2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3031 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majeskty View Post

I believe that the upconversion is only through the HDMI connection. We purchased a LG RC199H DVD/VCR and to get the unit to up convert you have to go through the HDMI port. I do see that the Mit's will take a 1080i signal through the component input's to the TV. Now whether the Set itself will up convert using those component jacks that would be something to ask Mitshubishi technical.

Just to satisfy MY wanting to know the answer I called Mitshubishi this morning. I have the 57831 on pre-order. I called and asked if the component inputs which support a 1080i signal would up convert to 1080P.

The Technical support at first said that the manual does not mention that the TV will up convert to 1080P at all, even though the on line information states this fact. He is moving this question up to the next level to find out the answer for me. Would take 24-48 hours for a reply.

Apparently some of the Mit's will not up convert only be able to accept the 1080P signal and is model dependant.

These are fixed pixel sets--the only resolution they can display is 1080p, therefore they must upconvert all incoming signals to 1080p regardless of connection.

So all incoming signals that the set will accept will definitely be upconverted to 1080p, regardless of input connection.

Upconverting dvd players will only output higher than 480p over the HDMI connection. The set will upconvert over any connection. Only experimentation will reveal whether upconversion done by the player over HDMI will be better than upconversion over component done by the tv. The quality of upconverting players varies widely as does the quality of upconversion done by fixed pixel tv sets.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3032 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eawil View Post

Any word on overscan for the xx831?

it looks like i've got about 3.3% on the top and bottom and 3.2% on the left and right. my lines are totally straight, no rotation. there are no options for adjusting overscan in the user menus. i haven't ventured into the service menu.
Smeeg is offline  
post #3033 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Wesley5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majeskty View Post

...
The Technical support at first said that the manual does not mention that the TV will up convert to 1080P at all, even though the on line information states this fact. He is moving this question up to the next level to find out the answer for me. Would take 24-48 hours for a reply.

Apparently some of the Mit's will not up convert only be able to accept the 1080P signal and is model dependant.

ALL 1080p TVs convert signal into 1080p format, since this is TV's native format.

However, not all conversion is equal in terms final PQ. That's why upscaling DVD players can sell for top dollars because they upscale signal much better. One thing one should keep in mind is that these players only upscale over HDMI, not component, connections if you play a protected DVD. DVDs without copy protection does not have limitation.

I was watching I, Robot with an upscaling DVD last week on a 65732, PQ is simply amazing, really clean and sharp, better than US open tennis broadcast on Universal HD channel on the same store. I forgot to check out which brand of DVD player though :-(
Wesley5 is offline  
post #3034 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Member
 
hotpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: oc
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle View Post

I feel the same way. I would love to see some tweaks and settings for the WD-XX731.

I think this thread needs to be divided.

same here.
hotpot is offline  
post #3035 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
longshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Prince Frederick, Md.
Posts: 1,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburforce View Post

Seriously considering the 73831. My wife loves movies and I love football. My experience says motion is where most TV's have trouble. Would love as much detail as possible on how HD football looked. Thanks in advance.

The Giants/Colts game on NBC last night was incredible. This is especially surprising because it is 180 degrees from the Dolphins/Steelers which was gawd awful.

This set takes no prisoners. If the feed is compromised you will definitely notice. The Texas/OSU game was unwatchable at some points. I thought it was the tv, it's the source. Really looking forward to the ESPN broadcast tonight here in Redskins country.

John McAdams
longshot is offline  
post #3036 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
syphon00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone have the 57"?
if so what stand did you go with? what's the recommended height?

thanks
syphon00 is offline  
post #3037 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Member
 
kenking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

Really looking forward to the ESPN broadcast tonight here in Redskins country.

Hopefully there wont be any major problems either with the tv OR the team...
kenking is offline  
post #3038 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

The Giants/Colts game on NBC last night was incredible. This is especially surprising because it is 180 degrees from the Dolphins/Steelers which was gawd awful.

This set takes no prisoners. If the feed is compromised you will definitely notice. The Texas/OSU game was unwatchable at some points. I thought it was the tv, it's the source. Really looking forward to the ESPN broadcast tonight here in Redskins country.

yeah, i quickly realized that it was all about the source. a lot of times, its going to come down to the network and the magnitude of the game. being in oklahoma, we got stuck with regional action yesterday with too many SD cameras. the difference between the HD and SD cameras is SO apparent. obviously with sunday night football, dick ebersol went in with the intent of sensory overload for HDtv owners and i found myself drooling down my chin.
Smeeg is offline  
post #3039 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon00 View Post

does anyone have the 57"?
if so what stand did you go with? what's the recommended height?

thanks

mine is sitting on a cedar chest...

don't go any higher than 24"
Smeeg is offline  
post #3040 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,772
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

These are fixed pixel sets--the only resolution they can display is 1080p, therefore they must upconvert all incoming signals to 1080p regardless of connection.

Thanks for posting what I would have -- only better.
htwaits is offline  
post #3041 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,772
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley5 View Post

ALL 1080p TVs convert signal into 1080p format, since this is TV's native format.

This simple message seems to be needed almost every day. Thanks.
htwaits is offline  
post #3042 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
rlu929s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MO
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So really if I want the best picture from DVD's I either have to go with the Tosh or the OPPO. How buggy are the Tosh units. I don't usually like to jump on the first units available. Who knows we could very well see units that do BR and HDDVD in the future.

Will the OPPO do as good on SD DVD as the Tosh or will I still get a better expierence.

Westa: What kind of bugs does the audio have?

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
rlu929s is offline  
post #3043 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Newbie
 
ht70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, it's my first foray into big screens. I have an old 32 Panny superflat that has served me well. But, it's time to go. I'm done to this set and the SXRD. I have one question for those who have already made the jump. I'm about 10' from eyes to screen. I was originally set on having the 57, but I'd love to get the 65 set. Apparently that distance would be fine. My big question is whether or not the TV will overwhelm the room. Hey, I'm all for a big set. I just don't want folks walking in my room saying, Jeez, you'd think you could do some decoration outside of the screen!. I know this is subjective, but I figure I'd ask.
ht70 is offline  
post #3044 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,772
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

... even though the Tosh can be buggy with some HDMI Audio - it's simply head and shoulders above the OPPO for what it does with an HD Disk - the Oppo simply cannot equal it so you save $300 for a less than experience on a $4K TV - doesn't make sense to me.

It makes sense if there are very few (zero at the moment) HD-DVD movies available to buy or rent that an individual is interested in watching.

It also makes sense if someone wishes to avoid the whole format war, and be sure they are not buying a dead end.

For someone with disposable income that can handle the cost of players for both formats then I say, "Enjoy!" ... but, I would wait for a little bit of a shake down.
htwaits is offline  
post #3045 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenking View Post

Soo (assuming no difference between the Y57/731's and the 732/831's upconverting of 480), maybe that post about the slightly poor dvd quality was an individual problem, or hopefully much ado about nothing... Nevertheless, think i'm going to take one of my favorite dvds with me to the showroom, just to make sure.

i have a progressive scan toshiba that has component output but was having problems reading my dvdrs. so i switched it out with just a basic sony dvd player i had, not progressive scan but with component outs. last night i watched the new simpsons episode on fox HD and it was wonderful. i then watched a 7th season episode from the new box set on the sony dvd player. it looked good, but my opinion was already a little tainted by what i saw coming through the hdmi. so i placed my order for the oppo this morning and i'll have it tomorrow. problem solved.
Smeeg is offline  
post #3046 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
rlu929s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MO
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to agree with you there. The smaller the $$$ the better IMO. I'll probably look into the OPPO once I decided on the TV itself

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
rlu929s is offline  
post #3047 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post

So really if I want the best picture from DVD's I either have to go with the Tosh or the OPPO. How buggy are the Tosh units. I don't usually like to jump on the first units available. Who knows we could very well see units that do BR and HDDVD in the future.

Will the OPPO do as good on SD DVD as the Tosh or will I still get a better expierence.

personally, i'm going with the oppo. if i commit to the hddvd, i'd rather wait for the second generation. on the bluray, i want to see how the playstation performs as a media center first. and the oppo comes with the cords, which is always a bonus
Smeeg is offline  
post #3048 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Member
 
hotpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: oc
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jferris View Post

In addition, the ESPN "bottom line" white text displays a trailing white artifact when scrolling from right to left. This also goes away if the cable box is set to 720P. I don't know if these 2 items are related, perhaps a deinterlacing issue?

ur right. i am using dish and i get that too. only on 1080i but not 720p. the quality is not as good when sat box is set at 720p. anyone else having this problem w. the 732/831 series or just the few of us w. the 731
i also get the annoying high pitch sound from the tv that readams' posted previously #546. the only time i dont hear it is to set the volume over 15.
hotpot is offline  
post #3049 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht70 View Post

Ok, it's my first foray into big screens. I have an old 32 Panny superflat that has served me well. But, it's time to go. I'm done to this set and the SXRD. I have one question for those who have already made the jump. I'm about 10' from eyes to screen. I was originally set on having the 57, but I'd love to get the 65 set. Apparently that distance would be fine. My big question is whether or not the TV will overwhelm the room. Hey, I'm all for a big set. I just don't want folks walking in my room saying, Jeez, you'd think you could do some decoration outside of the screen!. I know this is subjective, but I figure I'd ask.

i know its personal preference, but a 65831 at 10' would scare the shite out of me. i'd also be looking to purchase a defibrillator and a case of visine
Smeeg is offline  
post #3050 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
rlu929s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MO
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree Smeeg about the OPPO and yes coming with the cord is nice.

As to the screen size I'm in the same bout except I afraid I my be too close for a 65" Looks like while I'm waiting for the set to come in I may be brainstorming ways to rearrange the movie room to get a little more viewing distance.

Otherwise it may be the 57831 for me.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
rlu929s is offline  
post #3051 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,772
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post

So really if I want the best picture from DVD's I either have to go with the Tosh or the OPPO.

Right at this very moment in time Eliab thinks that the Toshiba is the best combo player for HD-DVD and SD DVD.

Eliab raving!

As fast as things are changing who knows what he and others will think after lunch tomorrow.

I would probably get an OPPO for SD DVD if I didn't have a HTPC setup that I like.
htwaits is offline  
post #3052 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My suggestion: Continue to use this thread for issues and discussion common to all the 2007 Mitsubishis, but start owners threads specific to the 731s, 732s and 831s.

The 2007 Mitsubishi 57” and 65” 831 Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK] thread might serve for the 831.

We just need a 731 owner and a 732 owner to start the model-specific threads.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
post #3053 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post

I agree Smeeg about the OPPO and yes coming with the cord is nice.

As to the screen size I'm in the same bout except I afraid I my be too close for a 65" Looks like while I'm waiting for the set to come in I may be brainstorming ways to rearrange the movie room to get a little more viewing distance.

Otherwise it may be the 57831 for me.

i think you could probably get comfortable at 12' with the 65831. any less than that would be WAY too hardcore for me
Smeeg is offline  
post #3054 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Newbie
 
Tiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Any 831 mits in Canada??

Not that I know of yet.

I am in Calgary and about 1-2 months from buying a new TV for my HT. I checked Best Buy last week, and they didn't have any Mits TVs. I also went into Sears and spoke to a salesperson. Sears didn't have any Mits sets either. The salesperson sad they were expecting new stock "including a couple of new brands", but she wasn't sure which ones.

I also checked with a local high end HT store. They did have a Mits front projector, and said they could order a set in if I wanted. This is a last resort to me. I would like to see the set before I buy.

I fired an email to Mits asking who their retailers are in my neck of the woods. Will post when I get a reply.
Tiggy is offline  
post #3055 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Does this set have Picture In Picture or any similiar facsimilie?
jbug is offline  
post #3056 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Does this set have Picture In Picture or any similiar facsimilie?

the 831 has p&p, with the standard limitations
Smeeg is offline  
post #3057 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dbburns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

the 831 has p&p, with the standard limitations

What are the standard limitations? Not capable of handling two HD sources for P&P? Are there other limitations?

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

dbburns is offline  
post #3058 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Newbie
 
emmulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would it be a violation of the no-price-talk policy for someone to just say what the MSRP is for the 73831? That wouldn't be mentioning any particular price at any particular dealer, but would help me sort out what I'm seeing elsewhere. Thanks!
emmulator is offline  
post #3059 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post

Not that I know of yet.

I am in Calgary and about 1-2 months from buying a new TV for my HT. I checked Best Buy last week, and they didn't have any Mits TVs. I also went into Sears and spoke to a salesperson. Sears didn't have any Mits sets either. The salesperson sad they were expecting new stock "including a couple of new brands", but she wasn't sure which ones.

I also checked with a local high end HT store. They did have a Mits front projector, and said they could order a set in if I wanted. This is a last resort to me. I would like to see the set before I buy.

I fired an email to Mits asking who their retailers are in my neck of the woods. Will post when I get a reply.

I sent and e-mail to mitsubishi canada and they replied that RPTV where only sold in U.S...
dhan is offline  
post #3060 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mixdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes I too would like to know the best price on a 73831 and where you got the price from ? Could someone PM me ?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Mixdoctor is online now  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off