Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

I set up my TV, I used the GetGray DVD, as well as the ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard DVD that Monster publishes.

Do you like that monster dvd? I'm thinking of getting one of these tools and would like one that works well, but is easy to use. I'm hoping I can just go pick one up from a retailer, as I hate to wait for packages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modsquad View Post

Do you like that monster dvd? I'm thinking of getting one of these tools and would like one that works well, but is easy to use. I'm hoping I can just go pick one up from a retailer, as I hate to wait for packages

I like it, especially for setting contrast and brightness with an actual scene. I find the woman completely annoying to listen to though, so I just turn down the volume.

One better way to set contrast and brightness is to use a DVD like Avia, DVE, or GetGray. Find the gray ramp. The type that goes from left to right across your screen. It should have several sections going across the screen in varying amounts of IRE, from darkest to lightest. If you can adjust the set to be able to see each step in the ramp, your contrast and brightness should be correct. Of course, this is from your DVD player, so other sources may be off a bit. If you have the F59 series, then each input has an individual set of video settings you can adjust, but you can start off with the settings you got from your DVD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 PM

I'm getting my Hitachi delivered tomorrow. Got my digital HD cable the other day.

Question - when watching HD channels, they look like they are in 16:9 format, widescreen, on my old 32" Mitsu. There are grey bars above and below the picture.

Is there a danger of burn-in with this on my Hitachi?

Is this the default color for most HD channels?

Will it still be black above and below when I watch my DVDs that are wide-screen?
post #94 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post

I'm getting my Hitachi delivered tomorrow. Got my digital HD cable the other day.

Question - when watching HD channels, they look like they are in 16:9 format, widescreen, on my old 32" Mitsu. There are grey bars above and below the picture.

Is there a danger of burn-in with this on my Hitachi?

Is this the default color for most HD channels?

Will it still be black above and below when I watch my DVDs that are wide-screen?

HD broadcasts should have no bars........you will set you're HD box to 16:9 when you get you're tv and they will go away

Alot of DVD's are anaphormic widescreen, so if you watch ALOT of those DVD's it might become apparent burn-in in a year or so, again make sure you're DVD player gets set to 16:9
post #95 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post

HD broadcasts should have no bars........you will set you're HD box to 16:9 when you get you're tv and they will go away

Alot of DVD's are anaphormic widescreen, so if you watch ALOT of those DVD's it might become apparent burn-in in a year or so, again make sure you're DVD player gets set to 16:9

That's seems to be true only if they are broadcasting in 1080i. I have black bars on the broadcasts in 480i and 720p OTA. You can manually override this by changing your ASPECT settings.

And yes, black is the color you'll see for the bars. I've not tried to see if they can be changed to gray or not through the menus, though I hate the look of the gray bars, personally.

post #96 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

That's seems to be true only if they are broadcasting in 1080i. I have black bars on the broadcasts in 480i and 720p OTA. You can manually override this by changing your ASPECT settings.

And yes, black is the color you'll see for the bars. I've not tried to see if they can be changed to gray or not through the menus, though I hate the look of the gray bars, personally.

if it's broadcast in 720p hd then there shouldn't be no black bars period. if your seeing black bars then it's not hd or 720p. hit info on your remote it should tell you. also make sure your tv is set to 16x9 automatic in the tv settings. if the hd channels are showing in 4x3 then something is wrong or it's not 720p/1080i HD. also if it's 4x3 on ota then it will have gray bars if it's not hd atleast on mine it does.
post #97 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

if it's broadcast in 720p hd then there shouldn't be no black bars period. if your seeing black bars then it's not hd or 720p. hit info on your remote it should tell you. also make sure your tv is set to 16x9 automatic in the tv settings. if the hd channels are showing in 4x3 then something is wrong or it's not 720p/1080i HD. also if it's 4x3 on ota then it will have gray bars if it's not hd atleast on mine it does.

no its 4:3 upscaled that should cause black bars...
post #98 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I did hit the info button, that's how I knew it was coming in at 720p. Virtual HD showed to be 1080i. I am also set to automatic aspect. So, something in the broadcast sounds amiss, this was the local news, and probably not shot in HD. I'll watch the same channel tonight, and write down all the data from the info screen.

post #99 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 03:06 PM

So let me see if I have this straight:

When I get my TV, I set the CABLE box to 16:9? And also my Oppo DVD player to 16:9?

And the HD broadcasts will be in the 16:9 aspect, with no bars and take up the whole screen?

And the DVDs will play like that too, or will it still be with black bars above and below like the way they show on my old TV?

And if I watch SD, will it simply fill the whole screen like it does now (I guess that is the 4:3?)
post #100 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So let me see if I have this straight:

When I get my TV, I set the CABLE box to 16:9? And also my Oppo DVD player to 16:9? YES And the HD broadcasts will be in the 16:9 aspect, with no bars and take up the whole screen? YES

And the DVDs will play like that too, or will it still be with black bars above and below like the way they show on my old TV? MOST WILL FILL THE WHOLE SCREEN ( anaphormic )WITH A FEW THAT STILL HAVE BLACK BARS AT THE TOP AND BOTTOM. no burn in unless you watch a ton of dvd's with black bars or pause it like 10 hours straight

And if I watch SD, will it simply fill the whole screen like it does now (I guess that is the 4:3?)

YES IT WILL FILL THE HOLE SCREEN!
post #101 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

no its 4:3 upscaled that should cause black bars...

if your watching it on air input ( over the air that is from antenna) it should show gray bars on 4x3 unless it's stretched in the tv settings/remote or it's HD broadcast. hope this helps
post #102 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 04:49 PM

I'm thinking about getting this TV to mainly watch DVDs with. I have the HD-DVD player and was wondering if this might be something that would be great to play it on.

Any comments or suggestions? I plan on mainly running the HD-DVD player in 1080i. Maybe some video gaming.

PSN: sashaforever
post #103 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambow87 View Post

I'm thinking about getting this TV to mainly watch DVDs with. I have the HD-DVD player and was wondering if this might be something that would be great to play it on.

Any comments or suggestions? I plan on mainly running the HD-DVD player in 1080i. Maybe some video gaming.

This TV will be perfectly fine, you're DVD player upscales so this tv is just fine(gaming is great on it to, i play alot of moto gp....addicting as hell!)

Just buy avia for the appropriate minor color adjustments and this set is awsome for the money.
post #104 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 04:53 PM

So HD-DVDs will look really good on it as well as SD-DVD upconverted?

Also, how heavy is this thing? I read somewhere around 200 lbs.

Also, how far should my viewing distance be?

Thanks again!

post #105 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Also, would you suggest getting an EW for it? And if so, should I get it from CC or BB or wherever this TV is sold (i'm kind of making my first big TV purchase, hehe, so i'm just wondering). Thanks again man!

post #106 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Sorry, another question hehe. What is the main difference between the 51" and the 57" (besides the size and price).

I mean, is there a noticeable PQ difference in either of them? I'm looking for something around 50" so if I can go cheaper i'd be willing to do that. Thanks again!

post #107 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:

So HD-DVDs will look really good on it as well as SD-DVD upconverted?

Also, how heavy is this thing? I read somewhere around 200 lbs.

Also, how far should my viewing distance be?

Thanks again!

It is about 200 pounds, but is on rollers and easy to move around.

Viewing distance depends on the screen size - there is a THX recommended calculator out there - try Googling "Recommended distance from big screen TV"
post #108 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Also, would you suggest getting an EW for it? And if so, should I get it from CC or BB or wherever this TV is sold (i'm kind of making my first big TV purchase, hehe, so i'm just wondering). Thanks again man!

I originally bought the Sears extended warranty (Sears had the best price for the TV - check there and CC and one may price-match and beat the other).

The EW was about $490 (half the price of the TV) but when I got home I had second thoughts, and also remembered that my credit card company (I have a Visa Gold) does something regarding warranties.

I called them up, and they add an extra year on to the manufacturer's 1 year warranty, for free. Then they offer an additional 3 years warranty (and a very good one at that) for just $112.

So I got a 5 year warranty through Visa for $112.

You must call your card company and check to see if they do this, and then use that credit card to pay for the whole item.
post #109 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did hit the info button, that's how I knew it was coming in at 720p. Virtual HD showed to be 1080i. I am also set to automatic aspect. So, something in the broadcast sounds amiss, this was the local news, and probably not shot in HD. I'll watch the same channel tonight, and write down all the data from the info screen.

Here's a pic for what I'm talking about:

post #110 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Sorry, another question hehe. What is the main difference between the 51" and the 57" (besides the size and price).

I mean, is there a noticeable PQ difference in either of them? I'm looking for something around 50" so if I can go cheaper i'd be willing to do that. Thanks again!

No difference other than size and price. I checked both out and even though I was going to get the 57" at first, it was TOO BIG for my room - I sit 7 feet away from the TV and the 51" is almost too big!
post #111 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 05:28 PM

Thanks again for the responses! Probably going to go with the 51" just because of the size of my room. Since there are no real differences between the two, I think it would be great.

I think I saw tapeworks offering a nice EW for pretty cheap.

Now, this is a real newbie question, but a while ago when I was visiting my uncle, his friend had a RP CRT TV. He had a laptop (pretty crappy one) with some software on it that I think he used to calibrate his TV.

Anyone know what i'm talking about?

Also, is it worth it going to get a monster clean power surge protector, or can I spend 30-40 and get a decent one that isn't monster?

post #112 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's a pic for what I'm talking about:

Just because the channel comes through in HD the show itself isn't recorded in HD, this is true of all high def stations....Sometimes they even forget to "flip the switch" to HD on things like football games

Just be glad because its still a hell of alot less compressed then the SD station and its pre-upscaled for you
post #113 of 4703 Old 06-21-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just because the channel comes through in HD the show itself isn't recorded in HD, this is true of all high def stations....Sometimes they even forget to "flip the switch" to HD on things like football games

Just be glad because its still a hell of alot less compressed then the SD station and its pre-upscaled for you

I was just showing you that it did come in that way, when it said 720p.

Also, that signature of yours is starting to wierd me out...

post #114 of 4703 Old 06-22-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Viewing distance depends on the screen size - there is a THX recommended calculator out there - try Googling "Recommended distance from big screen TV"

There's this screen area calculator: http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

And this viewing distance calculator:http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

post #115 of 4703 Old 06-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Quick question:

If I use the one HDMI input on my Hitachi for my upscaling DVD player, and use the Component inputs for the output from my HD DVR cable box, am I losing anything? Like the ability of the HD DVR to upscale to 1080i, or any special HD features that the HD DVR cable box has?

Would it make sense to get a switch box that would allow me to have the cable box HDMI output and the DVD HDMI output hooked in to the one HDMI input of the Hitachi?
post #116 of 4703 Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Quick question:

If I use the one HDMI input on my Hitachi for my upscaling DVD player, and use the Component inputs for the output from my HD DVR cable box, am I losing anything? Like the ability of the HD DVR to upscale to 1080i, or any special HD features that the HD DVR cable box has?

Would it make sense to get a switch box that would allow me to have the cable box HDMI output and the DVD HDMI output hooked in to the one HDMI input of the Hitachi?

Nope not at all. I'm running my setup that exact way. upconverting dvd player on HDMI and comcast box on component.
post #117 of 4703 Old 06-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

same setup hdmi dvd/ componet HD dvr cable box. both look great!
post #118 of 4703 Old 06-22-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Say do you guys have a receiver and if so how do you get the sound from your DVD player if you use HDMI to connect to your TV?

post #119 of 4703 Old 06-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

same setup hdmi dvd/ componet HD dvr cable box. both look great!

I also now know why you didn't understand my SD pain, the artifacting of SD the tv our tv causes only happens on composite s-video and analog cable, 480i via component is amazing

Still 480p upscaling of the set leaves some to be desired
post #120 of 4703 Old 06-22-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Say do you guys have a receiver and if so how do you get the sound from your DVD player if you use HDMI to connect to your TV?

If I understand your situation correctly, you simply use either optical digital audio or coaxial cable for your sound, or you can use composite RCA cables if you don't have optical audio or coax audio connections.

Almost all receivers and DVD players now have optical audio.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page