Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #901 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva_T View Post

In the city??! Or the suburbs?

Suburbs, but just outside the city. McLean, VA to be exact.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD 60" Plasma TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player
TiVo HD XL

"We are only immortal for a limited time."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 08:04 AM

Great thread, thanks everyone that posted. I'm going to Circuit City after work today to buy a 5087, I can't wait to finally have an HD TV to watch my DVDs on.

Quick question, other than tuning the setting to my liking, are there steps I should take for the first few days to "break in" the set? I recall reading something about turning down some settings on plasma screens for the first 100 hours, I haven't seen anything like that for DLP screens.

Can't wait to get it setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #903 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin_Felth View Post

Great thread, thanks everyone that posted. I'm going to Circuit City after work today to buy a 5087, I can't wait to finally have an HD TV to watch my DVDs on.

Circuit City only has one thing going for it here -- they seem to have these TVs in stock. But their prices suck!

I ordered the HL-S5667W yesterday from BrandsMart, and while they don't have it in stock, my price, including tax and delivery, is less than the MSRP of the 50" set. I'm paying less for the 56" than CC is selling the 50" for. In my mind, that's a good deal!

If you can stand to wait a few weeks, shop around! There are better deals to be had.
post #904 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerry View Post

Circuit City only has one thing going for it here -- they seem to have these TVs in stock. But their prices suck!

Agreed. Amazon has the same set listed for $500 less than CC, since Amazon is located only an hour away, I'm going to see if I can get CC to lower the price for me. But, I would prefere to buy it locally and it's looking like my only choice.

-
-
post #905 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthissen View Post

Does anyone else see Rainbows on there xx87W set?

I have the 50" and it is my first DLP, while the pictuire is amazing I am starting to see rainbows and it is VERY annoying.
I have had the set for about 2 weeks and didn't see the RBE at all.
I then saw it once, then again a day later.
Well now my eyes know how to see it and I see it ALL the time when moving my eyes or turn my head away from the screen.
I will even see it when something bright moves very fast accross the screen.

It is weird, you know those 3D pictures, it might take you awhile to see it but once you see in to the picture you can allways see it easier each time.
I think that is happening to me, my eyes have learned how to see the rainbows.
The worse is the damn FOX logo on the lower right, I see bright quick rainbows moving around like trails from that.

I really love the PQ of this set and don't want to get rid of it.
There has to be a way to desenstize myself to it, or just try to learn to ive with it.

I have the same sentiments with my 5087W, I didn't see rainbows in the store and was hoping the faster color wheel might help. Have had the set for a day and am hoping my brain will adjust to turn off the rainbows, but at this point it's very distracting. Don't know if there are any tips for minimizing RBE ... beer?
post #906 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthissen View Post

Does anyone else see Rainbows on there xx87W set?

I have the 50" and it is my first DLP, while the pictuire is amazing I am starting to see rainbows and it is VERY annoying.
I have had the set for about 2 weeks and didn't see the RBE at all.
I then saw it once, then again a day later.
Well now my eyes know how to see it and I see it ALL the time when moving my eyes or turn my head away from the screen.
I will even see it when something bright moves very fast accross the screen.

Same thing here. I haven't found a way to avoid them other than to mentally slap my wrist when I notice my eyes moving on purpose just to "check" if I can see rainbows. Unfortunately, with TVs this big you have to move your eyes sometimes - that's the whole point. I see them mostly when there is a very high contrast line (white on black mostly). I'm actually a little concerned about B&W movies, and have to get my hands on one to try.
post #907 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 06:29 PM

I keep seeing references to either professional calibration or Avia DVD calibration. I have two questions:
1) Anyone tried the spyder? How would that compare?
2) With the DVD, don't you only end up calibrating your DVD system (DVD/TV combo)? how do you calibrate your HD (cable/TV) system?

CGN
post #908 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 06:49 PM

Just have to blurt out that my HL-S6187W arrived today and I have it all set up! I am *thrilled* and am happy to give a plug to OneCall. They have knowledgable salespeople and had the TV in stock. I leveraged the PB price with them and while they wouldn't match it (noting that TVA did not have it in stock while they did) they did come within $100 and also had free shipping. As many have noted, this gives me the 61" for less than you can buy the 50" at CC!

One final comment is that my biggest concern was how SDTV signals would look. Now, I imagine this will vary depending on how good your cable signal is, but I was *very* pleasantly surprised. It looks good! You can clearly see the analog signal's flaws, but it's WAY better than I had hoped.

Count me in as a lifetime Sony aficionado that is now a proud new member of Samsung Nation!
post #909 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosn View Post

I'm actually a little concerned about B&W movies, and have to get my hands on one to try.

"The Man Who Wasn't There" is a good test. Neither my wife or I are bothered by rainbows, but she saw one in this movie. She didn't know what it was. So far, she has never seen another one.

If you are constantly checking for rainbows that will make them easier to see. If you watch in a very dark room that also makes them easier to see. We use a dim back-light and usually are so involved in the movie that we don't think about looking elsewhere.

ADS probably makes it easier to see rainbows.

Calibration Resources:

post #910 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 07:54 PM

well more than 3 weeks now with my 6187 and I can say I love this TV. i've been messing with the settings and I found a great setup. no "sparkles", unbelivable detail, blacks, whites, and vivid colors. I thought i'd share even though I know it's different for every one. I'll also try posting some pics. I am using a Moto 3412 DVR from Comcast via HDMI.

Mode: movie
Contrast: 35
Brightness:50
Sharpness: 20
Color: 45
Color Temp: Normal

DNR: off
DNiE: off
post #911 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersfd View Post

well more than 3 weeks now with my 6187 and I can say I love this TV.

Glad you are lovin that TV.
Quick question...what's your viewing distance with your 61 incher?

to each his own...
post #912 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 08:11 PM

@ 9ft.
post #913 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 PM

Here are some Pics

HD (CBS, ABC, NBC, ESPN, INHD):

post #914 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 PM

SD (Disc, FSN, Speed, HBO)

post #915 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

So cool.

to each his own...
post #916 of 21399 Old 05-18-2006, 10:59 PM

Bought the 5087 today. I brought a printout of what Amazon had it listed for to Circuit City and they lowered the price by $300 and gave me free shipping. I get it delivered tomorrow after work, I can't wait to get the thing setup and see what a bunch of my DVDs are supposed to look like.

-
-
post #917 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 05:33 AM

I've been reading a lot about ths set and I may buy one in July (I'm movng to a new apt so I will wait until I'm set-up there). Does this set handle/display PAL? I have several region 2 DVD's and I would like to be able to watch them without doing a PAL/NTSC conversion via my Oppo.

Thanks,
Todd
post #918 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 06:59 AM

Please excuse my ignorance. Just got the 6187 on Monday with the matching Sammy stand. (Btw, was #22 on TVA list, and local BB in NJ got very, very close to price-matching so I pulled the trigger). HAve not tweaked any settings so far, but while there is some noticeable macroblocking noise, for the most part the HD feeds are pretty impressive. The non-HD stuff is OK, and looks better the farther away you sit. (We're about 16' from the TV). As an aside, my father has the 60" SXRD, and my initial impressions are the PQ is slightly better on the SXRD, but for us, not enough to justify the price difference. (I'm going to add an A/V reciever to the system with the "savings").

Anyway my Oppo arrived yesterday, and I am having issues with the setup. Currently have the Comcast Motorola STB hooked to 6187 via HDMI/DVI cable, with audio (red and white cables) from STB going into the HDMI audio slots. No issues, and everything AOK.

Attempted to hook the OPPO up last night, again using a HDMI/DVI cable, into the second slot of 6187, and using the secondary audio inputs recommended in the Samsung/Oppo manuals. Picture comes on fine, but no audio. When I pulled the STB audio cables and replaced them with the OPPO (switching the DVI/HDMI ports as well) the Oppo video worked fine, but then no cable audio was available.

Basically, I would like to be able to sit on my couch, watch a movie, and then switch to TV, without screwing around with the back of the set. What am I missing?

Do I have the wrong cables?
Do I need to run the Oppo audio cables through the STB?
Is there a remote control "switch" that allows the audio sources to move?
Should I ditch the DVI/HDMI on the Oppo and use the normal red/white/yellow hookup?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.
post #919 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzod View Post

Basically, I would like to be able to sit on my couch, watch a movie, and then switch to TV, without screwing around with the back of the set. What am I missing?

Do I have the wrong cables?
Do I need to run the Oppo audio cables through the STB?
Is there a remote control "switch" that allows the audio sources to move?
Should I ditch the DVI/HDMI on the Oppo and use the normal red/white/yellow hookup?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Good questions. I believe only one of the HDMI ports is actually made for DVI, for only one of them has the analog audio input. The other HDMI port should only be used, for a true HDMI cable (which includes audio). Yep, I confirmed it, for I found a picture of the back of your TV. HDMI input 1 can be used for DVI too, for it gives you the DVI in audio right next to it. However, HDMI input 2 does not have a analog audio input. The video will pass with a DVI signal, but no audio. This would be ok, if you had audio from the second source going to a receiver or something.

Here are my suggestions and questions:

First, I know the oppo is indeed only DVI (not HDMI), so yeah you're going to have to use the HDMI Input 1, for that source.

What about the cable box? The cable box is DVI too? If the cable box was HDMI, you could have used a HDMI to HDMI cable connect to HDMI 2, and the audio would have passed with it.

For NOW:

I would suggest you connect the cable box via component inputs. You need to get yourself the Green, Blue, and Red VIDEO cables (component cables). Do *not* use the yellow cable. Use the component inputs (red, blue, and red), and then you'll also use with that the white and red audio cables right below it. This will you to output high quality video, from the cable box.

This is not a bad solution actually. There is nothing particularly bad with component cables. Then your Oppo will still be connected via DVI on HDMI input 1. Then you'd have a spare full HDMI 2 available, for a future item you might need to input.

The other suggestions would be someday maybe you could get a cable box that had HDMI instead of DVI? Or someday a DVD player that had HDMI instead of DVI?

For now, I suggest as above you use component input for the cable box and DVI (on HDMI 1), for the dvd player. The reason I don't suggest opposite is the oppo won't pass the high resolution via component, but the cable box will.

Hope this helps?
post #920 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Just got the 6187 on Monday with the matching Sammy stand. (Btw, was #22 on TVA list, and local BB in NJ got very, very close to price-matching so I pulled the trigger).

If you don't mind me asking, which BB in NJ did you buy from? I'm in Central NJ and am thinking about going the same route you did in order to get the TV sooner.

Thanks

Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-151FD, Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Pioneer BDP-320, Panasonic DMP-BD35, Onkyo TX-SR603X, Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD, Logitech Harmony for 360
post #921 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersfd View Post

(pics)

Awesome pics! Lost and ESPN look great on that huge screen!

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing
 or the

post #922 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 AM

Just want to add that you may want to take a look at OneCall.com, which is where I just got my HL-S6187W delivered from. I leveraged the PB price with them, and they came within $100 of matching it, pointing out that TVA did not have it in stock while they did. Free shipping, no sales tax, and they even have a 18 month no payments no interest offer right now!
post #923 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord View Post

Just want to add that you may want to take a look at OneCall.com, which is where I just got my HL-S6187W delivered from. I leveraged the PB price with them, and they came within $100 of matching it, pointing out that TVA did not have it in stock while they did. Free shipping, no sales tax, and they even have a 18 month no payments no interest offer right now!

Interesting... i might have to take a look into them. I dont mind waiting for the PB, but since im in Cali.. TAX!!!

Edit: Availability: On Order, Reserve Yours Today - you snooze you lose

Hello Moto!
post #924 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 08:10 AM

wohoooo just got mine (like 5 mins ago) here are a few pics, im moving soon so I left all the audio stuff in the box and to lazy to clean up wires I dont have hd were I am at but I will post some better pics tonight on WMVHD and some xbox 360 pictures for you guys everyone go buy this tv NOW!!

http://gotbooost.com/others/Samsung <--go here for pics of the stand seperate and I will but uploading all pics here after I get everything set-up anyquestions llmk

Epson 3010
post #925 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 08:13 AM

Went to my local BB and caught the general manager walking around asked if they would pricematch (HL-S6187W) , he took the tag off the set and said let me see what I can do, came back 15 minutes later and priced it $100 under the power buy price, pre-tax . Pick the set up tomorrow.
post #926 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddilts399 View Post

Went to my local BB and caught the general manager walking around asked if they would pricematch (HL-S6187W) , he took the tag off the set and said let me see what I can do, came back 15 minutes later and priced it $100 under the power buy price, pre-tax . Pick the set up tomorrow.

When you did that, what did you bring as proof of the lower price? Just curious...

Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-151FD, Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Pioneer BDP-320, Panasonic DMP-BD35, Onkyo TX-SR603X, Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD, Logitech Harmony for 360
post #927 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra2001 View Post

If you don't mind me asking, which BB in NJ did you buy from? I'm in Central NJ and am thinking about going the same route you did in order to get the TV sooner.

Thanks

The BB on Route 46 in Patterson. I dealt w/Justin (non-blue shirt wearing junior mgmt. guy with spiky black hair), and said from the beginning if he could get close, I'd buy it on the spot. The price match was not contingent on buying warranties, cables or anything else, though I did buy the stand. Went in on Sat. a.m. and the set was delivered, w/stand assembled by them, with boxes carted off, Monday @ 12:30 p.m. Excellent experience across the board. You do get nicked up on taxes, but I figured it was worth going local and having the use of the set for ??? weeks before TVA's sets were ready to go.
post #928 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton911 View Post

Good questions. I believe only one of the HDMI ports is actually made for DVI, for only one of them has the analog audio input. The other HDMI port should only be used, for a true HDMI cable (which includes audio). Yep, I confirmed it, for I found a picture of the back of your TV. HDMI input 1 can be used for DVI too, for it gives you the DVI in audio right next to it. However, HDMI input 2 does not have a analog audio input. The video will pass with a DVI signal, but no audio. This would be ok, if you had audio from the second source going to a receiver or something.

Here are my suggestions and questions:

First, I know the oppo is indeed only DVI (not HDMI), so yeah you're going to have to use the HDMI Input 1, for that source.

What about the cable box? The cable box is DVI too? If the cable box was HDMI, you could have used a HDMI to HDMI cable connect to HDMI 2, and the audio would have passed with it.

For NOW:

I would suggest you connect the cable box via component inputs. You need to get yourself the Green, Blue, and Red VIDEO cables (component cables). Do *not* use the yellow cable. Use the component inputs (red, blue, and red), and then you'll also use with that the white and red audio cables right below it. This will you to output high quality video, from the cable box.

This is not a bad solution actually. There is nothing particularly bad with component cables. Then your Oppo will still be connected via DVI on HDMI input 1. Then you'd have a spare full HDMI 2 available, for a future item you might need to input.

The other suggestions would be someday maybe you could get a cable box that had HDMI instead of DVI? Or someday a DVD player that had HDMI instead of DVI?

For now, I suggest as above you use component input for the cable box and DVI (on HDMI 1), for the dvd player. The reason I don't suggest opposite is the oppo won't pass the high resolution via component, but the cable box will.

Hope this helps?

Thanks so much. I'll get the blue/red/green cables set up and report back on results. Really appreciate the guidance.
post #929 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:

The BB on Route 46 in Patterson. I dealt w/Justin (non-blue shirt wearing junior mgmt. guy with spiky black hair), and said from the beginning if he could get close, I'd buy it on the spot. The price match was not contingent on buying warranties, cables or anything else, though I did buy the stand. Went in on Sat. a.m. and the set was delivered, w/stand assembled by them, with boxes carted off, Monday @ 12:30 p.m. Excellent experience across the board. You do get nicked up on taxes, but I figured it was worth going local and having the use of the set for ??? weeks before TVA's sets were ready to go.

Thanks for the info!

post #930 of 21399 Old 05-19-2006, 08:56 AM

I was #50 on the pre-order list so I just took in the print out of my order. They needed that for the manual price match they write up.

I am in Cedar Rapids, IA.

After tax it put me $50 higher, but to be able to have the set tomorrow and from a local, it was a no brainer.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page