Samsung 720p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx66W/HLSxx86W DLP Models - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1998 Old 09-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1x View Post

i spent a bit more time playing w/ my new toy.. it turns out the DVD wasn't very good coz i didn't turn the "progressive" mode on!!! i turned it on and OMG picture looks AMAZING.

for my eyes, "standard" video setting looks a lot better than "MOVIE" btw

A few people (in earlier posts) are reporting better results with progressive turned off on the DVD player and letting the TV set handle the upsampling via "film mode." That's how i have it set up at the moment, but the jury's still out - I saw little difference either way but have yet to upgrade my composite cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1998 Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Ok, finally the replacement new HL-S4266 is here.

This set has an August 2006 build.

Black Grass is still there but reduced significantly. It is 98% - 99% gone at the bottom of the picture and I would say about 60% gone at the top of the picture. Overall, most would say it is not there; you have to know it is there, and strain to see it. The Black Grass per se was not objectionable to me on the first set. It was the lack of black detail (heavy crush), and often shadow puppet pictures that bothered me the most.

Overall this set has a significantly better picture then the first. Remember the first one, was one of the first off the assemble line. It was in my house approximately one month before BB or CC had them in the stores.

Here are the major areas this one is better:

1. Much greater color accuracy in all settings (dynamic, standard, movie, custom). 95% of the neon effect is color is not gone.
2. It is sharper overall
3. The first set could only do grayscale accurate in the 20% through the 120% level; confirmed subjectively with the Get Gray calibration disk. In other words the bottom 20% of blacks were crushed up into the 20% level. The set is a lot better, I would subjectively say about 8% through the 108% level. Much much better, but still no 1080p set with the advanced black detailers etc.
4. Geometry is a lot better. It was acceptable to me of the first set; even so this one is much improved. That is more accurate 4:3 Much straighter letter box etc. According to Get Gray Overscan is almost identical on both sets. About 2% left and right. About 1% top and about 5% bottom. Um, wonder if that is the DVD player and not my set? No biggie, it don't bother me.
5. The picture is much more evenly lighted (very important in dark scenes). The first set was visibly brighter closer to the bottom of the screen. The set is able to produce blacks and very dark colors evenly across all parts of the screen.
6. DNIe is much much improved. I still prefer movie mode for night viewing, and will occasionally use standard (warm2) for daytime (bright lights) with DNIe off but for some pictures the DNIe on can produce somewhat good results. The DNIe on this set does not crush blacks as severely as it did on the first one. In other words on this set you can see faint pin stripes on black suits in standard with DNIe on, that you could not see at all in movie mode on the old set. It is that much improved! That is really a major change.
7. Software is a little different inside. Very subtle changes here and there. For example, on this set you can adjust hue even on digital stations. The most significant is that color accuracy is so much better (decoding).

Even though the set was delivered last Friday, I only got back in town last night; so have only had a few hours with the set.

Any problems? Yes - the cooling fan makes a high pitch whining sound. You can hear it across the room. I will decide in the next couple of days if it bothers me enough to have them replace the fan; at this point I am leaning towards yes. The first set was 100% quite.
post #633 of 1998 Old 09-18-2006, 10:39 AM

HoustonPerson
Glad to see progress in getting a functional exchange set. I love my HL-S4266 and while reading your seven pros of the set I can honestly say mine has the same picture attributes which is why I've decided to overlook the black grass. As I said before, my black grass has been steadily (although slowly) shrinking. I'm surprised the new set has any at all. It must be a tough thing to fix if Samsung can't do it. I've also noticed how on my set DNIe can sometimes improve things like you've noticed. I've seen where I can see more detail in black objects like a suit as-well. Anyway, I hope you get your fan noise resolved. As you said about your old set, my fan is very quiet.

BTW: I never did try the black grass message on my set.

Steve
post #634 of 1998 Old 09-18-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Ok, finally the replacement new HL-S4266 is here.

This set has an August 2006 build.

Overall this set has a significantly better picture then the first. Remember the first one, was one of the first off the assemble line. It was in my house approximately one month before BB or CC had them in the stores.

HoustonPerson

How do I find the build date of my set?
If I'm not mistaken, its on a sticker on the box? If so, mine is April 2006.
And what was the build date of your first set?
post #635 of 1998 Old 09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Build Date is on a sticker, dead center on the back of the TV. If I recall correctly the first one was March 2006. But it may have been April?

AFAIK, the Black Grass massage is only temporary. Also, the Black Grass on the current set is so minimal, that I think I would be the only one able to see it. That is how little it is.

I am so happy the black detail is much improved. Today I watch Jepordy in HD with the set on "standard" with the DNIe "on" - of course all the lights were on too. I could see all the detail in Mr. Host (what is that guys name - for $200) black suit! And you could actually see the difference between black, dark gray, and navy suits. The first TV they all looked like dull shadows.

About the only changes I have made to the factory settings are:

move mode - reduce sharpness to about 42

standard mode - reduce sharpness to about 42 and reduce color about 5 notches down, and temp to warm2.

I do not use dynamic or custom.
post #636 of 1998 Old 09-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Build Date is on a sticker, dead center on the back of the TV. If I recall correctly the first one was March 2006. But it may have been April?

AFAIK, the Black Grass massage is only temporary. Also, the Black Grass on the current set is so minimal, that I think I would be the only one able to see it. That is how little it is.

I am so happy the black detail is much improved. Today I watch Jepordy in HD with the set on "standard" with the DNIe "on" - of course all the lights were on too. I could see all the detail in Mr. Host (what is that guys name - for $200) black suit! And you could actually see the difference between black, dark gray, and navy suits. The first TV they all looked like dull shadows.

About the only changes I have made to the factory settings are:

move mode - reduce sharpness to about 42

standard mode - reduce sharpness to about 42 and reduce color about 5 notches down, and temp to warm2.

I do not use dynamic or custom.

On my set Movie mode Sharpness defaults to 25. And in the Standard mode Sharpness is 50....Maybe you meant Contrast?
post #637 of 1998 Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 PM

Anybody know if the HLS-4666W will pass through DD 5.1 audio from the HDMI input to the optical out? Or do you have to route the audio from the source via a separate optical/digital coax cable to your receiver in order to get DD? I have an older receiver that doesn't support HDMI or component switching, so it's easier if I can route all the audio/video inputs into the TV, then run a single optical cable from the TV to the receiver. Otherwise I have to switch inputs on both the TV and the receiver whenever I switch sources. Thanks...
post #638 of 1998 Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark1987 View Post

are you sure the 4666W does?

Nope it doesnt too - but then its no brainer - reports on 4666 seem to be better than the 5086 plus its for the bedroom - 4" wont make such a difference. Already have the Sony GW 60

QAM if there on the 50 would have tilted me in favor of the 50
post #639 of 1998 Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 AM

interested in purchasing samsung dlp 4266w - main reason for purchase is video out. has anyone used composite video out out to record ota programming- how does it work? can i watch s-video while the tv video output is set to atsc tv tuner. thanks
post #640 of 1998 Old 09-19-2006, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

DSL_Steve

Yes you are correct, my bad.

On Movie mode the only thing I changed on factory default was sharpness: Was 25 and I increased it to 42

On Standard Mode:
DNIe is "off" most of the time
Sharpness reduced to 42 (was 50 I think)
Color reduced to 45 (was 50 I think)
and Temp changed to Warm2

Both of those settings produce excellent results (PQ) for the GetGray disc - gray levels, colors etc.

We watched Standoff, Prison Break, Vanished, and just parts of CSI (all from the HD recorder to chop out the commercials); this set overall blows the other one away. All pictures are a lot more real. The standard setting above can in many scenes produce even a little better black detail than movie mode. We can now see color ticking in dark suits that was not visible on the first set.
post #641 of 1998 Old 09-19-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:

DSL_Steve

Yes you are correct, my bad.

On Movie mode the only thing I changed on factory default was sharpness: Was 25 and I increased it to 42

On Standard Mode:
DNIe is "off" most of the time
Sharpness reduced to 42 (was 50 I think)
Color reduced to 45 (was 50 I think)
and Temp changed to Warm2

Both of those settings produce excellent results (PQ) for the GetGray disc - gray levels, colors etc.

We watched Standoff, Prison Break, Vanished, and just parts of CSI (all from the HD recorder to chop out the commercials); this set overall blows the other one away. All pictures are a lot more real. The standard setting above can in many scenes produce even a little better black detail than movie mode. We can now see color ticking in dark suits that was not visible on the first set.

I'm going to try out similar settings for Standard mode. We've been using Movies mode with the factory defaults for almost everything lately. Every now and then I reduce the contrast from 70 to 50 or 40 (Eliabs recommended settings) and I always end up finding that the picture seems too dark at times.

Have you seen this discussion?

My Sharpness settings don't seem to do much.
post #642 of 1998 Old 09-19-2006, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl_steve View Post

I'm going to try out similar settings for Standard mode. We've been using Movies mode with the factory defaults for almost everything lately. Every now and then I reduce the contrast from 70 to 50 or 40 (Eliabs recommended settings) and I always end up finding that the picture seems too dark at times.

Have you seen this discussion?

My Sharpness settings don't seem to do much.

Ok, I will post a reply there regarding sharpness.
post #643 of 1998 Old 09-19-2006, 02:19 PM

I am about to purchase a DLP and I have read several pages of this thread and I cant seem to have some across a post of where someone had bought the HLS5686. Is there a quality reason for this or does it mainly have to do with space? Also I am about 100% sure what ever I buy I will buy from Amazon since they have a good deal and free shipping. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Extended Warranty? I was searching to see if Samsung had one, but cant seem to find anything. TV Authority has one that you can buy from them even if you dont buy your TV from them. Any suggestions would be appericated and comments.

AM

FW 2004
HW 1001
Our Engineers are working on a Fix! ;)
post #644 of 1998 Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

I just bought a 5686 from Amazon - no problems whatsoever. As I understand it, the sets are basically the same except for the size, so any comments on the 50" or 62" (65?) should apply to the 56" as well.

I haven't purchased any extended warranty yet - haven't decided yet - but Amazon offers one as well.
post #645 of 1998 Old 09-19-2006, 08:49 PM

I've had my hls4666 for about a month now and I'm thrilled with the picture quality I get OTA.

I'm building a PC/DVR and the card that I have installed (mdp-130) will not output to my TV through the DVI/HDMI cable. In fact, hdmi is greyed out within the TV menu. It's not getting a signal. I connected it to one of my DVI flat panels with a DVI cable and the output was fine. I just ordered an Oppo DVD player which will also use a DVI\\HDMI cable. Depending on whether or not that works I should be able to isolate the problem.

Is anyone else having problems with their HDMI ports?

Thanks.
post #646 of 1998 Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am4966 View Post

I am about to purchase a DLP and I have read several pages of this thread and I cant seem to have some across a post of where someone had bought the HLS5686. Is there a quality reason for this or does it mainly have to do with space? Also I am about 100% sure what ever I buy I will buy from Amazon since they have a good deal and free shipping. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Extended Warranty? I was searching to see if Samsung had one, but cant seem to find anything. TV Authority has one that you can buy from them even if you dont buy your TV from them. Any suggestions would be appericated and comments.

AM

Purchasing online is hit or miss, it does not matter who the vendor is. Our family has had 4 DLP's shipped long distance within the last 9 months. One had fork lift go through the side of the cabinet. Another arrived perfect, but the stand was destroyed. Another looked perfect and the box was 1000% percent perfect, but the set was DOA; best I could figure it was dropped real hard it just kept playing the Samsung tune over and over again, and never turned on, and the bulb never lite up in back either. A fourth one arrived with tiny damage to the box, but the set was perfect. Just make sure the vendor backs it up, and do not accept a damaged set.

Also, I have found that local vendors usually do better on pricing any way.
post #647 of 1998 Old 09-20-2006, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Item 8:

Along the lines of software revision - those subtle things. I basically never use "still picture" mainly a "toy" I think. But on the first set it would always change the color, and lighten the contrast when used. For example it you had the picture on "standard" and DNIe "on" and hit still picture it would change color and contrast a lot (much lighter). I had tested a few sets in the store back in April and May and they did the same thing. This set is 1000% dead on, the picture you "freeze" is the picture you where just watching, with no changes what so ever to color, brightness, or contrast.

Now I will never use "still picture" again LOL
post #648 of 1998 Old 09-20-2006, 07:41 AM

BTW, I bought my HL-S4666W from Amazon (delivered by Eagle USA). It arrived on time, the box was undamaged, and the TV worked fine. The driver even brought the box into our living room, took the TV out of the box, put it on the TV stand, and waited while I plugged it in and verified it was working. This was even though Amazon specifies "threshold" delivery (i.e., they bring it to your front door).

So I think it varies depending on what freight company is used, and probably down to the individual driver you get. BTW, as far as local companies doing better on pricing, no local store would get within $200 of Amazon's price ($1299, no tax, free delivery). Best Buy & Circuit City both said they wouldn't match against an online retailer, and the best they could do was about $1700.
post #649 of 1998 Old 09-20-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munangst View Post

Anybody know if the HLS-4666W will pass through DD 5.1 audio from the HDMI input to the optical out?

No, it does not. It appears that the optical out only outputs DD 5.1 when viewing OTA content.

I was hoping to have the same setup you describe. Unfortunately, it appears that even after all these years, we are still stuck having to change sources on two different components. Maybe in a few years.
post #650 of 1998 Old 09-20-2006, 07:09 PM

I've been tweaking with the picture settings since I got this TV this past Friday and wanted to see if anyone else had this same issue. When I use the custom setting and tie it exactly to the default "movie" mode the picture looks different. Can't really describe the changes, but it always looks like "movie" mode is better. Is there something more that "movie" mode does that I can't change in the settings or is my eyes just playing tricks on me.

-jonathan
post #651 of 1998 Old 09-21-2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimason View Post

I've been tweaking with the picture settings since I got this TV this past Friday and wanted to see if anyone else had this same issue. When I use the custom setting and tie it exactly to the default "movie" mode the picture looks different. Can't really describe the changes, but it always looks like "movie" mode is better. Is there something more that "movie" mode does that I can't change in the settings or is my eyes just playing tricks on me.

-jonathan

Movie mode has a different Gamma setting. It can not be duplicated in the Custom, Standard or Dynamic modes. There may be other differences as well.
post #652 of 1998 Old 09-21-2006, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimason View Post

-jonathan

Movie mode turns DNIe off.
post #653 of 1998 Old 09-22-2006, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess we have watched about another 20 hours of HD on the new set.

The most important improvement of all is the black detail, it makes watching shows a pleasure. Even my wife says this set is a lot more crisp, she "can see more" (meaning no more shadow puppets.)

The DNIe is great on this set, even with it turned "on" in extemely bright lighting color accuracy is excellent and you still have black detail on dark clothes (pin stripes etc). On the first set DNIe made the set non-watchable it was "crushed" so bad, and so super "neon" looking.
post #654 of 1998 Old 09-22-2006, 04:05 PM

i did a search here but can't find a solid answer...

Do most of you have your contrast settings in the 30-45 range? I'm trying to calibrate my DLP with my AVIA disc. I cant tell when the contrast setting is doing anything during that portion of the calibration. I ended up sticking with a setting of 87 but most people here say that is too high. I've been trying settings in the 40 range along but it seems so dark compared to what i'm used to. Here are my current settings.

contrast 42
brightness 51
sharpness 0
color 46
normal
post #655 of 1998 Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrsl View Post

i did a search here but can't find a solid answer...

Do most of you have your contrast settings in the 30-45 range? I'm trying to calibrate my DLP with my AVIA disc. I cant tell when the contrast setting is doing anything during that portion of the calibration. I ended up sticking with a setting of 87 but most people here say that is too high. I've been trying settings in the 40 range along but it seems so dark compared to what i'm used to. Here are my current settings.

contrast 42
brightness 51
sharpness 0
color 46
normal

On my 4266 I've also found the 'Eliab recommended' contrast settings too dark. I've ended up using the Samsung defaults for the Movie mode which are:

Mode - Movie
Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - OFF
Contrast - 70
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 25
Color - 45
Tint - MID
Color Tone - Warm 2

These settings just seem to work well with all inputs regardless of day or night viewing.
post #656 of 1998 Old 09-23-2006, 02:35 AM

We have ordered an HLS5086W for our bedroom. My wife wants to put it on top of our dresser, which would make the center of the screen about 7 feet off the floor. The intent is that we would be able to watch tv laying down. The problem is that this will cause the viewing angle to be about 18-22 degrees underneath the tv. The viewing distance will be about 15 feet. The question is can I tilt the tv forward 20 degrees and not mess up the tv?... Will it effect the color wheel / air bearings or anything else...? Any other suggestions?
post #657 of 1998 Old 09-23-2006, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas63 View Post

We have ordered an HLS5086W for our bedroom. My wife wants to put it on top of our dresser, which would make the center of the screen about 7 feet off the floor. The intent is that we would be able to watch tv laying down. The problem is that this will cause the viewing angle to be about 18-22 degrees underneath the tv. The viewing distance will be about 15 feet. The question is can I tilt the tv forward 20 degrees and not mess up the tv?... Will it effect the color wheel / air bearings or anything else...? Any other suggestions?

Well because you are 15' away it may not be a problem? If it is, I would not think tilting 5 degrees would be a problem, wonder if there is anything in the book about this? Besides all the hot air comes out the back, so that would only help keep the TV cooler (more air on the bottom and that fan can blow more out the back).
post #658 of 1998 Old 09-23-2006, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

My settings are listed just a few post above.

I have since reduced sharpness to 38 for both "standard" and "movie".

Our color setting is reduced too (see above).

We use "movie" at night or in very dark room

Standard with the lights on

And will turn "on" the DNIe when the room is super bright; usually it is "off".

IMO the current Samsung produces excellent results on the Get Gray calibration disk (the first Samsung failed terribly and it could not be adjusted at all).

I am still amazed that calibration on this set is sooooooooooooo good, the first one was sooooooooooooo bad.

Now I am watching way too much TV
post #659 of 1998 Old 09-23-2006, 05:39 AM

Quote:

I am still amazed that calibration on this set is sooooooooooooo good, the first one was sooooooooooooo bad.

Now I am watching way too much TV

Glad to see your enjoying your set. I am really happy with mine too and I also am watching TV too much. I have a Samsung HD860 upconverting 720p DVD player that makes watching DVDs a real experience. Its so good that we see the 3D effect that's associated with HD quite often.

This weekend my wife and I have the first 3 disks of Lost, season 2 courtesy of Netflix. We'll be vegin out in front of the TV a lot. BTW, if you want to see some real great quality video, watch the Deadwood series.
post #660 of 1998 Old 09-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am4966 View Post

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Extended Warranty? I was searching to see if Samsung had one, but cant seem to find anything. TV Authority has one that you can buy from them even if you dont buy your TV from them. Any suggestions would be appericated and comments.

AM

http://*********texas.com/mack_warranty_combo.html
This is what I got -insert tape works with out space

Aka- Fr8mvr
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page