Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 21399 Old 04-12-2006, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post

Call me crazy, but how is it possible that there is only one individual in the entire United States who has been able to find, let alone purchase, an "S" series Samsung DLP?

When I placed the order, I saw a number of 6187 sets in-stock at BB's bay area warehouse. If I recall correctly, there were about 70+ sets total, with 35 purchase orders (meaning that when I ordered my TV, there were 35 or so additional orders for the same TV) but I can't confirm whether those were for the stores, individuals, or employees, etc.

I need to stop by there later to pick up some cables, I'll take a look and see if I can get some concrete numbers from a salesperson.

Oh, and it's no urban legend. In the spirit of Nessie and Bigfoot, I present to you several grainy photographs taken with a webcam, in which you can unmistakably make out the elusive HL-S6187W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 21399 Old 04-12-2006, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post

Color banding does not seem to be a problem on my HLR5668W ... can you be more specific? I don't think that color banding is a known problem on the HLR series (like AV sync, gaming lag, etc.).

Color banding: the appearance of subtle, but distinct bands or rings of color where there should be a smooth and seamless gradation of color. Imagine a street light on a foggy night. In reality, there would be a halo of light around the lamp that transitions smoothly from light to dark. On the Samsungs I've seen, there are bands of gradually decreasing light emanating from around the lamp.

There are numerous posts about "banding", "dithering", and "macroblocking", and "artifacting" in the Samsung 1080p 2005 thread. Coincidentally, the "banding" was the one fault (other than the lack of a 1080p input) with the 2005 sets that kept me from buying one.

I was just at Magnolia AV last night to see if they had any of the xx87's on display. They didn't, but I decided to check out the picture quality of the HLR's (again) while I was there. The Sammy's had the most natural color rendition of all of the sets on display, but on the HD feed they were running, (a documentary on forrest fires) I could see banding around the flames and other parts of the image. The same flame shots looked smooth on the plasma sitting next to the Sammy.

I'm not trashing the Sammy's, in fact, I really want either the xx87 or xx88, but I also want the image to look as good or better than my current CRT RPTV and / or a plasma (which I can't afford in a 61").
post #63 of 21399 Old 04-12-2006, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the pics Evil-Rage. Nice setup!

I will say wow that thing is shiny! I know you said it wasn't that bad in person. We shall see.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #64 of 21399 Old 04-12-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post

Evil-Rage ... depending on your location in the Bay Area, you should be able to get all of the major HD stations over-the-air on your set. It might be an inexpensive option and allow you to avoid getting cable or sat. Plus, OTA quality is great. All of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) have great HD prime-time programming. PBS HD is also a nice channel that is also free. There are several internet sites that can tell you what channels you will get in your location and what HD antenna will work best.

Do you have any links for the websites that can tell us about what antenna to use for our area and what stations we get?

Thanks.
post #65 of 21399 Old 04-12-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post

Call me crazy, but how is it possible that there is only one individual in the entire United States who has been able to find, let alone purchase, an "S" series Samsung DLP?

go to bb and see what they have available. in my market, chicagoland area, they have the 5086 available for delivery within a couple of days.

**EDIT***

we now have the 4266, 5086, and the 6187 available to look at in the local BB.
post #66 of 21399 Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwsc11 View Post

Do you have any links for the websites that can tell us about what antenna to use for our area and what stations we get?

Thanks.

Check these AVS forums.

Local HDTV Info and Reception

HDTV Reception Hardware
post #67 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
It looks as these are the first 2006 RPTV models NOT to have a QAM tuner.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #68 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

My brother handles all of the OTA and Satellite reception for me. He is a real authority on subject. I've seen him look up the coverage and recommended antenna's for our area, but I don't have the links. Do an internet search on HDTV reception. I can ask him this weekend for the links. Sorry, I rely heavily on my Comcast cable setup and HD DVR which is expensive.

> Bill
post #69 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 10:23 AM

Evil-Rage, can you comment on the exact depth of the TV?

I'm looking to buy a bracket to mount my center channel on the wall directly above the TV.. I want to make sure that I buy one that sticks out from the wall enough to allow me to mount the speaker flush with the front of the TV.

my options are 16", 21", and 26".
post #70 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 11:44 AM

Quoting from the other HLS thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaldo View Post

not sure if anybody noticed but the hl-sxx87w models are on thier website now, they are being described as having 10-bit video processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw76mtw View Post

Haha, sure enough, that's listed with the 50" model here:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/D...S5087WXXAA.asp

Strangely, that same line is absent from the 56" model here:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/D...S5687WXXAA.asp

We really, really need Samsung to release the specs for the 88 models so we know what the heck the differences are. And likewise, Samsung also really needs to get their facts straight & typos corrected on the information they've already published regarding the 86 & 87 models. Yikes.

Edit: I mean, look at their diagrams and labels of the color wheels, for "cryan" out loud!

Evil-Rage - is it possible for you to confirm whether your set is 8-bit or 10-bit? I don't really even know how you determine this unless it's in the owner's guide somewhere.
post #71 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 AM

From the website (of course,saying that the xx87 is 720p... oh well....)
Sounds like they are targetting the sxrd.

The natural, vivid colors of Samsung's HL-S5087W are achieved through our 10-bit pocessing system with a 5-segment color wheel that enriches the viewing experience, far surpassing
3 panel technologies of earlier DLP televisions.

Knowledge+Truth=Consumer Power
post #72 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 12:01 PM

The HL-S5088W is now on Samsung's website. Still full of typo's, but its there. We're getting closer!!!!

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/D...S5088WXXAA.asp
post #73 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

...3 panel technologies of earlier DLP televisions.

?!??!
post #74 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyerinsd View Post

The HL-S5088W is now on Samsung's website. Still full of typo's, but its there. We're getting closer!!!!

How did you find that listing. It's not shown in the selection of TVs on their DLP pages. Did you hack the address line to find it?

Note: Considering that the same marketing blurb is being used for both the 5087 and 5088 (claiming 10-bit processing), I wouldn't bank on them both being right.
post #75 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyerinsd View Post

The Spec sheet linked on that page at least looks a little more polished:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/D...5088_final.pdf

Does mention the Firewire, CableCard, PIP and 10-bit processing as we all suspected.

They even spelled Cyan right! (Tho the picture shows Cyan and Yellow, while the text says Cyan and Magenta).

I'm also pleased with the cosmetics. I like it much more than the 78 series photos being shown on TVA's website.
post #76 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropKickMurphy View Post

?!??!

I think he is referring to the six element color wheels with color panels for red, green and blue.
post #77 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 01:22 PM

It mentions it will double as a PC monitor on the bottom of page 3 in that pdf!
post #78 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

How did you find that listing. It's not shown in the selection of TVs on their DLP pages. Did you hack the address line to find it?

Note: Considering that the same marketing blurb is being used for both the 5087 and 5088 (claiming 10-bit processing), I wouldn't bank on them both being right.

I just took the link from the 5087w and changed it to 5088 and it was there.
post #79 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erab610 View Post

Evil-Rage, can you comment on the exact depth of the TV?

I'm looking to buy a bracket to mount my center channel on the wall directly above the TV.. I want to make sure that I buy one that sticks out from the wall enough to allow me to mount the speaker flush with the front of the TV.

my options are 16", 21", and 26".

Well, I looked at the official measurements in the manual, then I measured my TV. The official measurements ARE wrong - however, it is worth noting that the measurements as listed in the product PDF are correct. From the PDF, it looks like the dimensions they used in the manual are actually the shipping dimenions (ie, in box)

Here are the measurements in the PDF for my TV (6187): 55.3" x 38.6" x 17.6"

Samsung recommends a minimum spacing of 4" from the wall for ventilation purposes, so if you're really tight on space, go with the 21", otherwise I'd recommend the 26".

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddertots View Post

Evil-Rage - is it possible for you to confirm whether your set is 8-bit or 10-bit? I don't really even know how you determine this unless it's in the owner's guide somewhere.

The manual says nothing about 8-bit or 10-bit processing, unfortunately. The website does state 10-bit processing for the HL-Sxx87 series, as RichNY has already said. No materials I have in my possession can confirm or deny this.

Evil-Rage
post #80 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Try antennaweb.org. Enter your address and you'll get a complete listing of the stations in your area, along with the distance and direction from your address to the tower. Stations are sorted by the type of antenna that you'll need. You can also see a street map view with arrows pointing toward the towers for a rough idea of where to point your antenna. The site is either run by, or maybe just sponsored by, the CEA.
post #81 of 21399 Old 04-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Rage View Post

Well, I looked at the official measurements in the manual, then I measured my TV. The official measurements ARE wrong - however, it is worth noting that the measurements as listed in the product PDF are correct. From the PDF, it looks like the dimensions they used in the manual are actually the shipping dimenions (ie, in box)

Here are the measurements in the PDF for my TV (6187): 55.3" x 38.6" x 17.6"

Samsung recommends a minimum spacing of 4" from the wall for ventilation purposes, so if you're really tight on space, go with the 21", otherwise I'd recommend the 26".

The manual says nothing about 8-bit or 10-bit processing, unfortunately. The website does state 10-bit processing for the HL-Sxx87 series, as RichNY has already said. No materials I have in my possession can confirm or deny this.

Evil-Rage

That is wild that Samsung's site states that the S5087 has 10 bit processing. The only reason I was even looking at the "88" series was the "10 Bit" processor. If the "87s" truly does have 10 bit processor I am getting the S5087 as soon as I can.
post #82 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH54 View Post

That is wild that Samsung's site states that the S5087 has 10 bit processing. The only reason I was even looking at the "88" series was the "10 Bit" processor. If the "87s" truly does have 10 bit processor I am getting the S5087 as soon as I can.

I cant see where they say that at on the 87?
post #83 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlaugh View Post

I cant see where they say that at on the 87?

Here is the link for the "87"

Read about 3/4 the way down... "10 bit processing system"
post #84 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddertots View Post

The Spec sheet linked on that page at least looks a little more polished:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/D...5088_final.pdf
Does mention the Firewire, CableCard, PIP and 10-bit processing as we all suspected.
They even spelled Cyan right! (Tho the picture shows Cyan and Yellow, while the text says Cyan and Magenta).
I'm also pleased with the cosmetics. I like it much more than the 78 series photos being shown on TVA's website.

It mentions a "POD slot (Cable Card)" . Then it states "ATSC 1-69" under channel coverage.
Most other manufactures have been using the "DCR" term (digital cable ready) for QAM tuners.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #85 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmac View Post

Try antennaweb.org. Enter your address and you'll get a complete listing of the stations in your area, along with the distance and direction from your address to the tower. Stations are sorted by the type of antenna that you'll need. You can also see a street map view with arrows pointing toward the towers for a rough idea of where to point your antenna. The site is either run by, or maybe just sponsored by, the CEA.

Far better yet is 2150. There is a link for the Tiger Map server to get your lat. & long. to enter in your location (just C&P the coordinates) ;

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp

post #86 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH54 View Post

Here is the link for the "87"

Read about 3/4 the way down... "10 bit processing system"

Thanks, I was looking on the 56".

I'm really bouncing between the 5679 and 5688. Sigh. GIVE ME INFO!
post #87 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 08:30 AM

if we look at last years models (and for that matter much consumer electronics stuff that is sold both by big box and specialty electronics retailers) the guts were the same between the xx78 and whatever the "high end" version number was ... i forget.
the ONLY difference was cosmetics and i personally liked the xx78 anyway.
as someone wrote, it is very unlikely that a manufacturer would design a completely different set of circuit boards, ic's, whatever - the goal of different model numbers for the same virtual set, is only marketing - so that different retail channels can charge different prices for basically the same stuff and that the manufacturer can increase their profit yield. nothing else ... the manufacturers are not obsessive hobbyists only bottom line oriented.

I predict the same will be the case with this years models and if you like what the xx87 looks like, buy it.

Also, virtually all tv's at least of these price ranges come with cablecard - the 6168 did... they are not going to leave it off in the followup model. but that being said, the cablecard, until the 2 way card is out, is imho virtually worthless vs the box because are you going to spend all this money and then not have a good way to know what you want to watch?? cable card has all these hokey/dont work (read tv guide) schemes to eliminate the need for the box. dont fuss over the card...

Knowledge+Truth=Consumer Power
post #88 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 08:38 AM

yeah, I agree on the CCard. I am more interested in in/outputs. My htpc is screaming for more options and I must obey because it is my master. Except when I am gaming and then my other PC is my master, except when the kids are up and I get to play boss for awhile. The wife has a permanent free spin card and IMHO doesn't use it often enough. lol
post #89 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 09:54 AM

Liked: 16
Sound Advice rapid response in Tampa has the 5688 due in next Tuesday! Hope for no delays! I have the 5678w and can't live with black crush and lack of details in dark scenes, and seem like most of the Sci_Fi movies (my favorites) are naturally low light. I hope this new 5688 will be the silver bullet for this. No much information on this set except what you members have uncovered which has aided in getting an exchange for what should be a superior product!

Correction! New date is for 2 May! So if I'm lucky I may have it by end of that week!

Bill
post #90 of 21399 Old 04-14-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNY View Post

...as someone wrote, it is very unlikely that a manufacturer would design a completely different set of circuit boards, ic's, whatever - the goal of different model numbers for the same virtual set, is only marketing - so that different retail channels can charge different prices for basically the same stuff and that the manufacturer can increase their profit yield. nothing else ... the manufacturers are not obsessive hobbyists only bottom line oriented.

I completely agree that the manufacturers are bottom line oriented and that they often have multiple models with only cosmetic differences for different retail channels. The question is whether leaving out PIP, cable card, etc. will save them money because there's fewer parts and labor involved, or cost them money because they need to maintain multiple designs and build processes.

I don't know enough about this industry to know which is the case. If the 87 and 88 are only cosmetically different, and the 87 sells for $200 less, then the 87 has a lower profit margin. If they can save $50 by leaving out some features while not impacting sales at the BBs and CCs of the world, why not bump the 87's proft margin up a little?

The bottom line for us is that we just don't know yet. It's fun speculating, even though I have to stare at a blank wall in my newly remodeled Family Room as I wait. Patience is a virtue never sounded truer. Good thing I already have HD in my basement.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page