Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1171 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman View Post

Ideal-Lume lights are made specifically for this purpose:

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

Once I get the 720p to the bedroom, I will most likely use those behind the set...........overall I think it is a great solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone hooked up their TV to a PC through HDMI/DVI with 1080p output and confirmed 1:1 pixel mapping? One good way to check is to use a checkerboard pattern desktop. If you got 1:1 mapping, what was the overscan percentage?

Thanks.
post #1173 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 AM

Well, my 5687 is arriving Saturday morning..

Since I'm getting it on a weekend, it goes without saying that most of my household will have plenty of time to play with it. Are there any concerns that need to be followed during the break-in period? For example, would it be bad to run the TV for, say, 12 hours a day for a couple days right out of the box?

Anyone "go crazy" with their new set and have it fail it on them (I'm looking at you guys that have had bulb failures)? Anyone do the same thing and have their set never a miss a beat?
post #1174 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Big discussion in this other thread about Bias lighting.
post #1175 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Thanks for the webpage for Ideal-lume lights gadgtman. It just so happens we have a high end dealer in this area that sells them so I will be dropping in to see them shortly.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #1176 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brezz View Post

Ok, I have a connections question:

It is my understanding that this TV has 2 HDMI inputs in the back. One would be taken up by the cable box, the other by the DVD player. My question is, how would I hook up a PS3 to this TV if those are taken up? Would I have to use component cables? Is that how the 360 is hooked up at this point.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

In case you havnt already got an answer to this....Ditch the DVD player once your PS3 arrives. it will play DVD's and Blueray at 1080P. You can also get an HDMI switcher as well.
post #1177 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 05:23 PM

I am waiting for my HL-S5687 to arrive and just wondered if my Comcast HD DVR cable box has a HDMI port? I know it has DVI. If not, will I still be able to get 1080P? I am a novice at this , so forgive me if I have not posed the question right. What is the diff between DVI and HDMI? Also, would anyone reccommend the Samsung 850 DVD player? Thanks for your help. This is a BIG move up for me! Bob
post #1178 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
No DVR, DVD player etc outputs 1080P yet. The Blu Ray players will but they won'tr be released until late June. 1080i is the max right now. DVI and HDMI are basically the same. But HDMI can also carry digital audio. You can always get a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1179 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

No DVR, DVD player etc outputs 1080P yet.

There is one that up-scales 480i DVDs to 1080p. There is a link to the "NeoDigits HVD-2085 1080P DVD Player Review" posted on the AVS home page.
post #1180 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 06:22 PM

I am hopefully going to purchase a 6187 tomorrow, and have been reading through this thread the past 2 days, and I just have one question right now that I was hoping for help with. Throughout this thread there are mentions of extended warranty/service plans that people mentioned as being cheaper than the ones that big chains offer.

What are the best plans that you would recommend based on price service? The only answers that I have seen have said to check here or there, but no actual testimonies as to which ones you all have selected.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if this has been answered, but with so many posts it has been hard to read every post.
post #1181 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I bought the Omnimount Center Channel Speaker shelf. Click this:

http://ostg.pricegrabber.com/search_...sterid=5205248

My 5087 hasn't come yet, so I'm still waiting to use it, but others have purchased the same unit and they say it works great.

Bought one of these at BB figuring I could do some testing and return it if I didn't like it. I didn't even risk trying it on! The stand itself weighs about 10 lbs, plus in my case the center speaker is 20 lbs.

Now look at the back of the TV - the back end is pretty steep vertical, which means most of the weight on the back "legs" of the stands is transfered via the adhesive pads. Also, press lightly on that same back plastic portion of the TV - see how easy it bends? Then I read two reports on Amazon of the stand breaking its legs and sending cable boxes crashing down!

Back to BB with this contraption, and purchasing a shelf at Home Depot
post #1182 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecian View Post

I assume since I mentioned it you are asking me. Closed captioning and HDTV are mutually exclusive. Bandwidth issues I suppose. If you are hearing impaired and want HDTV then you are just SOL for CC.

I know the HDMI spec does not allow for close captioning. You need a cable box that "edits" the picture and overlays the CC before sending it to the TV. My FIOS (Motorola) box can do this and it looks fine on screen. But some idiotic s/w programmer decided that the box needs to be off to access the menu where CC can be turned on and off!
post #1183 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 06:47 PM

Am I the only one annoyed by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosn View Post

Has anyone found out how to deal with what I call pseudo-widescreen titles? These are, for instance, On-demand features that are "letterboxed" delivered in a 4:3 format with black bars top and bottom. Because the actual signal is 4:3, the result is a shrunk image with a 16:9 aspect ratio, but centered on the screen.

When feeding through an HDMI connection, the only zoom mode is the wide stretch mode, which seems to stretch the image fully in the horizontal direction, but not in the vertical direction. The result is fat squat people. I almost prefer watching it without the zoom, even if it gives me an effective TV size of 40" or so (on my 50" 5087). I can post picts if people are confused by my description.

post #1184 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bought one of these at BB figuring I could do some testing and return it if I didn't like it. I didn't even risk trying it on! The stand itself weighs about 10 lbs, plus in my case the center speaker is 20 lbs.

Now look at the back of the TV - the back end is pretty steep vertical, which means most of the weight on the back "legs" of the stands is transfered via the adhesive pads. Also, press lightly on that same back plastic portion of the TV - see how easy it bends? Then I read two reports on Amazon of the stand breaking its legs and sending cable boxes crashing down!

Back to BB with this contraption, and purchasing a shelf at Home Depot

Like I said, I haven't tried it myself, but others on this Forum that have said it works great. If they read this post, maybe they could weigh in and tell us what they are actually experiencing.

Regarding the two "negative" reviews you spoke of on Amazon.com, only one of them said his shelf came down, and he admitted that he had gone beyond the weight limit so he wasn't upset with Omnimount. He went on to say that he thought it would work fine with a smaller speaker. The other reviews were all very positive. Why is it that people are so willing to focus on the negative, especially when the negative reviews are in the small minority?

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #1185 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Am I the only one annoyed by this?

That does sound annoying, if I understand you correctly. You're saying it's on an SD channel, which gives bars on the left and right, and it's widescreen movie, which gives bars on the top and bottom too, correct?

Since I don't have my TV yet, or cable for that matter, I can only offer a suggestion -- why not connect your cable box via component video also, so when you're watching these on-demand movies, you just switch to that input (and use the other stretch modes that are unavailable on HDMI)?

Samsung PN59D7000 | Uverse VIP2250 | Samsung BDD5500 | Apple TV 2
post #1186 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarrett999 View Post

I am hopefully going to purchase a 6187 tomorrow, and have been reading through this thread the past 2 days, and I just have one question right now that I was hoping for help with. Throughout this thread there are mentions of extended warranty/service plans that people mentioned as being cheaper than the ones that big chains offer.

What are the best plans that you would recommend based on price service? The only answers that I have seen have said to check here or there, but no actual testimonies as to which ones you all have selected.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if this has been answered, but with so many posts it has been hard to read every post.

Try google for reviews of extended warranties. This forum has a deal with Mack 1 for their extended warranty, but they have gotten horrible reviews on the net. I am almost convinced that it makes sense to go with the dealer for the warranty, even if it cost more. At least you have someone to go scream at.
post #1187 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Thanks for the webpage for Ideal-lume lights gadgtman. It just so happens we have a high end dealer in this area that sells them so I will be dropping in to see them shortly.

You're welcome. Let us know what you think...I'll be ordering one once I decide between the 6188 and 6767.
post #1188 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 07:21 PM

hey,

I have a 5687 and am pretty happy with the picture except my tv is in a niche over the fireplace which affects the viewing angle some when im sitting (its not as bright ),The picture is breath taking when im standing upon hd sources. I currently have the back boosted up about a 1/2 inch, cant really tell if it helps, was just curious if any one has any other suggestions. I really dont want to go to a 720p plasma. Oh and if any one has calibrated there tv id like to know what your setting our so i can try them out to maximize my picture

Thanks
post #1189 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I never understood why people put their TVs on top of fireplaces, it looks so wrong there.

Can you put it *anywhere* else?
post #1190 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarrett999 View Post

I too have the same question. I am buying ( have ordered TVA powerbuy) a 6187 and would also like recommendations on service plans. I purchased one years ago for my Mitsu and never used it. I did somehow feel peaceful in knowing it was covered though.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #1191 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post

I too have the same question. I am buying ( have ordered TVA powerbuy) a 6187 and would also like recommendations on service plans. I purchased one years ago for my Mitsu and never used it. I did somehow feel peaceful in knowing it was covered though.

I purchased a 5-year extended plan with my 5087 from RepairMaster, which is offered through TVA. I only paid $195 (it's a little more than that if you buy a set over $2500), which covers everything but the bulb and it includes in-home service. I checked EWs in B&M stores and for the same coverage it cost more than twice as much.

I'm sure there are other good, inexpensive warranties out there, but it was convenient going through TVA and I also got 5% off of my whole purchase by financing it with a TVA credit card (which I plan to pay off the day my set arrives).

Good luck deciding on the right EW for you, and I hope you enjoy your 6187.

post #1192 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you do any reference checking on RepairMaster? I have only found one review but it was a negitive one. It seems like most of the cheaper plans have a lot of negitive feedback posted by people who didn't collect on problem sets. I had an extended warranty from Service Plan, Inc. on a 53" Sony XBR that I got at Tweeter and I used it several times, never had any problems with it. maybe you get what you pay for?
post #1193 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

Did you do any reference checking on RepairMaster? I have only found one review but it was a negitive one. It seems like most of the cheaper plans have a lot of negitive feedback posted by people who didn't collect on problem sets. I had an extended warranty from Service Plan, Inc. on a 53" Sony XBR that I got at Tweeter and I used it several times, never had any problems with it. maybe you get what you pay for?

I must confess that I did NOT do any reference checking on RepairMaster. I bought it based mainly on TVA's reputation, thinking that they wouldn't steer me wrong. Maybe I'm being a bit naive here, but I've been impressed with them in every other area, so I took the word of Tico and other sales reps there when they said that RepairMaster is a reputable company that stands behind their product.

post #1194 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

There is one that up-scales 480i DVDs to 1080p. There is a link to the "NeoDigits HVD-2085 1080P DVD Player Review" posted on the AVS home page.

But there isn't 1080P content. Well HD DVD is 1080P content but the players can only output 1080i. My Samsung TV converts to 1080P and I've had the capability to upconvert to 1080P for years with the PC but there is very little content at 1080P that can be played on a stand alone player and output at 1080P. I am done with DVDs myself. I will rarely watch DVDs anymore and I will NEVER buy a DVD again. After watching HD DVDs regular dvds don't even come close. Even when upconverting them to 1080P. There just is no comparison.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1195 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have performed a search on this question but came up empty. Or, rather, I came up too full. Tons of posts with the terms "inputs, "location," etc. Can anyone tell me if the input cluster on the back of these sets is on the left as you face the rear panel, on the right, or in the middle. Proper cable length is dependent upon this. Thanks.

Jack

post #1196 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

I have performed a search on this question but came up empty. Or, rather, I came up too full. Tons of posts with the terms "inputs, "location," etc. Can anyone tell me if the input cluster on the back of these sets is on the left as you face the rear panel, on the right, or in the middle. Proper cable length is dependent upon this. Thanks.

As you are facing the rear panel the inputs are on the left.

post #1197 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 PM

can anyone recomend a stand besides the Samsung one for the 56"?
post #1198 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijammer View Post

can anyone recomend a stand besides the Samsung one for the 56"?

I really like the z-line stands, check these two out:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Z-lin...oductDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Z-lin...oductDetail.do

Only reason I dont get one is cause of the depth, I dont have that much space to work with.
post #1199 of 21419 Old 05-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

I never understood why people put their TVs on top of fireplaces, it looks so wrong there.

Can you put it *anywhere* else?

I think it would really hurt my neck to have TV above fireplace.
post #1200 of 21419 Old 05-26-2006, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton911 View Post

I think it would really hurt my neck to have TV above fireplace.

.....and then what happens if you decide to use your fireplace. Can we say heat and smoke?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page