Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2006, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on a HLS5687W from Amazon. My local CC wouldn't price match the Amazon price and it's $200 more, so it sort of made my decision simple. However, I've heard of some people getting this to work, and I'd very much like to buy locally (especially with the 18 month financing deal). Anyone know if the CC prices are likely to fall soon?

I got my HLS6187W from Amazon recently and am very satisfied. The picture quality is unbelievable with just my amateur attempts at calibrating it.

And I agree with the last poster that the guy at CC didn't know what the hell he was talking about/doing. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I've read a page back that Standard and Movie Mode are the only modes that can be accurately tuned. Let me tell you what I did and tell me if I was crazy or not.

I went into the service menu (which reset all my user inputs) and turned the iris "off". Then I went to the Gamma and Cinema Gamma and put it to film '0'. Then I popped in DVE and tuned the contrast offset and brightness off set just above too high and then exit the service menu. Then I turn the set back on and correctly set the contrast and brightness and color using DVE again.

Before the set looked great but it was giving me eye strain and I do not like to watch movies with any sort of light all except what is coming from the tv. My gf was complaining about eye strain as well although she agreed the set looked good. After doing what I said above the set isn't as bright but looks just as good. Now I can watch long programs without any eye strain and everything looks as bright as it should. My gf is also happy about it.

I know I haven't did any real tuning because I didn't tune teh color but this set looks a lot better because now there is far les noise. The thing is since I read that about movie and standard mode I started to think because what mode I used during the user menu calibration using DVE was dynamic. Yes I know its dynamic but the others looked way too dark (yes I have DNIe off and Noise Reduction off). In dynamic it looked great as well as the colors looked accurate to me or good enough. I have been watching some 720p trailers on it feed through my 360 via Windows Media Center and man do they look great as well as Microsoft's 1080p wmv hd clips.

Did I not do enough and am I mistaken by using dynamic?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

I've read a page back that Standard and Movie Mode are the only modes that can be accurately tuned. Let me tell you what I did and tell me if I was crazy or not.

I went into the service menu (which reset all my user inputs) and turned the iris "off". Then I went to the Gamma and Cinema Gamma and put it to film '0'. Then I popped in DVE and tuned the contrast offset and brightness off set just above too high and then exit the service menu. Then I turn the set back on and correctly set the contrast and brightness and color using DVE again.

Before the set looked great but it was giving me eye strain and I do not like to watch movies with any sort of light all except what is coming from the tv. My gf was complaining about eye strain as well although she agreed the set looked good. After doing what I said above the set isn't as bright but looks just as good. Now I can watch long programs without any eye strain and everything looks as bright as it should. My gf is also happy about it.

I know I haven't did any real tuning because I didn't tune teh color but this set looks a lot better because now there is far les noise. The thing is since I read that about movie and standard mode I started to think because what mode I used during the user menu calibration using DVE was dynamic. Yes I know its dynamic but the others looked way too dark (yes I have DNIe off and Noise Reduction off). In dynamic it looked great as well as the colors looked accurate to me or good enough. I have been watching some 720p trailers on it feed through my 360 via Windows Media Center and man do they look great as well as Microsoft's 1080p wmv hd clips.

What is th iris and what does it do? What settings are available for it? Is it just "on" or "off"?

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
Old 10-15-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290 View Post

What is th iris and what does it do? What settings are available for it? Is it just "on" or "off"?

The iris is, from my understanding, what it is an iris. It dictates how much light passes through. If it is "on" it allows all the lamps light to be passed through. If it is "off" then it limits the amount of the lamps light passes through. "Off" doesn't really mean off. If it did then you would not see a picture on the screen. Like someone said Samsung should have used different diction to discribe that. From what I saw it is just "on" or "off". Unless I missed something. Hey if I am incorrect then someone please correct me. I am not as knowledgable as most of you on this forum.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:10 PM

Liked: 11
I have a 3-week-old hls5687. Great picture, no smudges. However, the sound is delayed a split second behind the video. Not much, but noticeable. I have an HR20 connected via HDMI, the TV's sound turned off, and the audio channeled from the TV to a 4-year-old Kenwood receiver via digital optical.

What is causing this -- is it an intrinsic flaw? Is there some way to eliminate the lag so it doesn't seem I am watching an old kung fu movie? Does the digital optical connection to the receiver contribute to this, and if so if I bought a receiver with HDMI inputs/outputs would this eliminate it?

Re stands, I went to target and got a universal glass stand for $200. Looks great, and same quality as the junk CC, BB, etc, sell for 350-400. And a whole lot better than IKEA. Not enough posts, so no pictures.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by av noob View Post

I have a 3-week-old hls5687. Great picture, no smudges. However, the sound is delayed a split second behind the video. Not much, but noticeable. I have an HR20 connected via HDMI, the TV's sound turned off, and the audio channeled from the TV to a 4-year-old Kenwood receiver via digital optical.

What is causing this -- is it an intrinsic flaw? Is there some way to eliminate the lag so it doesn't seem I am watching an old kung fu movie? Does the digital optical connection to the receiver contribute to this, and if so if I bought a receiver with HDMI inputs/outputs would this eliminate it?

Re stands, I went to target and got a universal glass stand for $200. Looks great, and same quality as the junk CC, BB, etc, sell for 350-400. And a whole lot better than IKEA. Not enough posts, so no pictures.

Is this TV stand what you bought from Target?

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
Old 10-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

I think I mentioned that standard and movie were the only tunable settings. What I meant is that there are two sets of color gamut settings one for Standard, Dynamic, etc. and one for Movie. I believe the only thing different between Standard and Dynamic is the user menu settings. The standard settings are closer to accurate, but you could tune the Dynamic settings and to look like Standard and I don't think you could tell the difference. If I was going for accuracy though I'd start with Movie mode then turn off the dynamic iris and probably turn it down. I haven't actually tuned an iris set yet so that advice is second hand. I would then tune brightness and contrast. The correct brightness setting is just at the point where dithering disappears in a pure black test pattern. The correct brightness is a bit harder to set precisely without instruments, but I would lower it to the point where a 100% white field isn't uncomfortable to look at in a dark room.

- Collin
Old 10-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Here are some pics of my new 5688 and it's stand.

5688+MARKÖR TV Stand In Living Room1
5688+MARKÖR TV Stand In Living Room2
Close Up of MARKÖR TV Stand

Here is a link to the stand at IKEA:
IKEA

You'll notice that between the pics of the stand in my living room and the ones on IKEA's site that it actually comes with legs. I had to leave them off b/c with my 5688 it would have been to high of a viewing angle. If you have low seating furniture then this stand may be too high.
As for fit (as you can see) it's a perfect fit for the 5688 or 5687. If you compare the dimensions of the stand and the the 5688 that are listed on their respective websites the 5688 should be hanging off the stand's edges just a little but I think the dimensions given by samsung for the 5688 are a little off. If anyone would like some actual measured dimensions of the TV and the stand just let me know.

The stand was really easy to put together and is VERY sturdy. It's not made of particle board crap. The stand could hold me up just fine and I'm 6'3"@280lbs. It also had a good 2-3in gap at the rear of each shelf to allow room for cables.

Here are some close ups of the TV on Discovery HD. My camera didn't focus as well without the flash on.

5688 Pic1
5688 Pic2
Old 10-15-2006, 05:31 PM

How much longer are the current models 87 and 88 going to be easy to find and sold before the new line comes out?

I am looking to replace my Mits 55" soon but probably not before spring of next year but I really love everything I see out of these Samsung models right now. If still available then the price will only be that much better
Old 10-15-2006, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp View Post

Standard and Movie are the only modes that can be accurately tuned. Usually a calibrator tunes one to the SD color gamut and one to the HD color gamut and you switch between them depending on the source. Eliab appears to tune Warm 1 to 6500K which is the standard white point. He then cleverly tunes Warm 2 to 5400K for black and white films that aren't white point corrected (most of them).

Why does eliab tune Warm 1 to D65 if Warm 1 can't be accurately calibrated?

What is the difference in the color gamut for HD and SD?

umr--do you tune one picture mode to the SD gamut and the other to the HD gamut? And do you only use the standard and movie mode when calibrating?

I was told by an ISF calibrator that the Toshiba HD-A1 applies the HD color gamut to SD DVD's when you have the HD-A1 set to 720p or 1080i. Can this problem be corrected by calibrating one of the picture modes for a certain color gamut?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I mentioned that standard and movie were the only tunable settings. What I meant is that there are two sets of color gamut settings one for Standard, Dynamic, etc. and one for Movie. I believe the only thing different between Standard and Dynamic is the user menu settings. The standard settings are closer to accurate, but you could tune the Dynamic settings and to look like Standard and I don't think you could tell the difference. If I was going for accuracy though I'd start with Movie mode then turn off the dynamic iris and probably turn it down. I haven't actually tuned an iris set yet so that advice is second hand. I would then tune brightness and contrast. The correct brightness setting is just at the point where dithering disappears in a pure black test pattern. The correct brightness is a bit harder to set precisely without instruments, but I would lower it to the point where a 100% white field isn't uncomfortable to look at in a dark room.

- Collin

Actually yea it was you but I didn't really want to call someone out lol. Hey thank you forgetting back to me and its great you've been posting so much I have read your site and all the help you have been giving. This forum is great.

But yea I do not know if this iris is dynamic, although I do no know much of anything. All I know is that the iris has two settings "on" and "off" I went with "off". I had to change the setting of DB On/Off (I think that is the name) to off before I could change the iris option (DB Aperture). Before that it was greyed out. But the thing is that I cannot get to movie mode in teh user menu without exiting the service menu and the settinsg of contrast and brightness were not helping the super dark screen movie mode was giving me so I have left it in dynamic. So my dynamic is basically standard then after all the settings I have changed. We it is looking good to be right now. I just wish I knew if the colors I am seeing are suppose to be what they are. I also did Eliab's DVE calibration which included the blue filter test. I adjusted my set to pass that test spot on. So I hope that is a good thing. I'm not changing anything else for now because I am not qualified to do so. I don't have equipment to do that color gamut adjustment so thats a better reason for not changing anything. Its really good now anyway.

Thanx again Collin.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone has used their 87/88 with Xbox 360, please go vote in this poll.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just bought a 5687 and was hoping if some of you guys could give me some of your recommended settings in the main menu and in the service menu. I'm talking to whole setup here.. Brightness/sharpness/etc plus all the fancy SM tweaks. And help/suggestions would be great!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have noticed what looks like convergence problems on my 6188.....of course I know it can't be convergence, just looks like it.

I see a blue outline around things sometimes....not too often. Seems to be bright objects that are not in good focus. I can sometimes see it on the white lines on a football field or all white jerseys...like the Raider's playing on NBC tonight.

Another way I see this is if you look at a starfield...like star wars space scenes, if you get up close to the set, like less than a foot, the stars aren't pure white. You can sort of see some red and blue in there. Normal?

Anyone else see this? Could it be the source, or color wheel Index Delay?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why does eliab tune Warm 1 to D65 if Warm 1 can't be accurately calibrated?

Warm 1 is a white point setting not a picture mode setting. You can tune all the white point settings but you really only one for 6500K and one for 5400K are needed. I think I explained it above, but the color gamut can be tuned twice, once for movie and once for everything else. Most calibrators will therefore tune standard and movie mode. I think you can use dynamic if you make all the user mode settings look like standard.

Quote:

What is the difference in the color gamut for HD and SD?

The HD gamut is wider than SD. It's a pretty subtle difference. Most displays don't adjust for the difference. The Samsung can.

Quote:

I was told by an ISF calibrator that the Toshiba HD-A1 applies the HD color gamut to SD DVD's when you have the HD-A1 set to 720p or 1080i. Can this problem be corrected by calibrating one of the picture modes for a certain color gamut?

The Toshiba has a color matrix error on SD DVDs. This is a problem that emerges due to the fact that the different color gamut for HD requires a different color matrix to translate between YCbCr and RGB. On my site I also have a page on Color Matrix Errors. This page contains pictures of what the errors look like. The Toshiba has a problem where it applies the HD YCbCr to RGB conversion to SD DVDs when outputting an RGB signal. As long as you are not using DVI (which is an RGB signal) you should not have a problem with the Toshiba. HDMI should negotiate with the display and send a YCbCr signal if all goes well.

- Collin
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:

If anyone has used their 87/88 with Xbox 360, please go vote in this poll.

What is the eventual point of this poll?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

I have noticed what looks like convergence problems on my 6188.....of course I know it can't be convergence, just looks like it.

I see a blue outline around things sometimes....not too often. Seems to be bright objects that are not in good focus. I can sometimes see it on the white lines on a football field or all white jerseys...like the Raider's playing on NBC tonight.

Another way I see this is if you look at a starfield...like star wars space scenes, if you get up close to the set, like less than a foot, the stars aren't pure white. You can sort of see some red and blue in there. Normal?

Anyone else see this? Could it be the source, or color wheel Index Delay?

This is really hard to say without fiddling with the set. It sort of sounds like DNIe is on. But it could be grayscale or source problems. The Index Delay is usually set right out of the box though your set could be the exception. Does movie mode help? Is everything connected digitally.

- Collin
Old 10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
KRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on a HLS5687W from Amazon. My local CC wouldn't price match the Amazon price and it's $200 more, so it sort of made my decision simple. However, I've heard of some people getting this to work, and I'd very much like to buy locally (especially with the 18 month financing deal). Anyone know if the CC prices are likely to fall soon?

Also, when I sat down in front of the model I'm interested in I was very disappointed in the picture. The sales guy (who didn't seem a complete dullard) said the signal was a Blu-Ray disc of the movie House of Flying Daggers connected at 1080p via HDMI cable. The picture looked horrible! There was very bad pixelation all over the place. Could there be something wrong with the set? I mean it looked worse than when I play the same movie in simple 480p on my 3 year old 1080i capable CRT RPTV. I was expected an absolutely stunning picture even with normal DVDs, let alone Blu-Ray DVDs.

Any thoughts? Now I'm thinking of whether this is the right choice or not...

What sold me on the 5087 was the picture in a CC store I was visiting while on a business trip to SoCal (at the Burbank Media Center). They had a Sencore Hard Disk unit looping a Sony HD demo reel connected simultaneously to both the 5087 and a Sony SXRD RPTV. The picture on both set was stunning (though there was some contamination in neutral grays on one side of the Sony display)

Therefore I recommend you seek out another store before where they are truly feeding the set a good signal before making up your mind.

Good Luck
Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

This is really hard to say without fiddling with the set. It sort of sounds like DNIe is on. But it could be grayscale or source problems. The Index Delay is usually set right out of the box though your set could be the exception. Does movie mode help? Is everything connected digitally.

- Collin

DNIe is off, and I am using Eliab's recomended settings, including movie mode.

I put up a cross hatch pattern. The center lines are all white. Towards the edges, there is a slight amount of color bleeding around the edges of the lines....red on the left side, greenish on the right. Might be completely normal, but it seemed odd to me and want to see if anyone else can see this too. You need to be like a foot from the set to see it, but it is there.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Warm 1 is a white point setting not a picture mode setting. You can tune all the white point settings but you really only one for 6500K and one for 5400K are needed. I think I explained it above, but the color gamut can be tuned twice, once for movie and once for everything else. Most calibrators will therefore tune standard and movie mode.

The Toshiba has a color matrix error on SD DVDs. This is a problem that emerges due to the fact that the different color gamut for HD requires a different color matrix to translate between YCbCr and RGB. On my site I also have a page on Color Matrix Errors. This page contains pictures of what the errors look like. The Toshiba has a problem where it applies the HD YCbCr to RGB conversion to SD DVDs when outputting an RGB signal. As long as you are not using DVI (which is an RGB signal) you should not have a problem with the Toshiba. HDMI should negotiate with the display and send a YCbCr signal if all goes well.

- Collin

So can you use Warm 1 & Warm 2 settings when you are using one of the picture modes such as movie, dynamic, and standard? Does Warm 1 and Warm 2 effect the color temperature?
Quote:
I think you can use dynamic if you make all the user mode settings look like standard.

I don't understand this statement.
Quote:
The HD gamut is wider than SD. It's a pretty subtle difference. Most displays don't adjust for the difference. The Samsung can.

But only through service menu adjustments, right?

Old 10-15-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored28 View Post

What is the eventual point of this poll?

Let's see...uhhh...to find out if there is lag on the HL-S**87w.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Let's see...uhhh...to find out if there is lag on the HL-S**87w.

This hasn't been found out after 289 pages of posts?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So can you use Warm 1 & Warm 2 settings when you are using one of the picture modes such as movie, dynamic, and standard? Does Warm 1 and Warm 2 effect the color temperature?

Bingo.

Quote:

I don't understand this statement.

Mind you I have an older set so things might not work the same anymore, but if you set the picture mode to dynamic and then change all the user controls to be the same values as standard then dynamic looks like standard. Movie mode is special but the rest of the modes are just different sets of user menu settings.

Quote:

But only through service menu adjustments, right?

Yes you are only going to calibrate the color gamuts through the service menu and with a spectroradiometer. There is no other way. Once the color gamuts are calibrated you can toggle between the two by changing picture mode from standard to movie.

- Collin
Old 10-15-2006, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkdogg View Post

Here are some pics of my new 5688 and it's stand.

5688+MARKÖR TV Stand In Living Room1
5688+MARKÖR TV Stand In Living Room2
Close Up of MARKÖR TV Stand

Here is a link to the stand at IKEA:
IKEA

You'll notice that between the pics of the stand in my living room and the ones on IKEA's site that it actually comes with legs. I had to leave them off b/c with my 5688 it would have been to high of a viewing angle. If you have low seating furniture then this stand may be too high.
As for fit (as you can see) it's a perfect fit for the 5688 or 5687. If you compare the dimensions of the stand and the the 5688 that are listed on their respective websites the 5688 should be hanging off the stand's edges just a little but I think the dimensions given by samsung for the 5688 are a little off. If anyone would like some actual measured dimensions of the TV and the stand just let me know.

The stand was really easy to put together and is VERY sturdy. It's not made of particle board crap. The stand could hold me up just fine and I'm 6'3"@280lbs. It also had a good 2-3in gap at the rear of each shelf to allow room for cables.

Here are some close ups of the TV on Discovery HD. My camera didn't focus as well without the flash on.

5688 Pic1
5688 Pic2
5688 Pic3

The pictures look pretty good and that TV looks really sweet. I'm still on the fence of that TV stand. It kind of fits your living room more than others since you have a lot of brown in the room, such as your couches. In my case, I do have a futon w/ dark red wood and a coffee table of the similar color. So I guess I could get a wooden TV stand of a similar shade for whatever HDTV I get (probably black).

I see you put your TV in a corner. Are you going to put surround sound speakers? It's a shame that your living room is not favorable for a good HTS, mostly due to that fireplace in the middle of the wall (as opposed to a corner).

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 PM

Hmm, just turned on my HLS5688W and I'm concerned. There's a pretty weird sound coming from the unit sort of a grinding noise. It happens when the set is just powering on then seems to go away once it's fully up and running. Then it happens again when putting the set into standby. Any ideas?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey
http://coreygo.com
Old 10-15-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

The pictures look pretty good and that TV looks really sweet. I'm still on the fence of that TV stand. It kind of fits your living room more than others since you have a lot of brown in the room, such as your couches. In my case, I do have a futon w/ dark red wood and a coffee table of the similar color. So I guess I could get a wooden TV stand of a similar shade for whatever HDTV I get (probably black).

I see you put your TV in a corner. Are you going to put surround sound speakers? It's a shame that your living room is not favorable for a good HTS, mostly due to that fireplace in the middle of the wall (as opposed to a corner).

Did you look at the IKEA link I posted? There is another stain of wood you can get in that stand that's a lot darker. It may go with that dark red wood you have.

Yeah I'm planning on getting some surround sound sooner or later. I had been looking at some JBL speakers. I want speakers that will serve as good surround sound and stereo speakers. So what is the big disadvantage with the fireplace? Room acoustics?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

They are going to introduce a SED by Christmas for under $2,000................

Toshiba will have theirs for Thanksgiving.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corego View Post

Hmm, just turned on my HLS5688W and I'm concerned. There's a pretty weird sound coming from the unit sort of a grinding noise. It happens when the set is just powering on then seems to go away once it's fully up and running. Then it happens again when putting the set into standby. Any ideas?

That's normal, as long as it only happens at power up and power down.

- Colin
Old 10-15-2006, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkdogg View Post

Did you look at the IKEA link I posted? There is another stain of wood you can get in that stand that's a lot darker. It may go with that dark red wood you have.

Yeah I'm planning on getting some surround sound sooner or later. I had been looking at some JBL speakers. I want speakers that will serve as good surround sound and stereo speakers. So what is the big disadvantage with the fireplace? Room acoustics?

Yes, I did see the Ikea link you provided and noticed the darker color. It looks really dark, but I'm sure there are sub-$250 TV stands at Ikea, Target, etc. that have a similar shade of dark red/brown that my sofa and coffee table have.

The biggest problem with a fireplace for a home theater system in general is that it hogs up a lot of good space. If it's just a wall there, then you can put the TV in the middle of the room (against the wall) and symmetrically arrange the speakers. But b/c it takes up that section of the wall, you have to put it in a corner and it messes up the seating arrangement. For example, that couch you have on the left of the pictures (TV's right side) is completely useless in terms of being able to watch TV.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by av noob View Post

However, the sound is delayed a split second behind the video. Not much, but noticeable. ...

What is causing this -- is it an intrinsic flaw?

Yes, but it's a HDTV flaw because video requires so much processing. If you turn off DNIe that might be enough in your case.

Quote:

Is there some way to eliminate the lag so it doesn't seem I am watching an old kung fu movie?

Yes

Quote:

Does the digital optical connection to the receiver contribute to this, and if so if I bought a receiver with HDMI inputs/outputs would this eliminate it?

No and no.

Video delay can be caused by video processing at any point in the chain of events that leads from creating media to displaying it on your screen.

You can buy a A/V Receiver that lets you add audio delay to each input, but usually the controls to do that are so deep into the receivers menu system that you can't make easy adjustments.

You can add an audio delay device between your "STB/DVD player", and the receiver. The most popular one that I know about is the Felston. The Felston DD540 has a remote control so that you can easily adjust two different sources and save six different settings for each source.

Information about the Felston DD540 and lip sync problems can be found here.

Felston US Dealer

For a discussion of most of the issues you can read a few posts starting here.

Lip Sync Issues

Tags
Samsung , Displays