Hitachi 57F59A - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4703 Old 06-30-2006, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
moving up some tricky stairs

i live in a smallish condo and have a rather narrow staircase with one bend in it that i need to get the tv up. i'm looking at the 51" model. so of course i need to measure and see if it can fit at all, but these are my questions:

1. is it possible to tilt the tv on its side when turning the corner up the stairs?
2. if i buy from circuitcity will they deliver it and bring it up the stairs for me? or at least help me get it up there?
3. i can't even imagine lifting a 200lb box up some stairs. is this even reasonable? do all you guys have it on a bottom floor?

there's no room on the bottom floor so it's got to go up. plenty of room in my master bedroom upstairs, but getting it up those stairs seems pretty tricky. i'm curious if there are any tricks involved and if i could damage it by tilting it on its side while rounding the corner?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4703 Old 06-30-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, the 57" actually comes apart. The top seperates from the bottom, making it much easier to get upstairs! Is this a 90degree bend, or a 180degree bend? You'd better do some measuring first. I don't think the CC guys are going to put it up there for you.
post #183 of 4703 Old 07-02-2006, 02:11 PM

I played around with the settings some more and it is starting to look better. I had to use a little bit different settings than the 51F59.
post #184 of 4703 Old 07-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsantos97 View Post

I played around with the settings some more and it is starting to look better. I had to use a little bit different settings than the 51F59.

post your settings...

btw, I'm now using Lee's settings... I like them quite a bit! If I could only figure out how to get into the service menu and focus the blue gun a bit!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

post #185 of 4703 Old 07-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

post your settings...

btw, I'm now using Lee's settings... I like them quite a bit! If I could only figure out how to get into the service menu and focus the blue gun a bit!

You don't use the service menu, you take the speaker grill off(pulls off real easy) then there a would panel with 6 screws, take that off and then in the opening there an upsidedown box that has labels FOCUS and SCREEN, DO NOT TOUCH THE ONE LABELED SCREEN YOU WILL RUIN YOUR TV, the focus knobs are labeled R G and B, you can use these to electronically focus the guns......if you want to focus further you have to get into the light box which is where(i think) the wingnuts on the 3 lens assemblys are
post #186 of 4703 Old 07-02-2006, 02:41 PM

+1 , except I am using black detail off instead of low. I've also toggled between the medium and standard color temps.

LEE: Have you made any tweaks to your original settings? Anything different going from SD vs HD? Please post it all again if any changes made. :>

What is film mode and how to I turn that on? I do not see that option in my menus unless that is "Auto movie mode" pulldown.

Quote:

btw, I'm now using Lee's settings... I like them quite a bit!

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #187 of 4703 Old 07-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodeje79 View Post

+1 , except I am using black detail off instead of low. I've also toggled between the medium and standard color temps.

LEE: Have you made any tweaks to your original settings? Anything different going from SD vs HD? Please post it all again if any changes made. :>

What is film mode and how to I turn that on? I do not see that option in my menus unless that is "Auto movie mode" pulldown.

I find using his settings I did turn down the brightness and left Black Enhancement on Low... oitherwise the blacks were washed out.

Is it Auto Film Mode.

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

post #188 of 4703 Old 07-03-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodeje79 View Post

Where I've got my settings today. Be aware, this is through my component in only, Input 3.

Contrast: 38%
Brightness: 60%
Color: 43
Tint: 2 clicks to the left(into RED)
Temp: Standard
Black Enhance: Low
Edge Enhance: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Auto Movie: On

I toggle between Virtual HD of 540p and 1080i, but really don't notice much of a difference. I still have to hook up my new Denon upconverting player, and see how up-converted 1080i looks over HDMI.

High Def(or any Digital) OTA broadcasts look very good on this set. Though my indoor antenna may have to be changed out for an attic installed unit with more gain. Strange, I live less than 30 miles from the broadcast stations, yet they still drop out on occasion.

Anyone reading this use the Comcast HD STB? I was wondering what outputs they offer, and what adjustments you can do, such as choosing all 1080i, etc...
post #189 of 4703 Old 07-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Anyone reading this use the Comcast HD STB? I was wondering what outputs they offer, and what adjustments you can do, such as choosing all 1080i, etc...[/quote]
i don't have comcast ,but i have time warner hd dvr box and it has all the output formats i have mine set to 1080i. i find if i put it on 480p or 480i it tends to make the red's brighter/standout so i have it set to 1080i for everything. i find the picture to be the best using this anyway. also i think i read somewhere that the comcast hd box you can choose the output format not 100% sure ,but i thought i read it some place. i think they use the same cable boxes as well as timewarner
post #190 of 4703 Old 07-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

Anyone reading this use the Comcast HD STB? I was wondering what outputs they offer, and what adjustments you can do, such as choosing all 1080i, etc...
i don't have comcast ,but i have time warner hd dvr box and it has all the output formats i have mine set to 1080i. i find if i put it on 480p or 480i it tends to make the red's brighter/standout so i have it set to 1080i for everything. i find the picture to be the best using this anyway. also i think i read somewhere that the comcast hd box you can choose the output format not 100% sure ,but i thought i read it some place. i think they use the same cable boxes as well as timewarner

you can set HD 480i/p, 720p, 1080i. Then you can set the box to output 4:3 SD in 480i/p 720p 1080i with bars on the side, stretched, or you can just set it to output regular 480i/p

As for outputs on the box, they range from composite, RF, component, DVI, firewire, HDMI. If you want a HDMI box make sure you request it on the order(best interest, cause the phase 3's have HDMI and they are the least buggy boxes)Comcast will not supply the HDMI cable but you can get one off of monprice for under $10 shipped
post #191 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 11:02 AM

Hmm - the HD feeds look amazing, and most of my Widescreen DVDs look great as well. However, SD feeds and 4:3 DVDs leave a LOT to be desired, especially the SD programs. It is almost impossible to watch Food Network or Travel Channel on the Hitachi.

Any ideas on how to help it?

Maybe use another imput and a S-Video cable instead of component? Change settings (suggestions appreciated), etc.? Wife is second-guessing our getting an HD set now.
post #192 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post

Hmm - the HD feeds look amazing, and most of my Widescreen DVDs look great as well. However, SD feeds and 4:3 DVDs leave a LOT to be desired, especially the SD programs. It is almost impossible to watch Food Network or Travel Channel on the Hitachi.

Maybe use another imput and a S-Video cable instead of component? Change settings (suggestions appreciated), etc.? Wife is second-guessing our getting an HD set now.

My best guess is that the problem is your source (cable, device, etc). I use Dish and have a 50' S-Video cable (middle quality) running to my Hitachi and the SD is fine. I watch the Food Network almost daily. The only complaint I have is that the SD is a bit 'soft' but that could also be my 50' run of cable

Have you tried the settings several of us have mentioned? Start with Lee's and adjust for your specific situation (room lighting, visual tastes, etc).

________
Ltek

post #193 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:

My best guess is that the problem is your source (cable, device, etc). I use Dish and have a 50' S-Video cable (middle quality) running to my Hitachi and the SD is fine. I watch the Food Network almost daily. The only complaint I have is that the SD is a bit 'soft' but that could also be my 50' run of cable

Have you tried the settings several of us have mentioned? Start with Lee's and adjust for your specific situation (room lighting, visual tastes, etc).

I have a Scientific Atlantic HD DVR with Brighthouse cable, using medium-quality component video cables and only 6 feet of that, and have tried using the settings mentioned above. Like I said, no problems with the HD or DVDs I'm watching - I was in error when I said the non-widescreen DVDs didn't look good - they look very nice, in fact.

I've tried using "Pass-through" and "1080i upconvert" on the cable box and it doesn't look to change anything. The image is pretty pixelated and edges of lines are like looking at a low-res computer screen with blockiness.

WHen I hit the Information button it says 480p or 480i for the feed.
post #194 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

try a difference source... like OTA SD channels.

________
Ltek

post #195 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

component is the best for SD on this set, coax composite and S-VIDEO artifact like crazy on parts of the screen that are in motion(looks like digital artifacting on solid colors)this doesn't happen on component
post #196 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post

component is the best for SD on this set, coax composite and S-VIDEO artifact like crazy on parts of the screen that are in motion(looks like digital artifacting on solid colors)this doesn't happen on component

Hmm - so, it looks like I am using the best connection I can use for this. Just wondering why it looks so terrible on SD.
post #197 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 12:24 PM

I see what you all mean by using S-video - pretty bad.

I wonder if using the HDMI calbe instead of the component would help?

I was just watching World Cup soccer and switching back and forth between the ESPN HD version and the regular SD version - pretty striking. But the Food Network and Travel Channel feeds are even more striking in their "ugliness". Am I that spoiled already on HD, or could there really be something wrong with my setup or components?

Should I use 1080i upconvert on everything or should I use "pass through" and have everything go in its native format?
post #198 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Did you compare it to OTA SD???
Maybe your problem is the cable box!?
Are you passing through a receiver or going direct from source to TV?

SD on my 57F59 with Dish using a 50' S-Video cable has NO image issues. So the problem is your set is defective or setup is. Pretty darn simple.

________
Ltek

post #199 of 4703 Old 07-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see what you all mean by using S-video - pretty bad.

I wonder if using the HDMI calbe instead of the component would help?

I was just watching World Cup soccer and switching back and forth between the ESPN HD version and the regular SD version - pretty striking. But the Food Network and Travel Channel feeds are even more striking in their "ugliness". Am I that spoiled already on HD, or could there really be something wrong with my setup or components?

Should I use 1080i upconvert on everything or should I use "pass through" and have everything go in its native format?

Well with my motorola box, the best results i get is just letting the box de-interlace 480i and output it at 480p and letting the tv handle it(My motorola STB is pretty poor at upscaling to 1080i)

I'm ordering a HDMI cable soon
post #200 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 06:57 AM

It is a little confusing trying to figure out my cable box settings, as well as trying to figure out what is the best configurations, but I'll try to explain what I see and what I can set:

Cable Box -

It says in the setup for the Scientific Atlantic HD DVR that if I choose 16:9 widescreen in the setup, then the the TV is set to only receive programming in 1080i format, even on non-HD channels. This is what I have it set for right now.

It then says to choose a General Settings picture mode, and since it is conencted with Component cables, it recomends "Pass-Through" mode, saying it allows non-HD channels to be displayed using their native picture formats. Most of the time this means it is in 480i or 480p.

Now, if I select "Upconvert 1" on my cable box, it will upconvert most of the signals to 1080i. Choosing Upconvert 2 will cause most of the signals to be in 780p format. Pass through, as mentioned earlier, is in the native resolution.

When I changed the Virtual HD setting to 540p, then it seemed that most of the signals went to that. Meaning, even the HD Channels like ESPNHD, INHD 1 and 2, the Discovery Channel HD, etc. would say in the top right corner "YPBPR, Cable 2, 1080i format" but then in the Information bar on the bottom (that you get when you hit the INFO button on the Hitachi remote)it said "HD540p".

So, I guess I need to figure out what is the best option.

1 - Am I losing anything when I am getting the 1080i format through the HD channels but the TV is set for Virtual HD mode at 540p?

2 - What is the difference between the "Upconvert" 1080i mode on my cable box vs. using the "Pass-Through" mode to get the native signal?

3 - Is 1080i the best I can get, or is the 720p or 540p mode better for SD channels? And am I stuck with the Virtual HD for all my channels in 540p if I set it up as you suggested and will that hurt my HD channels and/or DVDs?

Thanks again for the help!
post #201 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is a little confusing trying to figure out my cable box settings, as well as trying to figure out what is the best configurations, but I'll try to explain what I see and what I can set:

Cable Box -

It says in the setup for the Scientific Atlantic HD DVR that if I choose 16:9 widescreen in the setup, then the the TV is set to only receive programming in 1080i format, even on non-HD channels. This is what I have it set for right now.

It then says to choose a General Settings picture mode, and since it is conencted with Component cables, it recomends "Pass-Through" mode, saying it allows non-HD channels to be displayed using their native picture formats. Most of the time this means it is in 480i or 480p.

Now, if I select "Upconvert 1" on my cable box, it will upconvert most of the signals to 1080i. Choosing Upconvert 2 will cause most of the signals to be in 780p format. Pass through, as mentioned earlier, is in the native resolution.

When I changed the Virtual HD setting to 540p, then it seemed that most of the signals went to that. Meaning, even the HD Channels like ESPNHD, INHD 1 and 2, the Discovery Channel HD, etc. would say in the top right corner "YPBPR, Cable 2, 1080i format" but then in the Information bar on the bottom (that you get when you hit the INFO button on the Hitachi remote)it said "HD540p".

So, I guess I need to figure out what is the best option.

1 - Am I losing anything when I am getting the 1080i format through the HD channels but the TV is set for Virtual HD mode at 540p?

2 - What is the difference between the "Upconvert" 1080i mode on my cable box vs. using the "Pass-Through" mode to get the native signal?

3 - Is 1080i the best I can get, or is the 720p or 540p mode better for SD channels? And am I stuck with the Virtual HD for all my channels in 540p if I set it up as you suggested and will that hurt my HD channels and/or DVDs?

Thanks again for the help!

1. 540p mode is only active when inputting 480i and 480p to the TV
2.Pass-Through should mean it outputs whatever the channel is broadcasting in, upconvert will output in your selected resolution
3. For SD i choose 480p, simply because I have different zooming options and such(I use zoom so i can listen to my TV without any logos burning into it)
post #202 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 03:16 PM

Yesterday I was using DVE and AVIA discs to calibrate my 57F59. The set has only got fewer than 50 hrs and I thought I should start to get familiar with those settings. Here are the observations and questions I got from my attempt:

1. Compared to my DLP front projectors (NEC and Infocus), the color on this set looks very good, and the black detail is amazing, anticipating all these should get even better after a few more hours of usage.

2. However, I did notice lots of shadow lines and curves on the sharpness test patterns. Those things must have contributed to some loss of picture quality. Will they ever go away? Or could any type of adjustments help eliminate these shadows?

3. Would setting the brightness to 60 (with contrast at 35) cause screen burn problems when watching 4:3 materials with grayish bars on both sides?
post #203 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 05:22 PM

Thanks, guys - I'll try this out and hope for the best.

Hey, one other question for you guys - I have an Oppo 971 DVD player - currently I have it hooked up with a DVI-to-HDMI cable into the Hitachi's HDMI input. But I can't use it for a normal 4:3 setting on a DVD done that way - only 16:9 or 4:3 Expanded. Would it be better to use the Component Cables going out of the DVD player instead of the DVI-HDMI cable? I think if I do that I can then do the 4:3 thing on the DVDs that need them, or go to 16:9 for the widescreen DVDs. I just want to know if by not using the DVI-HDMI cable, am I losing the ability to use the Upconvert function of the Faroudja chip as well as not getting as good of a picture?
post #204 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 06:58 PM

Thanks! Have you altered your sharpness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

Where I've got my settings today. Be aware, this is through my component in only, Input 3.

Contrast: 38%
Brightness: 60%
Color: 43
Tint: 2 clicks to the left(into RED)
Temp: Standard
Black Enhance: Low
Edge Enhance: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Auto Movie: On

I toggle between Virtual HD of 540p and 1080i, but really don't notice much of a difference. I still have to hook up my new Denon upconverting player, and see how up-converted 1080i looks over HDMI.

High Def(or any Digital) OTA broadcasts look very good on this set. Though my indoor antenna may have to be changed out for an attic installed unit with more gain. Strange, I live less than 30 miles from the broadcast stations, yet they still drop out on occasion.

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #205 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, guys - I'll try this out and hope for the best.

Hey, one other question for you guys - I have an Oppo 971 DVD player - currently I have it hooked up with a DVI-to-HDMI cable into the Hitachi's HDMI input. But I can't use it for a normal 4:3 setting on a DVD done that way - only 16:9 or 4:3 Expanded. Would it be better to use the Component Cables going out of the DVD player instead of the DVI-HDMI cable? I think if I do that I can then do the 4:3 thing on the DVDs that need them, or go to 16:9 for the widescreen DVDs. I just want to know if by not using the DVI-HDMI cable, am I losing the ability to use the Upconvert function of the Faroudja chip as well as not getting as good of a picture?

I thought the Oppo player was supposed to upconvert to 1080i through the component inputs as well, one of its main selling points. Though when I talked to Hitachi, they said the F59 model's component input would not accept 1080i. Give it a try.
post #206 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

My 51F59 accepts 1080i through it's component inputs. However, the Oppo will not upconvert over its component outputs, which are rather awful. This player is strictly for it's DVI output.

You shouldn't have any problem with 4:3 DVDs on the Oppo. It will pillar box (black bars on the side) 4:3 DVDs if you choose the appropriate setting in the menus.

Steve
post #207 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2 View Post

My 51F59 accepts 1080i through it's component inputs. However, the Oppo will not upconvert over its component outputs, which are rather awful. This player is strictly for it's DVI output.

You shouldn't have any problem with 4:3 DVDs on the Oppo. It will pillar box (black bars on the side) 4:3 DVDs if you choose the appropriate setting in the menus.

I figured it out - I had to change the Screen size setting in the Oppo Menu from widescreen to a "stretch" setting for 4:3 - worked great.

However, a new problem (?) has arisen:

I did as everyone suggested and the SD picture looks pretty good now. I have the Virtual HD mode set for 540p, and the Upconvert on my cable box/DVR set so everything outputs at 1080i.

However, now even when I am watching DVRed programs that were broadcast on the HD channels in 1080i, when I hit the info button for the Hitachi it says 1080i in the upper right corner, but HD 540p on the bottom info screen.

What gives? Can I only see 1080i native programs "live" and not on the DVR? It didn't do that when I had the Virtual HD set for 1080i instead of 540p. I thought that if it was broadcast in 1080i (like the INHD 1 and 2 channels most of the time) that it would disable the 540p Virtual HD?
post #208 of 4703 Old 07-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

I thought the Oppo player was supposed to upconvert to 1080i through the component inputs as well, one of its main selling points. Though when I talked to Hitachi, they said the F59 model's component input would not accept 1080i. Give it a try.

not sure what ****** at Hitachi told you that but that makes absolutely no sense... the specs state 1080i... and I can confirm it takes 1080i over Component since that is all I use.

________
Ltek

post #209 of 4703 Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 AM

The one weird thing that I noticed is that when I did this this morning and had the Virtual HD set up for 540p, that every once in a while when I switched channels back and forth it would all of a sudden start showing 1080i on the bottom of the screen and 1080i on the top right, even on channels that earlier were showing 540p on the bottom and sometimes even ones that showed 480p or 480i on the top right! And these were the same shows being played (this all occurred inside of about a 5 minute span.)

I was also able to select Virtual HD without having to change inputs like before. Very weird.
post #210 of 4703 Old 07-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Someone tell me if I have this right:

Regardless of what it says on the bottom info line on the Hitachi (what you see when you hit INFO), if you are hooked up and getting a signal from either Component or HDMI cables, the Virtual HD does not work, right?

Meaning, I have my Cable Box attached with component cables, set to 1080i output, and cannot set Virtual HD. But by changing to another Input (my cable is on Input 4) I can turn on Virtual HD to 540p or 1080i. I have it on 540p. When I go back to Input 4 and watch TV, it always shows HD540p on the bottom info line, though the upper right may say 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. When I switch to my upscaling Oppo 971h DVD player hooked up with an HDMI cable, it still says HD540p on the bottom info line.

BUT according to Hitachi's manual, Virtual HD is disabled when the signal is coming from connected component or HDMI cables. SO even though it says HD540p, it really isn't Downscaling from 1080i to 540p, right?

If that is the case, is the only way you can benefit from Virtual HD is if you get your signal through a composite or S-Video cable input?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page