Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #811 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
When the Perfect Vision reviewed the HL-R5668W they raised a few issues. Mr Merson said there was no tint control for HDMI/Component/Cable card, the contrast expansion and detail enhancement features could not be defeated.

I was wondering if the HL-S series have addressed these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post

Now I'm wanting to upgrade my directv, but the price of the directv hd dvr is ridiculous;

What?? They only cost $500 now, and you can probably get it for $300 w/ rebates. I remember paying $1000 for it when it first came out a couple years ago. Do you live in a market that already receives locals in HD? If you do....I'd agree that you might want to wait. From what I understand now....DTV leases all of their receivers. So, you can get the HR10-250 now (and enjoy it immensely), and the when the HR20 comes out DTV will swap it out for you. Seems like a no brainer to me!!
post #813 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

When the Perfect Vision reviewed the HL-R5668W they raised a few issues. Mr Merson said there was no tint control for HDMI/Component/Cable card, the contrast expansion and detail enhancement features could not be defeated.

I was wondering if the HL-S series have addressed these issues?

Mr Merson should know that tint control isn't relevant with a digital signal. Maybe he miss-spoke.

The "contrast expansion and detail enhancement" features are probably DNIe which can be turned off on older HLM, HLN, and HLP models. The HLR sets required that several service menu items be changed. Mr Merson should have known that as well.

From what I've read from new HLS owners, the user control to turn off DNIe has returned.
post #814 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 08:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

What?? They only cost $500 now, and you can probably get it for $300 w/ rebates. I remember paying $1000 for it when it first came out a couple years ago. Do you live in a market that already receives locals in HD? If you do....I'd agree that you might want to wait. From what I understand now....DTV leases all of their receivers. So, you can get the HR10-250 now (and enjoy it immensely), and the when the HR20 comes out DTV will swap it out for you. Seems like a no brainer to me!!

DirecTV HD DVR is now $249 w/ 1 year contract. But the unit is a complete P.O.S. - it's slow, klunky, buggy, etc.. DirecTV has made no commitment, promises, etc.. to swap these units for the new HR20s and there's no guaranty that they will. Personally, I wouldn't buy one right now... The amount of HD content on DirecTV is truly pathetic compared to Comcast or Dish Network. ...And it will be this way until the new satellites and MPEG4 all come online. At that time the HR20 will make sense and hopefully they won't charge a small fortune for it. ...Not to praise Dish or other providers either. I'm a recent convert to Dish (after DirecTV no-showed for 2 install appointments and I was tired of waiting for my locals in HD). But they got me for over $300 plus $6/month for their HD DVR, so it's not like they just give you the equipment. It's a much nicer unit than the current DirecTV HD DVR in terms of performance and user-friendliness. But still has only 30 hours of HD storage and is not without its own glitches.

If you're starved for HD content (understandable), the best bet is to try and find some OTA HD (very hard in a lot of places to do this). Otherwise you'll have to spend some $$$. Either HD cable, DirecTV or Dish. Or buy a buggy HD-DVD player and a couple movies there's like 6 to pick from right now - hehe.
post #815 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
dishnetwork has a nice hddvr out now, vip622
post #816 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
Well, I wouldn't say that DirecTV is starved for HD content. I have the HD pack, Showtime HD, HBO-HD, and all my locals in HD (DC area). That's not even counting the most important thing....most of the NFL games in HD (I'd like to see that on Dish) This is HD that will actually get watched, unlike most of the "Voom" channels on Dish which are just lame IMO. Since I use the HR10-250 in my main theater, I only get the Fox and NBC locals in HD for that, but I do get all 4 locals in HD on the rest of my HDTVs. As far as the HR10-250 being a P.O.S., I couldn't disagree more. Yes, it may be a little slow at times when you are adjusting season passes and such, but not in normal use (oh yeah....a little slow on the guide too), but I wouldn't say it is klunky or buggy at all. It's worked perfect for me for 2 years and I dare say I'll miss it when the HR20 is released.

Anyway....to get back on topic.....the HR10-250 looks marvelous on the HL-S6187W.
post #817 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

dishnetwork has a nice hddvr out now, vip622

Yep, that's the one I have - nice unit overall. A little buggy on the setup and I've had to reset it once in the two weeks I've owned it because my video was stuttering, but a reset cleared it right up. Way better than the DirecTV unit I used to have.
post #818 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

Anyway....to get back on topic.....the HR10-250 looks marvelous on the HL-S6187W.

Perhaps I've just had bad luck with my HR10 then... It's been replaced twice. The speed in the guide is unbearably slow to the point of aggravation (maybe I'm just too impatient). As I said, it's been replaced twice - once due to software/screen glitches and again for a HDD failure. I decommissioned my 3rd HR10 about 2 months ago when I moved and DirecTV failed to show on multiple occasions to install a 5 LNB dish at my new home. I agree, most of the VOOM channels on Dish are lame, but I also don't have to wait another 6 to 18 months to get all my locals in HD. Dish also doesn't downcovert HDNET and Discovery to 1280x1080 like DirecTV does. You may have a point about the NFL HD though, I hadn't thought of that.... Could become an issue.

But yes I guess we should stay on topic... I'm sure the HR10 would look just great on my new 71" Sammy when it arrives. It looked great on my 42" Dell Plasma...
post #819 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedVisual View Post

DirecTV HD DVR is now $249 w/ 1 year contract. But the unit is a complete P.O.S. - it's slow, klunky, buggy, etc.. DirecTV has made no commitment, promises, etc.. to swap these units for the new HR20s and there's no guaranty that they will. ....

Where did you find the directv hd dvr at that price?? I have yet to find it lower than $400 anywhere.

Jon
post #820 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald View Post

It's time to get away from this primitive bulb technology already.

Amen.

Bulbs and noise are reasons I havent pulled the trigger.
post #821 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef152psu View Post

Where did you find the directv hd dvr at that price?? I have yet to find it lower than $400 anywhere.

A few months ago they had it for $249 with a 1 year commitment if you bought it through DirecTV. The H20 receiver was $99 with a commitment then too and I've seen it locally for that price (just about everywhere) so assumed that these prices are still good... DirecTV will also lease the receivers now with no up front costs too, but I don't know how that applies to the HR10 DVR.
post #822 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post

1. Does the 87W series have a QAM tuner? If it does or does not, what would I need it for? I plan on getting HD from Comcast, would the QAM tuner allow me to get it for free?

No it does not have a QAM tuner. If you get the HD package, you will get a set top box (STB) that will do the tuning for you. The QAM tuner is cool for OTA HD and the local unencrypted HD stations that your provider is required to transmit.

Quote:

7. What is wobulation and it it a concern?

Basically, there are only 960 vertical rows of mirrors instead of 1920. The plane that the mirrors are on "wobbles" very very very fast and displays 1920 lines. It does not seem to be a problem because I've never heard anyone complain about it. I hear that in theory there will be color dithering though.

Quote:

8. I know if depends on how much it is used, but how many years in general do the bulbs last for?

6,000-8,000 hours. So, calculate your average TV time per day and then divide 7000 by the number and then divide the resulting number by 365 for years.
post #823 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 PM

Liked: 12
I had a 50" SXRD and returned it for the 5687
I have a SA8300 HD cable box and when watching HD content with DNIE turned off the picture seems a bit grey looking or almost like there is a film over the image, with it turned on that "film" goes away but the picture quality overall seems worse. I am using the movie mode and also have the noise reduction turned off (tried every combination of the presets and that seems to be the best)

has anyone noticed this? what picture setting, if any would help with this?
the image on the SXRD seemed to be in the middle.

I really enjoy this set and if I can get this image issue figured out, I will keep the tv, if not I might have to wait for the new sxrd's to come out, which I really dont want to wait that long and have to pay more $$

I have been playing with the settings and ran the Avia disk for my component DVD player. DVD playback looks amazing, better than on the SXRD its the HD cable content that I am not as happy with.

thanks,

Mike
post #824 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post

Well, in short, it's awesome! I had to immediately turn down the brightness to about 20%. It actually hurts my wife's eyes!

We watched King Kong last night. It was awesome; and this was in "crippled" mode with a proscan dvd w/component in. Now I'm wanting to upgrade my directv, but the price of the directv hd dvr is ridiculous; especially when you consider only 30 hours HD capacity and the upcoming MPEG4 conversion which will make it worthless.

So now I'm lusting for true HD content. Haven't seen any except in the showroom (it was unreal).

Very happy; SD looks kinda crappy and washed out from my directv R15. Probably needs a lot of calibration. But it's what I expected until I can afford to update.

In short, after only one day, I'm very pleased.

FYI...........I just b!tched and moaned at DirecTV and got my HD DVR (HR10-250) for $299 (after rebate and $100 credit).
post #825 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzixter View Post

Sounds great! How do you like standard definition material on the set. I assume you are using cable?
thx

Standard Def looks OK w/the DNIE off. If you turn it on it is unbearable. No I don't have cable. I have Fiber Optic Service. It comes w/a Moto HD DVR. It's similar to the TiVo service I used to have w/DirecTV. I'm been watching almost nothing but HD & if there's nothing good there then I go to the standard def. I sure hope that the rest of the channels like Scifi go HD. Again.... AWESOME TV!!!!
post #826 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 07:10 PM

Any new sammy hl-s 87-series owners out there have the yamaha 2600 avr? Last month I pre-ordered the 5687 [still patiently awaiting the call] and am also looking for a new a/v receiver. I was leaning toward the yamaha 2600. My question is if I will receive any benefit out of the upscaling from the 2600 for SD channels and PS2 or will my new sammy 5687 spit out a equal or better picture if I just connect the PS2 and cable box directly to the sammy? FYI, I will be connecting HDMI out of cable box and S-video out of PS2.
post #827 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 07:57 PM

Hello all,

I've been a long time reader on this forum, and always learn a lot here. I've run into a problem though and couldn't find an answer so I needed to actually post this time. I just took delivery of my 6187 yesterday and so far I'm loving it. The only problem is that my Harmony 676 does not switch inputs when using the activity buttons. This frustrates me a little (I know how to switch them manually so it's not a very big deal), but frustrates the girlfriend A LOT (which frustrates the hell of out of me because I'm constantly having to show her how to watch a movie, tv, etc.).

Does anyone have any tips on getting the two of them to work together? Activities worked flawlessly on my old Sony KV-32HS500, so I know the remote is fine. Any help or tips are appreciated.

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

post #828 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:

3. I'm looking for a wide viewing angle! I have a sectional and if the viewer was sitting in the middle of the couch in front of the TV, they would be 10 feet away. The view other viewers could be as far as 5 feet to the right or the left of that point. (You can check out my theater pictures to get a better idea of my set up) My question is will those people on the side have to deal with significan decreased picture brightness with the 6187W?

I'm in the same boat. I went to CC and BB last week and I found that once you got to about 150 degrees or so, it began to noticeably dim, but it was very gradual (not like the way a lot of LCD monitors I've seen just seem to drop off quickly). Around 170 degrees it became pretty dim...but by that point, you wouldn't want to watch it anyway because it's hard to understand what is in the original picture from such an angle. BTW, this was with the 6187 and I think the 5087. I'm personally planning to get a 5679 but I'm no longer too worried about the viewing angle (with the 5679 I figure it's just the way the light is produced and processed that's different, not what happens to photons once they hit the screen). BTW, it doesn't sound like your viewers will be suffering from anything like the viewing angle that we have, where we frequently watch TV from our bar that connects the kitchen and family room...putting me at about 135 degrees and my wife at probably about a 160 degree angle. She should still have a reasonably pleasant experience, though if I have to do something hokey like turn the TV 10 degrees, I'll do it.
post #829 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 10:19 PM

Silly/Dumb question, please be gentle.

I bought a HLS locally. They'll have it in late this week, but can't deliver until next week. It will fit in my blazer if it is sitting on it's side, or I can borrow a friends truck to pick it up. I really don't want to wait and was curious what would be best.

So, would it be a bad idea if the TV if it sits on it's side during transport, like plasmas?
post #830 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyphos View Post

Silly/Dumb question, please be gentle.

I bought a HLS locally. They'll have it in late this week, but can't deliver until next week. It will fit in my blazer if it is sitting on it's side, or I can borrow a friends truck to pick it up. I really don't want to wait and was curious what would be best.

So, would it be a bad idea if the TV if it sits on it's side during transport, like plasmas?

What size? I barely fit a 5087 in my Nissan Armada.
post #831 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy_balls View Post

What size? I barely fit a 5087 in my Nissan Armada.

5087. I measured the rear area against the shipping measurements and have about half an inch clearance on the sides, but it will fit.
post #832 of 21398 Old 05-16-2006, 11:25 PM

I bought mine at BB. They didn't know much but they could deliver and pretty much matched the TVA price. I was not comfortable buying something like this on the net. Now to the problem:

This evening I noticed a roughly horizontal black bar on the right side of the screen about 1/4 down from the top. About 3 inches in length and .5 inch in height. In a subsequent post I may be able to attach a photo.

I tried changing channels, power cycle but it remains ...

Will be contacting Samsung in the morning

Although I was not sure, I did buy the extended coverage. Hope it helps.

Anybody else with a similar experience?
post #833 of 21398 Old 05-17-2006, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnjessicacrz View Post

Standard Def looks OK w/the DNIE off. If you turn it on it is unbearable. No I don't have cable. I have Fiber Optic Service. It comes w/a Moto HD DVR. It's similar to the TiVo service I used to have w/DirecTV. I'm been watching almost nothing but HD & if there's nothing good there then I go to the standard def. I sure hope that the rest of the channels like Scifi go HD. Again.... AWESOME TV!!!!

i think my hood has fiber optic laid down from verizon.

i hate verizon as a monopolizing company more so then comcast who are almost as bad but if the verizon fibre optic service is cheaper then comcast digi cable and uses moto dvr box then I might consider it.

do they have as many hd channels as comcast including 2 INHD chans and of courese discover hd theatre which is the best ever, tntd, all the locals, hbo, starz, showtime etc. espnd
post #834 of 21398 Old 05-17-2006, 06:51 AM

I've been enjoying the set so far. HL-S5687w I have noticed in the center of the screen the slight shimmering with some content. It appears to be the actual screen and not the content or how the content is processed. It seems more pronounced in the center than anywhere else. Is this SSE? Anyone else see it on their set?

If I'm looking for it I notice it, if I'm not then it doesn't really bother me. Just wondering what the experience of others is and if I should return it. My guess is it's on all the sets due to screen material used. To see it you kind of have to look at and focus on the screen rather than the viewing material, like one of those goofy 3-D pictures.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
Energy Connoisseur Series Speakers
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #835 of 21398 Old 05-17-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

i think my hood has fiber optic laid down from verizon.

i hate verizon as a monopolizing company more so then comcast who are almost as bad but if the verizon fibre optic service is cheaper then comcast digi cable and uses moto dvr box then I might consider it.

do they have as many hd channels as comcast including 2 INHD chans and of courese discover hd theatre which is the best ever, tntd, all the locals, hbo, starz, showtime etc. espnd

Over here the monopolizer is brighthouse networks so it was nice that verizon was going to give them competition. No, there are no INHD channels. They have all the local channels in HD along with TNTHD, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, HDNET, HDNET MV, U HD, DISCHD, WEALTH, NGCHD, MTVHD, & all the premium channels in HD.
post #836 of 21398 Old 05-17-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

... Does anyone have any tips on getting the two of them to work together? ....

Call Harmony support. They have one of the best customer service operations I've ever experienced. In my case, they actually made changes on the "back end" (the part users can not access) to get me up and running. They can tell you if there is a problem with your particular remote (some models do not play well with some TVs) or whether work-arounds or discrete codes are available.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #837 of 21398 Old 05-17-2006, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnjessicacrz View Post

David,

I'm assuming it is FIOS that you have? Have you seen anything on ESPN HD yet?

My brother has FIOS and on his three-year old Panasonic plasma the diiference between ESPN HD on FIOS and what I have on DTV is night and day.

John McAdams
post #838 of 21398 Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia_bhatti View Post

I bought mine at BB. They didn't know much but they could deliver and pretty much matched the TVA price. I was not comfortable buying something like this on the net. Now to the problem:

This evening I noticed a roughly horizontal black bar on the right side of the screen about 1/4 down from the top. About 3 inches in length and .5 inch in height. In a subsequent post I may be able to attach a photo.

I tried changing channels, power cycle but it remains ...

Will be contacting Samsung in the morning

Although I was not sure, I did buy the extended coverage. Hope it helps.

Anybody else with a similar experience?

Best Buy must not have a strict policy from store to store. I've gone to three of the larger BB's in the DC area to see if they would match the TVA powerbuy price and they all looked at me like I was crazy and basically told me to take a hike. The same response from Circuit City

John McAdams
post #839 of 21398 Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdspringer98 View Post

I've been enjoying the set so far. HL-S5687w I have noticed in the center of the screen the slight shimmering with some content. It appears to be the actual screen and not the content or how the content is processed. It seems more pronounced in the center than anywhere else. Is this SSE? Anyone else see it on their set?

If I'm looking for it I notice it, if I'm not then it doesn't really bother me. Just wondering what the experience of others is and if I should return it. My guess is it's on all the sets due to screen material used. To see it you kind of have to look at and focus on the screen rather than the viewing material, like one of those goofy 3-D pictures.

Simple solution: DON'T LOOK FOR IT! This reminds me of the post I read a few months back concerning the rainbow effect. The member said the only way he can see rainbows is to move his head back and forth really fast. Another member said, "Well, then don't move your head back and forth really fast"!

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #840 of 21398 Old 05-17-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

David,

I'm assuming it is FIOS that you have? Have you seen anything on ESPN HD yet?

My brother has FIOS and on his three-year old Panasonic plasma the diiference between ESPN HD on FIOS and what I have on DTV is night and day.

Oh yeah, it's FiOS. I was watching the Redsox play another team (I wasn't paying attention to who it was) & I was like WOW!!!!! I showed my wife & we both watched the game for about 10 min just because we were amazed by the clarity. I'm a baseball fan but she's not so we had to change it after that but I was just floored. It seriously looked like I was actually in the stands. It seemed as if I were watching a Plasma TV. No shimmering or sparkles that everyone complains about. I think that is due to the quality of the feed. Maybe because it's fiber optic that I don't have that problem in HD channels.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page