Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1081 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all... question for those that have received HLS tv's thru the TVA PowerBuy. Once you receive your "order confirmation" call or whatever, when it's ready to ship, how soon did you get the TV at your house?

Does it ship from sort of a local or regional warehouse or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar67845 View Post

Im wondering if its possible to pass a 1080p signal through the componet cables?

Yes, according to the Samsung spec sheet.
post #1083 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 01:43 PM

For anybody waiting on the 88's.......I spoke direct with a Production Manager at Samsung in New Jersey this afternoon and was told that the delivery (from Mexico) has slipped another couple of weeks. As of today, stores like Tweeter will not see the 88's until around the 7th of June.
post #1084 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 PM

post #1085 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzixter View Post

This sounds almost identical to a post in the Toshiba owners. I wonder if this is troll effort

Got mine delivered by Sears on Sun. Delivery guy did not set it up saying the TV needs to be brought down to the room temp before it could be turned on as the temp inside the delivery truck was 100+.

So I turned it on later that evening and watched it maybe for a couple of hours. i just had an RCA cable hooked up from my Charter DigitalSTB(not HD) and my wife said that the HD picture was awsome. That's how good the SD came through on this TV.

Anyway, the Charter guys came over on Monday to upgrade me to HD. Wife calls and tells me that the technician couldn't get the TV to turn on and left saying that he didn't want to mess up with such a beautiful TV! So I go home in the evening all excited about HD and to my horror the lamp was gone :-(
Called tech support- they offered to send someone over to replace the lamp but wife wanted a replacement. Sears is going to deliver a replacement tomorrow. Lets see. What a bummer!

It looks beautiful
post #1086 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrad View Post

For anybody waiting on the 88's.......I spoke direct with a Production Manager at Samsung in New Jersey this afternoon and was told that the delivery (from Mexico) has slipped another couple of weeks. As of today, stores like Tweeter will not see the 88's until around the 7th of June.

Well this seems to be about right. Tweeter yesterday said they would be seeing them in their warehouse around the 28th and then i might see it a week or so after.
Was this Samsung rep saying that they would be appearing in Tweeter stores around June 7th or being shipped to their distribution warehouse at that time?
Just cant happen fast enough...
post #1087 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshapiro View Post

Found these on www.samsungparts.com:

Assy Speaker P - $49.42

LAF!

I wonder how much a good speaker will cost.
post #1088 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerry View Post

Not quite... The HL-Sxx88 series is supposed to have a qam tuner and cable card slot. The HL-Sxx87 models have neither.

Oops, I meant HL-Sxx88.

to each his own...
post #1089 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 03:28 PM

On the subject of spair parts does anyone know if there is a device that will let you mount your center channel speaker on top of the tv? This is my first DLP and it doesnt look like there's enough room to put the center channel speaker (about 5 inches in depth) on top of it.
post #1090 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof View Post

On the subject of spair parts does anyone know if there is a device that will let you mount your center channel speaker on top of the tv? This is my first DLP and it doesnt look like there's enough room to put the center channel speaker (about 5 inches in depth) on top of it.

Put it in on the bottom!
post #1091 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof View Post

I bought the Omnimount Center Channel Speaker shelf. Click this:

http://ostg.pricegrabber.com/search_...sterid=5205248

My 5087 hasn't come yet, so I'm still waiting to use it, but others have purchased the same unit and they say it works great.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #1092 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrad View Post

WTF???? this stinks!
post #1093 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zainag View Post

Put it in on the bottom!

With the TR50X3B stand you only have room to put upto four compenents on there dont you? This will be used for my cablebox, xbox 360, ps3, etc. I dont think ill have enough room to fit a center channel speaker in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

My 5087 hasn't come yet, so I'm still waiting to use it, but others have purchased the same unit and they say it works great.

Thanks that seems to do the trick.
post #1094 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

I'm looking at buying a HLS5687W in the fall, however, I just read over at crutchfield.com that this model does not have a Digital ATSC Cable Tuner, just an OTA tuner? Furthermore, I read there that I would have to upgrade to the HLS5688W to get Digital Cable support and the Cablecard feature (I could care less about the Cablecard feature)?

What gives? Is this true? From my limited understanding, if I purchase the HLS5687W, I will not be able to hook up my Comcast cable box and enjoy my HD cable?

I apologize if this has been asked over and over again, however, I don't have the time to read through 34 pages of this thread.

Thank you in advance,
Quik

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #1095 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Anyone using or planning on using an MX-850 remote? Im considering grabbing one and noticed that the new Samsung codes are not listed in their software.
Link to info on MX-850
post #1096 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post

What gives? Is this true? From my limited understanding, if I purchase the HLS5687W, I will not be able to hook up my Comcast cable box and enjoy my HD cable?
Quik

If you are using a cable box the tuner in the TV doesn't matter you are using the tunner in the cable box. The tuner in the 88 series needs the cable card to be of any use. but using a cable card you could dich the cable box.

Simple answer:
87 series will be fine if you are getting a box from the cable company.
post #1097 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijammer View Post

If you are using a cable box the tuner in the TV doesn't matter you are using the tunner in the cable box. The tuner in the 88 series needs the cable card to be of any use. but using a cable card you could dich the cable box.

Simple answer:
87 series will be fine if you are getting a box from the cable company.

Awesome, thanks Hijammer, I totally forgot that the cable box has a tuner as well.

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #1098 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTL View Post

This almost sounds like you assembled it incorrectly. I assembled mine for my (hopefully soon to be arriving 5088) and the glass shelves are flush with the front of the stand. Make sure you mounted the rear support clips correctly and that the glass shleves are pushed all the way into them, if they are not they will overhang the front of the stand some.

Yup, everything assambled correctly; I assamble lots of things and I'm quite handy . As someone else mentioned, there isn't much depth to this stand and as such the cables behind the components can actually push the entire shelf forward.

Quote:

The rubber pieces should be adhered to the metal supports. If the rubber pieces are sliding either the glue didn't hold for some reason or you didn't peel off the backing before putting them in place.

Glue doesn't stick very well. I'm actually going to take it appart and see if I can crazy glue the rubber feet without dissolving them

Quote:

Im also not sure what you mean by the top shelf being short. The depth of both are the same. You are correct in saying that they are not adjustable, but there should be plenty of room for most A/V components. I plan on putting my center channel speaker on the top shelf and my HTPC and STB on the bottom.

The height/clearance of the top shelf for components is shorter than my A/V receiver and my DVD/STB stack, so the receiver has to go on the bottom.

Quote:

I wanted to add one other thing. You mention the wood cracking when you were installing one of the screws. I had no such problems when assembling mine. If im not mistaken all of the attachment points had metal thread inserts into which the screws were screwed into. There are no wood screws which your comment may lead some to beleive, all screws used are machine screws.

You're right - no wood screws. None the less the wood actually cracked a bit. Not enough to worry about, but surprising. Two of my cams also broke, the metal was quite brittle and had to buy new ones at Home Depot.

Quote:

One last thing on the remote issue and having to raise your hand to clear the coffee table. I feel your pain here and really hate to move once i get comfortable

Someone else (dropKickMurphy) commented on this (in a good natured way). The problem ain't so much the raising the arm, but the reduction in reaction speed to stop the FFW of commercials or when hitting the reverse button when the wife asks "what did they say?"
post #1099 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS21CA View Post

Hello,

I just purchased this TV on friday, and I also purchased the Panasonic DVD Player (DVDS52S) to use via HDMI. When I watch movies such as the incredibles for a few minutes, I experience blocks and distortion on the screen. I am not sure if it is the DVD player or the TV. But I am assuming it is the DVD player. Are there any suggestions on how to get around this, or if anyone has experienced this. I am not sure if this is called exactly, but it is pretty annoying. Any solutions?

Other than that the colors are awesome, I also put in a few other dvds and got the same problem. DVD player suggestions are also appretiated. I might just return this player and get the sony or the samsung 850 model.

Thanks in Advance

Which TV did you get?

Samsung PN59D7000 | Uverse VIP2250 | Samsung BDD5500 | Apple TV 2
post #1100 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 06:02 PM

Has anyone found out how to deal with what I call pseudo-widescreen titles? These are, for instance, On-demand features that are "wide-screen" delivered in a 4:3 format with black bars top and bottom. The result is a shrunk image with a 16:9 aspect ratio, but centered on the screen.

When feeding through an HDMI connection, the only zoom mode is the wide stretch mode, which seems to stretch the image fully in the horizontal direction, but not in the vertical direction. The result is fat squat people. I almost prefer watching it without the zoom, even if it gives me an effective TV size of 40" or so (on my 50" 5087). I can post picts if people are confused by my description.
post #1101 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropKickMurphy View Post

"...if I bought their warranty..."

Did you buy the $500 warranty that adds 2 years to the Samsung Warranty, or the $700 one that adds 4 years?
The extended warranties form the B&M stores are a rip off. You can buy extended warranties from 3rd party sources for a fraction of that price.

It's easy to get a "great deal" on a TV at these places if you agree to purchase their over priced add-ons like warranties, stands, and cables. They can sell you the TV at close to their cost since they're making so much profit on those items.

That $2625 that you mentioned is basically BS. Add the tax, the delivery charge, the expensive add-ons...That's the price you paid.

Murphy ... It's funny (or not), that Sears has jacked up the cost of the EW so much. Almost 3 years ago (closer to 2.5), I purchased an EW for $399 from Sears, which covers me for 5 years total, and includes bulbs. Now, it costs nearly double that. Sears learned quick. I've had two light engine replacements and one bulb up to this point (expecting it to go in the not-so-distant future due to hours). I have a spare bulb to tide me over until a warranty replacement comes (about 5 days last time). That EW was money well spent, in my case. Two light engines at about $1300 each, and a $300 bulb (soon to be two bulbs) set me back $399. Take it for what it's worth - I normally flatulate at the thought of EW's, but in this type of technology, I think you do yourself a disservice not to purchase a reasonably priced one with your new set.

I hate throwing away money, especially on a warrant I would not likely use. I think over the course of five years with a microdisplay RPTV set, the warranty will pay for itself and then some in probably 75 to 85 percent of the cases. I look forward to a day when the technology is mature enough that the failure rate is much lower - until then...

Chris
----------------------------------------------
post #1102 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

You guys need to be really careful about doing this. The cases that these TV's are made of, are plastic. And we're talking light weight. In the end, these cases were not engineered to hold any weight while mantaining their structural integrity. At a minimum, too much weight will cause the plastic to deflect, which will cause the mirror mounted to that sloping back to be pushed out of shape and distort the shape of your projected image. Maximum damage can occur too, causing the case to crack or split. As it is, many microdisplay RPTVs will let out a rare but occasional "pop" or "crack" from the difference of temperature between the inside of the TV and the external temps.

If you plan on using a center channel that weighs more than 10 or 15 pounds (which would be a pretty wimpy one), I would strongly suggest not resting the weight of the speaker on the top of the TV, using that shelf listed above, or otherwise. Try to apply some common sense here. There are alternative ways to mount a speaker above the TV, without doing this.

Chris
----------------------------------------------
post #1103 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 06:45 PM

Hey folks, I am a newb here, but a friend of mine (punisherofall) asked me to post. Why? Well, I guess since I have both:

56" Samsung DLP 1080P (purchased last week)
and
50" Sony SXRD (purchased in late January)

Ok, here is my experience description:

[1] SONY: Well, when I got my first SXRD, it was beautiful, but flawed. Lots of dead pixels, bluish corners on black scenes, and more. I returned it in 48 hours and got another set. This one was really good, could not find any real problems (only 4 dead pixels, stuck in the "gray" position, which were not visible unless you were 12" from the screen). It has been my main set for 5.5 months, and no problems. I calibrated with DVE, and it has looked great. Love the set. Have it plugged into a lower end (HTS 800) monster clean power unit on the power and cable inputs.

[2] SAMMY: My friend kept telling me about the sammy, how crisp it was, how nice the industrial design of the external case was, and I checked it out, yep, it looked good! I needed another set for the bedroom, so I went and picked it up. Ok, right out of the box, I calibrated with DVE. Hmm, looked ok, but what was that? Ack! I saw what I would describe as "swimmy pixels" even on HD signals (Time Warner Cable HD pakcage, all channels, Austin Texas area). These same signals were clear on my SXRD, so I was pretty miffed. But ok, I had heard that the line conditioners tended to help with mosiquitos on the screen, so I went and got a monster HTS 1600, ran all power and cable connections through it, and voila, perfect picture! Um, oh yeah, I did see freakish rainbow effect my first night with it, on the THX calibration pattern with the white circle in the square box...freaked me out! I don't see it much any more though. Does not bother me on actual video. Mostly saw it when looking at the screen and then quickly looking away (probably catching the color wheel at different colors as the eyes are in the motion of tracking away... your eyes can twitch pretty fast if you make them).

COMPARISON:
They are both sweet, but truthfully, the DLP is to crisper in my opinion (read OPINION). I love it! Edges seem sharper, and darks are more natural. This is comparing back to back on high quality HD feeds in 1080i, on the same feed, with power scrubbers. Now I am not knocking the SXRD, it looks awesome. But the DLP is just a bit sharper. I have both sets, and honestly prefer the DLP.

Just my dos centavos

Thanks!

---------------------------------------
Aristocles
Austin, TX
post #1104 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten 99 View Post

If you plan on using a center channel that weighs more than 10 or 15 pounds (which would be a pretty wimpy one), I would strongly suggest not resting the weight of the speaker on the top of the TV, using that shelf listed above, or otherwise. Try to apply some common sense here. There are alternative ways to mount a speaker above the TV, without doing this.

Here is an example of an alternative method of mounting a speaker above the set...

Don
LL
post #1105 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocles View Post

Hey folks, I am a newb here, but a friend of mine (punisherofall) asked me to post. Why? Well, I guess since I have both:

56" Samsung DLP 1080P (purchased last week)
and
50" Sony SXRD (purchased in late January)

Ok, here is my experience description:

[1] SONY: Well, when I got my first SXRD, it was beautiful, but flawed. Lots of dead pixels, bluish corners on black scenes, and more. I returned it in 48 hours and got another set. This one was really good, could not find any real problems (only 4 dead pixels, stuck in the "gray" position, which were not visible unless you were 12" from the screen). It has been my main set for 5.5 months, and no problems. I calibrated with DVE, and it has looked great. Love the set. Have it plugged into a lower end (HTS 800) monster clean power unit on the power and cable inputs.

[2] SAMMY: My friend kept telling me about the sammy, how crisp it was, how nice the industrial design of the external case was, and I checked it out, yep, it looked good! I needed another set for the bedroom, so I went and picked it up. Ok, right out of the box, I calibrated with DVE. Hmm, looked ok, but what was that? Ack! I saw what I would describe as "swimmy pixels" even on HD signals (Time Warner Cable HD pakcage, all channels, Austin Texas area). These same signals were clear on my SXRD, so I was pretty miffed. But ok, I had heard that the line conditioners tended to help with mosiquitos on the screen, so I went and got a monster HTS 1600, ran all power and cable connections through it, and voila, perfect picture! Um, oh yeah, I did see freakish rainbow effect my first night with it, on the THX calibration pattern with the white circle in the square box...freaked me out! I don't see it much any more though. Does not bother me on actual video. Mostly saw it when looking at the screen and then quickly looking away (probably catching the color wheel at different colors as the eyes are in the motion of tracking away... your eyes can twitch pretty fast if you make them).

COMPARISON:
They are both sweet, but truthfully, the DLP is to crisper in my opinion (read OPINION). I love it! Edges seem sharper, and darks are more natural. This is comparing back to back on high quality HD feeds in 1080i, on the same feed, with power scrubbers. Now I am not knocking the SXRD, it looks awesome. But the DLP is just a bit sharper. I have both sets, and honestly prefer the DLP.

Just my dos centavos

Thanks!

Good comments on both sets. I am leaning toward the Sammy as well, just trying to decide 5087, or 5687. I need to know far away would be optimum to view the 56? (this might help me decide based on my room size).

And has anyone gotten the 5687 from TVA on the Powerbuy? Thanks! Bob
post #1106 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten 99 View Post

You guys need to be really careful about doing this. The cases that these TV's are made of, are plastic. And we're talking light weight. In the end, these cases were not engineered to hold any weight while mantaining their structural integrity. At a minimum, too much weight will cause the plastic to deflect, which will cause the mirror mounted to that sloping back to be pushed out of shape and distort the shape of your projected image. Maximum damage can occur too, causing the case to crack or split. As it is, many microdisplay RPTVs will let out a rare but occasional "pop" or "crack" from the difference of temperature between the inside of the TV and the external temps.

As I stated in my post, I haven't tried the Omnimount yet, but I have sent some PMs to those who are using it and they wrote me back and said it was working great. If someone who has the Omnimount (or a similar speaker shelf) reads this, it would be nice for you to weigh in. I guess I would be surprised if these caused the problem you mention, for they were designed especially for DLP tvs, and MANY stores, including high end stores, are selling them. You would think this problem would have been reported by now if it really is a problem. In closing I will add that the reviews on Amazon.com for this product are quite impressive.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #1107 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Hello,

I just purchased the 5687 on friday, and I also purchased the Panasonic DVD Player (DVDS52S) to use via HDMI. When I watch movies such as the incredibles for a few minutes, I experience blocks and distortion on the screen. I am not sure if it is the DVD player or the TV. But I am assuming it is the DVD player. Are there any suggestions on how to get around this, or if anyone has experienced this. I am not sure if this is called exactly, but it is pretty annoying. Any solutions?

Other than that the colors are awesome, I also put in a few other dvds and got the same problem. DVD player suggestions are also appretiated. I might just return this player and get the sony or the samsung 850 model.

Thanks in Advance

I purchased the hl-S5687

| LN46A650 | PS3 | HD-A30 | X360 |
post #1108 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Ok, I have a connections question:

It is my understanding that this TV has 2 HDMI inputs in the back. One would be taken up by the cable box, the other by the DVD player. My question is, how would I hook up a PS3 to this TV if those are taken up? Would I have to use component cables? Is that how the 360 is hooked up at this point.

Thanks for the help.

Brian
post #1109 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 08:54 PM

I recently bought a TV from circuit city. It had a white glare mark on the center of the TV. It first seemed to me maybe it is sunlight, i saw it in the night as well. Then i though it might be the reflection from the TV light. I took plug out it still had that mark. I called the samsung tech home he said there is a defect in the mothereboard and it will need to be fixed. I retunred the tv and then i purchased a new one from circuit city same issue. does anyone know regarding this issue.
The glare shows from an angle while the Tv is off and if you look closely you will see while the tv is on as well.
post #1110 of 21399 Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 PM

I just purchased the 6187W from BB. They could not match the TV Authority AVS Forum powerbuy price but came in $200.00 above the powerbuy price. Plus I got 18 months interest free....

My questions are the following:

1. The BB tech claimed that Samsung only covers the bulb for 3 months and not for 1 year. Is this true?

2. Where is a good place to buy the extended warranty??

THANKS!!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page