Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 561 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #16801 of 21480 Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I have had my 6187w for less than three months now and it took a crap on me today. Woke up and turned the tv on and after a few seconds it went back off with the three blinking lights on the front. New pretty quickly that the lamp is probaly bad. Called Samsung up and they said it would be 14 days before they make contact with a service company bacause I dont have on within 75 miles. So now even when they finally do get ahold of a company there is no telling how long it will be to get here or even order the parts. I am not impressed with Samsung warranty so far. Anyone had this happen to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16802 of 21480 Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Exactly why I'm going with my Tweeter extended warranty for all repairs and not Samsung.
post #16803 of 21480 Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM

nm, wrong thread

Samsung HL-S5687W 56" 1080p DLP HDTV
Oppo DV-981HD Universal DVD Player with HDMI, 1080p Up-Converting, DivX & SACD
Kenwood HTB-505 - 600 Watts 6.1 Channel Home Theater Audio System

post #16804 of 21480 Old 03-15-2007, 08:39 PM

I posted the following a while ago"

"Originally Posted by ammamm
I have a Samsung HLS5687W, one month ago it started shutting itself down. (snip) As the technician was changing the light engine, I noticed that the label on it was for 61" TV, the tech. said all the HLS models use the same light engine. Can someone tell me if this is acceptable."

Well since the picture quality was not as good as before, after getting the model number for the correct light engine from Pinecrest "BP96-01640B", I contacted Samsung and complained. At first they did not want to accept that they installed the light engine for 61" TV however they accepted to come a look at the TV again. To make the long story short, they finally changed the light engine again with a refurbished one. The problem is that still the model number for the second light engine does not match with what I expected. The new light engine model number is BP91-02061B. Does anyone know what TV model this light engine belong to??

Thanks for advance for your help.

amm
post #16805 of 21480 Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 PM

So I've been playing around with some settings in the Service Menu (after I check here of course) and I've come to the conclusion that I really need to learn the way to change the Sharpness, Color, and Tint settings when using VGA.

My Xbox 360 with the VGA cable and HD-DVD player looks wonderful but things can always be better. I would also like to learn how to disable DNR when using VGA.

I watched the HD-DVD version of The Departed today and with some of the adjustments I've made the picture looks wonderful. However, certain colors seem to have more noise in them than others. Like the police offers uniform had some noise to it. I guess I'll just have to tweak the settings some more. I only have the THX optimizer so I really need to invest in another calibrating DVD. Not only that, it's hard to tell whether the issue with certain things is with the TV or the movie.
post #16806 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs600cubed View Post

Can someone please post pics of the "DDP3021", and all 3 of the SPD62 (IPC, SCALER, and PE) pages of their service menu for a post 12/06 5087w firmware? Something seems off on my set and blacks seem crushed and colors off and I'd like to see if their is a setting not right. I was in to simply turn off overscan and check gamma but maybe I did hit something else. I would be forever grateful!

Besides pics, if anyone can write the settings down and pm me I'm very curious to see what doesnt match up. The set just doesnt look nearly as good as before and SD if nearly unwatchable and some HD looks like SD.

XBL: xxx shiv xxx
PSN: xx_shiv_xx
post #16807 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsims View Post

Well I have had my 6187w for less than three months now and it took a crap on me today. Woke up and turned the tv on and after a few seconds it went back off with the three blinking lights on the front. New pretty quickly that the lamp is probaly bad. Called Samsung up and they said it would be 14 days before they make contact with a service company bacause I dont have on within 75 miles. So now even when they finally do get ahold of a company there is no telling how long it will be to get here or even order the parts. I am not impressed with Samsung warranty so far. Anyone had this happen to them?

Not trying to rub it in ur face, but I had a great experience with their customer service, and Samsung seems to want their customer service to be one of their better qualities. I bought the 6187 from Amazon in November and right away noticed that there was a small 2 inch long shadow in the top center of the display. Not extremely noticeable, but bugged the sh*t out of me since I just paid $2000 for it. Anyways, the guy came out within a week, took him about 2 hours to figure out what it was, and was on his way. Not an engine problem like he suspected, but the actual screen at the top was pinched somehow during the manufacturing process. Probably just got put together to fast. I think that their customer service will get better once they have more techs available. The guy that came out, was the only certified Samsung tech for the whole Jacksonville, Fl area, btw, Jacksonville is the largest city area wise. He said that they are hiring more techs all of the time. I am not sure where you live, but probably wont be long before you have someone certified close by when you have an issue with your TV. Good luck.
post #16808 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

1) It depends of a height of your watching position. Watching experience of DLPs greatly depends of your view angle, and they are especially sensitive to your vertical position. 22" sounds a little too high. 15" - 17" would be more in order, but you'll never know until you try.
2) Yes, it's updated since that time, newer is better.
3) Upconversion and HDMI vs. component are two highly debatable issues. I believe these Samsungs are doing excellent job themselves and, in most cases, any gains are very marginal. Don't rush to buy a new DVD player, but you can always try a new one and decide for yourself is it worth it or not.

Thanks for the advice. So you think a 22" stand might be a big high for the 6187, is there another mostly enclosed stand you can recommend that is a bit shorter, and can still house my components and center channel?

And I found the updated version of Video Essentials, is this what you were referring to? Is DVE as easy to use as Avia is/was?
post #16809 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 06:00 AM

I have a hls6188 and have seen reflections of light within the tv. The room is totally dark, not a light on. If the screen is mostly dark and a candle, fire, headlight, or any other light colored object goes across the screen there will be a reflection somewhere else on the screen of it. Is this something that can be fixed.
Thank You
post #16810 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 AM

I have a situation where I am moving to a 2 bedroom house soon because I am going to be a dad in October. I cant wait, but we looked around at places and we found a nice place but the issue is there is a place where the tv goes into the wall and my current dlp is too wide and its a 52inch 720p toshiba 52hm95. I am looking around for a new dlp now and that will fit into the built in tv stand inside the wall. Now here is the issue. the tv width has to be under 47 inches so I found 2 dlp models that will do it. the Samsung 50 dlp 1080p HL-S5087 or the new 50inch Sony 1080p tv KDS50A2020. SO this baby has been a blessing before it is already born! my wife agrees she like this place and I am in charge of buying a new TV and selling my current model. I cant wait to go to 1080p so I can watch my blu ray movies on my ps3 in 1080p and play my xbox360 in 1080p and wii and my Toshiba HDDVD player.
I am tossed up in the air which way I should go, Sony or Samsung. I love the Display 56 inch model samsung at Best Buy and I think the colors look amazing and bright over every other tv and the Sony model my father bought the 2000 model I also like the PQ but issues I have with his TV is the start up time to on the tv to get fully warm takes forever. and the blacks seem kinda blue to me on his tv. but besides that hd movies looks great on his set. Which one should I go with? whats your opinion?
post #16811 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post

Thanks for the advice. So you think a 22" stand might be a big high for the 6187, is there another mostly enclosed stand you can recommend that is a bit shorter, and can still house my components and center channel?

And I found the updated version of Video Essentials, is this what you were referring to? Is DVE as easy to use as Avia is/was?

Another good calibration disc is Getgray.
I have the 6187 and the Eliabs settings that are all over this thread are an excellent starting point for setting up this tv.
Also get the Comcast DVR with the HDMI output. You might have to get on a waiting list but you have 2 HDMI inputs so why not use one. Places like Monoprice.com have HDMI cables for pretty cheap.
I have an Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD add on and also a Playstation 3 hooked up and they both look great on this tv.
22" might not be high depending on your eye height when viewing.
Kenal0
post #16812 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 AM

Well, after reading around on the forums I think the possibility of my problem may be that the iris is off or Dynamic Black might be on, as I'm getting symptoms of each. Question: where in the service menu or each of these on what is their entry listed under, I didnt see a listing for either one in my set. Any other settings to make a quick check of?

post #16813 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Alright boys, I have finally decided to get a HLS5087W. What surge protectors are you guys using to protect your HDTV? Also, what are some of the various good calibration software?
Thanks!
post #16814 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR.ICE View Post

I have a hls6188 and have seen reflections of light within the tv. The room is totally dark, not a light on. If the screen is mostly dark and a candle, fire, headlight, or any other light colored object goes across the screen there will be a reflection somewhere else on the screen of it. Is this something that can be fixed.
Thank You

There is nothing practical that you can do to get rid of an internal reflection. You can change the way you watch your TV by adding bias lighting behind your set. That will make blacks look better and it will relieve eye strain caused by your eye trying to adjust to extreme changes in light from your TV.

Here is a discussion from the archives. There are also very inexpensive light you can get, but you need a way to make them dim enough.

Bias Lighting
post #16815 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Samsung has a special stand TR50X3B which fits HL-S models perfectly (adjustable width), its height is right for normal furniture - 17-11/16", price is very reasonable ~$250.00.
But it was tough to fit all my components: I had to get rid of VCR; thanks to Dish VIP 622 I have one component instead of two - STB and DVR. On other side I have a few components not everyone has - networked media player, the second AVR to drive zone 2 speakers, separate DVD recorder. I had to unscrew legs from some components . And the worst of all I don't have a central speaker and had to reconfigure my main AVR because of that. Samsungs don't allow their speakers to be used as a central one. Aside from components I don't believe a good quality central speaker even fits on one shelf's height. I have not found a good solution to this one yet.
I'm not knowledgable enough and not picky enough in calibration software to suggest one. My number one criteria is price. You can easy find a lot of relevant posts even in this thread with very strong opinions.
post #16816 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Samsung has a special stand TR50X3B which fits HL-S models perfectly (adjustable width), its height is right for normal furniture - 17-11/16", price is very reasonable ~$250.00.
But it was tough to fit all my components: I had to get rid of VCR; thanks to Dish VIP 622 I have one component instead of two - STB and DVR. On other side I have a few components not everyone has - networked media player, the second AVR to drive zone 2 speakers, separate DVD recorder. I had to unscrew legs from some components . And the worst of all I don't have a central speaker and had to reconfigure my main AVR because of that. Samsungs don't allow their speakers to be used as a central one. Aside from components I don't believe a good quality central speaker even fits on one shelf's height. I have not found a good solution to this one yet.
I'm not knowledgable enough and not picky enough in calibration software to suggest one. My number one criteria is price. You can easy find a lot of relevant posts even in this thread with very strong opinions.

I have that stand and ended up getting it for 50 bucks on a BB promotion. It is a decent stand and fits the tv nicely. I think it is 224 at BB or CC. I also have the
Bose VSC-10 center channel speaker that fits in there nicely.
http://www.amazon.com/Bose-VCS-10-Ce.../dp/B00005T3NH
There are a lot of Center channel speakers that will fit on that shelf. Just look around.
Kenal0
post #16817 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 10:27 AM

I Know Everyone Says The Fan Is Quiet And It Is Much Quieter Than The Tv I Just Swapped Out With A Very Loud Fan. I Just Wonder If Mine Is A Little Louder Than Most. I Can Hear Mine When Changing The Channel, When On Mute, Or When There Is A Quiet Scene. It Seems To Get Louder At Times. When On Mute I Can Hear It From 15 Ft Away. It Is Pretty Quiet But Others Are Saying They Cant Hear It Unless They Are Right Up On It. Is This Normal And Should I Just Get Used To It? I Love This Tv But The Noise From The Fan Or Colorwheel Is Driving Me Crazy.
post #16818 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecrest View Post

Well, at long last, the day has arrived. The tech will be doing an attempt to correct my extreme pincushion with a screen replacement procedure, tomorrow. I have no idea if this is a newly designed screen or not, but we'll see what happens. I'll give an update after he finishes his work. If this doesn't fix it, I'll get a replacement.

Also, I haven't forgotten about the request for a discreet remote code for internal mute. If he has it, I'll capture it.

Funny you should write about this. Within the last two hours a Samsung tech left my house after voicing my concern about the pincushion effect I was getting on my 5087(Dec06 build). Amazingly enough he stated that it is a normal byproduct of the DLP lamp. He brought up the service menu forwarding thru a mess of screens to where he finally stopped at the checkerboard screen. I immediately saw the bowing at the top(least) and the bottom(most). Completely normal he says. He proceeds to say the some sets are pretty bad but stated an allowable tolerance figure of .7 - 1.0 that is passable.

So now what? Do I bitch and moan, or leave as-is? Help?
post #16819 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I considered hat stand, but my wife is adamant that the stand we end up getting be (mostly) enclosed. Right now the rack my components are on, as well as our current tv stand, are both open.

She really likes the style of the Tech Craft stand b/c of it's doors, and she doesn't see a mess of components and wires. I believe the middle shelf on that unit is adjustable, so fitting a center channel won't be an issue. My only concern with that unit at this point is the almost 22" height. I don't know where that would put the middle of the screen at.
post #16820 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lf82me View Post

He proceeds to say the some sets are pretty bad but stated an allowable tolerance figure of .7 - 1.0 that is passable.

The limit we have been using (from Samsung) is one quarter inch. You need to contact Samsung if your bowing is greater than that amount. What unit of measure goes with .7 to 1.0 range?

Here is some information that I've saved.

Quote:

It may be the screen, although as I mentioned in a previous post, the technician I last showed it to said it is the the way the light engine passes light through the lens and then reflects off the mirror.

That is a major cause of pincushion in all RPTV sets. It's made worse by the short distance between the thumb nail sized chip creating the image, and the very large screen on which it's projected.

Quote:

Noone ever did get a final answer in this forum on what the issue is and if there is a full solution

I've tried to provide the "final" answer several times.

Quote:

If it is the screen, I don't think it matters when it was built. I haven't heard anyone say that later build screens were any different than earlier build ones.

A warped screen can cause pincushion effect but it's the mount not the screen itself.

The third possible cause of pincushion is the way the light engine is mounted in relation to the screen. The mount relationship is different for every individual RPTV set.

I've seen pincushion on the high end German Loewe 55" Articos DLP sets. The cases, mounts and screens were aligned better than any set you are likely to see in mass distribution. The lenses used were also higher quality than any of the mass distribution RPTV sets available. None of that overcame the problem of taking an image from a tiny chip to a large screen in a short distance.

Other companies may be reducing pincushion better than Samsung has been able to so far. Mitsubishi may not be one of them because there is pincushion discussion going on now in their owners threads.

Because it's caused by the nature of RPTV devices and comes from more than one source, an after the fact fix is very hard to come by. The new thinner cases will probably cause the problem to get worse. A lense correction is possible but way too expensive for todays mass market.

My 2004 HLP case is not quite as shallow as the same sized HLS sets and it may be a bit more ridged. It has a much wider bezel. When I measure the bowing on the horizontal edges of a 4x3 image I get about 1/16" on one side and at the most 1/8" on the other side. As cases get lighter, thinner, and narrower it's going to be harder to get those results. Still, with compensating errors, it's possible to find sets with imperceptible pincushion bowing.

There are claims that Sony RPTV sets don't have this problem. I can't say for sure, but if Sony can do it then Samsung and Mitsubishi should also be able to make the bowing disappear before all 4x3 images are gone for good.
post #16821 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 11:51 AM

Hi everyone. I just purchased the 5087 and wanted to let everyone know how happy I am! I have read much here so far and this place is great. I have printed out a couple posts and hope to have everything up and running tonight! This is my first HDTV btw.

[Samsung HL-S5087W 50" 1080p DLP HDTV]
[Xbox 360 and HD DVD player connected via VGA]
[Belkin PureAV AP20800-10 Conditioner and UPS]
post #16822 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I considered hat stand, but my wife is adamant that the stand we end up getting be (mostly) enclosed. Right now the rack my components are on, as well as our current tv stand, are both open.

She really likes the style of the Tech Craft stand b/c of it's doors, and she doesn't see a mess of components and wires. I believe the middle shelf on that unit is adjustable, so fitting a center channel won't be an issue. My only concern with that unit at this point is the almost 22" height. I don't know where that would put the middle of the screen at.

We just went through this about a month ago when we were finally unpacking the 6187. It was quite painful. We had a major issue with our center channel speaker as it's apparently somewhat oversized. We actually looked at that exact stand that you are thinking of and the center was too wide to fit in that center area so you may want to look at it that way.

Anyway, the one we ended up with is something around 26" tall and I don't think it's terribly high. It's probably a little higher than ideal but it still looks great from our seating area.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #16823 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs600cubed View Post

Well, after reading around on the forums I think the possibility of my problem may be that the iris is off or Dynamic Black might be on, as I'm getting symptoms of each. Question: where in the service menu or each of these on what is their entry listed under, I didnt see a listing for either one in my set. Any other settings to make a quick check of?

Anyone? Please?

post #16824 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 PM

Will turning off overscan void my warranty???????
post #16825 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just got done with the service tech being here. He replaced one of the cooling fans to eliminate some chatter, and then took forever trying to adjust a slight tilt issue I had. I wish now I'd just sucked it up as it wasn't that big of a deal. It is relatively straight on the bottom now and there is a tiny amount on the top. I attribute this to the bezel not being perfectly straight. One crappy thing is that he did a factory reset after reinstalling everything, which he saw I wasn't happy about. My lamp, while only at about 150 hours before, was reset to 0, but nothing else seemed to have been affected (gamma stayed at 0 and overscan stayed off). I mentioned the factory-level calibration and he showed me exactly what they do, which only took a minute. It wasn't anything impressive at all. Picture quality seems equal to what it was before, but in adjusting the tilt and moving the board around, my vertical and horizontal settings were all off, which for "perfection" sake has me bummed. Previously mine were at H = 60 and V = 35, which was dead in the middle of each range ( 0 - 120 for horizontal and 0 - 70 for vertical). Now, they are at H = 80 and V = 50. Oh well. At least the fan in the back doesn't have any more chatter. Before, it sounded like a hard drive. Now it can still be heard, but not as much as before and definitely smoother.
post #16826 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR.ICE View Post

Thank You

This sounds exactly like what my old HLN used to do. If there was a bright object displayed on the upper left corner, a faint mirrored white image appeared at the bottom right. This internal reflection was expected behavior for that model (read: unfixable). It was a design flaw. Although I could lessen it's impact with calibration, I never completely eliminated it. It was obviously especially noticable in dark scenes (I seem to recall the buried alive scene in Kill Bill and an episode of CSI in which it was very distracting.)

I'm happy to say that my HLS does not exhibit this flaw. Even when I playback the aforementioned scenes from Kill Bill and CSI, it's not there. Therefore, I would say that is not normal behavior for your TV and thus you should have it serviced.
post #16827 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 04:31 PM

i guess no has an opinion which way I should go
post #16828 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 04:40 PM

[quote]his sounds exactly like what my old HLN used to do. If there was a bright object displayed on the upper left corner, a faint mirrored white image appeared at the bottom right. This internal reflection was expected behavior for that model (read: unfixable). It was a design flaw. Although I could lessen it's impact with calibration, I never completely eliminated it. It was obviously especially noticable in dark scenes (I seem to recall the buried alive scene in Kill Bill and an episode of CSI in which it was very distracting.)

I, too had that problem with my HLN.... bright object in the upper left corner and a ghost like reflection in the lower right corner.... the beginning of Star Trek TNG really showed it..... when the ship went in to warp..... Samsung refused to do anything about it.....

Anyway - that set died and was replaced under extended warranty...

Don
post #16829 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubenruben View Post

Sony or Samsung. Which one should I go with? whats your opinion?

I'll try to help you solve your dilemma. Get the Samsung!!!! (Of course, what did you expect me to say...we're on the Samsung Owner's thread.)

All kidding aside, I truly believe that for the money, you can't beat the Samsung DLPs.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS Prime Elevation Speakers (4)...SVS PC12-NSD Sub
post #16830 of 21480 Old 03-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubenruben View Post

which way I should go, Sony or Samsung

My wife selected Samsung because, as a piece of furniture, it looks better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page