2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3061 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

What are the standard limitations? Not capable of handling two HD sources for P&P? Are there other limitations?

yeah. it's a single tuner so you need a second external tuner or additional source, and you can only display one hdmi source at a time. when pressing the format button there are three variations on sizes for the main & sub-pictures
Smeeg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3062 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dbburns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So I could theoretically have two HD pictures - (1) using the TV's tuner and (2) an external HD STB receiver via HDMI? If so, that would be hot, especially during football season.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

dbburns is offline  
post #3063 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

So I could theoretically have two HD pictures - (1) using the TV's tuner and (2) an external HD STB receiver via HDMI? If so, that would be hot, especially during football season.

as far as i can tell, yes. you cannot display signals from 2 hdmi jacks simultaneously. but the user guide says the tv is capable of displaying 2 HD sources, both in widescreen, in picture and picture. i just have not accomplished this yet
Smeeg is offline  
post #3064 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Member
 
BMELVIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Yes I too would like to know the best price on a 73831 and where you got the price from ? Could someone PM me ?

I am also very interested in the 73831 set and the best price and place to buy. please email me also thanks
BMELVIN is offline  
post #3065 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Member
 
Yammyha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMELVIN View Post

I am also very interested in the 73831 set and the best price and place to buy. please email me also thanks


Count me as another for the 73831 pricing and where to get.
Yammyha is offline  
post #3066 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RudyMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about me for the 57732 and 57831?
RudyMeister is offline  
post #3067 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Franchot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Signal Hill, CA, USA
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Longshot, Smeeg, Jasodan, and other early adopters, thanks for your input. Sounds like the set is definitely meeting or exceeding your expectations.

Any negatives or nitpicks you can think of? Something you wish they would have included? Something they added that seems unnecessary?
Franchot is offline  
post #3068 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
sourcery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Something you wish they would have included? Something they added that seems unnecessary?

My main worry, given what I've seen of the 732, is what the professional calibrators will be able to do using the service menu. I'm told they have felt less than fully empowered by past Mitsubishis.

On the other hand, the 731s and 732s I've seen seem to my eye to be quite well calibrated out of the box (speaking of service-menu level adjustments, not user level.)

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
sourcery is offline  
post #3069 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Member
 
captdan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammyha View Post

Count me as another for the 73831 pricing and where to get.

Me too ( Iwan't to see the price difference between it and my 73732)
captdan27 is offline  
post #3070 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i wanted to share my initial opinions on the DFI feature since i assume that some peeps might be interested. the DFI demo mode runs in a split screen and allows you to see side by side the difference between dfi on and off. for the most part, the differences are so subtle that you'll end up spending too much time looking for the better setting. currently, i've got DFI on and i'll probably leave it there until i really spend some time calibrating the tv. when i do go to calibrate the set, i'll start with the DFI turned off because i think the positive aspects of DFI can be achieved through adjustments in the user menus. if you have, or plan to purchase a 732, you can probably pretty closely emulate the results of the DFI with adjustments to your various color, brightness and contrast settings.

now, my background is in graphic design in print media, so i'm approaching this from that perspective. what the DFI seems to be doing is very similar to the process of adjusting image levels in photoshop. Basically the shadows are being darkened, the highlights are being brightened, and the midtones... well, you got me. they are either being held constant, or there is some center value where all shades above that value are brightened and all shades below that value are darkened. anyway, this is how it appears to me.

and it is subtle... because it has to be. the problem is, i don't know if it is subtle enough. the DFI is throwing in one more little push of contrast, but it seems to be doing it not only between dark and light, but between the shadows and the midtones and the midtones and the highlights. my experience, again not directly related to video, is that by doing this, you run a much higher risk of banding issues and losing that nice smooth gradient from lights to darks. although i have not seen any banding problems, there were times yesterday that i felt the DFI was pushing the highlights a little too hard and i thought i was losing some detail in the lighter midtones.

anyway, don't know if this helps, but that's what my experience was with it. i'm going to leave it on for now because it does add depth to the OTB settings, but i'll be turning it off in the near future.
Smeeg is offline  
post #3071 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Longshot, Smeeg, Jasodan, and other early adopters, thanks for your input. Sounds like the set is definitely meeting or exceeding your expectations.

Any negatives or nitpicks you can think of? Something you wish they would have included? Something they added that seems unnecessary?

so far, i wish it had a second tuner. other than that, it's awesome
Smeeg is offline  
post #3072 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Newbie
 
Wilburforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking I had maybe found my TV, the 73831 until someone on the other thread mentioned that the 73 inchers don't have the 6-Color Light Engine. Any other people thinking 73 inches worried about that or have any info?
Wilburforce is offline  
post #3073 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mixdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburforce View Post

I was thinking I had maybe found my TV, the 73831 until someone on the other thread mentioned that the 73 inchers don't have the 6-Color Light Engine. Any other people thinking 73 inches worried about that or have any info?


This is why I am waiting for a couple of more comparisons to the 57831's and 65831's before I pull the trigger. I want to see how the color stacks up between the 6 color sets and the 73831.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Mixdoctor is offline  
post #3074 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
rlu929s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MO
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From what others have said the 73" will use a new technology so it still looks just as good. Look back in the thread for some of PARASITES posts.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
rlu929s is offline  
post #3075 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i don't know if this means anything, but in the owner's manual the 57 & 65831 are listed as having a .65" DLP chip, the chip in the 73" model is listed at .843"
Smeeg is offline  
post #3076 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
these are my current settings for anyone interested:

DFI: on
SharpEdge: off
VideoNoise: low
Picture Mode: natural
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 34
Color: 35
Tint: 33
Brightness: 29
Color Temp: high
Smeeg is offline  
post #3077 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Member
 
meverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

The Giants/Colts game on NBC last night was incredible. This is especially surprising because it is 180 degrees from the Dolphins/Steelers which was gawd awful.

This set takes no prisoners. If the feed is compromised you will definitely notice. The Texas/OSU game was unwatchable at some points. I thought it was the tv, it's the source. Really looking forward to the ESPN broadcast tonight here in Redskins country.


John,

"Wilberforce" ws referring to motion, I believe. I'm thinking you are talking about
PQ. How, specifically, does the set handle motion on football games. Is there
blurring, ghosting, etc., on motion? I've seen no answers about this yet, even though it's been asked a few times. I would suspect it looks OK, but it would be nice to hear from a user. Thanks in advance!

Mark
meverly is offline  
post #3078 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Member
 
trgonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plano Tx
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

these are my current settings for anyone interested:

DFI: on
SharpEdge: off
VideoNoise: low
Picture Mode: natural
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 34
Color: 35
Tint: 33
Brightness: 29
Color Temp: high

What set are you refering to... I tryied to look back and can't find what set you have...

Thanks for the info..

TG

TR-Gonz

"Video without HD is like TV without color"
trgonz is offline  
post #3079 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i've got the 57831
Smeeg is offline  
post #3080 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Member
 
trgonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plano Tx
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

i've got the 57831


Thanks again...

TR-Gonz

"Video without HD is like TV without color"
trgonz is offline  
post #3081 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Smeeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasodan View Post

Here are my latest settings after using Avia's test patterns.

Picture Mode - Natural (it is not too dim, especially not for movies)
Color Temp -High (did not like the yellow look of Low setting)
Deep Field Imager - off
Sharp Edge - off
Video noise - low (didn't notice a big difference on what setting it was at)
Sharpness - 0 (anywhere from 0 to 10 was just fine when using Avia)
Contrast - 50 (anywhere from 45-63 was about the same when using Avia but does affect how the brightness test pattern looks)
Brightness - 18 (anywhere from 16-20 was about the same when using Avia but does affect how contrast test pattern looks)
Color - 40 (Perfect setting when using Avia thru a blue filter)
Tint - 32 (Perfect setting when using Avia thru a blue filter)
Perfect Color and Perfect Tint - I have not played with this yet so it is still at factory settings default.

you're really not wanting to enjoy your tv are you? i've got to have a little more sharpness and bite than that... not brilliant bite, but you know what i'm saying
Smeeg is offline  
post #3082 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Member
 
hotpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: oc
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

My suggestion: Continue to use this thread for issues and discussion common to all the 2007 Mitsubishis, but start owners threads specific to the 731s, 732s and 831s.

The 2007 Mitsubishi 57 and 65 831 Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK] thread might serve for the 831.

We just need a 731 owner and a 732 owner to start the model-specific threads.

i started a thread for the 731 series. hope 731 owners can come and share.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=722331
hotpot is offline  
post #3083 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Yammyha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

This is why I am waiting for a couple of more comparisons to the 57831's and 65831's before I pull the trigger. I want to see how the color stacks up between the 6 color sets and the 73831.

I'm waiting for the same info. I want the 73, but don't want to go backwards.
Yammyha is offline  
post #3084 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
eawil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

it looks like i've got about 3.3% on the top and bottom and 3.2% on the left and right. my lines are totally straight, no rotation. there are no options for adjusting overscan in the user menus. i haven't ventured into the service menu.

Seems about normal for these sets... I guess I just wish that there was a straight 1:1 mapping on the pixels shown: no overscan.

I always wonder why digital tv manufacturers still have overscan. I guess it is one of life's little mysteries.
eawil is offline  
post #3085 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Newbie
 
Honey Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 65831 set up and wanted to share a photo.
Still messing with settings but absolutely beautiful!
Just in time for Monday night Football! Go Chargers!
LL
Honey Roll is offline  
post #3086 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Member
 
SailorKane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

i know its personal preference, but a 65831 at 10' would scare the shite out of me. i'd also be looking to purchase a defibrillator and a case of visine

Actually, based on a calculator that has been presented on one of these forums, the optimum THX distance for a 65" diagonal TV is between 7.3'-10.2'. The closer distance is 36 degrees field of view and represents the front row of a theatre. The 10.2 represents 26 degrees and is supposed to be the back row. "SMPTE" distance is 8.8' and represents 30 degrees. These distances are for a "total immersion" feel of a theatre.
SailorKane is offline  
post #3087 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Member
 
SailorKane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I'm also looking for the 65831. I live in Tampa and the local Tweeter is a pain. If anyone has a good source, please PM me with retailer and price?

(I've gotten some info so far, and thanks).
SailorKane is offline  
post #3088 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

i wanted to share my initial opinions on the DFI feature since i assume that some peeps might be interested. the DFI demo mode runs in a split screen and allows you to see side by side the difference between dfi on and off. for the most part, the differences are so subtle that you'll end up spending too much time looking for the better setting. currently, i've got DFI on and i'll probably leave it there until i really spend some time calibrating the tv. when i do go to calibrate the set, i'll start with the DFI turned off because i think the positive aspects of DFI can be achieved through adjustments in the user menus. if you have, or plan to purchase a 732, you can probably pretty closely emulate the results of the DFI with adjustments to your various color, brightness and contrast settings.

now, my background is in graphic design in print media, so i'm approaching this from that perspective. what the DFI seems to be doing is very similar to the process of adjusting image levels in photoshop. Basically the shadows are being darkened, the highlights are being brightened, and the midtones... well, you got me. they are either being held constant, or there is some center value where all shades above that value are brightened and all shades below that value are darkened. anyway, this is how it appears to me.

and it is subtle... because it has to be. the problem is, i don't know if it is subtle enough. the DFI is throwing in one more little push of contrast, but it seems to be doing it not only between dark and light, but between the shadows and the midtones and the midtones and the highlights. my experience, again not directly related to video, is that by doing this, you run a much higher risk of banding issues and losing that nice smooth gradient from lights to darks. although i have not seen any banding problems, there were times yesterday that i felt the DFI was pushing the highlights a little too hard and i thought i was losing some detail in the lighter midtones.

anyway, don't know if this helps, but that's what my experience was with it. i'm going to leave it on for now because it does add depth to the OTB settings, but i'll be turning it off in the near future.

Using a cross steps pattern might help see the differences when DFI is switched off and on.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #3089 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Member
 
cbm2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I agree they do a Good Job but HD DVD slightly better with Standard DVD's - but the difference as you may know is what the HD DVD can do what the other players can NEVER DO - HD DVD content and sound just simply is at another level over any upconvert player and sure if you want to settle for less than - by all means go ahead or perhaps buy my Oppo 971 or Samsung upconvert as they no longer get used in my home - even though the Tosh can be buggy with some HDMI Audio - it's simply head and shoulders above the OPPO for what it does with an HD Disk - the Oppo simply cannot equal it so you save $300 for a less than experience on a $4K TV - doesn't make sense to me.

Ask anyone that's popped in their first HD Disk at the clarity and sound presentation - it's definitely a difference maker no Oppo can replicate and HD DVD rentals don't cost any more money through Netflix than standard - you just register and any HD Disks are defaulted as your choice and I had the same concerns of SD DVD's which with most they also look better.

Westa,
When I look at Netflix, I only see 20 HD-DVDs. That's not much of a selection, or am I not getting the full list?
cbm2006 is offline  
post #3090 of 9416 Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
SCA
Member
 
SCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon00 View Post

does anyone have the 57"?
if so what stand did you go with? what's the recommended height?

thanks



I bought the same stand other members in this thread have purchased from Best Buy. It is made by Bush. Search through this thread and you'll find a link.
SCA is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off