Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 694 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #20791 of 21399 Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

Just a lamp. I don't know if your extended warranty covers lamps or not. But it's an easy fix to an inevitable end.

I was told by Geek Squad that my warranty covers 1 bulb replacement during the life of the extended warranty. For future reference, can the replacement bulbs be purchased readily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20792 of 21399 Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post

I was told by Geek Squad that my warranty covers 1 bulb replacement during the life of the extended warranty. For future reference, can the replacement bulbs be purchased readily?

check my posts on the previous page....You just ahve to be careful when buying as some come with the bulb only and some come with the bulb and the housing....

Two of the more popular sites are Samsung parts and Discount-Merchant....After a little waffeling I decided to go with Discount Merchant....

When you are searching for the Bulb online use the part number BP96-01472A

I paid about 130 shipped which isnt bad IMO.......There are also tutorials on Youtube which show how to replace the bulb only if thats all you get....If you get the enclosure with the bulb, its an easy slide out the old slide in the new....
post #20793 of 21399 Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post

...can the replacement bulbs be purchased readily?

Online? Yes, as Ph8te mentioned. My warranty covered lamps, but they simply shipped it to me. I found that waiting for it to arrive in the mail was a bummer, so from that point on, I've always kept a spare. If a DLP is your only source of TV and you don't want your TV viewing interrupted, you should always keep a spare lamp. Of course if money is an issue, then waiting on the warrantly company may be your only option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20794 of 21399 Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Online? Yes, as Ph8te mentioned. My warranty covered lamps, but they simply shipped it to me. I found that waiting for it to arrive in the mail was a bummer, so from that point on, I've always kept a spare. If a DLP is your only source of TV and you don't want your TV viewing interrupted, you should always keep a spare lamp. Of course if money is an issue, then waiting on the warrantly company may be your only option.

Yes it is my only TV but I'm a patient man. Geek Squad is coming today to service the TV. Although I think I will take your advice and purchase a backup.
post #20795 of 21399 Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

GOt my bulb the other day, was kind of sad that it only came in a plastic bag and the shipping box, but besides that it looks in good condition....Going to put in in most likely this weekend to make sure it works and to have it warm up for two weeks before the big fight party.....

Since the old one still works and is just "dim" I am going to keep it around as a backup, that way I can purchase one at a later date if I find a really good deal...
post #20796 of 21399 Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

I've had my 5687W for almost three years and have loved the set, with zero problems until recently. The set had been getting dimmer, and I knew the lamp was dying. Then one day I turned on the set and the picture was mostly green and completely distorted. I turned it off for a few minutes then back on and it was fine, but very dim. New lamp time!

I ordered an OEM replacement lamp for about $96 shipped.

http://www.electrified.com/Catalog/I...el=BP96-01472A

I went on vacation for a week, (great timing for lamp to die), and came back, installed new lamp in minutes, adjusted the settings (brightness and contrast back to levels when it was new) and I've got a brand new picture again! I still have to check and see how many hours I had on the first lamp, but I assume it's several thousand. Good run.

XBL: dibs ODDJOB
Wiii: Fibonacci-sequence-like numbers
post #20797 of 21399 Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Well i owned my HLS6187W now for over 3-4 year no problem until today.

No front LEDS are on and the TV doesn't power up. Been reading thru alot of post and haven't found just the right one yet. Checked the fuse and thats good but looking for more voltage test points. too rule out he power board. ANY HELP???

Thanks
post #20798 of 21399 Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7evan View Post

I ordered an OEM replacement lamp for about $96 shipped.

http://www.electrified.com/Catalog/I...el=BP96-01472A

Thanks for posting this link, oo7evan. With over 6k hours on my original lamp, I am going to need a new lamp soon, and this price appears to be a good one. Please post if you run into any problems.

haylo75
Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20799 of 21399 Old 04-15-2010, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.doyle11 View Post

Well i owned my HLS6187W now for over 3-4 year no problem until today.

No front LEDS are on and the TV doesn't power up. Been reading thru alot of post and haven't found just the right one yet. Checked the fuse and thats good but looking for more voltage test points. too rule out he power board. ANY HELP???

Thanks

Have you moved the set recently?

Check the safety switch: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post10062907

post #20800 of 21399 Old 04-15-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Have you moved the set recently?

Check the safety switch: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post10062907

no i haven't moved the set in along time. I did check the safety switch and that's not it. I also had it unplug for the night and tried it again this morning and no luck.

Thanks
post #20801 of 21399 Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 AM

I recently put a new lamp in my HL-S 5087w, and everything looked brand new again until I noticed 2 bluish silver dollar size circles on the bottom of the right hand screen. There is one on top of the other. You only see them when the tv is on and the screen [picture] is a faded black. You don't see them when the image is bright or inky black. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #20802 of 21399 Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth J View Post

I recently put a new lamp in my HL-S 5087w, and everything looked brand new again until I noticed 2 bluish silver dollar size circles on the bottom of the right hand screen. There is one on top of the other. You only see them when the tv is on and the screen [picture] is a faded black. You don't see them when the image is bright or inky black. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if your old lamp works, but if it does, you might want to try putting that back in to see if your still seeing these dots. Sounds almost like something got in the set. Since you only see them when the picture is faded black I am lost since it isnt consistant......
post #20803 of 21399 Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Not sure if your old lamp works, but if it does, you might want to try putting that back in to see if your still seeing these dots. Sounds almost like something got in the set. Since you only see them when the picture is faded black I am lost since it isnt consistant......

That was the first thing I did, I put the old one back in and I didn't see the dots. I thought the reason I didn't see them was because the picture was dim. There is a big difference in brightness with the new lamp and thats why I think they are visible now, but I have no idea why they are there. I don't know if its dust on somewhere or something wrong internally. Any input I put the tv on does the same thing.
post #20804 of 21399 Old 04-21-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was the first thing I did, I put the old one back in and I didn't see the dots. I thought the reason I didn't see them was because the picture was dim. There is a big difference in brightness with the new lamp and thats why I think they are visible now, but I have no idea why they are there. I don't know if its dust on somewhere or something wrong internally. Any input I put the tv on does the same thing.

You might try rotating the bulb a bit in the carrier and see if the blotches move. You could eliminate the lamp as the source that way.
post #20805 of 21399 Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

You might try rotating the bulb a bit in the carrier and see if the blotches move. You could eliminate the lamp as the source that way.

Indeed I would try this was well....Especially since you say this happens on "faded" screens and not bright scenes...I have a feeling there is something on the bulb, or close to it, since it happens with one bulb and not the other.
post #20806 of 21399 Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 AM

i have the hl-s5087w, and was wondering if i should go ahead and upgrade to get the best picture out of a new 3d led tv from samsung or just let it ride until the technology gets better and cheaper
post #20807 of 21399 Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroguinness View Post

i have the hl-s5087w, and was wondering if i should go ahead and upgrade to get the best picture out of a new 3d led tv from samsung or just let it ride until the technology gets better and cheaper

i'd totally wait since 1) new tech always needs to be ironed out and 2) i dont really care for 3D anyway
post #20808 of 21399 Old 04-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n64ra View Post

i'd totally wait since 1) new tech always needs to be ironed out and 2) i dont really care for 3D anyway

3d isnt all that great to me either. who cares really...i will just go for the LED tv for the bedroom then.
post #20809 of 21399 Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I have something like this too on an HL-S6187W.

Mine isn't the lamp. I had it before I switched lamps and it continued after. I only notice it on dark (black, night time scenes etc.) It looks like a magnified, ghostly, round finger smudge with an oblong smudge out of it.

It wasn't there before I had the DMD chip replaced by Samsung last year so I think it either got some kind of condensation on the lens or maybe the tech did touch the lens.

When I get time, I'll get the light engine out and see if the smudge is visible on the lens. I don't think it is in the screens as it looks magnified and the mirrors also look mostly ok.
post #20810 of 21399 Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I finally changed out my Bulb, all I can say is WOW....I thought the brightness wasnt that low before, boy was I wrong. Looksed likea brand new TV ......Checked my hours on the old bulb 13153 and it was still going......
post #20811 of 21399 Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 PM

TV turning itself off randomly. This has been happening for a few months now. Some days it never happens (can go for stretches of 5 or 6 straight days), then it will happen every day for awhile. Here is the weird thing, 95% of the time it happens the first 15 minutes of turning the TV on, so, it's not an overheating issue. And it always keeps working after turning it back on.

Sometimes, after turning off, the red "Standby/Temp" light is on, other times I noticed two lights flashing. This evening I purposely counted them. The "Standby/Temp" and the "Lamp" lights flashed 26 times (that seemed like more times then they usually both flash, by the way). Any thoughts?

I changed the light bulb a few months ago, is it possible the TV doesn't like the bulb? Almost like a patient resisting a transplanted organ? I wish I could say that this problem started right after replacing the bulb, but I can't. I don't want to call a service tech until it just shuts down and refuses to come on. I'm afraid a tech will come out and the guy will just shrug his shoulders and say it looks like it's working just fine.
post #20812 of 21399 Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post

TV turning itself off randomly. This has been happening for a few months now. Some days it never happens (can go for stretches of 5 or 6 straight days), then it will happen every day for awhile. Here is the weird thing, 95% of the time it happens the first 15 minutes of turning the TV on, so, it's not an overheating issue. And it always keeps working after turning it back on.

Sometimes, after turning off, the red "Standby/Temp" light is on, other times I noticed two lights flashing. This evening I purposely counted them. The "Standby/Temp" and the "Lamp" lights flashed 26 times (that seemed like more times then they usually both flash, by the way). Any thoughts?

I changed the light bulb a few months ago, is it possible the TV doesn't like the bulb? Almost like a patient resisting a transplanted organ? I wish I could say that this problem started right after replacing the bulb, but I can't. I don't want to call a service tech until it just shuts down and refuses to come on. I'm afraid a tech will come out and the guy will just shrug his shoulders and say it looks like it's working just fine.

I cant remember the solution, but this has happened to owners in the past. If you do a search in this thread for "random" or "shutodown" youll probably find it.....
post #20813 of 21399 Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Try reseating the lamp door -- there's a very sensitive switch that turns the TV off if the door isn't firmly on the switch.

I too had a similar issue. It appeared that the door was fine, but I reseated it making sure there was solid contact with the switch, and it's been fine for months.

I think some people have gone as far as taping or otherwise securing that switch if it's giving trouble.
post #20814 of 21399 Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlonewolf View Post

Try reseating the lamp door -- there's a very sensitive switch that turns the TV off if the door isn't firmly on the switch.

I too had a similar issue. It appeared that the door was fine, but I reseated it making sure there was solid contact with the switch, and it's been fine for months.

I think some people have gone as far as taping or otherwise securing that switch if it's giving trouble.

Good thoughts, is there a common way have securing that switch?
post #20815 of 21399 Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TV turning itself off randomly...I changed the light bulb a few months ago...I wish I could say that this problem started right after replacing the bulb, but I can't...

It's not a coincidence. Opening the lamp door, seasonal ambient temperature changes, moving the set, etc.---all can result in the blue safety switch not being fully depressed. Here's my old post from 2007:

Original post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10062907

Quote:

…While random shutdowns could be a result of a number of nefarious catastrophic failures, many have apparently resolved the issue by doing the following: (I'm not aware of your user experience, so be advised that this is not scary stuff. It is absolutely an end-user task. You won't be doing anything more than what you'd do if you changed the lamp. Lamp changeouts are end-user tasks, and you might as well get used to this procedure as you'll likely need to replace the lamp at least once or twice in the life of the set.)
  1. Make sure TV is off.
  2. Remove the lamp cover (the small, grill panel on the back of the set).
  3. Inspect the spring-loaded safety switch to ensure it is making good contact when the panel is secured. If not, bend the switch slightly to make sure it does.
  4. While you're in here, you may want to reseat the lamp in case it's the culprit. You do this by removing the screws securing the lamp. Grasp the hinged handle on the lamp. Pull straight out. Then push it back into place firmly. Replace screws.
  5. Replace the lamp cover panel.

The switch that you manipulated is there for safety reasons. It would not be safe to remove the lamp while the TV is on. Therefore the switch is designed to kill power to the set in the event the lamp cover panel is removed. It has been hypothesized that the switch is either not installed precisely enough at the factory or become slightly dislocated during shipping.

In either case, you certainly can't do any harm by trying the aforementioned procedure. Please report back to us regarding your results.

***Follow-up: Not long after I originally posted that in March, I started having random shutdowns. I did the procedure, but while "manipulating" the safety switch, I broke the plastic tab that mounts it to the frame. Therefore I wound a rubber band around the switch to permanently keep it depressed. Then I just let the switch dangle. I've had no further problems with random shutdowns. I wish I could find a replacement part for the switch itself (it's just a one-piece into which a small cord is inserted.). That way, if I ever have to have warranty work done, the tech won't furrow his brow about my having mucked around the set. Otherwise, everything has been working fine. Just be more careful than I was about "manipulating" the switch.***

post #20816 of 21399 Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 AM

So after 3 1/2 years, I've finally noticed that my picture was getting dim recently. Since my warranty comes with a free bulb replacement, I figured I'd get it replaced before it blew out. So I got that done yesterday and still have the old bulb for an emergency.

But the really shocking thing was the lamp hours. I got 14,815 hours out of the original bulb and it still has a little life left in it!

So far in 3 1/2 years, that's the only problem I've had. And I still have about 6 more months on my extended warranty. Guess I got one of the good ones!
post #20817 of 21399 Old 05-07-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison View Post

So far in 3 1/2 years, that's the only problem I've had. And I still have about 6 more months on my extended warranty. Guess I got one of the good ones!

Thanks for posting about your experience. I've said this elsewhere, and everyone knows it anyway, but most of the dedicated product threads have a disproportionate amount of negative experience posts, so it's nice to get a positive note once in awhile.

I need to replace my bulb soon, though it has far fewer hours than yours. Given the amount of hours, I'm assuming you had very long runs of continuous power on time. I believe the demo units in retail stores were getting 10k+ hours in similar scenarios.

haylo75
Webmaster -
post #20818 of 21399 Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo75 View Post

Thanks for posting about your experience. I've said this elsewhere, and everyone knows it anyway, but most of the dedicated product threads have a disproportionate amount of negative experience posts, so it's nice to get a positive note once in awhile.

I need to replace my bulb soon, though it has far fewer hours than yours. Given the amount of hours, I'm assuming you had very long runs of continuous power on time. I believe the demo units in retail stores were getting 10k+ hours in similar scenarios.

I still love this set. No problems with the light tunnel, color wheel etc. I am on my second bulb which was slowly dimming since this TV is on quite a bit. I am very happy with the set
post #20819 of 21399 Old 05-07-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo75 View Post

Given the amount of hours, I'm assuming you had very long runs of continuous power on time. I believe the demo units in retail stores were getting 10k+ hours in similar scenarios.

Yes, following advice from this thread, once it gets turned on (usually when the kids get home from school) it stays on (usually until bed time). Unless we plan on being gone for long periods of time.

Of course I wonder if the extra time left on isn't costing more in electricity than the cost of a new bulb in the long run?
post #20820 of 21399 Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I know this is a older thread, but I have two DVR2160's for sale. One operates 100%, but the other has a bad interface board that I confirmed by swapping boards between the two.
Both drives have a copy of HD Net's test patterns (a 15 minute segment). Both also have very low hours. These work off of older Samsung, Mits and Toshiba TV's with 1394 ports.

The one with the bad interface board could easily be modified for a external HDD enclosure for a PC.

PM me if interested.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page