Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T.Nest View Post

I got this rebate.

Delivery is set for Thursday!

Did you buy a 65831 or 57831? Also did you have to buy the matching stand to get the rebate? Was the rebate $ 300?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

i just got off the phone with the mits warranty department... the guy i talked to said that in 10 months we'll be receiving offers from them to extend the warranty from 1 - 3 years. sorry i didn't ask for the cost of the 1 or 2 year extension but the 3 year is 478 and includes bulb replacement. the extended warranty info is not listed on the mits website so if you think you are going to take advantage of this, you need to register the tv with mits now. the guy at mits convinced me, so i'm not going to worry about shopping for warranties. here's the number:

Mitsubishi Extended Warranty Programs
phone: 800. 888.8245

Thanks Smeeg, I called I got the prices for the 65831

1 yr $160.99

2yr 302.44

3yr 478.95

All 3 include 1 blub during the contract period. They can be purchased any time during the 1 yr Manufacture warranty period
post #4053 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by largdiag View Post

I always liked Amazon even though a bit more as you have a bit more recourse with them standing behind the purchase.

Well I know My local dealer, Who's 45 miles away from where I live is throwing in a free stand and waiving the delivery fee on the WD-73831 that I want and He's getting two in soon two where as all the rest have to wait till either Nov or Dec for theirs as one is a Display model and I can't remember what He called the other, But the salesman is getting two in a few days, Now if only My check will get here soon so that I can pay for It before any of the locals in the area find out. Oh and the price is the MSRP one too, Oh well, He saved Me a few hundred bucks so I won't complain and I'll even be buyin a 4 year extended warranty that covers the bulb too(I read in a Mitsubishi pdf on the WD-73732, That the 73732 also has the 180w bulb), But I'm still going to get the WD-73831 of course.

Edit: The extended 4 year warranty will only cost Me $300.00.
post #4054 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 05:58 PM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

Question. Don't know if this is the right place to post, and if not, I apologize.

However, I'd like to connect my laptop to the 65831 and I'm connector-challenged. The back of the laptop has two connectors that might be relevant. ONe is a "D" connector, with 15 pins in 3 rows. The second one is a round connector, that looks a bit like an S-video, but isn't. I know I'm asking someone to tell me how to spell c-a-t, but I've gotta make sure my cables are here when the tv arrives.

Thanks.

Sailor,
not sure if someone replied to you yet (I'm catching up in this thread) but you will want to use the VGA (d-pin) connector to connect the TV using a VGA-to-DVI cable you will need to buy. The Mits takes DVI (which is awesome).

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #4055 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 06:22 PM

How good is the grayscale on this set out of the box? Have any of the professional calibrators touched the 831s yet?
post #4056 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Great posts. Thanks everyone. I broke down today and ordered my 65831!!! Hurray!! I was also worried about the shimmering, and hoped that it was not evidence of poor deinterlacing circuitry. However, the newest posts seem to have cleared up that issue. I also spent a lot of time in a store with the Mits, Sony and Sammy next to each other and convinced myself of no problems there, after looking at football and auto racing. Seating distance ranges from 7' sitting on the floor to 10' on the sofa. Total immersion. I still don't like the shiny bezel, but its so small I don't think it will be a factor.
Delivery date is yet TBD, but the set will hit the warehouse on 9/29. Looking forward to it.
Also ordered a new RXV-2700 yamaha receiver. It will hit the warehouse on 10/6 and arrive soon afterwards. I really like the Yamahas, including their proprietary sound fields. Been using older units for about 15 years now.
Also ordered Verizon FIOS "cable" service. It uses the Motorola 6416 STB. That is a slight upgrade from the 6412 that people have reported on this thread, but still doesn't seem to have the "pass-thru" mode. So I will have to wrestle with the 720p/1080i output issue. However, they offer a month to month agreement, which is important to me, and is all-digital, which hopefully will be slightly better than some analog SD. We already have the Verizon internet service over the same fiber optics and it works well, so we are hopeful. However, its a two week wait for that also--schedule date 10/9! This will replace the DirecTV that has such compressed HD. Also I would have to upgrade the DirecTV equipment, which either requires a several hundred dollar purchase, or a year contract.

Next is Repairmaster EW, which is apparently around $328 for 5 years, including 2 bulbs.
Then need stand--the CC $300 shiny black unit should complement the TV pretty well.

Now gotta figure out cables and order from mono. Might need some component cables and a couple HD. Anyone know the best cable to connect a Dell Inspiron 6000 to the TV? My intent right now is to use the receiver to switch the inputs, and the TV to do the upconverting. The 2700 will switch up to 1080p--the first yamaha to do so.

Then need some more speakers for the 7.1 receiver. I'll probably check out all new speakers, but most likely just add to my Infiniti setup. I really like the sound of Infinity, and with my 15" Velodyne sub, the sound is pretty good. I've got the older Kappa 7.1 towers.

I haven't decided on the DVD player. Most likely will wait on that until the format wars are over. I like the best stuff, but hate to pay for something that might become obsolete shortly. Beta/VHS. My current DVD player is very old and low end, but has dolby digital, coax and optical audio outputs and component video. So I think I'll try to work with this until the HD-DVD vs Bluray sorts out. Even 500 for a Tosh HD-DVD is too much for me if it has a fair probability of becoming obsolete soon.

Funny thing how just "getting a new TV" ripples into so many other things!!!!
We're all psyched. Now just playing the waiting game.

Thanks to everyone on their posts (esp Capn Preshoot). It was EXTREMELY helpful in picking all this stuff. If anyone has any comments on my selections, esp those still in process, please feel free.

Sorry to use the thread to chat about all the peripherals, but to me, the entire TV experience includes all these other things too.

Peace.

I too have the Infiniti 7.1, they still sound great!!!!
post #4057 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedingo13 View Post

How good is the grayscale on this set out of the box? Have any of the professional calibrators touched the 831s yet?

The one that I did today had low color temp preset at between 5400K and 5800K.
After calibration it was between 6478K and 6702K.

The high color temp preset was in the neighborhood of 10000K.

I have not sorted out the color decoder and primary/secondary color mixes yet, as Mitsubishi is once again being foolish and not releasing descriptions of the service menu settings. A little more experimenting and I'll have it figured out. I'm not sure if there is any gamma control, but it is pretty close after calibration, slightly compressing blacks with average gamma of about 2.4.

Just doing the gray scale and properly setting the pix range made quite an improvement. Any professional should be able to figure out that much even with no documentation from Mitsubishi.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #4058 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM

Anyone see some shimering on the field tonight? I was messing around with the settings and found that when I turned off the Video Noice it seemed to help with this shimering thing.

Anyone else see this tonight on MNF?

Imagination is more important than knowledge
post #4059 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 PM

I've yet to see any shimmering and have watched at least 10 games. I think this shimmering talk is due to either your cables or hd source.
post #4060 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsorbet View Post

I am guessing dish can't be much worse than cable. If anyone knows if dish is better I will for sure go with them then.

I have both Comcast Cable HD and DISH Satellite HD, and when I switch back and forth between the two, using the Discovery Channel as a reference, I can't see any difference.

There is however a noticeable loss of quality when switching from quality HD channels like the Discovery channel to some of the extra "HD" channels on DISH. This could be due to excessive compression, or it could be simply be that the source material was intended for SD rather than HD.

Mits VS-507R WD-62827; Mot 6412; Oppo OPD971H
Onkyo TX-SR702B , CJ PV-14L
CJ Prem 12, 11a ; Krell KAV-250a
Martin Logan SL3, Aerius, Cinema I
post #4061 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLB View Post

I've yet to see any shimmering and have watched at least 10 games. I think this shimmering talk is due to either your cables or hd source.

I only see it on the field. Everything else is crystal clear. Are all your settings pretty much standard? It's not that big of deal...just was noticeable tonight.

btw, I have the Dish VIP-622

post #4062 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post

Anyone see some shimering on the field tonight? I was messing around with the settings and found that when I turned off the Video Noice it seemed to help with this shimering thing.

Anyone else see this tonight on MNF?

Turn NR off and lower the sharpness to very low, that should keep the "moire" in check.
post #4063 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Turn NR off and lower the sharpness to very low, that should keep the "moire" in check.

lipcrkr...

So if you turn the NR to off, how does that affect SD? Or do you adjust it back when watching SD? I also found that if I turn off sharp edge, it helps with some of the shimmering.

Thx!,

post #4064 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 PM

Downloaded the owners guide so it is now posted at the link below

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/img/287664

(You need to copy and paste this link)

This covers all of the xx831 line of HDTV from Mitsubishi

The 57" model is to be deliveried tomorrow morning. I will try to post some pictures if I find time in between projects and tweaking the tv.

Best to all,
James
post #4065 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post

It seems to me people with cable are complaining more about the picture quality than Dish owners. I have Dish and while they have pissed me off I have been very happy with the quality of the signal. I keep my signal on 1080i all the time and do not seem to have problems with football at all. I watched as much as I could this weekend, even the canadian football. I also read a story in USA Today a few months ago how cable did not want cable channels to go HD because at the moment they have no way to carry them.

Gtsorbet:

I'm pretty happy with Dish HD signal.

Have heard it's better than D*., can't get cable where I live.

PQ is noticeably better on OTA antenna, but not by a lot.

And the PQ on my VIP 622 HDDVR is a real improvement over the old 941, and better functionally as well. I think it is one of the better DVRs out there.

Of course, YMMV....

Dave

post #4066 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post

lipcrkr...

So if you turn the NR to off, how does that affect SD? Or do you adjust it back when watching SD? I also found that if I turn off sharp edge, it helps with some of the shimmering.

Thx!,

From the adjustments i've done in the stores having NR off and sharpness low helps both HD and SD sources period. It seems the Mitsubishi does a better job of processing with these two settings at their minimum. You can always help out a SD source by trying a dedicated connection like S-Video.
post #4067 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majeskty View Post

Downloaded the owners guide so it is now posted at the link below

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/img/287664

This covers all of the xx831 line of HDTV from Mitsubishi

The 57" model is to be deliveried tomorrow morning. I will try to post some pictures if I find time in between projects and tweaking the tv.

Best to all,
James

The link isn't working.

Errrr..houston....we have liftoff. My Adobe had to be updated, all is well, thanx for the heads up.
post #4068 of 9416 Old 09-25-2006, 11:06 PM

Use Google to find the pdf files, I did, Hint use some of what's below as keywords, plus "abt"electronics" as a part of the seach term.

WD73831Specsheet_v2.pdf
WD73732Specsheet_v2.pdf
WD65831Specsheet_v2.pdf
WD65731_specs.pdf
WD57831Specsheet_v2.pdf
wd57731_manual.pdf
post #4069 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T.Nest View Post

I got this rebate.

Delivery is set for Thursday!

Let's hear more about this rebate! Is there a form online? I googled but could only find one that ties with DirecTV

Thanks!
post #4070 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

Let's hear more about this rebate! Is there a form online? I googled but could only find one that ties with DirecTV

Thanks!

Yes I second that motion for more rebate information. Mit's web site had nothing last night.
post #4071 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 08:08 AM

Yeah on the rebate--need more info. I just ordered the TV yesterday. Hope I didn't just miss the rebate! 65831. How does one apply for it? Is it only through the dealer?
post #4072 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

has anyone seen as of these at a Costco location. I am really interested in the 57731, and I see its on Costco's website, but cant find it at any B&M stores. I know its on sale this week at BB, but I want to get it at costco... so has anyone seen it?
post #4073 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

Sailor,
not sure if someone replied to you yet (I'm catching up in this thread) but you will want to use the VGA (d-pin) connector to connect the TV using a VGA-to-DVI cable you will need to buy. The Mits takes DVI (which is awesome).

Thanks, RSK. I also figured out that the round connector is a combination S-video/composite for SD TV's. I'll order the VGA to DVI cable with the others from mono.
post #4074 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 08:34 AM

Anyone know if the Mits 65831 1394 connector is a 4 pin or 6 pin?
post #4075 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 AM

What are people's impressions of this set vs. the sony SXRDs and vs. the panasonic plasmas? I'm considering this set against both of those. I'm particularly concerned with accurate color/grayscale, and quality of blacks. I know the panasonic shines in these areas.
post #4076 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Anyone know if the Mits 65831 1394 connector is a 4 pin or 6 pin?

post #4077 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 AM

After a little additional fooling with the 831: One way to tweak the blacks on, say, some poor quality favorite SD DVD to get the most out of it (at least until the HD version arrives): In Theater mode, roughly adjust the contrast up and brightness down while watching dark scenes. After getting the settings in the ballpark, tweak the brightness so the blacks are just at the inky point, then tap the contrast a notch or two to your taste. Also found that video noise reduction can actually be helpful on old DVDs, even up to "Medium". Did these tweaks on "Sleepless in Seattle", which made the Empire State Building really standout against the dark night, like, didn't know this media could actually knock your socks off...
post #4078 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I agree. Any details on any Mits rebate would be appreciated.

We ended up cancelling our 731 ordered through a Big Box store and buying at a small authorized Mitsubishi dealer/service center/home theater store in Anchorage, AK. The rebate we got was of the "instant" variety; it deducted from the sale price right on the invoice. It was described verbally as a Mitsubishi rebate, but I don't have the invoice here to take a look at how it was written up exactly.

In the showroom at this authorized Mitsubishi dealer/service center, each Mitsubishi RPTV set we looked at had a small sign on it announcing it had either a three-benjamin or a five-benjamin rebate. (With apologies to the late Jim Henson...)

All of the sets we considered at this store (731, 732, 831) had the three-benjamin variety. The 2006 73" set next to the 731 had the five-benjamin rebate. I don't know if the difference was because it was a larger/more expensive set or if it was because it was last year's model.

We bought ten days ago, so I don't know if this rebate is still in effect.

Good luck!
post #4079 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenking View Post

After a little additional fooling with the 831: One way to tweak the blacks on, say, some poor quality favorite SD DVD to get the most out of it (at least until the HD version arrives): In Theater mode, roughly adjust the contrast up and brightness down while watching dark scenes. After getting the settings in the ballpark, tweak the brightness so the blacks are just at the inky point, then tap the contrast a notch or two to your taste. Also found that video noise reduction can actually be helpful on old DVDs, even up to "Medium". Did these tweaks on "Sleepless in Seattle", which made the Empire State Building really standout against the dark night, like, didn't know this media could actually knock your socks off...

i don't really recommend doing it that way. the brightness, which affects the blacks, and contrast, which affects the whites, should be set before you begin adjusting your color, tint and sharpness settings. if you've set your colors and you change the brightness and contrast settings, you need to go back and make sure all of your color settings are still accurate. i think its better to just set it properly for each input and leave the settings alone. the best test pattern to set brightness and contrast is the Reverse Gray Ramps, i wouldn't be eyeballing those settings just using any SD material. if you are seeing mosquito noise or whatever, if you increase the contrast (make the whites brighter) and lower the brightness (make the darks darker) then you will run into a situation where you are losing detail in your midtones and crushing your blacks. it might make that SD disk look a little bit better, but then you won't necessarily realize the negative effect its having on the cleaner SD and HD material. i got my 1080p for the details. darkening the picture and running the video noise reduction does nothing but blur the image and white out or crush those details.
post #4080 of 9416 Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 AM

Smeeg,

Would you mind sharing some of the reasons that you chose this set over the Samsung or the Sony? I'm making a similar decision myself right now, and I can't make up my mind.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page