Old 09-12-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangedup View Post

You are not hearing the color wheel.....you are hearing air moving threw your set via the fans. It works like your event above your stove. when it is on high it will be a lot louder than when on low, b/c of the amount of air it is sucking out of the room. The easiest fix to this is to lower the spin speed and use a different angle on the fins of the fan to allow more air movement. Once you hear the fan you will pick up on it, however just like bad audio the more you listen to your Bose speakers the more you get use to bad audio and you cannot understand what is so bad about Bose. I apologize in advance for my rant.

Bose abuse. I love it! Anyone got $4,000 to piss away on a Lifestyle 48?

John McAdams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 PM

I'm having problems uploading my pics on here due to the files being WAY too large. If you can help I'd greatly appreciate it. PM me and I will email them to wherever you need.
Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 PM

the manual provides some instructions and a specific Mitsubishi fluid for cleaning the screen.

Do I need that fluid or is something I can pick up locally to do the job.?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitterguy73 View Post

My 65831 showed up this morning and thanks to $20 to the driver to help put it on my stand it's up and running. Amazing picture. I have a sony upconversion DVD player and a Comcast DVR both hooked up via HDMI. I have Xbox 360, obviously on componet and PS2 which I probalby won't be trying anytime soon. I'll have to work with my pics because the files will be too big but I will get them on as soon as I can. Both my Wife and I had our Jaws on the floor with Finding Nemo on the upconversion DVD.

Please report on game lag or any other game-related issues with your Xbox 360 when you get a chance to test it.

Thanks,
Dave

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

Old 09-12-2006, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAS ZOSS View Post

I ordered my 65831 From ABT Aug 18th, Have been in Guam working For the last 3 weeks. Has any one heard when ABT expects them in. Thanks

I just talked to ABT and they will be in by the end of the week. Eight of the twenty are pre-sold which means you are one of the eight. I haven't made up my mind to go XBR2 or Mits.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

Please report on game lag or any other game-related issues with your Xbox 360 when you get a chance to test it.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
Absolutely no game lag. I played PGR 3, GRAW, Dead Rising and Madden 07. Obviously, I didn't play more then 5 min on each but I didn't see a thing. It looked as smooth as playing on my older tube tv. It's just hard to concentrate on playing the games while your jaw is on the floor with the beautiful graphics.

Ryan
Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I just talked to ABT and they will be in by the end of the week. Eight of the twenty are pre-sold which means you are one of the eight. I haven't made up my mind to go XBR2 or Mits.

Whew!!! Glad I cancelled that order from Abt a month ago!
Old 09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

I currenly am trying a 50" A2000 and I am very impressed with HD PQ...No green or red blob and the pq is fantastic.
I do want the best of the best so I definitely still have my eye out for this 831
...can anyone tell me what use the firewire could be ? Could I record HD to an external HD ?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM

Parasite, here is the calculation on screen size for 73" set. For THX, 26-36 degree field of view calculates out to 8.2-11.5'. The SMPTE recommendation of 30 degrees calculates to 9.9'. Again, this is for the "total immersion" feel for movies. Someone pointed out that they would not like this total immersion feel for CNN or regular TV. So this is perhaps just one data point. Your tastes may vary.
The calculator can be found at: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html.
This was posted on some previous post in this forum.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

On a side note..
Its very hard to judge TV's reading these owner threads ...every owner thread forum has owners saying the PQ on the New JVC, Sammy HLS, Sony A2000 is "mind blowing", Jaw-dropping", "amazing" , "fill in adjective here"

Sometimes its hard to tell what is real and what is everyone convincing themself and everyone else that they made the best purchase possible. IM not railing on anyone....Im just saying thats what I am observing.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:43 PM

Old 09-12-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog2004 View Post

On a side note..
Its very hard to judge TV's reading these owner threads ...every owner thread forum has owners saying the PQ on the New JVC, Sammy HLS, Sony A2000 is "mind blowing", Jaw-dropping", "amazing" , "fill in adjective here"

Sometimes its hard to tell what is real and what is everyone convincing themself and everyone else that they made the best purchase possible. IM not railing on anyone....Im just saying thats what I am observing.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

What I have found is that you have to read a lot of post in order to pull out an occassional pearl of information.

And you pretty much have to disregard those who use the adjectives you mentioned along with "knock your socks off".

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a side note..

I don't consider myself "convincing" anyone. I try and give an honest evaluation of what I see. I think I have a pretty good sense of what I'm saying. IMO the 65831 is the best RPTV on the market right now based on size, features and price.

John McAdams
Old 09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

I'm still waiting for the 831, however in the meantime seeing and showing the 732
everyday here at the store is holding me over until we get one in. put it this way, We have the 60a2000 less then 20ft away from the 65732 in better lighting, and we havnt sold one single a2000 since we got the 732 on display. I still stand by my post in were I say turn off the DFI and adjust the contrast and brightness to get the right blacks and shadow detail. The DFI darkens shadows too much for my taste, while at the same time kinda doing some edge enhancement of dark scenes. By turning it off you adjust the entire contrast range of the whole screen equally not just sections. I will also note that you get more shadow detail by doing this. Also I have found what really the three lamp settings are usefull for.
Honestly with the tv set to natural you do get great blacks but you must have a room that is fairly dark or you lose shadow detail because the ambient light of the room crushes the shadows. With natural setting and a dark room like at night with lights off will get you a really good cinematic almost film like image. However in the daytime its gonna be to dark in the darkest areas of the picture. The brilliant setting as I have played around with really is the setting that will make the colors look cartoony. If you like the pioneer or panasonic plasma panels that have jacked up colors and no "I'm not saying this is a bad thing just a preference"
then by all means use the briliant setting. My observations of the brilliant setting make the tv have very bright whites, great shadow detail and a touch less inky blacks. Whatever SSE you see will probally be the most on the brilliant setting because you are basically putting a magnifying glass on the texture screen. I also notice that in brilliant mode the primary colors are very intense, almost too intense, even with the color setting turned down. Bottom line here if you put the tv in a sun room knock yourself out. In real world living rooms with real lighting during the day the bright setting imo is the best setting to use and here is why: Still maintains the inky blacks and great shadow detail, primary colors are not jacked up and look natural, Whites are white not overly white so you dont lose detail in a white scene like a snow covered mountain or a sandy white beach. The biggest thing I have noticed is the tv has better gamma at the bright setting not over achieving in any area. I would even say unless you have a prefect dark room with controled lighting the bright setting is probally good for your nightime livingroom watching. Hope this clears a few things up for people wondering about the three lamp settings. These are not iris settings the iris is dynamic in all modes and the big diffrence between this and the sony is you cant see it work.
OK I"M SPENT
Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

I'm still waiting for the 831, however in the meantime seeing and showing the 732
everyday here at the store is holding me over until we get one in. put it this way, We have the 60a2000 less then 20ft away from the 65732 in better lighting, and we havnt sold one single a2000 since we got the 732 on display. I still stand by my post in were I say turn off the DFI and adjust the contrast and brightness to get the right blacks and shadow detail. The DFI darkens shadows too much for my taste, while at the same time kinda doing some edge enhancement of dark scenes. By turning it off you adjust the entire contrast range of the whole screen equally not just sections. I will also note that you get more shadow detail by doing this. Also I have found what really the three lamp settings are usefull for.
Honestly with the tv set to natural you do get great blacks but you must have a room that is fairly dark or you lose shadow detail because the ambient light of the room crushes the shadows. With natural setting and a dark room like at night with lights off will get you a really good cinematic almost film like image. However in the daytime its gonna be to dark in the darkest areas of the picture. The brilliant setting as I have played around with really is the setting that will make the colors look cartoony. If you like the pioneer or panasonic plasma panels that have jacked up colors and no "I'm not saying this is a bad thing just a preference"
then by all means use the briliant setting. My observations of the brilliant setting make the tv have very bright whites, great shadow detail and a touch less inky blacks. Whatever SSE you see will probally be the most on the brilliant setting because you are basically putting a magnifying glass on the texture screen. I also notice that in brilliant mode the primary colors are very intense, almost too intense, even with the color setting turned down. Bottom line here if you put the tv in a sun room knock yourself out. In real world living rooms with real lighting during the day the bright setting imo is the best setting to use and here is why: Still maintains the inky blacks and great shadow detail, primary colors are not jacked up and look natural, Whites are white not overly white so you dont lose detail in a white scene like a snow covered mountain or a sandy white beach. The biggest thing I have noticed is the tv has better gamma at the bright setting not over achieving in any area. I would even say unless you have a prefect dark room with controled lighting the bright setting is probally good for your nightime livingroom watching. Hope this clears a few things up for people wondering about the three lamp settings. These are not iris settings the iris is dynamic in all modes and the big diffrence between this and the sony is you cant see it work.
OK I"M SPENT

Parasite,

Great post as usual. I've had the DFI "on" in Natural settinge. I'll give it a try tonight with the DFI off and see what happens. This is pretty much what Smeeg said also. Everything you mentioned in previous posts in regards to the 65831 is true.

John McAdams
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:

I currenly am trying a 50" A2000 and I am very impressed with HD PQ...No green or red blob and the pq is fantastic.
I do want the best of the best so I definitely still have my eye out for this 831
...can anyone tell me what use the firewire could be ? Could I record HD to an external HD ?

I don't know about a stand-alone Hard Drive. The Mitsubishi manual is packaged with a flyer from a company selling a software product that makes your PC emulate a Digital VCR. With the SW you connect the Mits to the PC through the firewire and you can control the recording and play-back of programming through the TV remote. For copyright protection reasons, though, there are restrictions in the Mits about which programming inputs will be passed through to be recorded.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Please post your impressions after you see it. I think you and I are hunting after the same things in a new set. (I may be wrong on this, but weren't you, at one time, contemplating getting a Pansonic plasma? If so, what changed your decision?)

Yes, i am a plasma guy, and since my main goal in life is achieving great shadow detail, the Panny plasma was awesome (the 50/500 series). I came to love the new 7th generation Pioneer plasma even better though because of the screen. To me, no other display touches the Pioneer plasma except maybe the "industrial 8UK" Panny plasma. However, a plasma isn't a good choice for what i plan on doing at home so plan B was the A2000 and now the 831 series. The reason the A2000 was my first choice was shadow detail, but the color bleeding has not been corrected. The 831 is now on top of my list (the only DLP i would consider) because of the new screen. Once i heard it was more plasma like i jumped into this thread. But i'm still trying to determine the level of shadow detail i can achieve with the 831. I still haven't been able to touch one in person.
I have premium cable, all the movie channels, i cannot watch a display that crushes blacks, especially in films, i have to see every detail that is supposed to be on the screen. As someone who works in the industry, i know a lot of people put time and effort into costume designing, cinematography, FX, etc, and that these details need to be seen. If i can't see a lapel on a suit i freak out.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

lipcrkr,
We'lln be in interested in hearing what you have to say about the 831 once you got your hands on one
Old 09-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

everyday here at the store is holding me over until we get one in. put it this way, We have the 60a2000 less then 20ft away from the 65732 in better lighting, and we havnt sold one single a2000 since we got the 732 on display.

Interesting that you say this. Ive viewed the 731 and A2000 right next to each other---didnt really see a huge difference one way or the other.
People here have posted side by side comparisons of the 731 and 732 and said its hard to tell the difference...so I guess I am wondering what would make your store so different than any other. Maybe you spent time calibrating the Mitsu and not the sony ? Im not saying your incorrect I guess I just dont see this big "night and day" difference in the panels. I have an interest in both for sure....
Old 09-12-2006, 07:15 PM

I saw the 731 and 732 next to an A2000 and XBR1 today. The Mitsu's looked much better. Brighter, more detailed, and richer colors. I ordered the 831 a few minutes afterwards, lol.

PARASITE- when do you expect your 831's in the warehouse or in stock?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btherndon View Post

How about a quick definition of SSE?

Basically sparklies in white areas Check this post

If you have ever cleaned a crt or lcd screen, you'll see the effect when the screen is still wet.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:53 PM

Has anyone tried the cablecard with the 831? I was wondering how it compared with the STB.
Please pardon if this has been posted.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:59 PM
SCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by largdiag View Post

the manual provides some instructions and a specific Mitsubishi fluid for cleaning the screen.

Do I need that fluid or is something I can pick up locally to do the job.?

Audio Quest makes a good screen cleaner.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The best thing that I have found is GE Cleaner for Lexan. It is sold at Home Depot in the area where they sell panes. They also have a bundle of microfiber cloths. I have tested the cleaner extensively on lenses, screens, and numerous plastics and even after leaving it on for long periods it is safe and does not leave streaks. At $3 per quart it is cheap, too.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
Old 09-12-2006, 08:37 PM

If anyone knows of a place in North Carolina that has a 65831 please pm me.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLB View Post

I saw the 731 and 732 next to an A2000 and XBR1 today. The Mitsu's looked much better. Brighter, more detailed, and richer colors. I ordered the 831 a few minutes afterwards, lol.

PARASITE- when do you expect your 831's in the warehouse or in stock?

That's wild. I compared an A2000 and 732 at BB last weekend for about 30 minutes. The A2000 was obviously brighter and "punchier" with richer color, both when viewed directly and especially when viewed at an angle (the 732 looked washed out at a 45 degree angle, the SXRD pic still looked strong). Dissappointing for me because I was hoping to jump onto the Mits bandwagon.

In the 732's favor, I think it's representation of flesh tones was more accurate.

If the Mits you saw looked "much better" than the A2000, either the Mits I saw was calibrated horribly or defective, or the A2000 you saw was calibrated horribly or defective.

If the SXRDs didn't have QC/design defect problems (i.e. green blob, etc.), I'd probably pull the trigger on one immediately. At the moment (for me), the choice seems to be between a picture I prefer (SXRD A2000/XBR/XBR2) vs. a picture that might be less prone to green blobs (831). Ugh. I wish the choice was more clear.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro777 View Post

That's wild. I compared an A2000 and 732 at BB last weekend for about 30 minutes. The A2000 was obviously brighter and "punchier" with richer color, both when viewed directly and especially when viewed at an angle (the 732 looked washed out at a 45 degree angle, the SXRD pic still looked strong). Dissappointing for me because I was hoping to jump onto the Mits bandwagon.

Did you play around with the settings on both sets? have you read CNET reviewof the A2000? were youlooking at similar feeds on both sets? was one feed from a HD? did you look at how both sets handle less than perfect signal such as SD?

Do I have to go on and on? Have you read the UA review of the A2000? Did you have your glasses on?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm2006 View Post

Has anyone tried the cablecard with the 831? I was wondering how it compared with the STB.
Please pardon if this has been posted.

not with the 831 but the 732. I have DVER (via HDMI) and cable card (Ant1) installed along with direct cable input to Ant 2.
PQ is identical to my eye between the cable card, Motorola DVR and direct cable in to the TV. This with 1080i. the Mitz will decode the HD broadcasts without the cable card i guess as they put them on the cable. DVR via HDMI.

The Mits TV guide that your have to use with the cable card is not as good or as fast as the DVR guide. Also the direct in on Ant2 inherits the cable card channel lineup I guess. When cable card not installed it the TV guide loads a different line up for ANt 2. when signals are sent to the cable box, you get tiling on the digital channels when viewed with cable card.

Cable card + DVR is nice as you can set two recordings on the DVR and still be free to flip around channels using the Cable card, or if you dont have premium stuff, you can go without the card and just direct in with the cable input.

Another nice feature is PIP. Since Mits is single tuner tv, Now you can use the Mits split screen to view Ant1 while viewing DVR material when input via hdmi. Also you can view two HD channels with surprised me.

Of course the obvious is no two way comm with cable card to buy movies.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I compared an A2000 and 732 at BB last weekend for about 30 minutes. The A2000 was obviously brighter and "punchier" with richer color, both when viewed directly and especially when viewed at an angle (the 732 looked washed out at a 45 degree angle, the SXRD pic still looked strong). Dissappointing for me because I was hoping to jump onto the Mits bandwagon.

If you didn't tweak both sets to your liking, a valid relative comparison is not possible.

I spent 2.5 hours last Saturday comparing an A2000 against a 65732. I did tweak both sets to my liking. I thought the 65732 won on more categories than it lost.

I thought the 65732 had deeper blacks, and better shadow detail (more often than not.)

However, more often than not, the A2000 provided a more depthy, 3-D image than did the 65732 (although the difference was usually subtle.) The A2000 had a slightly more "liquid" look than the 65732 (or you could instead say the 65732 looked slightly "dryer.")

The only reason I consider the contest a draw overall is because of the value I place on the "depthy," 3-D, more liquid look of the SXRD sets. I weight this very strongly. With different weightings for the various categories, it's quite likely the 65732 would be declared the winner.

I have yet to see an 831.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:

In the 732's favor, I think it's representation of flesh tones was more accurate.

If the Mits you saw looked "much better" than the A2000, either the Mits I saw was calibrated horribly or defective, or the A2000 you saw was calibrated horribly or defective.

If the SXRDs didn't have QC/design defect problems (i.e. green blob, etc.), I'd probably pull the trigger on one immediately. At the moment (for me), the choice seems to be between a picture I prefer (SXRD A2000/XBR/XBR2) vs. a picture that might be less prone to green blobs (831). Ugh. I wish the choice was more clear.

That's some wierd and wild stuff. You call the A2000 brighter and punchier. The brightness I saw from the Sony was the red push.

The 731, and even the Sami 60"87 series had better color to my eyes while the A2000 seemed to be just as soft (washed out)looking as last years model.