Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Excuse me, but WHAT implementation?? Show me one production Blu-Ray player that we can examine to verify full implementation of the Blu-Ray specification.

On paper, anything can be made to look better. Lets look at actual implementation before we make unsubstantiated claims.

I agree with you now more then ever, after seeing what happened to the PS3 from last year to this year E3 I'm convinced that Sony Blue-Ray is mostly hype.
The PS3 was supposed to have true 1080p games with dual HDMI for dual monitors and now it turned out the premium one will get only 1 HDMI and the cheaper one no HDMI at all, meaning no 1080p and most games will be in 720p and 1080i just like Microsoft anticipated. I'm predicting now that there will be no major differences between the Blue-Ray and HD-DVD with the latter being cheaper both on hardware and software. Just my 2c

Plasma LCD or SED ?
AVS Forums Procedure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 02:12 PM

For anybody interested in the TVA PB this is their backdoor to it :
http://www.tvauthority.com/avs-members-only.asp

I'm hoping the reason why AVS closed their link to it is because TVA needs to get their stuff together and come back when the product is actually in stock and with a more competitive price.

Plasma LCD or SED ?
AVS Forums Procedure
post #993 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 05:01 PM

I have a local retailer who is willing to give me a deal on this TV, but it only comes with the manufactor warranty. If I went with this, what would I do about a warranty? Is it sketchy to buy from someone who cannot also sell me a warranty? Thanks for the help.

Brian
post #994 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, I just bought the HLS5687W and can't wait till tomorrow when they deliver it. I bought it a CC and they had a samsung 1080P demo running on it with no other sets hooked to the demo. All I can say is that this thing was absolutely beautiful!!

I just wish I had it now so I could be watching Batman Begins. Can't wait to see what the HD-DVD of Serenity and others look like.

I hate to sound like a small child. But, these new toys are fun, fun,fun. What a great time for this hobby!!

Tony
post #995 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Perfect HDTV View Post

I agree with you now more then ever, after seeing what happened to the PS3 from last year to this year E3 I'm convinced that Sony Blue-Ray is mostly hype.
The PS3 was supposed to have true 1080p games with dual HDMI for dual monitors and now it turned out the premium one will get only 1 HDMI and the cheaper one no HDMI at all, meaning no 1080p and most games will be in 720p and 1080i just like Microsoft anticipated. I'm predicting now that there will be no major differences between the Blue-Ray and HD-DVD with the latter being cheaper both on hardware and software. Just my 2c

Component cables are capable of carrying 1080p signals. HDMI/DVI is only necessary for those BluRay/HD DVD movies with ICT enabled on the disc. The cheaper PS3 will always be capable of displaying games in 1080p.
post #996 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

anyone pre order the HLS6188W from TVA?
They no longer sell it
post #997 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

Do you know when exactly the Sony BD player will be released? Sorry to go OT. Also have you seen the Sammy BD player? I will most likely get the Sammy to go along with the 6187.

The Sony rep running the presentation (which was two weeks ago) said that their BDP-S1 would be available in August, but no specific date was given. He also said that their upcoming '06 TVs (like the new 70" SXRD) will be officially announced in June and should be available in the August/September time frame.

I have not seen the Samsung player or any other Blu-Ray player.
post #998 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

I just wish I had it now so I could be watching Batman Begins. Can't wait to see what the HD-DVD of Serenity and others look like.

Serenity looks awesome - really nice transfer. I thought the 5.1 surround mix was a little lacking, though. Overall a good initial release. It's the only HD-DVD I've bought for my player so far.
post #999 of 21399 Old 05-20-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Perfect HDTV View Post

HDMI functionality can be added to the cheaper base model PS3 (just one more accessory to buy). Same with the dual-display functionality, it's an add-on that neither do out of the box, but Sony still lists it on their spec sheet and it was demoed at E3.

As for 1080p support for games, I think it will come in time, but little or no 1080p offerings will arrive with the first wave of games. Many of these initial titles have been in development for the past year or two and 1080p was still only a faint blip on the radar when most of these titles were in the planning stages. Give it time... Microsoft's outlook on 1080p is rather short-sighted, IMO. Surprising for them really. HD-DVD does and will offer 1080p content as time goes on too. Honestly, with the current state of Hollywood support I don't see either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray losing out to one another and in the end I think we'll end up seeing universal players and/or studios supporting both formats. If this "war" takes too long, you can bet that every major studio (except Sony) will start to release on both formats. After all, they're in this to sell their product and make money and industry politics will only serve a short delay in the face of industry greed.

In general, Sony is full of hype -- always has been and probably always will be. But they have a great product and disc format with Blu-Ray. We can only hope that they use the format to its potential and market it well. If anything we'll see HD movies at the same price point as regular DVD movies from both sides as they won't be giving consumers and reason to not buy.
post #1000 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 05:43 AM

Much info on whats going on between TV and these new disc players.

http://ultimateavmag.com/features/506hdreport/
post #1001 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 05:53 AM

We are going to buy the HLR5667W this week. We want to connect it to a digital cable box which will have HD capabilities and an XBOX (not 360). I am a total newbie-- what wires etc do I need to buy to have a good setup or is everything fine from the box?

Also, after reading from this forum I think we are going to order from tvauthority so we won't have white glove delivery. How hard is it to lift the TV to put it in place? We will have new furniture and I don't want to have it damaged!

TIA!
post #1002 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedVisual View Post

HDMI functionality can be added to the cheaper base model PS3 (just one more accessory to buy).

Not correct. PS3 base model does not have the HDMI chips. So, there won't be any adopter that can add HDMI.

Think about it - HDMI port itself would cost just cents - why exclude it if all the circuitry, chips and royalty is already paid for ? Check the playstation area for detailed discussion on this.

Quote:

HD-DVD does and will offer 1080p content as time goes on too

HD DVD content is already 1080p24. Its the player which does not output 1080p. 2G player will ...
post #1003 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

That would SO piss me off, given I probably didn't help my credit score applying for their card so that I could get on the PowerBuy...and then have the special pricing ended prematurely..

Repeat after me: I am not just a number . . . I am not just a number.
post #1004 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 10:52 AM

I just want to say thank you to all the people who have posted in this thread and helped me make a good decision. After much debate, I went out and got the HLS-5687W yesterday and holy crap am I a happy camper! I switched out from a Sony 36" XBR CRT (480p) from 2002. I was going to get one of these about a month ago, but then I read about the LED set and started drooling. However, once the date was pushed to July, price was $1000 more, and since it is v1.0 of a new system, I figured the extra warranty on the 87 series would quell my fears on any color wheel/lamp issues and same me some $$$.

Picked it up at a local Circuit City - got the last one - like other posters, they met me half way on the TVA power buy price as long as I got a warranty, and did the financing thing. I got a stand too, and that helped them distribute the discounts. As i understand it, they will replace up to 2 bulbs in the 5 year span, so it more or less pays for itself - the extra bit covers the invaluable "peace of mind" aspect

I was actually going to get the HL-S5087W, but after working prices with the salesguy, the 56" was only a little bit more than the 50". PM me if you want to know prices, don't want to violate rules here on my first post.

I kinda went crazy and picked up the Xbox 360 & HD DVR (H10-250) at the same time - damn u 0% financing!

- First Impressions -
Installation - this thing is so light - the only reason u need 2 people is because of the bulk.

First power-up
It also makes a little chime sound when it turns on - kind of a nice touch (you can disable in setup screen). Screen comes up in 10-15 sec, is very dim for the first 30 sec-1min but after that... The screen is BRIGHT! DNIe is set to off. Dropping brightness doesn't decrease intensity of the whites and i can't find the dimmer knob for the lamp, but i'm not complaining - i just moved the couch back a bit more

Standard Def (SD)
I've got some work to do on the existing DirecTV dish for HD programming, but for now i have the old TiVO (Sony SAT T-60) hooked up via S-Video and it looks awesome. Screen scaling works great - all filled in and really clean. I don't notice any pin cushioning at this time when in 4:3 mode.

Rainbows? Naw...
Sin City happened to be on last night and it looked great even in SD. If it wiggled my eyes like it drank 20 cups of coffee, sweeping my focus left-right-up-down all over the screen many many times a second, I guess I could see rainbows, but I sure as hell couldn't see the movie if I did that, so no rainbow issues!

High Def (component)
Xbox 360 via Component set to 1080i - this is unbelievable. My neighbor caught a glimpse through the window just as I turned it on for the first time and put in PGR 3. He immediately came in and said "WOW! Can I play?" and didn't leave for a good half hour until his wife called him to dinner. Games took up pretty much the rest of the night when some friends showed up.

Gonna go pick up some cables from monoprice for PC (DVI to HDMI) & HD DVR - Unreal Tournament 2004 is going to be so nice on this screen!

I already have an older DVD player with component out but haven't put that in yet as we were all distracted by Xbox last night. I'm debating the up-converting DVD player - probably get my roomate to buy that . If that happens, I suppose i will get that calibration DVD from Amazon and make the screen super pretty.

Again, thank you to the many people who have made the plunge before me and for those who are still debating the Samsung 87 Series - GO GET IT, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!
post #1005 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Great review, post some pics if you can...
post #1006 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 11:34 AM

Hey guys I'm pretty close to buying my first HD set but I have a couple of questions.

1. I've never seen HD for real, when watching HD sports on ESPN for example is the aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9? Does the picture take up the entire screen?

2. Since this set does not have cable card does this mean I will have to use a set top box for HD forever?

3. I will be able to play PS3 in 1080p over HDMI, right?

4. I'm confused...does the set have a digital optical or coax output that will let me send a 5.1 signal to my receiver? Can I receive 5.1 audio and send it to my receiver with this set?

5. I've read about the center channel speaker stands, can someone post a link to it? I can't find it. Does it work well?

6. Do I need a special TV stand or can I use the one I already have? (you can check below for pictures of my current stand)

7. Will any BB, CC or Sears sell the 88 series?

8. Are there any professional reviews of this set?

9. Do I have to pay to have it installed or can I just pick it up myself?

10. This set doesn't have DVI, do I need DVI?

Mirkwood 4.0 Equipment List

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very outdated website.
post #1007 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 12:18 PM

Does anyone have an HLS set with the Toshiba HD-DVD player working with HDMI input in any sort of fashion whether it be direct connect or through any other component ?
post #1008 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

1- espn ration is 4:3 sometimes its 16:9

2-yes forever

3-yes if u buy the $599 PS3

4- not sure

5-pass

6-pass

7-call them and ask

8-not yet

9-you can pick it up

10-no u don't need DVI unless your DVD player doesn't have HDMI and has DVI even then u can buy a DVI to HDMI cable
post #1009 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
What are the chances that Best Buy's with Magnolias will carry the 88 series?

Right now on the Best Buy website, that doesn't list Magnolia stuff, they have the 61" 87 series TV for sale. I didn't follow if last year Magnolia offered the high end series.
post #1010 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

I didn't follow if last year Magnolia offered the high end series.

Yes they have, and yes they will.

Samsung seems to be distributing to their volume (BB, CC, Sears, Frys, etc.) dealers first this year.

Magnolia has the HLSxx88 models listed as coming in at the end of the month, but no solid information.

I expect that RPTV prices are going to keep getting softer.
post #1011 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For those that are interested I gave TVA a call and the PB is still going on, they don't know why the thread has been removed from these forums.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #1012 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

It is up and running again.
post #1013 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

For those that are interested I gave TVA a call and the PB is still going on, they don't know why the thread has been removed from these forums.

Did they mention if the 88's are still coming?
post #1014 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dadd View Post

Did they mention if the 88's are still coming?

Didn't think to ask, sorry.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #1015 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 03:39 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just checked @ Amazon. The listed ship date for 5087s is July.

TWD
post #1016 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Does anyone have an HLS set with the Toshiba HD-DVD player working with HDMI input in any sort of fashion whether it be direct connect or through any other component ?

Same problem here! All I get from either input, HDMI or Component is "weak signal" on the screen. I know for a fact the player is working. I just had the Samsung delivered and before that it was working perfectly on my Toshiba crt.

I just returned my player yesterday for a new one because the blue diode went out. What now!

I bought this Samsung just so I could plat HD0DVD in all it's glory. I'm not a happy camper now.
post #1017 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 04:19 PM

Well, after one week, here's my impressions:

1. Sparkles
Yes, I'm seeing them. It may very well be my source material; An RCA Scenium DVD player with component output. Is anybody seeing these with an HD signal?
Can the firmware be updated on a Samsung, if that's the issue?

2. Is it a good investment?
Or should I return it and wait for the Samsung or HP LED model? Does anybody have any idea if they are really going to have superior picture quality? Will Circuit City take it back without a restocking fee (< 30 days)?

3. The anxiety of the Money...
I spent far more than I needed to; Wish I'd just done the powerbuy and saved the money!

Any thoughts anyone else has, would be greatly appreciated.
post #1018 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 04:32 PM

Perhaps someone can give me advice here regarding the TR50X3B stand..

I have a set coming this Saturday from CC. Unfortunately, I took for granted the fact that I'd be able to secure one of these stands. All of the BBs in my area are sold out, even though a few still show stock (meaning they've sold them recently).

I can grab one from another online retailer, but it would definitely not come before this weekend.

Should I pull the trigger for the online retailer and push back my CC delivery? Or should I take a chance that BB will restock them within the week? How is there track recording regarding restocking these units?

Obviously, with it being memorial day weekend, I'd love to take delivery with the extra day off... but I'm a little uncertain that counting on BB to restock is the right move.

Any advice? Any retailers that I can grab this from within a week?
post #1019 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 04:51 PM

I'd just order the stand online and then sit the TV on something makeshift for the time being. That's just me though.
post #1020 of 21399 Old 05-21-2006, 05:08 PM

If you set the mode to "Movie" DNR and DNIe are turned off. I find that DNR eliminates all sparkle issues. Make sure you have DNR on and hopefully your problems will go away.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page