Samsung HL-S6767W - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1715 Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have DISH Network with the HD DVR hooked up thru HDMI connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1715 Old 02-27-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post

Have DISH Network with the HD DVR hooked up thru HDMI connection.

DISH does heavy compression which may be part of your problem. The best to worst signals for TV if eveything else is equal would be, OTA, Cable, and Satalitte because of compression differences.

What do DVDs look like?
post #1353 of 1715 Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Ok, I am sure everyone is tired of me talking about the Costco Return Policy issue, so this will be the last.

They now have flyers available that explains the services they will be offering, including the 90 day return/refund issue, Free technical assistance, the warranty up to 2 years, and even now an in-home installation option.

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content.../concierge.PDF
post #1354 of 1715 Old 02-27-2007, 07:43 PM

Hiya everyone! Got my wall unit and HL-S6767W delivered last Friday. Love the picture right out of the box. Watched Talledega Nights on my PS3...WOW. I have many regular dvds and it seems CGI ones like Toy Story, Shrek, Over The Hedge look the best on my old dvd player. I am truly impressed by this TV, and also glad I purchased it from costco.com in the beginning of February. Directv is installing my new HD/DVR and dish on Thursday. The Directv person told me there will be 150 channels in HD by the end of the year, they are rolling out the first 25 additional ones in August. I haven't done any sort of calibration on the TV yet, but I will soon. I'd love to post a picture of the TV in the wall unit, but alas when you click the Insert Image button it doesn't let you browse to an image, it just says Enter The Text To Be Formatted. I have no idea what that is.
post #1355 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 06:14 AM

DVD looks terrific.
That scrren effect looks like it is a screen covering. Can only see it on the light to white colors, but it is there, on most channels.

I am sure I will get used to it after awhile.

Thanks
post #1356 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

So finally here is my picture.

As you can see, I am not that different from the most of you abusers .

HDMI switchbox with remote to be added soon to the poor shelf.

What is there:

- modem
- router
- component switchbox
-Avel LinkPlayer 2
- Slingbox Pro
-central speaker
-DirecTV HD receiver
- antenna

I will probably take a better picture tomorrow.

Cheers guys.

After seeing yours and evidence's setup, I'm really worried about nothing. I just need to find a way to place it above the DVR (whose vents are all on top of the unit) so the bottom of the PS3 won't get too hot.

Samsung LN52A650
FiOS HD-DVR - HDMI to tv
Pioneer 600w HTIAB
XBox 360 - component to tv / fiber to rcvr
PS3 - HDMI to TV
post #1357 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddie O View Post

Hiya everyone! Got my wall unit and HL-S6767W delivered last Friday. Love the picture right out of the box. Watched Talledega Nights on my PS3...WOW. I have many regular dvds and it seems CGI ones like Toy Story, Shrek, Over The Hedge look the best on my old dvd player. I am truly impressed by this TV, and also glad I purchased it from costco.com in the beginning of February. Directv is installing my new HD/DVR and dish on Thursday. The Directv person told me there will be 150 channels in HD by the end of the year, they are rolling out the first 25 additional ones in August. I haven't done any sort of calibration on the TV yet, but I will soon. I'd love to post a picture of the TV in the wall unit, but alas when you click the Insert Image button it doesn't let you browse to an image, it just says Enter The Text To Be Formatted. I have no idea what that is.

Glad to hear you enjoy your unit. I popped in TALADEGA NIGHTS and have to say I wasn't overly impressed. Not the best of choice for showing off the Blu-Ray 'power'. KING KONG on HD-DVD I saw looks awesome. Any suggestions as to a really WOW Blu-Ray title?

Samsung LN52A650
FiOS HD-DVR - HDMI to tv
Pioneer 600w HTIAB
PS3 - HDMI to TV
post #1358 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 AM

I noticed that Costco.com no longer has this model on the website as of today as well. They havent fully rolled out the new policy on returns yet either. I still have till March 19th here in Texas to get the unlimited return time policy. Now to finish convincing the wife!
post #1359 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Ok, figured out its not the SDE I am seeing, but the SSE effect that is apparent.
Never had this on my CRT, guess I need to get a Pro Calib. done.

Anyone know of a Pro calibrator in the Little Rock AR. area?

Scott
post #1360 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Ok, figured out its not the SDE I am seeing, but the SSE effect that is apparent.
Never had this on my CRT,

Did you have a direct view CRT or a CRT based RPTV?

What I use SSE (Silk Screen Effect) to describe is this.

In order to decrease reflections, increase contrast, and increase brightness for the viewer of a RPTV a special type of "fresnel lens" screen is used. One layer of the screen has grooves cut to reject external light, and to concentrate projected light in the normal viewing area.

The unintended side effect is that if your attention shifts from the image to the screen itself you see the pattern of the "fresnel" grooves. It's my impression that over the past four years the "pattern" has gotten finer and more regular in appearance.

Some people, probably with their contrast turned way up, see sparkles too. I assume that's the result of too much brightness reflecting off of the "fresnel" grooves.

Others describe a very light silk cloth stretched over the image. That's what I see, but the cloth seems to me to be under the image.

Maybe this will also help.

Silk Screen Effect (SSE)

Quote:

guess I need to get a Pro Calib. done.

Anyone know of a Pro calibrator in the Little Rock AR. area?

Scott

A very good calibrator may be able to make SSE less noticeable, but it's not a sure thing. UMR is outstanding and lives in Texas. I don't know if he travels to Little Rock, but it's possible.

If you haven't tried it yet, you might want to get a copy of the DVE calibration disk and try that first. Check the Eliab link at the bottom of my post.
post #1361 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor360 View Post

Glad to hear you enjoy your unit. I popped in TALADEGA NIGHTS and have to say I wasn't overly impressed. Not the best of choice for showing off the Blu-Ray 'power'. KING KONG on HD-DVD I saw looks awesome. Any suggestions as to a really WOW Blu-Ray title?

Flyboys in Blu-Ray is very good. Much better that Talladega Nights. However, almost anything looks great on this TV. Most regular DVDs on the PS3 look great (better than two upconversion players I tried out, by the way). Also, in response to another comment, the OTA signal is much better than the Dish signal I get. However, at least in Redding, California, the Dish signal is better than the local cable HD or the Direct signal.

One last thing, does anyone know if there are plans for a firmware upgrade to this TV to allow for HDMI 1.3? Or is this even a possibility? Or, does it even matter? I was told when I was buying this TV that Mitsubishi DLP TVs will be given a firmware upgrade for HDMI 1.3. Maybe this was just smoke being blown up my xxx by a guy trying to push the Mits TV.
post #1362 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelson View Post

One last thing, does anyone know if there are plans for a firmware upgrade to this TV to allow for HDMI 1.3? Or is this even a possibility?

It's not possible without new hardware.

Quote:
Or, does it even matter?

Probably not.

Quote:
I was told when I was buying this TV that Mitsubishi DLP TVs will be given a firmware upgrade for HDMI 1.3.

Mitsubishi may do firmware updates but it won't include HDMI 1.3 unless the hardware is already in the set. What are the chances that's the case?

I pass through Redding twice every year. Sometimes at 70MPH. Your sales people are full of the same stuff that I find in Silicon Valley sales persons.
post #1363 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 PM

I bought a HL-67667W less than a month ago from Costco and have watched it at the most around 20 hours. This evening I turned it on and after about 30 seconds the picture went blank and all three led lights on the power button began to blink. I turned the set off and on several times but this continued to happen. I read in the manual that this is the sign for the lamp to be replaced. Is this possible?? Will it be covered under warranty?
post #1364 of 1715 Old 02-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Just got my TV....incredible picture.

Xbox Live gamertag: majestc12
post #1365 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belusch View Post

The rebate you are referring to was not a rebate but a coupon that was offered on the 6767 during the week in a half prior to the SuperBowl. During this time, the tv was discounted from $2999 to $2499. Costco has since raised the price back up to the $2999.

The Costco in Tukwila, WA advertised it as a $500 instant manufacturer's rebate. They even moved the 6767 display model to a spot near the entrance during the sale. On my receipt, it showed up as "CPN/116767" in the amount of $500.
post #1366 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-guy View Post

I bought a HL-67667W less than a month ago from Costco and have watched it at the most around 20 hours. This evening I turned it on and after about 30 seconds the picture went blank and all three led lights on the power button began to blink. I turned the set off and on several times but this continued to happen. I read in the manual that this is the sign for the lamp to be replaced. Is this possible?? Will it be covered under warranty?

20 hours and your bulb possibly went out already? Bummer dude. Have you tried to turn it on/off again since then? Getting the same thing? I'm pretty sure that if that's the case, I'd be asking for a whole new set. Whether or not you'll get it though, I dunno. Let us know what they say though.

Samsung LN52A650
FiOS HD-DVR - HDMI to tv
Pioneer 600w HTIAB
PS3 - HDMI to TV
post #1367 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 AM

Yes ... turned it on and off many times. Still happening this morning. I called Samsung and they are sending someone out from a local shop to look at it.
post #1368 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 AM

check your manual to see what the blinking lights means.
post #1369 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM

It means to replace the bulb.
post #1370 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 AM

Wish you luck e-guy. The one thing that I like so far is that if I'm not able to get TV replaced due to bulb burning out, and I no longer have a warranty at some point, the bulb isn't outrageously expensive. Less then $200 last time I checked. When I was at Fry's, and the 'expert' was telling the wife and I the downfalls of owning a rear-projection set vs. lcd, he said "Oh yeah, the bulb will have to be replaced with that TV, and it'll run you $350-$500.". I just kept my mouth quiet, nodded my head and then later told the wife the real facts. They're just trying to make a buck, but don't completely mislead people like that.. sheesh.

Samsung LN52A650
FiOS HD-DVR - HDMI to tv
Pioneer 600w HTIAB
PS3 - HDMI to TV
post #1371 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 AM

Doggone! I just heard about the new Costco return policy. I was set to pull the trigger on this TV during the $2499 sale period, but I decided to wait. Argghh.

I had no intention of returning the TV unless it had a problem, and I understand why Costco is changing their policy: I assumed that they couldn't keep up this kind of policy for very long. However, I don't think that I have a good reason to buy from Costco now. I'll search for the cheapest price at a trusted seller and buy an extended warranty. I don't understand what Costco means by extending the manufacturer's warranty from one to two years...will Costco pay for needed service or repairs? I'll consider buying from Sam's Club online if they keep their unlimited time return policy, but they don't refund shipping, and I'm not sure if they would pick up a TV to return. I should have said that I won't buy a TV at a Costco or Sam's store because I don't want to rent a truck and ask friends to help me load and unload the item...plus, a return would be a similar hassle.

Shoot, I should have purchased this last month. Sorry, I'm just venting.

Congrats to all of you who got in on this great deal.
post #1372 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 AM

Thanks Htwaits,

I have the DVE disk, but it hasn't been easy to work with and not much help.
I just play around with the setting until I am happy. The DISH DVR signal just must be crap coming in for the SD channels.

How do you get the OTA signals? Was looking at trying that for the local HD channels that are broadcast.

Also, not sure if a Pro Calib is really worth it if the signal coming in is still crap. Sure, the HD and BD movies will look good, but probabely not do much for crappy SD channels.

Thanks again,
Scott
post #1373 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have the DVE disk, but it hasn't been easy to work with and not much help.

Did you use Eliab's tutorial when you tried the DVE disk?

You are right, nothing can help a bad signal.
post #1374 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 11:58 AM

question about gamma on the 6767w: it seems a given on the general HLS-xx87/88 owners thread that a "0" gamma is ideal. Can someone please clarify if the same has been found to hold true on the 6767w? My search of this thread showed some earlier posts talking about a gamma of 4...
Thanks!
post #1375 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocks View Post

question about gamma on the 6767w: it seems a given on the general HLS-xx87/88 owners thread that a "0" gamma is ideal. Can someone please clarify if the same has been found to hold true on the 6767w? My search of this thread showed some earlier posts talking about a gamma of 4...
Thanks!

Recollection of previous discussions:

Gamma settings of "0" were for the "R" series DLP's(2005)....the HL-S6767, (2006) being an "S" series, should be set to "4" (sm default)!! I tested mine with a "0" setting, but found "4" looked the Best (more dynamics, less black crush, higher contrast ratio, better color)...All before finding this info below!!

See post #1040 here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...47#post9660147

Hope this helps,
Ted

141" of High Definition - 67" + 42" + 32" !!!
post #1376 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks Ted...it does seem that everyone on the HLS 87/88 thread prefers gamma at zero - i believe this is the recomendation from calibrators such as Eliab. Thus my question to 6767w users...is there a difference for our 'monster' vs. other HLS models?
post #1377 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 01:50 PM

I was under the impression that the hl-s6767w had the same "guts" as the hl-sxx87 models. The gamma curve is most accurate set to 0 on those, so wouldn't it be the same for the 67s? I wouldn't think size would affect gamma...

I'll wait for htwaits to answer this one....
post #1378 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Divine View Post

I'll wait for htwaits to answer this one....

All HLS 1080p lamp based models have identical guts except for the way they react to turning overscan OFF in the SM.

All 1080p HLS sets come from the factory with slightly different default calibration settings. Each set needs to be calibrated individually.

I think that UMR has pointed out that GAMMA set to zero is not the best setting for the sets that he has calibrated.

What do I think? I have no idea, because my poor set is a HLP (GAMMA = 0 ), and it was calibrated by SethS in June of 2005.
post #1379 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 PM

Hey guys!
Brand new to these forums....getting ready to buy the Sammy 67(back up on the Costco site btw) but now Costco also has a JVC 70" for the same price...anyone have any input on this 70"JVC set compared to the Sammy?
Thanks in advance,Bob
post #1380 of 1715 Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

All HLS 1080p lamp based models have identical guts except for the way they react to turning overscan OFF in the SM.

All 1080p HLS sets come from the factory with slightly different default calibration settings. Each set needs to be calibrated individually.

I think that UMR has pointed out that GAMMA set to zero is not the best setting for the sets that he has calibrated.

What do I think? I have no idea, because my poor set is a HLP (GAMMA = 0 ), and it was calibrated by SethS in June of 2005.

htwaits,

If I recall i think maybe you mentioned HLS6767W's Built after DEC 2006 having the ability to turn overscan OFF in the SM?

If this is the case I would be glad to test this as I have one with a build date of Jan 2007. If you could point me to a step by step guide on how to access the SM. Or perhaps a HLS6767W SM Guide for Dummys

Thanks for Your Time
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page