand up with a higher viewpoint and to the left, the screen looks even sharper...almost perfect (but also a little darker due to the angle issues with DLPs).

3) When I watch a normal DVD, the resolution is as good as any DVD I've ever seen considering it's not HD anyways.

So, my question is...is the less-than-perfect picture a result of DirecTV's HD compression, my having to sit too close to the TV, a hardware issue that makes the angled view sharper than straight-on, or my not having the TV calibrated correctly?

My guess is that it's a combo of DirecTV and my viewing distance to such a large screen that is sensitive to signal defects, but I'm just not sure.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have.

I hooked in the OTA antenna and got the same results. A great picture, but not the same excellent one I used to receive with a 30" CRT HDTV.

Is the slight fuzziness a result of a much larger screen? Is a 30" TV better looking because the reduced size eliminates the small defects I notice?

Is this something calibration would fix? The colors seem fine to me on Movie Mode and using the settings recommended here.
post #8212 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg1998 View Post

I hooked in the OTA antenna and got the same results. A great picture, but not the same excellent one I used to receive with a 30" CRT HDTV.

Is the slight fuzziness a result of a much larger screen? Is a 30" TV better looking because the reduced size eliminates the small defects I notice?

Is this something calibration would fix? The colors seem fine to me on Movie Mode and using the settings recommended here.

A bigger Tv is going to magnify much of what a 30 would hide....or be too small to see.

Calibration will help to some degree in this area.
post #8213 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Okay, so I get that overscan can only be temporarily defeated on the 87s but has anybody stumbled across any SM settings that control the *degree* of overscan?

While I would dearly love to be able to just turn overscan off on certain inputs and be done with it being able to minimize it might be an acceptable alternative.

Just thinking out loud...
post #8214 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctavianMagnus View Post

Okay, so I get that overscan can only be temporarily defeated on the 87s but has anybody stumbled across any SM settings that control the *degree* of overscan?

While I would dearly love to be able to just turn overscan off on certain inputs and be done with it being able to minimize it might be an acceptable alternative.

Just thinking out loud...

Electronic overscan (Service menu setting) is global and is either on or off. Mechanical/Optical overscan is part of the light engine design and is always in effect.
post #8215 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 02:49 PM

So no one else has heard of a Samsung DLP smoking before? I'm still waiting to hear back from the repair guy in my area, I called them Friday morning and have heard nothing.
post #8216 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedad View Post

Just wanted to add to the thread that I just received my new HLS5678. I purchased it from Amazon and it took about 10 days via Eagle shipping. I have a trial subscription to Amazon Prime so the shipping was free. Amazon shipping is customer location and box removal so that's nice - I saved about $350.

Of course, Amazon doesn't allow returns so that's a chance you have to take.

However, the set was delivered in perfect condition with no scratches or smudges on the screen and it working nicely.

I'm still waiting for my local Comcast bozos to activate the CableCards in my new Tivo Series 3 so I'm still watching SD via my old Series 2. I did give the Last Samurai a lookee with my JVC 480p DVD player with composite output and that looked very nice.

I did the same thing and got my 6187 set up a couple of days ago. It's great and Amazon/Eagle worked out (knock wood) about as well as I could have hoped for. I saved a lot of money and the TV is pristine. Some friends are coming over tonight for steak and I get to show her off.
post #8217 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopechess View Post

Anyone have this problem with their hls5687w?

My over all picture brightness is about 25% now. It happened all of a sudden, only about 500hours on the bulb.

I had a problem earlier with a spot that was moving on the screen. Probably some foreign object in the light tunnel. The spot was gone by the time the samsung tech came to replace the light engine. We opted not to do the transplant since my spot was gone. This was a month ago.

Now, my screen is very dim. I am having them come out again on tuesday. Would you have them replace the light engine or order a replacement?

thanks!!
jim

My bulb was probably defective out of the box and was dead at 3 weeks.
post #8218 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Okay,

I am experiencing a really strange issue and can't figure out what is going on.

I have a 6188 and a Sony NS75H DVD player using HDMI @1080i. I noticed on dark scenes there is a green glow comiong from the right edge of the screen. It is like green light bleeding onto the screen. It extends about 1 inch into the screen.

Here is the strange part, if I change to 480p and then back to 1080i, it goes away! I don't not see this with my stb over component.

I exchanged the DVD played today, but the new one has the same issue. So I think it is something with the TV, but I can't figure out what.

A light leak wouldn't be resolved with a resolution change. it's not edge noise because it is more like a glowing haze.This seems to have just started...I have had the sony for 28 days and never noticed before last night....I have a pretty critical eye and am sure I would have seen it.

Any ideas.....I have a replacement TV on schedule for delivery just in case. I would rather not exchange the tV for fear of getting one with a bad screen, but this seems like it has to be the set.

ANY IDEAS?
post #8219 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 PM

Hello all:

I connect my PC to 6187W via VGA. It seems that the vertical edges on windows are not straight. Seems like distortion. Anyone have an ideat how to correct this problem? Thanks very much.
post #8220 of 21399 Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald View Post

Which Harmony? I have the 880 and love it. Took a super short time to set it up on the web and it's the easiest remote to use. Love how it lights up everytime you slightly move it in the dark. It controls my whole setup without a hitch and replaced four remotes.

I AGREE bought harmony 880 2 weeks ago...i love it ..even got it to learn my remote for my in window ac..lol..
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page