Samsung 720p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx66W/HLSxx86W DLP Models - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1998 Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmLS1 View Post

It's worth it. Do you mean no one has the TV on display?

I got my 4666w from a Best Buy in Dallas...

I have looked everywhere in Fort Worth and Arlington (BB, CC, etc.) and I can't find anyone who has the 46" on display. They have them in the warehouse however. I haven't checked in the past week or so, so i'll go back and check.

I am happy with the 4266 I have. It does seem to have good contrast. I just wanted to make sure that the 4666 would not be a significant improvement. Mine is a late build date and seems not to exhibit any of the problems I have seen mentioned on this thread. So, perhaps I should leave well enough alone.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1998 Old 09-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo-Prof View Post

....So, perhaps I should leave well enough alone.

Kevin

That's what I'm doing with my 4266. And I have a small amount of the black grass as-well.
post #723 of 1998 Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM

Hey all
Just got a new 5086 and I have a couple of questions. Read most of this thread so if the answers to my questions are in the thread lemme know and I'll search. Here's my situation:
I have digital cable but my local provider has NO HD stations (I live in Bedrock) but I live within visual sight of the OTA transmitters so I was going to get HD OTA and use digital cable for all other stations (and just toggle between the two). My cable box has HDMI but my question is how do you guys advise I set this up? Antenna to the antenna port via coax I assume (any choice there?) but what about the cable box? HDMI? Sound will go to my receiver via optical. thanks in advance. You guys ROCK
post #724 of 1998 Old 09-29-2006, 01:13 PM

CRIKEY!!!! i ordered my 6186W from AXXXXN bookseller on 9/8, and i just found out that the price of this TV has gone down by a friggin ONE BENJAMIN!! arggghh

but i'm happy to report that this TV KICKS arse, it's amazing. I watched Troy in awe the whole time. I like the factory setting of "Standard" and with "DNIe" turn on. Movie mode is too dark for me.
post #725 of 1998 Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1x View Post

Movie mode is too dark for me.

Not only did I find movie mode too dark as well, it is far too warm for my tastes. I increased brightness some and watch it in either neutral or cool-1. I used to work in a phote lab some years ago. Movie mode reminds me of how some Kodak films can be TOO warm.
post #726 of 1998 Old 09-29-2006, 09:57 PM

I received my HL-S5066W this week and I have a few comments:

Anyone who says there is no lag when playing games (480i games, anyway) on this thing is wrong. The first game I tried was Guitar Hero (PS2 via component) and it was completely unplayable. I turned "game mode" on and the timing feels fine.

The viewing angles are a little tight for my taste. Everything looks great when I am sitting on my couch directly in front of it at about 9 feet. If I stand up in that spot (like when I am playing Guitar Hero), there is a huge drop in brightness. I also noticed that it is less sensitive to low vertical angles. In other words, I can sit on the floor and it looks fine, but standing up the same distance ruins the image. The image doesn't seem to be consistant across the whole screen. It reminds me of how with LCD monitors, you can never get a perfect spot where the whole screen is the same brightness, there are always darker spots. I was expecting a more rock-solid image from DLP.

The TV is completely silent. When first turning it on, I can hear the fan/wheel spin up, but after that, total silence.

My screen has some sort of damage on the inside. It looks like a dirty spot about 1cm in diameter on the screen near the bottom. It is in between the displayed image and the outside screen. It's very annoying and I plan on setting up an exchange with the store tomorrow.

Someone here mentioned that they have never heard anyone say their TV is too big. Well, make me the first. When I was originally shopping for a set, I planned on getting a 46". This 50" was cheaper than the 46" so it made no sense to go smaller. 50" seems to be just a tad too big. I imagine I will quickly get used to it.

The VGA input works great. "PC wide" mode and the autoadjust feature made hooking up my HTPC foolproof. I just hooked up the cable and set the PC resolution to 1280x720. Instant enjoyment with no overscan or manual adjusting of the image position.

I really really really wish that this set had per-input setting memory. It appears to save settings per-input-type, which makes for extra digging through the menus.

I am looking forward to how things look once I hook up the upconverting DVD player and calibrate with Avia!
post #727 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nik View Post

...Now about the SDE, maybe I got my terminology wrong, so I'll try to explain what I see. Its very noticable with light colors like white or baby blue, instead of a solid color there is like a mesh or grain thats visible, and its not part of the video because it doesnt move with the colors but stays in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron3395 View Post

From what you are explaining it sounds like silk screen effect (SSE) which is common in in both DLP's and LCD rear projection TV's. Screen Door Effect is just what it says. It looks like you are lookin through a door or window screen and see all the little squares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nik View Post

Anyone else has Silk screen effect on their 720p DLP's ?

I have this exact problem. It seems to be worse with older DVD's. ID4 looked as if the lens were dirty! Viewing distance is about 9ft. Is this normal guys? What technology doesn't have this issue? Plasma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvilletoday View Post

I bought the 5086 at BB last night and they price matched Bookseller so total w/ shipping and tax came to booksellers price with no tax and free shipping. It was so easy I feel like I should have gone lower, but I'll take it.

This confuses me. You paid less or more in total from BB than you would have from AZ? Also, how did you get them to PM online?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh400 View Post

So as far as reliability is concerned, you don't think I should be concerned about the fact that DLP has moviing parts (color wheel) which might make it more susceptible to break down? What do you think?

Unfortunately, I didn't purchase my set from Sam or Costco either. Did you guys buy warrantys? Should I be worried?
post #728 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 05:52 AM

>>>I have looked everywhere in Fort Worth and Arlington (BB, CC, etc.) and I can't find anyone who has the 46" on display. They have them in the warehouse however. I haven't checked in the past week or so, so i'll go back and check.

I am happy with the 4266 I have. It does seem to have good contrast. I just wanted to make sure that the 4666 would not be a significant improvement. Mine is a late build date and seems not to exhibit any of the problems I have seen mentioned on this thread. So, perhaps I should leave well enough alone.

Kevin<<<<br />

Kevin, I thought the same thing when I bought my 4266. We traded it up to the 4666 and wow are we glad. The picture is much better, the blacks are blacker, no black grass at all and the increase in size was welcomed. We bought the 4666 from BB. They have many of them in the wherehouse. I think the 4666 may be the best of all the Samsung DLP's.
post #729 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 10:08 AM

QUOTE: This confuses me. You paid less or more in total from BB than you would have from AZ? Also, how did you get them to PM online?!

Price I paid for the TV was lowered to the point that including tax (which the store had to charge) and shipping in the total equalled what the bookseller total cost was. So in the end, the cost of getting the tv to my house and paid for was the same as online. I just asked them to match the price. No resistance at all. I got the feeling that if I came back and talked to another salesperson/manager it may have been a different story. The store was quiet, not much business at that point. Maybe they just wanted a sale.

Regarding the tv, I love it. SD is far better than I thought it would be. Huge variation in DVD quality. I put in "Air Force One" and it was really grainy. I put in "Lord of the Rings" and it was fantastic. HD OTA, especially PBS, is phenomenal. Question: where do I set the res on my dvd (480i, 480p etc) for best quality. It is an upconverte with progressive scan.

Downside: Huge variation in sound delay. On some dvds it's far worse than others. On some tv stations, its far worse than others. Sometimes to such a slight degree that I don't notice it unless I'm looking for it and other times very noticeable. My receiver has a limited delay setting and not enough to compensate completely. I've hooked it up via HDMI to the tv, then out to my receiver via optical, and also via HDMI for image to the tv and then optical directly from the dvd to my receiver and both give a delay. My question is. wouldn't you consider this a fairly large problem if you can't hook up peripheral devices without a sound delay? Many posters seem to just put up with it but to me it seems to be a big issue. As I said, I'm blown away by the picture and the delay is not constant but do I put up with it? Return the set? Is mine defective?

Sorry for the long post. Has anyone found an ideal hookup that eliminates this problem?
post #730 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey all
I have digital cable but my local provider has NO HD stations (I live in Bedrock) but I live within visual sight of the OTA transmitters so I was going to get HD OTA and use digital cable for all other stations (and just toggle between the two). My cable box has HDMI but my question is how do you guys advise I set this up? Antenna to the antenna port via coax I assume (any choice there?) but what about the cable box? HDMI? Sound will go to my receiver via optical. thanks in advance. You guys ROCK

Yes for the OTA antenna. I would doubt your cable box has a HDMI or DVi output if your provider does not have any HD???? Or am I assuming wrong and you have HD but not locals? If so HDMI or component from the STB will work just fine.

Aka- Fr8mvr
post #731 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmLS1 View Post

Doesn't the 5086 have known component video problems?

What are they? I have no problems using component.

Aka- Fr8mvr
post #732 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU71 View Post

My new HLS5086W has this wierd Green tint to it. All skin, black or white, has this green hue to it. Also my reds are more burgandy. I've tryied adjusting MyColorControl as well as all the other sliders and the strange green tint still persists.

It is getting its signal through component, the ones provided by the cable company. If anyone knows how to correct this issue or point me in the right direction please let me know.

Also, would this be corrected by using HDMI/DVI cables?

Any information will be much appreciated

Thanks!

look at page 68 in your manual on color weakness. move the green 2-3 clicks untill the green tint is gone.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=13067402

Aka- Fr8mvr
post #733 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post

Yes for the OTA antenna. I would doubt your cable box has a HDMI or DVi output if your provider does not have any HD???? Or am I assuming wrong and you have HD but not locals? If so HDMI or component from the STB will work just fine.

Thanks kevinw. Actually my cable box has HDMI but local cable company carries no HD channels. Unbelievable I know.
post #734 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks kevinw. Actually my cable box has HDMI but local cable company carries no HD channels. Unbelievable I know.

I would make sure it is an active port. wit out HD there is no reason to have it working. I'd call your provider. OR get DISH so you can have HD

Aka- Fr8mvr
post #735 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post

I would make sure it is an active port. wit out HD there is no reason to have it working. I'd call your provider. OR get DISH so you can have HD

Great thought. I just checked it and you're right. Never would have thought of that. Thanks very much, you saved me from buying a second HDMI cable.

Any thoughts about the audio sync issue I mentioned in my earlier post?
post #736 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Question: where do I set the res on my dvd (480i, 480p etc) for best quality. It is an upconverte with progressive scan.

Downside: Huge variation in sound delay.

The Dream system I have has a switch to go from Interlace to Manual (Inter or Prog through the menu). Interlace seems to alleviate most of the lip sync issues. Tho they are still there.

On a bummer note, I'll be returning the set and most likely not getting another TV until I can figure out this SDE/SSE. Watching Leno/Conan last night only to see "cobweb, sparkly, dirt" on Harland William's pants made the decision much easier. It's all over light colored scenes. And I had almost full signal strength. Is it so hard to find a TV that looks like a Dell Truelife notebook? Or the NEC 20WMGX2?
post #737 of 1998 Old 09-30-2006, 05:58 PM

Hey guys -

I have the HL-S5686W DLP TV with the BP59-00107A remote. I am trying to get my remote to run my Samsung HT-P1200 DVD Home Theatre system. Can you tell me which code to use?

I tried some from the manual, but nothing has worked. Samsung was no help either.

Thanks, Justin
post #738 of 1998 Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, so just how are you all finding the 4266 on standard definition cable channels?
I have been considering this TV, but when I've looked in the stores (like yesterday - looking at CC's Direct TV feed), although this particular model looked better than any of the other DLP sets, it doesn't seen to hold candle to a CRT direct view (especially the Sony 32FS170).
The picture did not seem smooth, but blotchy, and unsharp. It did not look "real".

Since app. 90% of my viewing wil still be SD channels, via Comcast digital cable, I now think I would be better off with that Sony CRT thant this 42" Samsung DLP. That Sony has a crisp, clear picture, although a hideous silver cabinet.

Or is it possible that CC's Direct TV feed is just really bad and didn't get an accurate representation of what the 4266 is capable of?
post #739 of 1998 Old 10-01-2006, 07:00 AM

They all look awful on SD, especially right after you switch from HD. The smaller the screen, the less you notice how awful SD is. I'm watching awful quality SD right now on my 4266, and it looks awful, but it's not the set's fault.
post #740 of 1998 Old 10-02-2006, 01:47 AM

Hi,

Newbie here...and new to HD! Please bear with my lengthy post.

I just received my 5086W yesterday and am still waiting to get my HD upgrade from Dish Network.

In the meantime, doing comparisons between the different channels in non-HD format. What I'm finding is that the local channels are of lower quality than those that subscribers to cable & dish get. Sunday night football looked very pixilated.

Of course, I'm assuming that when my HD is activated (including the local channels) I'll be pleased.

I've just gotten finished reading all 25 pages of this thread (whew...not a quick feat) and have some questions....

What are visual artifacts?

Someone earlier on mentioned the "claymation" effect? Can someone describe that? Tonight when I was watching Desperate Housewives there were multiple occurances of large blocks of color. For example, the various fleshtones one would see did not blend seamlessly on the face. To me I would describe it as "paint-by-numbers" where there was a definite delimination of color blocks for hollows of the cheeks, highlight of the brow and jaw, etc. Does that make sense to anyone? Is this what someone meant by "claymation"?

This was not consistent across all channels.

Also, I'm sitting 11' away, and anyone sitting on my loveseat will be sitting 8-10'-ish away. I'm wondering if I've purchased a set that is too big for my viewing distance.

Would I perhaps be happier with PQ on the 4666 set considering the distance? I know that probably sounds like a strange question because the pricing I'm finding is similar and the set size is very close. But...all that aside, I want to be happy with what I'm seeing. I'd be hesitant on the 4266 after reading about it here.

Any and all feedback and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!
post #741 of 1998 Old 10-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFox68 View Post

They all look awful on SD, especially right after you switch from HD. The smaller the screen, the less you notice how awful SD is. I'm watching awful quality SD right now on my 4266, and it looks awful, but it's not the set's fault.

I'd have to agree with this for the most part as well. I have the 4266 and RCN SD cable and OTA HD. It pains me to switch back to SD. But, that said, it seems very broadcast dependent. Sometimes, an SD broadcast can look pretty darn good in comparison to other SD broadcasts.

Before I got the sammy, I had a 32inch toshiba crt, and when I switched from Comcast SD to RCN HD I was amazed at how much better the RCN picture looked on my tv. Then I got the sammy and was shocked at how such a great image on my Toshibas CRT dropped so significantly in PQ.

I'll upgrade to RCN HD soon, but my tv is mainly used for watching dvds, so I've been in no rush.
post #742 of 1998 Old 10-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andis8853 View Post

Hi,

Also, I'm sitting 11' away, and anyone sitting on my loveseat will be sitting 8-10'-ish away. I'm wondering if I've purchased a set that is too big for my viewing distance.

Would I perhaps be happier with PQ on the 4666 set considering the distance? I know that probably sounds like a strange question because the pricing I'm finding is similar and the set size is very close. But...all that aside, I want to be happy with what I'm seeing. I'd be hesitant on the 4266 after reading about it here.

Any and all feedback and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

I think I may be in the same boat as you. I just bought the same TV and am sitting only about 6'-7' away and am not happy with the picture. It looks like crap. Is the TV simply too large for my room? It was only about $120 more than the 42" and I couldn't pass it up. But watching football on regular cable made me think I made a huge mistake, it was bad. I had to go to bed and watch it on my 11 year old 27" Toshiba, and it looked awesome compared to my new TV. DVDs didn't look any better, still very grainy. My old 35" RCA direct view looked better.
post #743 of 1998 Old 10-02-2006, 03:47 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I know that there are calculations out there for distance vs. size, but was wondering how it turned out in a real-life situation.

Any and all feedback welcome!
post #744 of 1998 Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Have any of you with PQ issues adjusted your contrast or brightness?
A 50 In is ok at 8 ft or more. Ii have Dish and OTA. As long as I have a good signal the PQ is great. Over half of bad PQ is from a bad signal and a poorly set up TV.

Aka- Fr8mvr
post #745 of 1998 Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andis8853 View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I know that there are calculations out there for distance vs. size, but was wondering how it turned out in a real-life situation.

Any and all feedback welcome!

I was having the same problem for a while but with a full HD setup on the tv I am def sticking with the 5086. I have the TV set up so that it's in the corner of the room. The couch facing it makes it so one person is about 6.5 feet while the other person on the end is about 8 feet. I also have a futon which is about 9 feet away. Ok, enough about the spacing setup. What do you have hooked up to the TV, because whatever signal you are displaying is going to make a HUGE difference. I have the Comcast DVR box with the HD hookup and about 40 HD channels. NOTE: (for those of you with Comcast HD boxes, you can change the video settings by pressing the menu button while the box is off. You will then be able to change how the SD channels are viewed either by normal, 4:3, or stretch. You will also be able to change what def the cable comes in at, either 420p, 720p, or 1080i which is what I have it set as since most of the HD channels are broadcasted in 1080i.) I have the tv connected via HDMI,(note: component works just as well for anyone who isn't a veteran videophile), to the cable box. From that close, Standard definition channels look like crap... However, the 40 or so HD channels look amazing from all three distances I have set up. Keep in mind even some of the HD channels will have some significant differences in quality. For instance the Discovery HD channel has hands down the best HD signal broadcasting on TV. When you watch one of the shows on the Discovery Channel in HD on that 50inch screen... well you just know you've made the right decision. So, yes, there is a trade off, from that close Standard Definition tv doesn't look that great, but any HD programming looks amazing and its worth it. It also depends on how long you plan on keeping the tv. If it's a long term investment, keep in mind that more HD channels will be coming and the HD signal will get better. Also you may move or change your room around and it's always better to have a bigger tv than a smaller one for a problem. But all in all, I would rather have the 50 inch from any of those distances for HD football games on Sundays when I have people over and put up with the mediocre SD channels when I watch the daily show or something not on network HD, HBO HD, ESPN HD, and Discovery HD which covers most of what I watch.

As far as my dvd experience on this tv is concerned, I have the Sony DVP-NS75H DVD Single Disc Player with the HDMI. I only paid 100 bucks for it, thinking that the HDMI and progressive scan would make the dvd's come out in high def and look great. But the reality is, my crouching tiger hidden dragon from 8 years ago, before HD, won't come in HD even with the setup. You will need to invest in a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player with Blu-Ray or HD-DVDs for it to look like what you bought your tv to do. Although, I will admit newer movies like Star Wars Revenge of the Sith look great. Not quite Discovery HD quality, but much better than my older dvd's like Crouching Tiger or Braveheart.

I hope this gave you some insight to the 5086 and my experiences with it thus far. I also saved about 800 bucks and bought this tv refurbished. I was a little scared to do so, but it worked great with no problems, and with the money I saved bought a 5 year extended warranty, and full surround sound system.

And finally, for those who complained about the Movie mode being too dark. I couldn't agree more. I tried Eliab's settings and it was just too dark. These are what I use now:

Mode : Standard
Digital NR: On
Dnie: On
Contrast: 62
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0 (note: I have heard as is on my tv, that changing this has no effect and it's permanently set to a factory default)
Color: 50
Tint: 50
Color Tone: Normal

(note: settings will def be different for every model and for every person for sure)
Sorry for the long post guys. I hope this was insightful.
post #746 of 1998 Old 10-03-2006, 06:11 AM

Thanks Net4surfer. Are you saying that if I have a standard progressive scan up-convert dvd with HDMI and I play an HD DVD it'll be in hi def or do I need the HD dvd player as well?

Also, I know I keep bringing it up but is there a general consensus about the sound delay? I've realized that it mostly only occurs when I play audio through my stereo setup and much less so to not at all when the sound comes through the tv. Any others find the same thing? i only ask because I wonder if I should return the set for another one but I won't bother if this is just how the system works. Thanks
post #747 of 1998 Old 10-03-2006, 09:04 AM

Can someone tell me how to access the service menu on the HLS-5086W? I did a search of this thread and came up empty. Sorry if I missed it somehwere else.

I have a crappy old Mustek DVD player and am not happy with the picture. I was gonna pick up a Sony DVP-NS75H tonight and try it out. Net4surfer, how would you say the PQ is? I know you said it's not quite HD, but is it still good? The Mustek I am using leaves a lot to be desired, but it was only $30. I guess you get what you pay for. Are there any other models you guys recommend? I've read good stuff about Oppo, but really wanted to buy the player locally.

Also, I'm still on the fence about keeping the 5086 or taking it back for a 42" DLP or even a 42" plasma. My room is kind of small, I'm about 6 -7 feet away. My SD channels all look awful, but I believe the problem is a weak signal from Time Warner. They will be at my home Thursday and hopefully will boost the signal. I got an outsatnding deal on the 50" so I kind of want to keep it, but I fear it may simply be too big for the room.

Thanks for all your help.
post #748 of 1998 Old 10-03-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks Net4surfer. Are you saying that if I have a standard progressive scan up-convert dvd with HDMI and I play an HD DVD it'll be in hi def or do I need the HD dvd player as well?

Also, I know I keep bringing it up but is there a general consensus about the sound delay? I've realized that it mostly only occurs when I play audio through my stereo setup and much less so to not at all when the sound comes through the tv. Any others find the same thing? i only ask because I wonder if I should return the set for another one but I won't bother if this is just how the system works. Thanks

You would need to buy an HD DVD player to play HD dvds and the same for Blu-Ray. I have heard that the Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player is the best but I don't have any personal experience with it. As far as the Sony DVP-S75 is concerned I have found that for some dvds it makes a large difference and for some none at all. But for the small difference even for some dvds makes it worth it. Plus it's one of the cheapest, best performing, HDMI dvd players out there. If you have the 400-600 bucks to buy an HD DVD player than do it, because it does have backwards compatibility, so it will play regular dvds and upconvert them, but for a budget shopper like myself, the Sony will work fine as long as you have it connected via HDMI.
post #749 of 1998 Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 PM

...with luck but aren't too smart , being both I know this to be an incontrovertible fact, here's my dumb luck story ;-)

I received a much anticapated HLS5686 delivery this morning. I bought the TV on-line from the big 'A' at a good price with free delivery. I had done much in the way of preparation, I built a stand from a couple of 28" deep x 18" dia buckets which I screwed to a couple of 1x10x6 pieces of shiplap and used an old wool throw I had as a drape, an instant and cheap stand.

Eagle was the delivery carrier. They sent two men and they carried the TV into my living room, uncrated it, put it on the stand, connected the power cord, fired up the TV and took the packaging away. I was pleasently surprised as I've had several curbside deliveries that were just that, props to Eagle. I'm a scrooge but I just had to give the guys 20 bucks for the no-hassle, no charge delivery.

Now I'm alone with my brand spankin' new big screen TV and the fun begins...

I had run all the cables from the various devices, component and hdmi from the cable box, component from the DVD player and hdmi from the 'puter to the TV's location. I connected all the cables, fired the TV and the picture SUCKED!¡! Major Green all over the screen from the component cable box inputs, hdmi from the box was inverse color and the picture wouldn't stabilize but the picture from the 'puter was flawless.

I spent a couple of hours playing with the various settings, concentrating on the cable box component input to no avail, the picture was good but had a green thing. I gave up an decided I wuld call Samsung tomorrow to schedule service.

I had a couple of beers and realized I had not connected the cable feed so before I cursed the TV again I decided to do a basic cable channel scan. When I reached behind the cable box to find the feed, a bright flash caught my eye...there was good display on the screen!¡! One of the component cables was loose, two hours of needless frustration.

I'm now watching the Yankee game and the picture is fantastic! I can see individual blades of grass when the show a closeup.

The hdmi feed from the box is still unwatchable, any idea's on that?

/Grey

My other car is a Galaxy class starship...
post #750 of 1998 Old 10-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

read this about the green tint
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8549984
are you sure your cable company has activated the HDMI output of your box?

Aka- Fr8mvr
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page