2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I said from day one that SD on these sets sucks. I'm willing to accept this because I watch very little SD. I don't blame the Mits it is definitely the source. Garbage in garbage out. The Mits accentuates the problems of SD IMO. One can spend a few thousand on the Algolith Mosquito or the DVDO 30? if they are obsessed with improving pq on SD.

And that's why I want this set, Mits didn't compromise the strength of its system (HD) to compensate for SD. Trust me, if cable and local television was at the 50% threshhold for HD capability, no one would care how SD looked on any set, but because its not we want to get the most out of our set because of the price. I am buying an HDTV for just that---HD, I'm not expecting it to be "backwards compatable", that's like spending $3k on a receiver then complaining that AM talk radio sounds crappy

Adults are just kids who owe money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpetrozelli View Post

And that's why I want this set, Mits didn't compromise the strength of its system (HD) to compensate for SD. Trust me, if cable and local television was at the 50% threshhold for HD capability, no one would care how SD looked on any set, but because its not we want to get the most oot of our set because of the price. I am buying an HDTV for just that---HD, I'm not expecting it to be "backwards capatable", that's like spending $3k on a receiver then complaining that AM talk radio sounds crappy

Can I have an amen?

I'm so sick of reading the complaints about SD. If the majority of your viewing is SD don't buy a 1080P HDTV! Especially this HDTV!

By the way my receiver only sounds crappy on AM when I tune in "The Rush Limbaugh Show"

John McAdams
post #3243 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Is anyone contemplating getting their XX73X or XX831 professionally calibrated. This is my first Mits purchase (65732) and was curious how "friendly" the Mits' are for calibrating.

No. Just go by the settings that Smeeg and Parasite are recommending for the 831.Save the $600 and buy a nice shiny new BluRay player that will be available in the next 45-60 days.

This is another reason I did not choose the Samsung. You need to add another $600 to the overall cost to get the optimal picture.

John McAdams
post #3244 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Not true on SD a TV can do both well. My 50" XBR1 does both well....HD better, but both well. Just because it is HD doesn't mean SD will suck. It of course will not be as good as HD, but it can be pleasant to watch.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #3245 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Regrettably I find Comedy Central to be really poor on any large panel in fact I rarely watch it now unless it's on my 23" LCD in the Kitchen, it's one of those cable channels in SD that plain sucks on my Comcast anyways yet I have others that are close to HD and if any channel could use an overhaul to HD it's Comedy Central and after viewing HD about 80+% of the time it so noticeable now that I rarely view it over the past year.

Heah Doc
- I owned a 60" SXRD and SD was horrendous on that TV what have you done that makes it otherwise? The TV was Heaven with HD but HELL with SD and many owners reported the same so how is it your in here reporting such quality from SD? It was downright Blurry on a 60" and my Sharp LCD 45" FP handles SD much better but then again it's 15" smaller. My viewing is Component with HD STB and HDMI via HD DVD.

However, no way I'd give up a 1080 HT TV for an SD channel I'll rent what I like from netflix perhaps or wait until I have my new DVDO VP50 for use. All buyers should understand that some SD sucks while others are close to HD quality.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3246 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I assume that you guys are watching the SD channels using HDMI cable. How about using component or even S-video for the SD channels....and just switch the input when you watch SD.

Can you test that out?

Thanks
post #3247 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Regrettably I find Comedy Central to be really poor on any large panel in fact I rarely watch it now unless it's on my 23" LCD in the Kitchen, it's one of those cable channels in SD that plain sucks on my Comcast anyways yet I have others that are close to HD and if any channel could use an overhaul to HD it's Comedy Central and after viewing HD about 80+% of the time it so noticeable now that I rarely view it over the past year.

Heah Doc
- I owned a 60" SXRD and SD was horrendous on that TV what have you done that makes it otherwise? The TV was Heaven with HD but HELL with SD and many owners reported the same so how is it your in here reporting such quality from SD? It was downright Blurry on a 60" and my Sharp LCD 45" FP handles SD much better but then again it's 15" smaller. My viewing is Component with HD STB and HDMI via HD DVD.

However, no way I'd give up a 1080 HT TV for an SD channel I'll rent what I like from netflix perhaps or wait until I have my new DVDO VP50 for use. All buyers should understand that some SD sucks while others are close to HD quality.

Westa,

Have you had the chance to see the 65831 yet? Curious as to your opinions even though you won't be viewing in an optimal environment.

John McAdams
post #3248 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Rock Star SuperNova last night on CBS. This was not in HD but was better than SD. Miles better. I guess this was my local station in "Digital"? What is the resolution of the Digital Channels?

John McAdams
post #3249 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 AM

HOW IS THE PQ ON BETTER SD FEEDS SUCH AS THE GOLF CHANNEL AND ANIMAL PLANET AND THE HGTV CHANNELS?

I am looking at the 65831 or the 73732 set for my family room and no one in my area has these sets available, so I was going to purchase on line. HOWEVER, this set for me to purchase does need to do a good job of handlyling the sd channels. I have the Sony FP "RUBY" FP on a 120 screen upstairs in a HT room and it handles the SD channels just fine. NO not HD PQ but very watchable, so a set with good video processing can do an OK job on most SD channels.

CAN you owners out there comment on the PQ for the Golf channel, Animal planet and the Home Impr shows, as wll as the GAME show (need this for the POKER shows) Thanks
post #3250 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

By the way my receiver only sounds crappy on AM when I tune in "The Rush Limbaugh Show"

That's really strange, because he sounds great on ALL my radios.....

I suggest you buy a MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE tuner and try again.....

Dave

post #3251 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

YES....unless you want headaches

Well that will not be cool. I might actually reconsider making the purchase in that case. 57" is not that much bigger than my 42" plasma.

What if this primarily was just the Movie watching set?

I got the HD package from DISH and me being not big into watching sports I must say there really is crap on.

So I might not even have HDTV much longer downstairs.

So maybe a 65" would be good to get that Theater feel and won't bother us only watch a movie here and there.

Most SD watching and probably TV watching will stay with my EDTV plasma upstairs.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #3252 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Watched Rock Star SuperNova last night on CBS. This was not in HD but was better than SD. Miles better. I guess this was my local station in "Digital"? What is the resolution of the Digital Channels?

480p at a bitrate that's much higher than most satellite/cable digital SD channels.
post #3253 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Heah Doc

By keeping the brightness and contrast relatively low, keeping the iris on 2. This keeps the SSE low and the noise down on the bad SD channels, I had a 62HM195 which even though it was larger, didn't do SD as well. I use the HDMI for both SD and HD using an SA 8300HD cable box.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #3254 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post

Well that will not be cool. I might actually reconsider making the purchase in that case. 57" is not that much bigger than my 42" plasma.

What if this primarily was just the Movie watching set?

I got the HD package from DISH and me being not big into watching sports I must say there really is crap on.

So I might not even have HDTV much longer downstairs.

So maybe a 65" would be good to get that Theater feel and won't bother us only watch a movie here and there.

Most SD watching and probably TV watching will stay with my EDTV plasma upstairs.

I can tell you that I saw the Tosh HD-DVD plays a regular DVD, King Kong, on a sony 1080 LCD and it was awesome. So, for movie, and HD-DVD.... you'll be amazed.
post #3255 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Hopefully even with a 65" at 8ft

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #3256 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As usual, Westa is right. SD quality, even on satellite, varies greatly from channel to channel. On E*, FX is horrid, as is TBS, and I've got a CRT-RPTV. AMC, on the other hand is damn good, as are the digital local OTA channels (like Rockstar referred to above). Your connection method makes a big difference, as well. SD via S-video is often better than through component, for example. Perhaps the same is so re HDMI, though I have no experience there. Also, the bigger the set (or the closer you sit), the worse SD will look.

If you want good SD, sitting further back or getting a smaller set (57 v 65 or 73) and using the noise reduction feature of the Mits will likely help.

Go Duke !
post #3257 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 02:24 PM

OK, I miss the days when you bought a nice TV for $900 and then had it for 12-15 years or more. TV's today are just like computers and it's tuff to keep up with teh changing technology.

I was ready to go for the 60" A2000 series as I liked the smoothness of LCOS, but I have seen some look great, some look crappy and there issues of consistency and reliability.

I started looking into the Mitsubishi DLP sets instead and have heard good things. I saw 57831 the other day and it was pretty sweet. I couldn't tell about rainbows as all it was playing was bright outdoors kind of stuff. I would like to get the 65831, but things keep changing so fast and it is a LOT of money. I have seen the 65732 several times at different stores, but I have not seen it look remotely good, in large part due to the feed I guess. Is it as good as folks seem to think?

So my question. If the 65732 is pretty good (not best) I'm thinking of getting it at Costco and using it for a a few years and then doing an exchange when better sets come out at the same price point. That way I'm not locked into a set that gets more outdated each year.

Is the 65732 good enough for those of you that have seen it set up well?

Thanks
post #3258 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

What is good enough?
post #3259 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I would like to get the 65831, but things keep changing so fast and it is a LOT of money.

fyi, I got the 65831 for less than both the 57831 AND 65732 from Tw**ter

post #3260 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 03:34 PM

Hey Rudy,
I know "good enough" tough to say, but I'm simply asking if the 65732 would be good enough for you to watch on a temporary basis knowing you could swap it out later.

mlpetrozelli - would you mind PM'ing me the price you got? I've been working with a local retail on the 65831 and I'm curious how much flex he may really have.

Thanks
post #3261 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

By keeping the brightness and contrast relatively low, keeping the iris on 2. This keeps the SSE low and the noise down on the bad SD channels, I had a 62HM195 which even though it was larger, didn't do SD as well. I use the HDMI for both SD and HD using an SA 8300HD cable box.

Regarding the SA 8300HD STB (assuming you're on the SARA firmware)...

Are you aware that:

** Component provides a better picture than HDMI? (this is the consensus in the various theads for this STB)

** In pairing with this series of Mitsus, you'll have more available "pass-through" resolutions via component. --When you go through the advanced setup wizard on the SA 8300HD, the following matrix shows what resolutions are available per output:
Code:
                -Understood By Mitu Via:-
_Resolution_______HDMI_______Component_________
  1080i            X             X
  720p             X             X
  480i std         -             X
  480i wide        X             X
  480p std         -             X
  480p wide        X             X

x = understood
- = not understood
For those resolutions not understood, the output will be upscaled to 1080i by the SA so its inferior scaler will be doing the majority of the work. Also, upscaled to HD resolution, the Mitsu will then only allow viewing in "STANDARD" or "WIDE EXPAND" (neither of which help SD at all).
post #3262 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I would also appreciate it if you could PM me the price you got on the 65831 at Tweeter's and the location. We currently have a 60A2000 from Tweeters that we are going to upgrade either to the 65831 or the XBR2.
post #3263 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I thought it was in HD last week. full wide screen.
but this week it was only partial wide., still hd I think but not the full 1080i.
post #3264 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post

Regarding the SA 8300HD STB (assuming you're on the SARA firmware)...

Are you aware that:

** Component provides a better picture than HDMI? (this is the consensus in the various theads for this STB)

** In pairing with this series of Mitsus, you'll have more available "pass-through" resolutions via component. --When you go through the advanced setup wizard on the SA 8300HD, the following matrix shows what resolutions are available per output:
Code:
                -Understood By Mitu Via:-
_Resolution_______HDMI_______Component_________
  1080i            X             X
  720p             X             X
  480i std         -             X
  480i wide        X             X
  480p std         -             X
  480p wide        X             X

x = understood
- = not understood
For those resolutions not understood, the output will be upscaled to 1080i by the SA so its inferior scaler will be doing the majority of the work. Also, upscaled to HD resolution, the Mitsu will then only allow viewing in "STANDARD" or "WIDE EXPAND" (neither of which help SD at all).

I tried component and I prefer the picture of the HDMI. I just pass it through to the SXRD(which is what we were talking about) at 1080i, which lets the TV do the upscaling. Oh, I do expend the SD pic......the GF likes it that way, I kind of prefer it too.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #3265 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 PM

well now that I've ordered my 65831, couple quick questions:

1) do I need an OTA antenna to find addl. HD channels or is one built in?

2) anyone have box dimensions when delivered?

3) is an HD-DVD better for upconverting than an Oppo?

4) is the Mits stand worth the $$$ ?

post #3266 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l80241 View Post

Hey Rudy,
I know "good enough" tough to say, but I'm simply asking if the 65732 would be good enough for you to watch on a temporary basis knowing you could swap it out later.

mlpetrozelli - would you mind PM'ing me the price you got? I've been working with a local retail on the 65831 and I'm curious how much flex he may really have.

Thanks

I've seen the 731 & 732 in the store ...some from good signals and some from bad signals...and I personally think...it's good enough.
Wait till you hook it up to the Tosh HD-DVD player pr getting a good HD signal in your home.
post #3267 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please PM me with the price... I have a local Tweeter and Frys...if not I'll order online

Thanks
post #3268 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Well...I'm sort of...leaning toward a 831 but have been given some thoughts as to whether the 831 is worth the extra bucks...unless I can get a great deal.

Frys' will have the 831 up for me to view this coming Friday so I can't wait. The only problem is...Fry's has a very decent environment for viewing TV i.e. it's dark not bright. Therefore ...I suspect it will be hard for me to really judge the 831 since one of the biggest attribute of the screen is its ability to fend off glares.
In my viewing room at home...I have a 4 panel windows next to it but it only gets indirect sunlight during the daytime
post #3269 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

I tried component and I prefer the picture of the HDMI. I just pass it through to the SXRD(which is what we were talking about) at 1080i, which lets the TV do the upscaling. Oh, I do expend the SD pic......the GF likes it that way, I kind of prefer it too.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but to clarify, assuming the SXRD is a 1080p native set (I, admittedly, don't know anything about the Sonys), then the SXRD isn't doing any scaling (up or otherwise) at all. All it's doing is de-interlacing the 1080i to 1080p. It sounds like you have the SA STB in upconvert mode so it's sending EVERYTHING out at 1080i. This means your SA STB is still doing the majority of the work which is not the best scenario. Have you gone through the advanced setup wizard on the 8300 so that it can pass through and let your TV's better internals do all of the work? I gurantee your Sony will have a better picture if you let it (the TV) do its thing instead of having the SA 8300HD STB do it for you. (I know you have an SXRD and not a Mits...and that this is a Mits thread...just trying to help you get the most out of your current setup)

Here's the SA information on the wizard: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Exp...h=%22wizard%22
post #3270 of 9416 Old 09-13-2006, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but to clarify, assuming the SXRD is a 1080p native set (I, admittedly, don't know anything about the Sonys), then the SXRD isn't doing any scaling (up or otherwise) at all. All it's doing is de-interlacing the 1080i to 1080p. It sounds like you have the SA STB in upconvert mode so it's sending EVERYTHING out at 1080i. This means your SA STB is still doing the majority of the work which is not the best scenario. Have you gone through the advanced setup wizard on the 8300 so that it can pass through and let your TV's better internals do all of the work? I gurantee your Sony will have a better picture if you let it (the TV) do its thing instead of having the SA 8300HD STB do it for you. (I know you have an SXRD and not a Mits...and that this is a Mits thread...just trying to help you get the most out of your current setup)

Here's the SA information on the wizard: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Exp...h=%22wizard%22

I am doing a pass through....not the upconverting.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page