Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 376 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #11251 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64ra View Post

I was at Fry's on Sunday when they were showing football on the HDTVs. I noticed on the HL-S5087W (and actually several models) that the video looked fuzzy blocky around helmets against the green field. Most other shots looked great. Is this caused by the coax cable being used in the display? Would component or HDMI cables make it look less blocky? Was it from the source? Or is this something that just happens on HDTVs?

Store displays can be notoriously bad. They also can vary greatly from store to store, even among the same store name. Go to a different store for comparison.

Also store displays are usually set up in a DEMO mode that is overly bright, often with DNIE "ON". This is to compensate for the stores lighting. Even at home I will, at times, change the picture mode to STANDARD during the day and MOVIE at night to adjust for ambient light.

At the store start playing with the menu settings until a CSR freaks out and then tell them you want to see the display in MOVIE mode. You can also print off Eliab's recommended defaults and make the CSR set the display to those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

Maybe it's in here, not sure: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=697413

It's in there... choose Gamma 0, which corresponds to the most natural gamma curve.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8900775

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11253 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj View Post

I've had my hls5087 for 4 months, had it calibrated and all appeared perfect until last week when i lost picture and sound. since I'm in a no repair zone customer service is sending me a replacement unit. I will be without Tv for close to a month and then will reconsider getting the new unit calibrated. BEWARE

Beware of bad posts with poor punctuation with little objective information? Beware of conspiracy theories? Beware that TV's sometimes go bad and companies do great things like replace them?

post #11254 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrings View Post

It's in there... choose Gamma 0, which corresponds to the most natural gamma curve.]

Yes, but it doesn't mention whether to change GAMMA, CINEMA GAMMA or both and what the difference between the two are.
post #11255 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperezmore View Post

Hello friends,

On black friday I was able to have a great deal @ Sears on the Sony KDS 60A2000. My new TV will arrive at the store to pick up on 12/15/2006.

Reading in this forum and others I find out that the SXRD line have many problems with green tint, optical blocks replacements, green blobs, etc

Many people are no happy with the sets and I was thinking that maybe I should let the Sony go and buy me a Samsung HL-S6187W instead.

Do this sets have a lot of problems? Do I have to worry about color issues on the Samsung?

I will like to have an honest opinion from the owners of the Samsung.

Thank you very much and forgive me for my bad english.

Regards,

Read through the TECH LINKS thread completely...

See my signature line for the BRIGHT RED hotlink.

Cheers,
Doc
(Former Sony KDS potential buyer who bought Samsung, and is extrememly happy)

post #11256 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 05:47 PM

Hi guys. New to forum. Pondering a HLS-5087. Can any owners give me some pros and cons on this unit? Im hooked up to satellite without HD for now.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
post #11257 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo460 View Post

Hi guys. New to forum. Pondering a HLS-5087. Can any owners give me some pros and cons on this unit? Im hooked up to satellite without HD for now.

Thank you in advance

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_S...-31783171.html

The review is the same model, only a 56". The 50" should be exactly the same, minus about 6".

Audio is average or even below average. If audio is your thing, I would go for a 5.1 surround.
post #11258 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo460 View Post

Thank you in advance

I got it 6 weeks ago and I love it.

The pro is the PQ, ease in setting up, and all that 1080p goodness (except that there is an overscan issue with 1080p over VGA (such as for HD-DVD's via 360 add-on)).

Of course PQ for SD sucks, but I don't really care about that. It's all about HD and when given a good source, you get a great picture (my examples of this are feeding it HD-DVD via the add on AND blu-ray from PS3 via HDMI).

The big con is the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. I was thinking about getting a video processor, but I've been told that since my TV (5087) lacks 1:1 pixel mapping, I might not get the results I should.

I'd love for someone to explain to me why a VP50 from DVDO or an Isync Pro from Key Digital would not help me improving PQ from non 1080p sources on the 5087 though.

Thanks!
post #11259 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

I got it 6 weeks ago and I love it.

The pro is the PQ, ease in setting up, and all that 1080p goodness (except that there is an overscan issue with 1080p over VGA (such as for HD-DVD's via 360 add-on)).

Of course PQ for SD sucks, but I don't really care about that. It's all about HD and when given a good source, you get a great picture (my examples of this are feeding it HD-DVD via the add on AND blu-ray from PS3 via HDMI).

The big con is the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. I was thinking about getting a video processor, but I've been told that since my TV (5087) lacks 1:1 pixel mapping, I might not get the results I should.

I'd love for someone to explain to me why a VP50 from DVDO or an Isync Pro from Key Digital would not help me improving PQ from non 1080p sources on the 5087 though.

Thanks!

Well it sounds like you sort of answered your question. It will help, but not as much as it could. No pixel mapping means the set will always be adding some image distortion due to scaling. One of the goals of using a VP is to replace the set's scaling engine with the more sophisticated engine in the VP. If you can't turn off scaling in your set your PQ on the XX87 will be slightly less than it could be on the XX88 which can disable scaling completely. That said scaling is only one of many things a VP can do for you. A top-end deinterlacer can help PQ a lot. The 1080i deinterlacer in the VP50 improved 1080i broadcast and HD-DVD significantly for me even at 720p. Sophisticated aspect ratio controls are quite nice and there are many other little features that make the whole VP package appealing.

I run a VP50 into my 720p Samsung and it makes a big difference. Everyone complains about SD on this thread, but between calibration and the VP50 my SD looks pretty good. Some channels are still mediocre, but others surprisingly good and SD-DVD via SDI to the VP50 gives HD broadcast a run for its money. If I turn off pixel mapping (a user menu option on the HLP BTW) I see a small difference in PQ. Its enough of a difference that I would absolutely hands down spend the extra cash for an XX88, but not enough of a difference that it renders the VP50 useless. It does get to a value proposition though. A VP is usually costly and if you can't take advantage of it to the very fullest is it worth it to you?

- Collin
post #11260 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n64ra View Post

I was at Fry's on Sunday when they were showing football on the HDTVs. I noticed on the HL-S5087W (and actually several models) that the video looked fuzzy blocky around helmets against the green field. Most other shots looked great. Is this caused by the coax cable being used in the display? Would component or HDMI cables make it look less blocky? Was it from the source? Or is this something that just happens on HDTVs?

You are seeing MPEG artifacts. The pixels and fuzz were in the original digital image coming off the satellite. The store's distribution system was making it worse: they use component video from distribution boxes, and those bright-dark transitions are tough on high-frequency analog signals going through wires with long runs.

I saw this effect on a Samsung at Circuit City watching a basketball game on ESPN-HD: the area where the score appears had "glittering acne." That is, there were bright and dark pixels inside and around the area where they put the score and game clock. A Mitsubishi sitting next to the Samsung did a much better job of smoothing that out, while it was very distracting on the Samsung. I was able to adjust the Samsung picture (turn off DNIe, reduce sharpness) to make it less noticeable, but then the rest of the picture didn't look very good. Then again, that was in the showroom.

The bad news: it's real and it's a fact of life. Some people "see" it more than others. The other bad news: maybe Samsung's image processing doesn't do as good a job of smoothing it out as other brands. The good news: you can use picture settings to soften it. The better news: the TV industry is going to get better over time at eliminating the effects of this with smarter MPEG encoding and smarter production techniques. (Like: don't use sharp-edged black letters on a white background.)

If a football game on ESPN-HD looks is worse than one on NBC-HD, you know you're looking at the industry's evolving understanding of the technology and how to optimize it. Same idea as the early days of black-and-white TV when some people didn't know better than to use bright lights in the frame, which would mess up the rest of the image and leave trails as the camera moved.
post #11261 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

It's in there... choose Gamma 0, which corresponds to the most natural gamma curve.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8900775

I can't find it. I would like to no how to navigate in the SM mode and where the gamma setting is. I just got my HS-L 5687W working and love it. I've already set it to Eliab's suggested settings and that was a big improvement. Next I want to set the gamma to 0 and then do Video Essentials. I am using comast and have their motorola box and it's connected to the TV via component cables. Could someoone please give me a detailed discription on how to set the gamma to 0. I really have searched but I quess that I'm just lousy at it. Again, I love this set!
post #11262 of 21399 Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 PM

hey my hls6187 arrives here on the 15th. Is PQ on SD really that bad? I have a SA8200 dvr and im going to be using component. Signal strength is perfect and everything is tight! What are some problems with this set? are there any pages on this thread anybody could reccomend? I tried reading most of them
post #11263 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I keep reading about the poor job samsung does of upscaling to 1080p. Is there a setting I can change in the menu that tells it NOT to upscale and just send the signal thru as 1080i? and will that improve the PQ of my HD channels that are saying 1080i on the comcast HD8300 box. I read someplace about this, but can no longer find it. I also read where I can make some changes to the comcast box...but I can't find these either.

Tim
post #11264 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is there a way to "auto scan" for a device when setting up the remote control? I was able to make it see my cable box, but not my HK DVD player. Do I really need to start entering the 3 digit codes one at a time from 0-141?

Tim
post #11265 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 04:36 AM

I bought the HL-S6187W back in August for $3,060 and I love it... However I was playing the 360 this morning and it shut off on me... Naturally I turned it back on thinking I hit the remote, and it shut off again... I unplugged it and let it set for a couple minutes, tried it again and the same thing... The 1st time it shut off the red and green lights were blinking, then the 2nd & 3rd time it was just the red light... I'm trying to search on Samsung's website about the issue but it is taking some time... Anyone know what may have caused this?...

Thanks... -Matt
post #11266 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought the HL-S6187W back in August for $3,060 and I love it... However I was playing the 360 this morning and it shut off on me... Naturally I turned it back on thinking I hit the remote, and it shut off again... I unplugged it and let it set for a couple minutes, tried it again and the same thing... The 1st time it shut off the red and green lights were blinking, then the 2nd & 3rd time it was just the red light... I'm trying to search on Samsung's website about the issue but it is taking some time... Anyone know what may have caused this?...

Thanks... -Matt

It's been known to do this due to heat issues at times. Did you try letting it sit for 30 minutes and then turn it on again?
post #11267 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 04:45 AM

Quote:

Beware of bad posts with poor punctuation with little objective information? ...

While we're in grammar-correction mode, shouldn't that be a period instead of a question mark?

Quote:

Beware of conspiracy theories? ...

Ditto.

Quote:

Beware that TV's sometimes go bad and companies do great things like replace them? ...

Re-ditto.

Warm Regards.

Armond
Central New Jersey USA
post #11268 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnick1976 View Post

It's been known to do this due to heat issues at times. Did you try letting it sit for 30 minutes and then turn it on again?

This can't be a heat issue because I only had the set on for about 5 minutes before it shut off... It's been off for an hour now so I'll give it a whirl...
post #11269 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven2099 View Post

This can't be a heat issue because I only had the set on for about 5 minutes before it shut off... It's been off for an hour now so I'll give it a whirl...

Try re-seating the cover for the bulb. It has a sensor that can falsly indicate the cover is open. This happened to me and removing and replacing the cover seemed to fix it.
post #11270 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 AM

Okay,

I just purchased my HL-S5687W last week and it was delivered and setup today. So far I love the PQ and sleekness of this unit. However, there is hi (high) pitch whine or noise emitting from the unit when its turned off. I noticed it right when I plugged it in for the first time before ever booting it up. I thought maybe once it heated up after being turned on it might go away, but it didn't. When the TV is on I can't hear it (even with the TV volume off). So, I think it is only emitting when its turned off. It sounds like a dog whistle (if you could imagine what that sounds like). My wife probably doesn't even notice it but I sure can every time I'm in the room. Any thoughts or ideas?

Before my purchase I have been actively reading this thread and remember seeing someone comment on a similar problem but I can no longer find that page in the post (since there are over 300 pages). So, I thought I'd just write here and see what I came up with from all your expertise. I'm gonna be pissed if I got a faulty set; considering I ordered it online.

Thoughts?
post #11271 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Power supply issue ... you're under warranty, so have them come and either a) replace the part, or b) replace the set.
post #11272 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks... -Matt

I'm having this issue as well. Just posted a help thread in the rear project forum asking for help on it, because so far I'd not seen anyone else with this issue but me. Mine has been going on for about 2 weeks now, and is likely not heat related. It's colder than ever in the house due to winter, and the heating system is barely able to keep the house at the set 75 degrees. If it was summer and heat was coming in through the wall behind the TV, I'd consider heat... But the walls are cold, as is the floor, and the circulating air is 'cool'.
post #11273 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 07:36 AM

I turned mine on for 2 hours and its now working fine... I'll check the case where the bulb is located and see if it seems loose...
post #11274 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I turned mine on for 2 hours and its now working fine... I'll check the case where the bulb is located and see if it seems loose...

It may not seem loose.....but reseat it anyway. The sensor switch in there might not be fully depressed and not evident from he outside of the case.
post #11275 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:

The wife said she had problem with it last week while I was overseas. I got back friday and didn't have any issues with it (I use it everyday) until yesterday and this morning.

Will see if I can't figure out how to reseat the bulb tho.
post #11276 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 08:02 AM

After reading this forum and reviewing the pros and cons from different owners, I decided to get the 5088 vs the SXRD. I just received it 5088 less than a week ago. It seems ok but not what I expected it to be. I got the panny upconvert dvd player yesterday and watched pirates of the carribean last night via HDMI. The PQ was decent but I couldn't tell a difference from 480p vs 720 or 1080i. Also, ESPN HD doesn't look the greatest (via directv). On basketball games as well as football games, there is alot of, I guess "fuzziness" or "graininess" around any solid image...kinda like what n64ra was describing in an earlier post. It is around the scores as well as the players. When I look at the Guide menu in directv, the smaller screen of the current channel that appears in the top right corner looks perfect. That's what HD should look like. But when I exit the menu and the full screen shows, it's looks bad. I have followed the recommended startup settings from Eliab until my DVE DVD arrives. I don't know what's causing the PQ to look like that.

Overall, the PQ from ESPN and the upconverted DVD doesn't look as "crisp" as it should and as I have seen from other sets. Does anyone think that there is something wrong that I'm doing or something wrong with my set? Also, the pincushioning on the 4:3 channels is very annoying.
post #11277 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Fry's may have the worst video distribution system in the country. I would say in the world, but I haven't been to the South Pole.

Hey, don't dismiss the South Pole, I hear they've got some great technology there. (Wouldn't it be tough to live there without it?)
post #11278 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaper20 View Post

hey my hls6187 arrives here on the 15th. Is PQ on SD really that bad? I have a SA8200 dvr and im going to be using component. Signal strength is perfect and everything is tight! What are some problems with this set? are there any pages on this thread anybody could reccomend? I tried reading most of them

I have seen a lot of opinions regarding SD quality. It seems to vary greatly from user to user.

I am very satisfied with my SD PQ. Granted it is not HD but it is very good. I suspect the SD quality depends on the source. In my case I have an S5687w with a Charter Cable Motorola DCT-6200 STB connecting to the TV with DVI-HDMI cable. I also have it hooked up via component. The component PQ is quite good but the HDMI is "slightly" better.

Note that in my setup the Motorola STB is set to do the up-convert all 480i signals to 1080i, not the TV. The SD PQ WITHOUT the Motorola STB was not as good. This may be the determining factor.

I will say that, even with this set-up, SD PQ varies from channel to channel and even on the same channel. Older TV programs have poorer PQ, as do badly made (low budget) commercials. The difference is notable.

However, SD PQ on many channels/shows is really very good. This is fortunate for me as I have about 90 SD channels and only 7-8 HD channels. Some are so good that viewers sometimes ask if they are HD (untrained eyes!).
post #11279 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Okay I just bought the HLS5087W TV. Im trying to find which cable I should use to connect my PC to the TV.

I have a X850XT PE video card with 2x DVI outputs and 1x Svideo output.

Im not sure really which cable to use, I was given a few suggestions

1) Use Svideo-Svideo cable
2) Use Svideo adaptor for YPrPb and connect to component.

What I was thinking was just buying a DVI-HDMI cable and connecting my PC to Computer that way, but I haven't gotten any feedback with that method.

Sorry if this was already asked but ~400 pages of posts is hard to go through
post #11280 of 21399 Old 12-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post

While we're in grammar-correction mode, shouldn't that be a period instead of a question mark?

No Kerry, Docrings' grammar was fine -- he was turning each of the poster's statements into part of a grander question. Maybe we should have a thread about grammar -- 400 pages isn't long enough and we need to branch into new areas. In fact, the mod might be given the power to give pass-fail grades here, and future posts only permitted to those who pass. Clearly, we all have too much free time whenever we finally turn off our beloved xx87W and 88Ws.
AND HEY, all you new guys who are suddenly attracted to these sets now that they've plunged in price and are looking for reviews but aren't willing to scroll back over these pages: Don't worry! They're fabulous! A few have defects but the warranty covers `em.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page