Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 4703 Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

There are settings to change, but they only remedy the problem partially. The overall fix for the HDMI problems is a changeout of one of the boards in there, making sure the tech - watch him like a hawk on this - LEAVES THE DCU BOARD THAT CAME WITH THE SET, IN THE SET!

That that DCU board does not go back with the service tech, still on the old board. That it STAYS WITH YOUR SET.

b

Is this service covered under a recall or anything? I bought the set used and I really don't want to invest a ton of money in it.

Thanks everyone for all of the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4703 Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This fix was offered by Hitachi free for a couple of years, DK if it's still being offered.

Whether your set was purchased new or given to you free, that set is still a killer set and deserves the finest of care and attention. If someone gave you the pink slip to a Lamborghini and it needed a $500 tune-up, would you answer the same way and decline on doing the tune-up because that would cost you more than the car did?

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #4683 of 4703 Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post

Is this service covered under a recall or anything? I bought the set used and I really don't want to invest a ton of money in it.

Thanks everyone for all of the help!

You could, of course, just not use the HDMI input.
Enjoy your "new" set.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #4684 of 4703 Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

This fix was offered by Hitachi free for a couple of years, DK if it's still being offered.

Whether your set was purchased new or given to you free, that set is still a killer set and deserves the finest of care and attention. If someone gave you the pink slip to a Lamborghini and it needed a $500 tune-up, would you answer the same way and decline on doing the tune-up because that would cost you more than the car did?

b

Though I appreciate your logic, it has an obvious flaw... I paid $365 for this TV in 2008 and if it needs $300 in repair then that's like repairing a used car instead of buying a new one for the same price. Except exotic cars like Lambos appreciate, TV's don't.

Past that, my TV had a hard life before I bought it. It came with a cracked screen, which at the time of purchase cost almost as much to replace as I paid for the TV (UPS oversized shipping charges for the screen from Hitachi were like $175). So, between what my research has shown for the price of that board and the cost to repair the screen (which I did not replace) I would be rapidly approaching just buying a new TV and using this one as the most pimp bedroom TV of all time (and removing it from all of the HDMI gear in the HT rig).

All that said, I'll probably give Hitachi a ring and see what they say. I will update the forum so others will know if the service is still being provided. I do appreciate all of the advice and help, but I'm not sinking more than the opportunity cost of a vacation day into the repair of this TV.
post #4685 of 4703 Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

With the prices of these sets these days, no contest. Find a well treated one and off this one for half what you paid for it, if you can get it. Or even give it away.

For $350 or less you can probably find a well treated set as good as yours is or better, in today's used market climate. And it could be a Mit or a Pioneer to replace yours, it would not have to stay a Hit.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #4686 of 4703 Old 11-25-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

This was just posted on another thread, thought I'd share it with you here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by najames View Post

Holy Cow Dave Harper!!! You said ISF is in Florida, so I decided to see where they're located. They're about 5-10 minutes from my house!! Didn't even know it, too darned funny.

I have an elderly Pioneer SD-532HD5 like this one.

http://www4.shopping.com/xFS?KW=pion...Video&FD=85747

I might just need to have this thing calibrated some day. It works OK and has been moved across the country twice, in storage for a couple years, never been touched except when I used the Avia disk set it up initially and when I moved here in Boca Raton 3 years ago.

Just noticed this post in another thread, from way back in '05.

Just so you know, those "elderly" CRT RPTVs are not old, they have a 20 year service life - or more, I've seen it, recently heard about a 29 year old Panny CRT 50" that's still cranking away just fine - and at today's stage are only halfway thru it. I know of an "old" curved screen bounce-off-the-screen Sears CRT whose guns fire at the hinged mirror that you pull out and let fall into place to start it up, that's still cranking away just fine too. We've been looking for someone to take it home and keep it going, or hopefully get it to some sort of video museum, tho I have never actually heard of one...

Well treated by their owners re. usage, light levels and avoidance of screenburn, they are capable of WAY better than new performance, even at 11 years old.

I am being flown all over the country cleaning and calibrating these "elderly" beasts, which are capable of incredible HD, head and shoulders better than a lot of the "affordable" fixed pixel offerings out there in today's marketplace. And better looking in some ways than all fixed pixel offerings.

The main thing that not everybody knows about them is that their optics need to be cleaned yearly, and on some brands - like the Pioneers, be they Elite or non-Elite - the "deeper optics" need it every few years as well. That's because of the air gap between the lens barrels and the CRT coolant covers, where 6 additional surfaces get invaded by dust, soot, smoke and all manner of other airborn contaminants, and thus compromised because of the high voltage turning them into powerful, continuous dust magnets every moment they are powered on. There's 28 optical surfaces in there that need to stay crystal clear, 10 of which get heavily compromised because of the HV. When all 28 surfaces are clean and polished and you have a crystal clear light path again, the results are truly astonishing. Like getting a brand new TV for a simple hour's work.

Just doing this one thing gives your "elderly" set a brand new looking picture - in my area my calibrations are called "The Sparkle Process" - and calibration after that is just incredible icing on the cake.

I started the "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV!" thread here on AVS more than 5 years ago, and it is still going strong, with over 300 complete pages so far and over 9000 posts. If you have a CRT RPTV at all, HD or non-HD, I invite you to go over there and check it out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=327

If you have a CRT RPTV or know someone who does and want info about how to do your optics cleaning with no damage - those soft plastic surfaces in there are incredibly delicate, vulnerable and easily scratched, and any damage to them is permanent - contact me directly, by email or phone. No pm's please!

Thx -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #4687 of 4703 Old 06-03-2013, 11:57 PM

Ok guys this may be a very dead thread but let me ask this:

Is there any PAL support through any firmware on the 51F59A?
Is the firmware downloadable from somewhere, since I am not in a Hitachi support region although the tv was officially purchased from Canada and I have a SD card handy to upgrade the firmware and am willing to do it myself.
post #4688 of 4703 Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I know I went straight to the Hitachi web site and found the area for firmware downloads. I had mine sent to me on disk but I believe there was an option for a computer download and then a disk burn.

Mustang68
post #4689 of 4703 Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Superleo just posted a most exhilarating statement about his fully optimized Hitachi CRT being better than some of the best and most respected flat panels out there.

Post 11 of the 12 -

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499033/looking-for-new-tv-s60-st60-or-f5500#post_23940461

Thanks Leo. Could not have said it better myself.

cool.gif

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #4690 of 4703 Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So if I watch ota channels on this set ,it will be virtual HD and not real HD. It cant just pass the native 1080 signal alone and only upconvert 720 ? thanks for any input.
post #4691 of 4703 Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, had a question. Not sure if anyone is around to answer it but wanted to try. All the inputs on my TV seem to work except the HDMI. Granted, I have only hooked it up to my PS3. From reading the thread, the port should work. Did the HDMI fix, was no help. Figured it wouldn't be since that was to help TVs that at least were getting a signal. Any suggestions? I have tried multiple cords as well.
post #4692 of 4703 Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Try resetting the PS3's video output:

Quote:
If you are changing cables or cannot see an image on the screen, you may need to reset the video output to default settings. To reset the video output:
  1. While the PS3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the touch-sensitive On/Off button on the front of the system until the PS3 beeps a second time (approximately 5 seconds), then release it.
  2. The PS3 will power up, the Video Output Settings will automatically reset to the standard resolution (or detect the current display output settings of your TV/monitor).
https://support.us.playstation.com/a...video-settings

If the PS3 was set to 1080p before had it won't show an image on the Hitachi since it can't accept 1080p.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #4693 of 4703 Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdnls View Post
Did the HDMI fix, .......... I have tried multiple cords as well.
Which HDMI fix? The hardware fix done by Hitachi? If not, that maybe the issue. Also, have you tried your PS3 on another device? Or a different HDMI device on your TV?

Good Luck
post #4694 of 4703 Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM

Hi guys, newbie here. I got the 51F59A manufactured in July 2006 from my boss free of cost. The remote model with this is CLU-4362S. My boss bought this from Canada. Anyways I have been trying endlessly to access the service menu to no avail. The buttons every single one of them in isolation work fine. Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong?

I firstly can't understand how people can so easily press three buttons at a time on the remote.

Here is what I do: tried both connected to a signal, whilst on input 2/air
Press and hold menu button on TV, then pressed menu button together with 8 and select on remote hold them and nothing happens.

Also tried holding menu button on TV, then pressed menu button, whilst holding that then pressed 8 whilst holding both pressed select...nada nothing.

I really want to make use of this TV nicely and would like to tweak it but right now nothing seems possible.
post #4695 of 4703 Old 06-26-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

On the remote, press and hold menu and 8, then release menu and 8 and press select.

But first, get someone to post of video of you pushing all those buttons at once.

post #4696 of 4703 Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
On the remote, press and hold menu and 8, then release menu and 8 and press select.

But first, get someone to post of video of you pushing all those buttons at once.
Whilst the on TV menu button is pressed or not?
post #4697 of 4703 Old 06-26-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think so (but it's been a while, so there's a chance I may be wrong).
You can also press the little blue "service" button inside the set.
Now you have me thinking, since there IS something that you need to hold the menu button on the set to activate, but I don't remember what it is.
PM superleo, he may remember.
Michael

post #4698 of 4703 Old 06-26-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 210
Quote:
I don't think so (but it's been a while, so there's a chance I may be wrong).
You can also press the little blue "service" button inside the set.
Now you have me thinking, since there IS something that you need to hold the menu button on the set to activate, but I don't remember what it is.
PM superleo, he may remember.
Michael
Ahhhh right!!!! like my son would when I can't remember -- "you have brain decease dad"

I'll get my notes out but its been a while here too.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #4699 of 4703 Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 210
Here are the RC settings

- Adjustment mode

- DCU and how to get back to normal mode

And a picture of the remote.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCU and Normal mode Hit.jpg (18.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg adjustment mode Hit.jpg (23.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Hit_Remote_DCAM.jpg (76.0 KB, 0 views)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

Last edited by superleo; 06-26-2014 at 02:51 PM.
post #4700 of 4703 Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

This link still works:
http://www.lbaileyht.com/HitachiDIYGuide.rtf

post #4701 of 4703 Old 06-27-2014, 12:48 AM

So should press all three remote buttons simultaneously or one by one? or press one then lift and press second and lift and then press third?
post #4702 of 4703 Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
That link does work and I want to apply those tweaks but can't enter the menu.
post #4703 of 4703 Old 06-27-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Press and hold the menu button on the TV.
Press and hold the menu button on the remote, whilst (I love that, thanks!) pressing 8 then Select.
Open a beer with your third hand and have a blast.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page