2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the 831 series have this?

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 05:27 AM

I just bought a Pioneer VSX-816K, it has no HDMI, digital audio in or TOSlink, so how do I connect it to my 65831?? This receiver just got great reviews in Sound and Vision as best bang for buck and CC online had it as their highest customer-rated receiver, yet I'm feeling that it doesn't have modern connects built in. Please don't tell me I have to go composite?

Here are the input specs btw:

Audio (Tuner Included) / Video Input 4A / 4AV
XM Ready
Audio/Video Output 1A / 1AV + 1V
Digital Inputs 5 (2 Coaxial, 2 Optical, 1 Front Optical)
Optical In 3
Coaxial In 2
Multi-Channel Input 5.1
Audio Preamp Output 7.1 Channel
Composite Video Input 4
Composite Video Output 1
S-Video Input 4
S-Video Output 2
Component Video Input 3
Component Video Output 1
Headphone Output 1
Front A/V Inputs A/V, S-Video, Optical
AC Outlet 1
Banana Speaker Terminal Large Speaker Terminal
SR Control SR+
Speaker A/B B Speaker or Bi-Amp

Adults are just kids who owe money
post #3963 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:

Right. We'll run HDMI from our STB and DVD players to the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 inputs on our TV and we'll run separate digital audio cables from our STB and DVD player to our receiver.

Maybe igorick answered my question, I guess I can run TOSlink from my XBox360 and HTPC to the receiver, and just run video to the set? I know I must be missing something here, sorry but the set is arriving tomorrow morning and I'm rethinking how this should be setup.

post #3964 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpetrozelli View Post

I just bought a Pioneer VSX-816K, it has no HDMI, digital audio in or TOSlink, so how do I connect it to my 65831?? This receiver just got great reviews in Sound and Vision as best bang for buck and CC online had it as their highest customer-rated receiver, yet I'm feeling that it doesn't have modern connects built in. Please don't tell me I have to go composite?

XM Ready
Optical In 3
Coaxial In 2
Multi-Channel Input 5.1
Composite Video Input 4
Composite Video Output 1
S-Video Input 4
S-Video Output 2
Component Video Input 3
Component Video Output 1
Headphone Output 1
AC Outlet 1
SR Control SR+

Umm, are you not seeing the Coaxial Digital and the Optical Digital inputs listed in the specs you provided for your receiver?

Quote:

Ruin
post #3965 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 06:21 AM

Smeeg or any other owner, Please watch some HD NFL action today and let me know if the shimmering is something to worry about or if it looked good great or what.

Thanks
post #3966 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred S View Post

HDMI and 480i

My STB is set to pass through all of the native resolutions which seems to work great as confirmed with the info button. One thing I noticed though is that all the SD channels report the resolution at 480p. I think I remember at some point in this huge thread that the 831 can't recognize 480i through the HDMI connection. Is this confirmed? And just curious, where do you suppose the change or up-converting to 480p is occurring; by the STB or by the mits?

Only the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD has problems communicating all the resolutions to the Mits via HDMI.

The upconversion to 480p would be within the STB. Keep in mind that (on charter, anyway) the music stations actually are 480p.
post #3967 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

...nobody should expect my settings to work on their tv. i just don't feel like typing that disclaimer every time i post my settings.

Because so many non-techie\\first-time people watch this thread, by you not disclaiming and providing extremely valuable caveats, I think you can actually do more harm than good.

This thread has grown so large, and with the first half of it being completely useless (all pre-sales talk and speculation) it's worthless for searching or looking for basic information. We really need a new thread where we can rely on the very first post as an ongoing informational post that constantly gets updated. Caveats such as the one I beat the dead horse over, etc, would be included there as well as general settings that do apply to the quality of the set in general (like disabling sharp-edge, etc).

Quote:

and i don't see you complaining about it over on the 732 thread.

I must have missed it, otherwise I would have said something.

Quote:

nice settings btw

I'd chalk up the Cap'ns flip-flop to the fact that he learned (from reading others posts here) that his particular settings (or anyone elses) don't really mean a hill of beans to anyone else.
post #3968 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 AM

I have been lurking here for a while only throwing in a couple snide comments. I purchased a 65831 on Friday and made them deliver it Friday. One thing that had me worried was they way the tv would do SD. I have to say I believe it does an excellent job. However, I moved from a 60" SD TV and am used to looking at SD blown up. I have also had a VIP 622 for a while; this is an HD receiver. Since my tv was SD it would down-convert the HD content to SD. When I would watch a football game and switch between the SD and HD broadcast even on an SD set I could see the difference. Looking at the SD broadcast never bothered me until I watched the HD broadcast. After viewing the HD broadcast for a while and then turning back to the SD channel it would be very difficult to watch the SD. Yes HD does not look as good as HD, but I believe that is the signal and not the TV. I am thrilled at the way the tv does SD, which I believe is just as good as my previous set.
post #3969 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 AM

I have skipped a few pages, so this may be a dead issue now, but I had to get my comments in. I am thrilled with the set except for one issue. Net Commend only has room to switch four items on the AV receiver through the tv.

for some reason I had to break my post up in two, something in this post counts as an image so I was not allowed to post. I remember why I have only made snide comments in the forum before.
post #3970 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post

I have skipped a few pages, so this may be a dead issue now, but I had to get my comments in. I am thrilled with the set except for one issue. Net Commend only has room to switch four items on the AV receiver through the tv.

for some reason I had to break my post up in two, something in this post counts as an image so I was not allowed to post. I remember why I have only made snide comments in the forum before.

bejebus, man, what all do you have plugged in?! (And yes, unless you can get Mitsu to add more audio swtiching options within a firmware update, you're stuck doing it manually or with a macro-remote)
post #3971 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 08:30 AM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAS ZOSS View Post

Not that I could see, I looked for one but it seems to take every other format except compact flash (which my Canon camera uses... doh)

Best, Riyad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3972 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 08:34 AM
rsk

Quick observation to the folks that have been getting them... how come no pictures? Are we all pictured out here? Seems the last set of pages no one has posted any pictures of their sets.

I would point out that in looking at people's setups, I've had to contact two seperate posters to find out where their cabinets came from because they looked so good... so there is more value in those pictures than just TV images.

Best, Riyad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3973 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Umm, are you not seeing the Coaxial Digital and the Optical Digital inputs listed in the specs you provided for your receiver?

I didn't think I could use the coaxial digital in from my receiver to the Mits digital audio out, only because they are labeled for "DVR\\VCR and DVD\\LD". Plus the Mits doesn't have optical digital on it.

post #3974 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

so I would suggest even investing in a OTA HD
There are plenty of people that watch SAT HD and think it looks incredible and in all honestey, it all looks pretty darn good

Thanks for the response! I do have an OTA HD which works pretty well. Wanted it anyway for split screen. The OTA HD is a bit better IMO than the DirecTV HD, but not by a whole lot. The STB HD is definitely watchable. One just hates to hear its not the best it could be
post #3975 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:

you can send 480i through the hdmi. if your SD are showing on the mits screen as 480p, your digital box is deinterlacing the signal.

Thanks for the clarification, smeeg! Its interesting that the STB does that because the "all" pass through "native" setting includes 480i, 480p, 720p & 1080i.

Also, my old mits used to allow you to save different audio/video settings for different situations. This one, it seems, (tell me if I'm wrong) only saves different settings in the different inputs. This save function should have been an included feature. Its clear to me that I need different video configurations for "natural (night)" and "bright (day)" viewing.
post #3976 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettebob54 View Post

Smeeg or any other owner, Please watch some HD NFL action today and let me know if the shimmering is something to worry about or if it looked good great or what.

Thanks

I watched some college ball yesterday on STB and OTA. Also watched some ryder cup. I don't seen any shimmering. Of course I'm not looking for any either as I'm not looking for SSE or RBE either (which I don't see any). On RBE; I have actually been looking for that on different feed sources and programming, and I'm pretty sure at this point I am not susceptable to it (whew!!!) Ignorance is bliss
post #3977 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post

Only the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD has problems communicating all the resolutions to the Mits via HDMI.

Can you elaborate on this? I have the 8300HD using a HDMI to HDMI connection to the tv. Should I use HDMI to DVI instead?
post #3978 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I didn't think I could use the coaxial digital in from my receiver to the Mits digital audio out, only because they are labeled for "DVR\\VCR and DVD\\LD". Plus the Mits doesn't have optical digital on it.

It doesnt matter what they are labeled. The receiver is assuming you will hook up those things, and is not assuming that TVs have digital outs since that is a relatively new thing to see on a TV. Broadcasting DD 5.1 is still relatively new, and has not penetrated all the channels yet.

Basically the receiver has no way of knowing what exactly you are pluging in, it just samples the signals on its inputs and if it detects a digital bitstream it will process it accordingly.

Ruin
post #3979 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post

We really need a new thread where we can rely on the very first post as an ongoing informational post that constantly gets updated.

There already exists the thread 2007 Mitsubishi 57” and 65” 831 Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK], which was started by reincarnate. But that thread doesn't meet all your criteria.

Owners' Threads for the 731 and 732 already exist. However, people have been using this thread for general discussion, and the model-specific threads have been being used more as "tweaks" threads.

But perhaps it would be better to retire this thread, start a proper 831 owners' thread, and also start a separate tweaks thread for each of the 52631, xx731, xx732 and xx831. Perhaps Smeeg would be willing to start a new owners' thread for the 831s?

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #3980 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
It doesnt matter what they are labeled. The receiver is assuming you will hook up those things, and is not assuming that TVs have digital outs since that is a relatively new thing to see on a TV. Broadcasting DD 5.1 is still relatively new, and has not penetrated all the channels yet.

Got it! Thanks for all your help Ruin Tomorrow she arrives, and I will have pics!!

post #3981 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAS ZOSS View Post

yes it does (compactFlash reader)
post #3982 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettebob54 View Post

Thanks

i'm not seeing any shimmering at all. i've got video noise reduction turned off and sharpness turned down to zero. i'm using the HD p&p and have fox going through the STB at 720p and cbs through the set at native (i assume 1080i, but it looks like shite so who knows). on fox, the field colors in minnesota are very drab, and the cbs cameramen have to be on drugs. not the best examples or sources for what the set can do. but i can't blame the mits. i'll be watching the afternoon & evening games (go broncos!)

i don't know if its the local affiliate or cbs sports, but HD football, college or pro, is pretty weak on cbs compared to the other networks. they're making it hard to be an afc fan
post #3983 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:

i don't know if its the local affiliate or cbs sports, but HD football, college or pro, is pretty weak on cbs compared to the other networks. they're making it hard to be an afc fan

Fox is definitely better than CBS, however CBS is still good. I am using 1080i from dish for my signal.
post #3984 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:

yes it does (compactFlash reader)

Thanks alot Smeeg, Chas

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
post #3985 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLB View Post

Can you elaborate on this? I have the 8300HD using a HDMI to HDMI connection to the tv. Should I use HDMI to DVI instead?

Component from the 8300hd provides a better picture than HDMI regardless of what TV is used. When using HDMI from the 8300 to a mits, you can't pass-through standard SD (480i) so the crappy 8300 upconverts it to 1080i. Upconverted SD into the TV as HD limits the viewing formats provided by the TV to only HD formats which are horrible for viewing SD. SD should be viewed in NARROW or STRETCH modes. Component allows proper pass-through of all resolutions to the Mits.
post #3986 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:

XM Ready
Optical In 3
Coaxial In 2
Multi-Channel Input 5.1
Composite Video Input 4
Composite Video Output 1
S-Video Input 4
S-Video Output 2
Component Video Input 3
Component Video Output 1
Headphone Output 1
AC Outlet 1
SR Control SR+

that unit has 5 digital audio inputs. Connect the coax input to the digitial audio out of the TV.
post #3987 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:

i'm not seeing any shimmering at all. i've got video noise reduction turned off and sharpness turned down to zero. i'm using the HD p&p and have fox going through the STB at 720p and cbs through the set at native (i assume 1080i, but it looks like shite so who knows). on fox, the field colors in minnesota are very drab, and the cbs cameramen have to be on drugs. not the best examples or sources for what the set can do. but i can't blame the mits. i'll be watching the afternoon & evening games (go broncos!)

Oh THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Smeeg!!!!!

WOOHOO!

After turning the noise reduction and the sharp edge feature off, and the sharpness to zero per your suggestions, I now see absolutely NO shimmering as reported earlier. I watched FOX HD today (Packers vs Lions) and was totally blown away by the quality of the picture!

I had gone to BB the other day to see if any of the other brands was performing better than the Mits and the Sony, Samsung, Mits, ALL showed the shimmering effects I had reported earlier. Note that no adjustments were made to any TV by me while I was there, and I didn't look at settings either. Just went away with the feeling that I would be unhappy no matter which HDTV I would have chose.

After coming home and reading your posts on the NR and Sharp Edge, a couple days ago, I tried it out and the problems "seemed" to have disappeared. The real test was waiting until today though with a "real, live game" and I am the happiest man alive right now. (It helps that the Packers also won...)

Anyway, for all those that have been seeing the shimmering, and all those that I've scared by bringing up the shimmering, I want to say that with the Nosie Reduction off, the Sharp Edge Off, and the sharpness set low, my TV no longer producess the shimmering effect and with my OTA antenna at 75+% signal strength, blows away anything that I ever saw in the stores, or with the default out of the box settings.

Thanks again to Smeeg for fiddling with his settings and posting them for everyone. They make a world of difference in the quality of the picture.

Steve
post #3988 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

That's great to hear! Will that means the 831 is still in the running. Now if my local store would just get them in!

I'm now Neutral
-

post #3989 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Component from the 8300hd provides a better picture than HDMI regardless of what TV is used. When using HDMI from the 8300 to a mits, you can't pass-through standard SD (480i) so the crappy 8300 upconverts it to 1080i. Upconverted SD into the TV as HD limits the viewing formats provided by the TV to only HD formats which are horrible for viewing SD. SD should be viewed in NARROW or STRETCH modes. Component allows proper pass-through of all resolutions to the Mits.

Trensetterx,

How do you get the 8300HD to pass through all resolutions? I'm using component cables but every time I check the info button on the Mits it shows 1080i for any channel I'm on.
post #3990 of 9416 Old 09-24-2006, 02:57 PM

65831 does have the compact flash port for pictures as well as SD. I know because I have used both cards and they work with my canon s500 (5 megapixel) and my canon optura 600 (Camcorder) which has a 3 megapixwl still camera using sd. both look great. OTA FOX NFL game - seahawks v nyg. no shimmering, no stars, no glitter (except for the metallic helmets of the seahawks). ONly problem is that you now see every blade of grass, and all the trash that is blowing on the field. This set fits the bill for all my wants, desires and wishes. It also fits my custom wall unit which is exactly 60 inches wide. No other set I looked at that was 60 inches or bigger could fit. SOny has those big old ears and samsung put its fron outputs on the side (how dumb is that). cant wait for next week when directv installs the hd dish so that my new hr20 dvr will provide hd (right now only get sd, which is better than what my tivo series 2 receiver was producing (time to sell my tivo stock even if it is at a $35 per share loss).
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page