Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 498 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #14911 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot, I am fairly new to this TV and CableCards, hadn't seen that in the menu.

dja2k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14912 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwpo View Post

I just purchased a HLS-5087W from BB last week. When watching HD material (OTA and DTV) and using Philips upconvert DVD player I see what appears to be white pixels on different parts of the screen. These pixels seem to 'flash' on the screen. Some HD channels are worse then others. Also on my upconvert DVD player when setting it to 720p these pixels (or sparkles as my wife calls them) seem to go away. I've been going through these posts but haven't read anything about this. My first thought was that it was my HR20 DTV box...but like I said it does this on several inputs.

I thought I'd get some input before I took TV back to BB.

Thanks in advance.

I discovered what my problem is called. SSE or Silk Screen Effect. Caused by the type of screens used in RPTV. I tried to adjust my brightness/contrast to no avail. SSE was everywhere. Set went back to BB today for a Panny Plasma. Now I have to search that thread for burn in issues I suppose.
post #14913 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:

I discovered what my problem is called. SSE or Silk Screen Effect. Caused by the type of screens used in RPTV. I tried to adjust my brightness/contrast to no avail. SSE was everywhere. Set went back to BB today for a Panny Plasma. Now I have to search that thread for burn in issues I suppose.

It's funny... I don't see this at all. Is this another thing, like the Rainbow Effect, that only certain people are susceptible to?
post #14914 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Boy, was I way off on helping you..........
post #14915 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 03:46 PM

Hmm I called the cable company and gave them the info and said they would call me back to tell me when its activated, but the "updating channel list" thing on the corner never disapeared, what should I do if it doesn't disappear, should I hit reset on the cablecard or what? (would I have to call in again)

dja2k
post #14916 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshrac55 View Post

It's funny... I don't see this at all. Is this another thing, like the Rainbow Effect, that only certain people are susceptible to?

If you don't see it, don't look for it. It can be annoying once you realize what it is. It's also something that is harder to see from further away from the TV.
post #14917 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 03:47 PM

I recently noticed that Digital NR is grayed out in the picture settings. Any clue what caused this?
post #14918 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Divine View Post

I recently noticed that Digital NR is grayed out in the picture settings. Any clue what caused this?

On some inputs, this option will grey out if you *do* have a signal. Turn off the device and you should be able to adjust the setting.
post #14919 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone heard from bferr1 on his situation? Last I heard his TV was a brick (broke).
post #14920 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshaker View Post

Pincushioning is always present in any rear-projected display.. doesn't matter how many times you swap for a new one.. or with another manufacturer.

Not necessarily. I've yet to see a Sony A2000 or XBR2 with any evident pincushioning. ... there does seem to be a fairly wide variance in the degree of pincushioning on the Samsungs.
post #14921 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
JWK

I have a 5087. It has what I think is very noticeable pincushioning (I plan on calling service at some point in the future). Anyway, I was in CC this weekend and looked very closely at an A2000. The pincushioning is there - not very noticeable, but like I have seen in other posts, RPTV's have pincushioning.....
post #14922 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkay View Post

If you don't see it, don't look for it. It can be annoying once you realize what it is. It's also something that is harder to see from further away from the TV.

LOL... "Don't think of an elephant." I, of course, look for things when I hear about them... I'll try my best, but even in the past I've tried to sort of see both this and the rainbow effect, and have failed to see it. The managed to see the Rainbow only once, in a Pixar "THX Optimizer" menu, the white text on black would cause the rainbow effect when I rolled my eyes across the screen. For some reason, even when I've looked for it in other movie credits, I don't see it... Lucky me.
post #14923 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, before I went to the Samsung I had a Sony XBR1. It had pincushioning also. One thing I noticed is that when you turn overscan off...it makes the pincushioning more pronounced. It doesn't bother me though. I got my 2nd 5688 exchanged for a 6188 at no extra cost but even that one has two items I'll be getting checked out next week. The fan is a bit noisier than the 5688 and sounds like the bearing may be loose. They should be able to fix that quick. I also have the 1 - 2 degree tilt to the left that others have mentioned. The only time I can really tell is when I have the menu on and the little "contrast, brightness, etc." bar spanning the very bottom. you can tell it there is about 1/4" more space or so on the right than the left. hope he can fix this because the 6188 doesn't suffer from the 5688s issues...screen spots and with overscan off i now don't see the "white" flicker at the top of 4:3 broadcasts.
post #14924 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Well, Eliab calibrated my set today and the results are awesome!

The snow was coming down and the roads were freezing today, with a wind chill of -20. Nevertheless, Eliab made the road trip through Kentucky to perform a calibration of my 3 month old HLS5687. Only one word can describe the results: BEAUTIFUL! After skimming through a few DVD's over the past few hours, I can already see a huge difference in picture quality.

All of the colors are more vibrant and true to life. Blacks are truly black, and skin tones look much more realistic than before. Everything in the picture just seems "deeper" than it did before the calibration, and this is a very good thing!

Unfortunately I only have basic cable service, and no HD content was being broadcast when Eliab was here. But tonight after watching a few shows that were broadcast in HD, and all I can say is W-O-W! There really is a world of difference in picture quality. And I can safely say that Eliab is NOT exaggerating when he says these Samsung DLP's can be made to look like $15,000+ displays!

The results are beautiful, and Eliab was very cool during the entire process. I left him alone for a few hours while he worked his magic on the set. When I did have questions, he was very happy to show me what he was doing and explain things in detail. I can tell he is enthusiastic about his job and really enjoys helping people get the most out of their home entertainment systems. Eliab was very professional and courteous during the entire visit. He even brought me a copy of the local morning paper since I was his first customer of the day...Thanks Eliab!

Overall I'm very happy with the results, and can HIGHLY RECOMMEND both Eliab and Avical for anyone looking to get the most out of their HDTVs.
post #14925 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Did I just see a post about an Eliab calibration? Or am I going nuts....I just read the whole thing and now it is gone. it was a GREAT review*LOL*...just wanted to thank the OP since I have my deposit in and am just waiting for a date for Eliab to come work his magic on my set.

Tim
post #14926 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

Well, Eliab calibrated my set today and the results are awesome!

The snow was coming down and the roads were freezing today, with a wind chill of -20. Nevertheless, Eliab made the road trip through Kentucky to perform a calibration of my 3 month old HLS5687. Only one word can describe the results: BEAUTIFUL! After skimming through a few DVD's over the past few hours, I can already see a huge difference in picture quality.

All of the colors are more vibrant and true to life. Blacks are truly black, and skin tones look much more realistic than before. Everything in the picture just seems "deeper" than it did before the calibration, and this is a very good thing!

Unfortunately I only have basic cable service, and no HD content was being broadcast when Eliab was here. But tonight after watching a few shows that were broadcast in HD, and all I can say is W-O-W! There really is a world of difference in picture quality. And I can safely say that Eliab is NOT exaggerating when he says these Samsung DLP's can be made to look like $15,000+ displays!

The results are beautiful, and Eliab was very cool during the entire process. I left him alone for a few hours while he worked his magic on the set. When I did have questions, he was very happy to show me what he was doing and explain things in detail. I can tell he is enthusiastic about his job and really enjoys helping people get the most out of their home entertainment systems. Eliab was very professional and courteous during the entire visit. He even brought me a copy of the local morning paper since I was his first customer of the day...Thanks Eliab!

Overall I'm very happy with the results, and can HIGHLY RECOMMEND both Eliab and Avical for anyone looking to get the most out of their HDTVs.

Now its back ...Great to hear such great results....did he have any trouble calibrating during the day? I requested a daytime slot so as to keep the wife and kids out of the house during...but I thought I read someplace that night time was better for calibration.

Tim
post #14927 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post

Yes, before I went to the Samsung I had a Sony XBR1. It had pincushioning also. One thing I noticed is that when you turn overscan off...

you can turn overscanning off? the thing making me wait to buy a XBR2 is the overscan, due to my heavy PC usage. but you can turn it off? does it completely eliminate it? if not, how close does it get? I don't understand why anyone would want overscan. You're missing part of the picture! Why don't they just calibrate the optics to perfectly (or nearly) fit the screen?

Anyway, I have heard that the Samsung DLPs have the least overscan (1-3%); therefore I am compromising by waiting until March or April when the LED driven DLPs are supposed to be available (slimmer too, like 13" deep!). I'll probably be paying $3500 vs $2700 for a 61" LED DLP vs a 60" XBR2 (or is it 65?), but the overscan is a dealbreaker for gamers, and lowering the resolution with Powerstrip is unacceptable. LCD, unfortunately, is too expensive for a quality picture (and summer is the earliest before decent LCDs should be available). If you can eliminate the overscan in a menu, however, I'll be a customer tomorrow! Please let me know!!
post #14928 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Well, my TV is in a bright sunny room, but it wasn't a problem because I had an extra bedsheet handy

Eliab brought a black tarp as well, and we basically pinned both of them up above the windows with some tiny tacks to block most of the sunlight. He told me the room doesn't need to be pitch black for the calibration anyway. So it wasn't a problem at all.

For those of you who go with Eliab, you won't regret it. Standard definition looks good...but once you see the high def picture after calibration, your jaw will literally hit the floor. His services are worth every penny.
post #14929 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

you can turn overscanning off? the thing making me wait to buy a XBR2 is the overscan, due to my heavy PC usage. but you can turn it off? does it completely eliminate it? if not, how close does it get? I don't understand why anyone would want overscan. You're missing part of the picture! Why don't they just calibrate the optics to perfectly (or nearly) fit the screen?

Anyway, I have heard that the Samsung DLPs have the least overscan (1-3%); therefore I am compromising by waiting until March or April when the LED driven DLPs are supposed to be available (slimmer too, like 13" deep!). I'll probably be paying $3500 vs $2700 for a 61" LED DLP vs a 60" XBR2 (or is it 65?), but the overscan is a dealbreaker for gamers, and lowering the resolution with Powerstrip is unacceptable. LCD, unfortunately, is too expensive for a quality picture (and summer is the earliest before decent LCDs should be available). If you can eliminate the overscan in a menu, however, I'll be a customer tomorrow! Please let me know!!

If you have a set with a firmware date of December 2006, you can turn off overscan in the service menu. I don't think there's a foolproof way of determining your firmware version without actually turning the TV on, but chances are good that if you have a set with a build date of December '06 or later, you also have the new firmware.

If it's an important concern to you, then you may want to limit your purchase to a store that will allow you to select a set with a build date of your choice.
post #14930 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funny guy View Post

With my experience and as several others have reported here it appears these Sammys have a pretty good upconverting chip. Many report a better picture with a 480p output to the TV than the upconverting 720p or 1080i output. I noticed more artifacts from a Sony and Sammy upconverting dvd player outputing above 480p. The hdmi connection makes a better improvement then the upconvert in the dvd player IMHO.

Are you saying I should set my Comcast HD DVR box to output 480p and also set my Sony upconverting DVD player to output 480p for the best picture with my HL-S5087W?

I just tried to set my cable box to 480p but the info button on my sammy says my HDMI source is 720p.

But still, am I really going to get the best picture by letting the tv do all the upconverting and scalling? How can the tv double the resolution to 1920 x 1080i without distorting something?
post #14931 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2k View Post

Do most Samsung TV's have that noise you guys are mentioning because mine does a noise sometimes, but its the same noise if I touch or push the TV in and out of the stand, seems like its the casing doing the noise.

dja2k

My HL-S5087W is whisper quiet. I have to stick my head near the back to hear the fan.
post #14932 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudson666 View Post

Are you saying I should set my Comcast HD DVR box to output 480p and also set my Sony upconverting DVD player to output 480p for the best picture with my HL-S5087W?

I just tried to set my cable box to 480p but the info button on my sammy says my HDMI source is 720p.

But still, am I really going to get the best picture by letting the tv do all the upconverting and scalling? How can the tv double the resolution to 1920 x 1080i without distorting something?

Don't believe it. I have my Comcast HD DVR box and Sony upconverting DVD player both set to 1080i and the results are just great. I do not buy at all that the TV's upconverting is better than the DVD player. I've read postings before in the Sony S75 DVD forum of people doing tests showing the TV upconverting isn't as good as the DVD upconverting. Based on the posts I read, I followed the rule to have both sources already at 1080 before input to the TV.
post #14933 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

My HL-S5087W is whisper quiet. I have to stick my head near the back to hear the fan.

Same here with my 6187.
post #14934 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:

It is really a matter of experimentation, but many report having the set upscale has been the best picture quality. I had better results with 480p on all dvd players I tested. Artifacts appeared when feeding higher resolutions.

These sets upscale everything to 1080p, native resolution. These sets have a good scaler compared to most STB and dvd players.

It also depends on the content. If you are receiving 1080i content to a STB it should not be set to output 480p. Because dvd's are 480i content, bad upscaling is more noticeable.
post #14935 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawrence View Post

The December an later builds of the XX87 series have shown to retain overscan off.

All XX88 models retain overscan off regardless of build date.

All models have the overscan setting in the service menu only, not in the user menu.
post #14936 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Whoops...a little misunderstanding in the way i wrote. no, i didn't turn the overscan off on the sony. it was the samsung. samsung actually has some of the highest overscan rates, which is why people turn it off. the sony was less, but with a samsung overscan turned off, it's better than the sony. i posted somewhere on here a LONG time ago that i went to my local navy base exchange and looked at overscan. i think panasonic had like the least overscan. mitsubishi, jvc, and sony were similar, and samsung had the most. it's been awhile so you may look back there. if you can wait, you should try the new sammy...i wasn't all that impressed with the sony's. yes, they're great pictures, but not any better than the samsung imo. i also had the green blob on mine which is why i took it back. take a look at the pics of the Samsung HLTs. they look much better than the HLS-5679. TVs are just like computers. Eventually you have to jump in and buy something, but then there's always something better RIGHT around the corner.

P.S. Has anyone forked out the money for the new LG BluRay/HDDVD Player? They're available in some stores now. Just curious if it's all hype, or how good they really are. Too expensive for me right now, but I'd keep my eyes open if they get good reviews.

Quote:

post #14937 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the responses. Can you explain something to me though -- I have read that when you disable overscanning, you lose 1:1 pixel mapping. To me that means, you have a source image and on the DLP chip, the image appears smaller than it's maximum 1920x1080 mirror array. Is that true? I imagine it is like taking a 1920x1080 image in paint and using the stretching command to change it to 1820x1015.. ? But you say it looks better
post #14938 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Liked: 11
I just updated my HLS-5687's firmware and it worked and everything and even restarted itself. But when I turned it off and then tried to turn it on i got no picture. The lamp light blinks like it's suppose to then i get no picture! after about 5min it turns off! Im upset that this update bricked my TV. I don't recommend it to anyone that doesn't have warranty.
post #14939 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

Thanks for the responses. Can you explain something to me though -- I have read that when you disable overscanning, you lose 1:1 pixel mapping.

It's the other way around. When you turn "overscan" OFF in the SM of some HLS Samsung DLP RPTV sets you are in fact disabling the up-scaling that was used to add about three percent more overscan.

With overscan OFF the amount of overscan (all TV sets have overscan) is about 2%. The pixel mapping is 1:1 but the projector is placed just far enough from the screen so that 2% of the pixels are lost behind the bezel. The only way you can see all 1920x1080 pixels would be to move the light engine mount a little closer to the screen.
post #14940 of 21419 Old 02-06-2007, 10:13 PM

once again my problem has returned....
just playing my wii...about 5-10 minutes into turning on TV...the TV shuts itself off
Two lights, a standby/temp (red) and lamp (green, furthest to the right), begin to blink. This hasn't been the first time this has happened....some people say overheating, others say something else. I'm just living in a normal townhouse /w a big-ass bush stand w/ at least 4 inches worth of space behind it. Not to mention its only 68 degrees in my house.

Please someone help me...i don't want to brick the TV because I just bought it...but I do have a warantee and a service plan if necessary

thanks!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page