Samsung HL-S6767W - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1715 Old 06-26-2006, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I replaced my Mitsubishi DLP 720p set with the HL-S6767WY from Costco. After I hooked it up to my cable, I couldn't received the PBS HD, ABC HD, and other local HD programs any more. I don't have a HD receiver since I only subscribe to a basic cable service.

I wonder if anyone has luck to receive the local HD program with HL-S6767W without using HD receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1715 Old 06-26-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymind View Post

I replaced my Mitsubishi DLP 720p set with the HL-S6767WY from Costco. After I hooked it up to my cable, I couldn't received the PBS HD, ABC HD, and other local HD programs any more. I don't have a HD receiver since I only subscribe to a basic cable service.

I wonder if anyone has luck to receive the local HD program with HL-S6767W without using HD receiver.

I receive all our local HD signals (and the rest in SD) via antenna.

Honestly, I have not heard of HD signals passed on by cable companies on basic cable -- which is usually analog. You usually have to subscribe to a digital tier via cablecard or STB. You might find out how your cable company does it. Also, which coax port did you use on the set -- there are two separate ones, one each for antenna and cable.
post #183 of 1715 Old 06-26-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsplayer View Post

Honestly, I have not heard of HD signals passed on by cable companies on basic cable -- which is usually analog. You usually have to subscribe to a digital tier via cablecard or STB. You might find out how your cable company does it. Also, which coax port did you use on the set -- there are two separate ones, one each for antenna and cable.

How does your cable SD look on this TV? YOu have digital SD?
post #184 of 1715 Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM

Can someone pls confirm the contrast ratio of the Costco model for me?

On Samsung's web site, if you look at the 'key specs' for the 6767, it says "up to 10,000:1", but when you compare it to another model, it says 2500:1. WTH?

Obviously a bug on their site, and I'm guessing the 10k:1 is correct, but want to be sure before I drive all the way down to Fairfax/Chantilly to check one out in person.

TIA.
post #185 of 1715 Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
hschultz,

Getting a lot of rain??

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #186 of 1715 Old 06-26-2006, 06:26 PM

ahhhhhh...you could say that. dc (we're about 20 miles west) got 5.5" yesterday. and it's still coming down. i just saw two deer, two llamas, and two gorillas walking side-by-side past the front of our place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

hschultz,

Getting a lot of rain??

post #187 of 1715 Old 06-26-2006, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thompson View Post

Cost, perhaps the 71" does not sell at a high enough volume to warrant a new case?

I think I like last years floating casing better anyway. look at the case of the 6187 on the samsung site which is the same as all the other new HL-S and its nothing special so that isn't a downfall to me really other then ppl thinking you have the older one.

I wish the price would drop a little though even from costco. Was going to wait until i finished my basement in the fall to get this so as to wait to move thecurrent 60" rp lcd tv down but am anxious to get one of those especially for the thrill of the chase of finding a costco with one.

i'd prob have to rent a truck from Home depot or lowes though as i dont think my midsize suv could fit the box and too risk to take it out of box to fit.

then i have borrow costco card from parents and write them a check or something to pay for it.

plus still have to locate one in my area. a lot of trouble.

any chance of the price coming down on these by end of summer/fall? other stores getting? so is there really any rush or might they not carry it anymore once they sell the initial stock? then it would be more urgent.

i dont think its ever urgent with a tv as price always go down and new better models always come out but i'm liking this deal.

other thins is there is a class action law suit on the current 60" i have but i dont think i'm eligible to collect anythign on it and the offered options aren't that appealing.
post #188 of 1715 Old 06-26-2006, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenee326 View Post

Anyone hear anything about a possible 67" model in the newer smaller cases possibly coming out this year?

For me, its a shame that this damn thing is 4/10" too wide.

yeah that is a good point. I think it fits fine for me but i did notice the new casing has a slight thinner bezel making the set look like all screen which is cool and saves space. STill i like the floating design. its at least something itneresting where as the new one is just thin bezel but nothing else interesting or special at all.
post #189 of 1715 Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 AM

hello all,

i'm just reporting about one of my costcos in fresno... they are selling the display now for the hl-s6767w, but it wasn't even 10% off, but a good deal nonetheless. i have one still in box so i didn't get it.

just to let you know, the tag said something like "unknown availability". i assume meaning they didn't know if they were ever getting more in, b/c when i went looking for mine they said it would be a regular item. sounds like these will be disappearing and not coming back for a while, if at all.

if you want one, get it now if you can find it.

g'luck

ps i guess we are all second rate citizens now and the percent is even higher for stores not having them
post #190 of 1715 Old 06-27-2006, 01:51 PM

Here's a couple pics of my 6767 with custom cabinet...the dang camera died after two shots, so I'll hopefully take some more soon.
LL
LL
post #191 of 1715 Old 06-27-2006, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice. I saw that penguin show on KCET the other night. Funny how this huge beast of a set does not even look that big in those pics.
post #192 of 1715 Old 06-27-2006, 05:58 PM

I read on someones post that the 6767 does not have iris control like the 6187, but I cant find it again to quote it. Does anyone know the difference between the 6767 and 6187 besides the usb port and the six inches of course?
post #193 of 1715 Old 06-28-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsplayer View Post

Thanks for your reply. I talked to a Samsung HD expert, he told me that HL-S6767W is not a digital cable ready set (it doesn't come with a cablecard slot). My previous DLP set (Mitsubishi WD61xxx) has a cablecard slot, I believe that is why I can receive the Comcast local HD programs with basic cable service.

HL-S6767W is able to receive the local HD programs from the antenna, but unfortunately, I don't have one. I will need to rent a HD receiver from Comcast.
post #194 of 1715 Old 06-28-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety View Post

Nice. I saw that penguin show on KCET the other night. Funny how this huge beast of a set does not even look that big in those pics.

That's because the entertainment center is massive - a little over 12' long and almost 8' high . My wife likes the fact that the TV doesn't overpower the room.

I've found myself watching shows I never would have before...just for the WOW factor.
post #195 of 1715 Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsantagonist View Post

hello all,

i'm just reporting about one of my costcos in fresno... they are selling the display now for the hl-s6767w, but it wasn't even 10% off, but a good deal nonetheless. i have one still in box so i didn't get it.

just to let you know, the tag said something like "unknown availability". i assume meaning they didn't know if they were ever getting more in, b/c when i went looking for mine they said it would be a regular item. sounds like these will be disappearing and not coming back for a while, if at all.

if you want one, get it now if you can find it.

g'luck

ps i guess we are all second rate citizens now and the percent is even higher for stores not having them

I don't know. Two stores in my area originally got 4 units each and sold all of them. They are currently left only with the display models.

I have been calling my local Costco's fairly regularly (Sacramento area) and none of them are getting new stock, but several Costco staff have told me "this is a New Item and I'm sure we're going to get more...it just doesn't say when it's expected."

It seems pointless to me for Samsung to release the TV and only sell a few of these.

Dave
post #196 of 1715 Old 06-28-2006, 06:37 PM

Visalia Costco is down to the floor sample.
post #197 of 1715 Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thompson View Post

Visalia Costco is down to the floor sample.

I called a Bay Area Costco (thought...OK, I'll drive 65 miles I suppose) and she checked surrounding stores for stock...every one of them was floor model only. WTF?

Pretty much all of Northern California seems to be all floor models. Seems to me all these unsold floor models would negate any profits of the few models they DID sell. (If in fact, as others suggested, this is it...no more)

Dave
post #198 of 1715 Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdoubleo View Post

(If in fact, as others suggested, this is it...no more)

Why not assume that Samsung is having a problem producing enough 2006 models of all types to meet unexpected high demand?

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #199 of 1715 Old 06-28-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Why not assume that Samsung is having a problem producing enough 2006 models of all types to meet unexpected high demand?

Well that's why I said "as others stated". I'm saying that I don't think we've seen the end of these models as others were suggesting.

Is that the case, that you know of? In my area, stores don't seem to have a problem keeping the 6187's in stock at all. All four BB's around me have them in stock. Further, it seems the 6767's were developed (at least initially) for the Costco market, which Samsung should be VERY familiar with.

I know of 3 Costco's in the Sacramento area that have had these TV's and each has sold only the first allotment of 4 units. (according to the information I got from their sales people). So that's 12 units sold. In an area like Sacramento that isn't what I call high demand.

But either way, I'm hoping it's just simply a new product and it's taking a while to establish estimates for stock and within a month or so we'll start seeing them show up on shelves...err...floors.

All I know is that since the idea of the 67 entered my my head, the 61 is no longer good enough.

Dave
post #200 of 1715 Old 06-28-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Go big. You won't be dissapointed. I love my set more everyday.

Last night I fired up my 56" ISF calibrated Samsung RP CRT that is in the kids bonus room. I used to love this thing, but it really looks like dog crap when compared to the HLS-6767W.

I am sure Costco will get more in stock. I bought mine in Rancho Cucamonga where they sold all 4 of their stock the same day.
post #201 of 1715 Old 07-05-2006, 12:04 AM

Can some one PM Me the price for this, and a costco model # so i can start calling the local costco's to see if they have it in stock.

Thanks a bunch.
post #202 of 1715 Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzcode View Post

How does your cable SD look on this TV? YOu have digital SD?

All channels in my market are broadcast in analog and SD, with some also in HD. For some examples, our PBS OTA broadcasts in analog, SD and HD. Another PBS has no HD, but broadcasts in analog and in SD along with 2 other SD versions. NBC has analog, HD, Weather and RawNews. With all of these, you only get them through the ATSC tuner.

I do not subscribe to cable -- don't care for the our provider or their pricing -- satellite offers much more and in our area, rain fade isn't an issue.

My understanding is most cable systems will only pass along one channel from each station, so if you connect to OTA, you can get many more channels.
post #203 of 1715 Old 07-05-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plucero13 View Post

I read on someones post that the 6767 does not have iris control like the 6187, but I cant find it again to quote it. Does anyone know the difference between the 6767 and 6187 besides the usb port and the six inches of course?

A few pages earlier in this thread, I posted the following -- repeated here:

Besides the cabinet (floating screen) difference, there are also three other things this set doesn't have compared to the HLSXX87 series: no SRS surround, no DAC speakers and no Wiselink application for showing pictures/playing MP3 via a USB port.

And, of course the HLSXX88 series also adds over the HLSXX87series Cablecard, PIP, TV Guide and Anynet(1394) ports.

--------------------------------------

On a side note, here is my summary of Samsung's 2006 1080p model numbering:

HLS means 7th Gen
Next two digits are the screen size (e.g. HLS67)
Next digit is the cabinet (6=floating screen,7=picture frame,8=hidden speaker)
Last digit is the feature set (7=standard 1080p feature set, 8=upgraded 1080p feature set,9=LED light source
post #204 of 1715 Old 07-07-2006, 07:16 AM

Local Costco is also down to just the floor model but is expecting 2 more within the next few days.

This set has an ATSC tuner but no CableCARD or PIP? Odd...
post #205 of 1715 Old 07-07-2006, 02:05 PM

No 6767's in CT. I checked the entire NE and they were limited to two stores which I believe were in VA. The Costco model number is 116767. Unfortunately no ETA as of yet.

By the way, everyone says Costco's extended warranty is great. How long would you return this TV? I mean manufacturer's warrany is one year. AMEX gives you another year. What about year 3? I don't think I'd have the b***s to return a TV set 3 years later.
post #206 of 1715 Old 07-07-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post

No 6767's in CT. I checked the entire NE and they were limited to two stores which I believe were in VA. The Costco model number is 116767. Unfortunately no ETA as of yet.

By the way, everyone says Costco's extended warranty is great. How long would you return this TV? I mean manufacturer's warrany is one year. AMEX gives you another year. What about year 3? I don't think I'd have the b***s to return a TV set 3 years later.

The Costco I spoke of above is the Nashua, NH store.

Return it whenever you want, Costco membership reps have gone around stressing that service.
post #207 of 1715 Old 07-07-2006, 09:28 PM

well i took the plung and drove to the chantilly costco 1 hr away and pu one half way setup so far so good looks great will post pics and comments in the next couple of days
post #208 of 1715 Old 07-08-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsid05 View Post

The Costco I spoke of above is the Nashua, NH store.

Return it whenever you want, Costco membership reps have gone around stressing that service.

Hmm, the rep I spoke with didn't mention NH. That's definitely farther than I want to drive at 3 hours from me.

I'll have to confirm the "whenever you want" return policy because it sounds too good to be true. I know they're lenient but if I return a 4-5 year old TV for full value they're not going to look at me sideways?
post #209 of 1715 Old 07-08-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post

Hmm, the rep I spoke with didn't mention NH. That's definitely farther than I want to drive at 3 hours from me.

I'll have to confirm the "whenever you want" return policy because it sounds too good to be true. I know they're lenient but if I return a 4-5 year old TV for full value they're not going to look at me sideways?

That's where I purchased mine (Nashua, NH) about 3 weeks ago. They were the only Costco near me (MA) that had them at the time. I'll be getting it professionally calibrated in the next month or so, at which point I'll post details.
post #210 of 1715 Old 07-08-2006, 09:43 AM

Greetings all, been lurking awhile. I discovered the 6767 by accident a few weeks ago while exploring the idea of getting a new tv. Someone suggested looking at CostCo so the wife and I stopped by. The 6767 stood out from all the others. I took some pictures with the camera phone, had the wife write down the model number then later searched the web and found this forum. I compared everything else I was looking at with the 6767. I even thought about waiting until the new Sony's come out. Finally decided the Samsung was the best way to go so I bought it. I took the last one in the box at the Southlake, TX CostCo. It's an absolutely wonderful tv and as many have said already, I find myself watching stuff I would never have watched before e.g. baseball and World Cup. Now my delimma is trying to hold off buying an XBox 360 and waiting for the PS3. This is a great forum for regular guys trying to figure out what's important when making this type of purchase decision.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page