Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 438 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #13111 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have decided to go with the 5688 since it handles overscan better and supports the 1:1 pixel mapping, has that nice black bezel, and a few more perks.

Unfortunately, Amazon does not sell this unit direct (which sucks since their 5 year warranty is only like $200), so my only options are TV Authority and Vanns.

I have heard of users having issues with TVA. Has anyone heard bad things about Vanns? The price difference of the set and warranty is negligible so just want to make sure I choose the best Vendor.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13112 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpshook View Post

I have decided to go with the 5688 since it handles overscan better and supports the 1:1 pixel mapping, has that nice black bezel, and a few more perks.

Unfortunately, Amazon does not sell this unit direct (which sucks since their 5 year warranty is only like $200), so my only options are TV Authority and Vanns.

I have heard of users having issues with TVA. Has anyone heard bad things about Vanns? The price difference of the set and warranty is negligible so just want to make sure I choose the best Vendor.

Any thoughts?

Purchased my set at TVA, but probably would go with Vanns the next time around, as the customer service is very different between the two.
post #13113 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 AM

This may be a dumb question... but does the "Internal Mute" setting effect the optical out signal? I want to bring my Satellite and PS3 to the tv via HDMI and use the optical out to my receiver. Any problem with this?

Oh... it's the HL-S6187W.

Thanks
post #13114 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkramers View Post

This may be a dumb question... but does the "Internal Mute" setting effect the optical out signal? I want to bring my Satellite and PS3 to the tv via HDMI and use the optical out to my receiver. Any problem with this?

Thanks

No, but you might have to change settings on your STB or PS3.
post #13115 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Well, this is going to be a report on my experiences between receiving my 5688 on Nov. 15th, and today, including getting the "Tilt Problem" fixed and a calibration by Jeff Meier of Acucal.

When I got the set, I was really impressed with the picture, after going with the Eliab basic settings. I was especially impressed with the quality of my htpc with HDMI and overscan turned off, which was a huge improvement over component to my old 55" Mits CRT. However, it wasn't long until I noticed the tilt problem, mainly because of the windows task bar gives a perfect reference of a straight line. My entire screen was tilted down on the left side when facing the set. Maybe only a quarter inch or so, but once I saw it, I couldn't keep my eyes off of it.

I purchases the set from Tweeter, so I called them. During the first 60 days, or possibly the first year (not really sure), here in Dallas, Tweeter seems to want to use their own Service Technicians. So I set up an appointment with them. A nice enough guy came out, and unfortunately did not know about the adjustment outlined in the service manual involving loosening the three screws on the light engine and rotating to adjust the tilt. He recommended that we had to replace the light engine, and also offered "I can't guarantee that the new one will be any better, its just hit and miss with these things". He also much to my dismay, demonstrated that one could grab the whole tv by the upper front corners, and literally bend the case so the tilt changes from down on one side to down on the other side. At this point I started worrying in the back of my mind that perhaps I shouldn't have moved, unboxed, and installed the set all by myself . Although I was as careful as I could be, there were a couple of points where I had to lift one end up on the stand and then lift the other end, its darn near impossible for one person to gracefully lift the entire set correctly.

So at this point, I had already seen the "What's Inside" thread, and had found the tilt adjustment pictures. I PM'ed a couple of very useful members here who I will not name in the interest of privacy (but thanks a bunch, you know who you are!!), and verified that it in fact could be done, just a matter of how to convice the Tweeter tech that its possible. I was considering just doing it myself, but was reluctant to jeopardize my warranty.

In the end, I called Tweeter back and told them I had called Samsung, and got through to 2nd level support, and although they wouldn't give me the information, they said there was an adjustment for tilt documented in the service manual. I said "you have looked at the service manual, right?"

So then Tweeter calls me back in a couple of days and says my light engine has arrived, and the technician can be out Tuesday to replace it. I just kept quiet about that. When he shows up, he just goes ahead and says that he is going to do the adjustment, and even has the pages of the service manual printed out. So all in all, that went well, I think its ever so slightly tilted the opposite way, but its darn near perfect now. Only problem I had was after he left, and I went into the Service Manual to turn off overscan again, the entire picture was just slightly lower, and besides displaying the well known "junk lines" on SD Digital channels, also had a green line on top on all channels, even the HD ones. So luckily, I was in the service manual already, so I adjusted the Vertical Position, and now its perfect, even got rid of the SD static at the top, even with overscan off.

So now I'm happy, this was on January 4th. I had scheduled with Jeff Meier of Acucal to come out on January 9th. I have nothing but the highest praise for Jeff. As others have mentioned, he seems to use the most sophisticated equipment and custom software he developed. After using that to get everything very close, we spend another couple of hours viewing different material to get it fully tweaked in. Since I emphasized that I use the htpc for my main viewing, he spent a lot of time helping me with that, which really wasn't even his responsibility. He adjusted the HDMI from my TWC Cable DVR, the HDMI from my htpc, and the OTA/QAM tuner separately, and spent significant time on each one.

Jeff was very courteous, helpful, and professional. i believe he just enjoys seeing the end results (and has he put it, a poor quality picture makes him sick to his stomach) . My overall impressions probably mirror what everyone else says. Its kind of like that last 1% tweak, you can probably live with a user calibration, but once you've seen it really nailed, there is no going back. I have to say that what I really notice are the colors, especially skin tones. It makes me wonder how I ever watched it before. Everything is so lifelike. I couldn't be happier, and from the time I decided to get this set, I had already included the price of the calibration as a necessary expense. Now I am glad I did.
post #13116 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

No, but you might have to change settings on your STB or PS3.

understood... Thanks!
post #13117 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkramers View Post

Oh... it's the HL-S6187W.

Thanks

The "internal mute" ONLY mutes the internal speakers.

to each his own...
post #13118 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any thoughts?

I haven't checked prices(nor would I discuss them here), but I have seen only positive reports about Vanns and Crutchfield (where I purchased my set).

to each his own...
post #13119 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucka View Post

New guy here. I purchased a 5088w about a month and a half ago and all has been well until yesterday. I was watching a show last night and the thing turned off by its self 3 separate times. I was able to turn it right back on but ..... My wife told me it happened to her yesterday too. Has anyone else heard of this happening, should I contact Samsung? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, please point me in the right direction if it is.

What do the indicator lights say? How close is the back of the unit to all? It'll shut off as a safety precautionif there isn't enough ventilation to cool the lamp.

▪ Pike ▪

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own facts.
post #13120 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM

And does anyone know if the power button on the front is supposed to light up? (for the 5687W)

▪ Pike ▪

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own facts.
post #13121 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Where do you see a 5 year warranty for $200 at Amazon? I just looked it up and could only find a 4 year Warranty for $500.
post #13122 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPike View Post

And does anyone know if the power button on the front is supposed to light up? (for the 5687W)

Yeah, mine doesn't either... I think that's normal.
post #13123 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPike View Post

What do the indicator lights say? How close is the back of the unit to all? It'll shut off as a safety precautionif there isn't enough ventilation to cool the lamp.

Not sure what to look for concerning the indicator lights but I would be happy to check if someone could provide some instructions. The thing just turned off. There are several inches between the back of the set and the wall. I did consider this though and stuck my hand back there to see if it felt hot and I did not feel that it did. I was also trying to find something on the menu that would allow me to check the internal temp but couldn't find anything like that either. I think that there is probably enough ventilation based on the fact that it has operated without a hitch since the beginning of December but anything is possible.
post #13124 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Just received my new HL-S5687W this week from Best Buy and cannot get Closed Captioning to work. I have not subscribed to HD service yet and am using my SD DirecTivo to feed the TV over S-Video (the same configuration I used with my old Pioneer TV for years). I turn on CC on the TV, but nothing shows up on screen despite the option being turned on. Page 96 of the manual states CC should work on analog material over S-Video. Samsung Support said the same thing (after initially denying it would work on S-Video).

I use CC extensively when watching TV. I understand with HD things will work differently and the STB will be responsible for CC, but this is SD material and it appears it should work.

I searched the thread but could not find any specifics about whether the manual is, in fact, wrong (Samsung says it's not) or the set is not working properly.

Other issues I am having:

Extreme pincushioning with 4:3 material at the bottom of the screen (over 1/2" - see attached). Definitely more extreme at the bottom. Again, I could not get Samsung to tell me what amount is within spec. I realize some pincushioning is expected, but what I'm seeing seems more pronounced than what I see on my brother's 50" Sony LCD RP set.

Last issue is that the manual says if I set the clock on the TV, I should see the time when I press the Info button on the remote (page 41). I set the time, but only see the selected Source when I press the Info button. I also don't see the input signal resolution (480i, 480p, 1080i, etc.) like I see on a friend's Samsung direct view LCD, although I'm not sure the DLP sets show this information.

I called Samsung to have the set serviced, but they won't service it in house and will only pick it up and service it off site. Since I'm within the 30 Day swap/return period for Best Buy, I opted not to go this route.

Before I swap the set or return it, though, I'd like to get some feedback from others in the forum about whether CC over S-Video (on AV1) should work, the pincushioning and what's considered "normal", and the time not showing when pressing Info.

Thanks in advance.
LL
post #13125 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Ok... so I've confirmed it. With my Harmony 880, if I turn off the TV on Component 1 (which is how I've connected my cable box), and then turn it on again, I will briefly see the picture, and then it will go blank as it tries to go to Component 1 again. Anyone else run into this? It's extremely annoying, as I have to switch to another input, and then back to Component 1 again.

As a workaround, I'll probably try setting my "startup" time to 15 seconds or so (i had set it to 11) to see if that fixes the problem. This is a really strange problem that didn't seem to present itself the first few times I had set the startup to "11". I'll report back what happens with 15 seconds.
post #13126 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyou4real View Post

The HD DVD add-on is only needed if you want to watch HD DVDs. The base unit will still upscale DVDs to 1080p w/o the add-on over VGA. Provided your unit has the fall update, the Xbox 360 handles sources per output as indiated below:

VGA:

HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Component:

HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

I hooked up a Xbox 360 to my s5087w using a Denon 855 AVR for Component pass through and set the 360 video to 1080p. While playing Gears of War I noticed blue outlining around player models and buildings.

Once I changed the 360 video to either 720p or 1080i the blue outlining was gone. Any idea why this would be happening with 1080p set on the 360?
post #13127 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Hello, all!

I'm a brand-new owner of a 5087W - just set ut up last night - and have a curious question (actually, my family just bought THREE - uncle, mom, myself).

When viewing a conventional 4:3 format picture unstretched, there is a noticable inward "bowing" of the picture on each side, "kinda" like an out-of-whack keystone adjustment on a conventional set. I've found nothing in any of the setup, picture, or mode menus that would allow me to try to flatten this out. Is there anything in any of the service menus that might allow me to adjust this?

The bowing is essentially the same on each unit I set up last night.

Edit: Apologies for what I realized after-the-fact was more or less duplication about the bowing issue. I've since found that it deals more with the "sagging" of the physical screen rather than any of the set's electronics. Apologies for not having studied further

Thanks,
Dave
post #13128 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidheyg View Post

Just received my new HL-S5687W this week from Best Buy and cannot get Closed Captioning to work. I have not subscribed to HD service yet and am using my SD DirecTivo to feed the TV over S-Video (the same configuration I used with my old Pioneer TV for years). I turn on CC on the TV, but nothing shows up on screen despite the option being turned on. Page 96 of the manual states CC should work on analog material over S-Video. Samsung Support said the same thing (after initially denying it would work on S-Video).

I use CC extensively when watching TV. I understand with HD things will work differently and the STB will be responsible for CC, but this is SD material and it appears it should work.

I searched the thread but could not find any specifics about whether the manual is, in fact, wrong (Samsung says it's not) or the set is not working properly..

Closed caption is a function of the TV's tuner. If your using Component, S-Video or anything but RF in (Antennae/Cable) you won't get close caption. The DirecTivo will have to perform the CC or you'll get nothing.
post #13129 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post

Hello, all!

I'm a brand-new owner of a 5087W - just set ut up last night - and have a curious question (actually, my family just bought THREE - uncle, mom, myself).

When viewing a conventional 4:3 format picture unstretched, there is a noticable inward "bowing" of the picture on each side, "kinda" like an out-of-whack keystone adjustment on a conventional set. I've found nothing in any of the setup, picture, or mode menus that would allow me to try to flatten this out. Is there anything in any of the service menus that might allow me to adjust this?

The bowing is essentially the same on each unit I set up last night.

Thanks,
Dave

I also have this "bowing" on the sides of my 5687 when watching 4:3 material. Its most noticeable on the bottom of the screen, where it looks like its being stretched out on the bottom.

This is a known issue with our Sammy's. It has to due with Geometry since the projection distance is quite small (or something like that). Ive been browsing this thread for about a good month now and I haven't read of a way to fix this issue.
post #13130 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

Closed caption is a function of the TV's tuner. If your using Component, S-Video or anything but RF in (Antennae/Cable) you won't get close caption. The DirecTivo will have to perform the CC or you'll get nothing.

That might be the case with this Samsung, but it's not the case with "the TV's tuner" in other TVs, which have no trouble decoding the CC over SD analog signals. I think what you are referring to is for HD signals, not analog SD.

From the Owner's Manual pages 95 and 96:
"Tha Analog Caption function operates in either analog TV channel mode or external source mode... The Caption feature only works in TV, AV, and S-Video mode."

Every TV I've owned in the last 12 years can decode the CC coming off the S-Video from DirecTV and Comcast cable. The SD DirecTivos do not have a CC feature, as this has always been handled on the TV itself.

As I mentioned, HD signals do require the STB decode the CC and overlay on the HD signal.

I'm not disputing that the Samsung might not do what I want, but this would imply the manual is incorrect and Samsung Support is also mistaken.

Does anyone have a SD signal running to the TV over S-Video they can test this with on a SD signal? I asked Best Buy if they could hook up a SD source on a floor model to test, but they said it was not possible.

I might keep the TV regardless (picture is quite good otherwise), but I would like some definitive answers about the lack of support on this feature. Samsung Support originally said I would have to use a Composite cable to get CC, but after putting me on hold and doing some "checking" they told me S-Video should work as well. I'm sure the truth is in here somewhere; just not sure where. Thanks,
post #13131 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 11:54 AM

Amazon 4-year warranty
amazon [dot] com/4-Year-Service-Plan-Televisions-999-99/dp/B000CO77TQ/ref=acc_glance_ce_sp_2_title/002-9207834-6002418

Unfortunately, it does not cover ANY bulb replacement, but it does cover surge and lightning. Seems like the Vanns warranty is best value and includes bulb replacement as well.

Since I have learned it is not proper to post pricing here, you can check the URL and see price for yourself.

CAN anyone please verify if 1:1 matching is supported in 5687? I'm still leaning towards the 88 for maximum HTPC compatibility. It just seems as well that since the 88 came out later than the 87, they may have fixed other software/hardward issues as well.
post #13132 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 11:56 AM

help! I'm not sure where this goes, so I'll try here.

So last night I visited my parents' home while they were getting Verizon FIOS installed. The technician was playing with the STB settings when I arrived, and could not get a clear picture on the stations. Nowhere near as good as the comcast picture.

Here's what we have.

Motorola QIP-6200 Set top Box
Samsung HL-S5687W with 1080p capability
HDMI cable purchased from monoprice

First question. Since the Motorola STB isn't capable of 1080p, will the Samsung be able to automatically detect the 1080i, and alter the display appropriately? I'm assuming it would. If not, where are the settings on the TV to change that?

Second. When the Verizon tech was going through the resolutions on the STB, 1080i displayed the worst picture, 720p was almost as bad, and 480p was barely acceptable. I'm talking blurry picture to the point where faces are hardly recognizable, and words are barely readable on the screen. The tech also tried component cables, and even hooking a coax directly into the TV. Same results all around. When he departed, he put the STB on 480p with the hdmi cable hooked up.

Third. To the owners of Samsung's HL-S5687, are there any custom settings you recommend on the TV that would rectify the situation? I think most of our settings are default. Is there any color modifications, or other settings within the TV that should be looked at?

Hopefully I've provided enough information to troubleshoot this. Any help will be greatly appreciated
post #13133 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 12:08 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidheyg View Post

That might be the case with this Samsung, but it's not the case with "the TV's tuner" in other TVs, which have no trouble decoding the CC over SD analog signals. I think what you are referring to is for HD signals, not analog SD.

From the Owner's Manual pages 95 and 96:
"Tha Analog Caption function operates in either analog TV channel mode or external source mode... The Caption feature only works in TV, AV, and S-Video mode."

Every TV I've owned in the last 12 years can decode the CC coming off the S-Video from DirecTV and Comcast cable. The SD DirecTivos do not have a CC feature, as this has always been handled on the TV itself.

As I mentioned, HD signals do require the STB decode the CC and overlay on the HD signal.

I'm not disputing that the Samsung might not do what I want, but this would imply the manual is incorrect and Samsung Support is also mistaken.

Does anyone have a SD signal running to the TV over S-Video they can test this with on a SD signal? I asked Best Buy if they could hook up a SD source on a floor model to test, but they said it was not possible.

I might keep the TV regardless (picture is quite good otherwise), but I would like some definitive answers about the lack of support on this feature. Samsung Support originally said I would have to use a Composite cable to get CC, but after putting me on hold and doing some "checking" they told me S-Video should work as well. I'm sure the truth is in here somewhere; just not sure where. Thanks,

Check out these two links:
http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/...ew.jsp?isARS=Y
http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/...ew.jsp?isARS=Y
These links don't seem to work when I paste them. Go to Samsungs website and under support look for the FAQs. Then do a search for "closed caption".
post #13134 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM

Well I just had samsung out to replace the panel on the tv where all the inputs come in because of problems using the OTA tuner and cable tuner....... Just when the tech was almost done, and everything was appearing good an aging message appeared on the screen. A message I have seen before from Eliab's calibration and it always only took a button hit to make it go away.

The problem, this techs fix was to do a service menu reset to clear this message... I asked him before doing this if this would ruin my calibration and without skipping a beat he said no, all calibration type settings like that would be saved to the light engine board not the TV and this won't affect a thing with your calibration.... 10 seconds later my calibrated TV is now a factory TV...

I have to say I can't believe this happened. I even tried preventing it by asking the tech but I guess it is my fault in having faith in the ability of a repair tech. If he would have said yes I would have found a work around for the aging message(again something I have seen many times before) or just said screw it, I will deal with a broken tuner if it means my TV remains calibrated..

I Have called the repair company and am awaiting a call back from their manager.

-A very angry, Phatty
post #13135 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty View Post

-A very angry, Phatty

Did you record your SM settings after you had the set calibrated?
post #13136 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxrob View Post

First question. Since the Motorola STB isn't capable of 1080p, will the Samsung be able to automatically detect the 1080i, and alter the display appropriately?

Yes.

Quote:

Hopefully I've provided enough information to troubleshoot this. Any help will be greatly appreciated

It's Vorizon's problem based on what you have written.

You might check the STB to be sure the tech configured it to work with a wide (16x9) screen.

Did your parents have Comcast before going to Vorizon? If they can't fix the problem it might be time to go back to Comcast.

How does your parent's TV look showing good PQ DVDs?

How is the TV configured? Have you checked Eliab's starting settings?

Eliab's Starting Settings and DVE Tutorial
post #13137 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Question for thoe of you with an XBox 360 - I've currently got the component cables that I will use to hook it up. Am I really going to see any better of a picture getting the VGA cable? What are the advantages? Is it simply 'better on paper' but I'll hardly be able to tell once playing?

Thanks all!! I'm super excited about gettting my new 5687 up and running.....
post #13138 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Sounds crazy huh? But its true. It all started when i went to the movies with my wife. While watching Bobby at the local megaplex, I noticed SSE or some variation of it on the movie screen. I assume that it was the screen texture sparkling a bit with very bright scenes. Anyway, the tiny bit that I see at home, and I mean tiny, actually looks a lot like what it looked like at the theater. So now everytime I see it, I kinda smile. Even my wife commented on how its kinda like being at the movies!
Might be another way to think about it for all of you who are trying to get rid of it or trying to just "focus on what youre watching".

Just my .02
post #13139 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Yes.

It's Vorizon's problem based on what you have written.

You might check the STB to be sure the tech configured it to work with a wide (16x9) screen.

Did your parents have Comcast before going to Vorizon? If they can't fix the problem it might be time to go back to Comcast.

How does your parent's TV look showing good PQ DVDs?

How is the TV configured? Have you checked Eliab's starting settings?

Eliab's Starting Settings and DVE Tutorial

I'm pretty sure the STB is set to 16:9. My parents had Comcast first. Picture quality with DVD's is crystal clear and amazing.

Thanks for Eliab's starting settings. I will now look at that.
post #13140 of 21398 Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxrob View Post

Thanks for Eliab's starting settings. I will now look at that.

Start with Vorizon.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page