Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 714 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #21391 of 21399 Old 07-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
If I remember correctly that I the sign of a blub\circuit error. Try reseating the bulb and making sure that the "switch" that is depressed by the cover is depressed.

I have tried to reseat the bulb, replaced the bulb with an older bulb that was working before but was dim, taped the safety switch for the cover in the depressed position, and bled the power. Nothing will work. The TV comes on for about 30 secs and looks great then shuts off and all 3 lights blink. I don't hear any unusual noises. This is an OEM Philips bulb replaced in April of 2012. If the ballast was bad wouldn't it keep trying to fire? The bulb lights right up at the beginning and still looks great until it shuts off?

Last edited by Jswerve; 07-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21392 of 21399 Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Count the blinks and then search for that "code". The number of blinks is almost a diagnostic report (basic). I've seen multiple blinks and have the set turn off in the past,
But that was usually due to "heat" etc. Either a power off or unplugging and letting it reset for 5 min or so would "fix" it.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #21393 of 21399 Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Count the blinks and then search for that "code". The number of blinks is almost a diagnostic report (basic). I've seen multiple blinks and have the set turn off in the past,
But that was usually due to "heat" etc. Either a power off or unplugging and letting it reset for 5 min or so would "fix" it.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS

It doesn't do a specific number of blinks it just blinks until you either unplug it or turn the power on again. It shut off a few minutes ago and is still blinking all 3 lights.
post #21394 of 21399 Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered a new OEM bulb. I have about 27 months on the current OEM Philips and I am a little skeptical that it failed already but I need to eliminate that as the issue.
post #21395 of 21399 Old 07-05-2014, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Bulb fixed it. Too bad you can't determine that before ordering. Glad that's the only problem. Wierd though the last bulb was a genuine OEM Philips. Only got 2 years out of it and it looked great.
120inna55 likes this.
post #21396 of 21399 Old 07-05-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post
Bulb fixed it.
Good to hear.

Quote:
...Wierd though the last bulb was a genuine OEM Philips. Only got 2 years out of it...
Not too uncommon. You got a dud. I replace mine on average every year. I now distinctly see the dimming, and although still watchable, I can't abide it. I know how good a fresh new lamp looks, and I can't stand to keep looking at a suboptimal image nor do I want to muck around with brightness / contrast settings to account for an aging lamp. As a result, I have a closet full of partially used bulbs from which many users may have gotten several more hours of use.
post #21397 of 21399 Old 07-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post
Good to hear.

Not too uncommon. You got a dud. I replace mine on average every year. I now distinctly see the dimming, and although still watchable, I can't abide it. I know how good a fresh new lamp looks, and I can't stand to keep looking at a suboptimal image nor do I want to muck around with brightness / contrast settings to account for an aging lamp. As a result, I have a closet full of partially used bulbs from which many users may have gotten several more hours of use.
I've had a white spot directly above the power button on the screen that's really most noticeable when you are standing up and above normal viewing angle?
post #21398 of 21399 Old 07-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I've had a white spot directly above the power button on the screen that's really most noticeable when you are standing up and above normal viewing angle?
Does this happen in a Totally dark room? There is possibility of light coming in through the screen, reflecting off of the mirror and back onto the screen.

--Carl
post #21399 of 21399 Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Found a HLS5087W

Found a HLS5087WX that someone was going to trash. Looked in good physical shape, and included the remote. I powered it up and after two power up audio flourishes, it eventually starts flashing the three lights. No picture came on at all. Everything I've read says that's the bulb. I'm willing to spend a few bucks on a lamp to see if that's the case. If it's not that lamp, would it be worth taking it anywhere to service it? Or is there any way to connect an RS232 to it and read anything regarding an error code?

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page