2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 9420 Old 06-26-2006, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

See the links off of first post. It is VERY clear that DVI accepts 1080p input, this isn't a debatable position.

Your right pbmpharmacist. I was confusing the digital 1920 horizontal pixels x 1080 vertical, with internal display upconversion and resolution of DVI connection. My apologies. My mind was so trained to look for 1080p icon, that I disregarded 1920x1080 digital input is the same as 1080p. Great news for those of us needing a 3rd 1080p input connection for our computers and DVR/AV/PS3 peripherals. Thank you for pointing that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 9420 Old 06-26-2006, 05:25 PM
rsk

That's cool how you got your wife a new monitor, so you going to move the TV into the office, and move the old LCD out of the office into the living room so you can watch TV?

lol, I just have images of you sitting all defunct on the couch watching a 17" LCD from 8' away while there are screams of "Ohhh +10 INTELLIGENCE BITCH!" from the office over team speak as your wife 40-mans some instance.

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #453 of 9420 Old 06-26-2006, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

That's cool how you got your wife a new monitor, so you going to move the TV into the office, and move the old LCD out of the office into the living room so you can watch TV?

lol, I just have images of you sitting all defunct on the couch watching a 17" LCD from 8' away while there are screams of "Ohhh +10 INTELLIGENCE BITCH!" from the office over team speak as your wife 40-mans some instance.

Don't give her any ideas!
post #454 of 9420 Old 06-26-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureProof HDTV View Post

Your right pbmpharmacist. I was confusing the digital 1920 horizontal pixels x 1080 vertical, with internal display upconversion and resolution of DVI connection. My apologies. My mind was so trained to look for 1080p icon, that I disregarded 1920x1080 digital input is the same as 1080p. Great news for those of us needing a 3rd 1080p input connection for our computers and DVR/AV/PS3 peripherals. Thank you for pointing that out.

No problem. Just trying to avoid confusion
post #455 of 9420 Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I just had a chance to see the "731" at a nearby Fry's store. They had the new Samsung Blu-Ray HD DVD player connected using HDMI and playing the Blu-Ray version of "House of Flying Daggers".

This week I've also seen the HL-S6187 with the same player and DVD.

Both sets were "noisy" with image wide mosquito noise or dithering. The Mitsubishi might have been slightly less noisy but not enough for me to be sure.

All I can conclude from this is that I wouldn't buy either TV, the Blu-Ray DVD player, or the movie based on what I've seen so far. I'm assuming that it was mostly an input problem.

It's going to take some time to get either HD DVD formate and/or the movie transfers working the way they should.

I can tell you that the SD version of "House of Flying Daggers" is not noisy when played on our HTPC at 720p, and connected with a DVI/HDMI cable to a HLP5063. The HLP has been ISF calibrated.

Yes, yes I know by now your old post is old news but..... I've heard some bad reports on the Samsung Blu-Ray player with House of Flying Daggers saying the picture looked awful on the Westinghouse as well as a Pioneer Elite plasma. Not sure if it's the player itself or the transfer. A lot of people are saying HD-DVD looks much better. If Sony were smart they would have had their own player to be first on the market and also have one of their transfers as the first to be shown.

Anyway I just thought I'd post this that if what I "heard" above is true, then the Mits and the Sammy aren't to blame. I've never seen either HD DVD or BluRay on my SXRD, but I'd guess that HD trailers from Xbox Live are what I would expect to see. The two Superman Returns trailers that I downloaded in 720p look fantastic on my television. I'm looking forward to seeing the 732 series Mits' in action.
post #456 of 9420 Old 06-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Pictures, pictures, pictures.
Didn't get to having a DVD in, a few HD feeds and some from XBOX360
Some pictures are better than others, and there's a few videos - not sure they show much.
These are all HD feeds.
Sorry, no time for a fancy web page - hope they help somebody.

Scott

http://www.endsleyenterprises.com/wd57731
post #457 of 9420 Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjayhawk View Post

Some pictures are better than others, and there's a few videos - not sure they show much.
These are all HD feeds.

Scott

The Pics and movies look great scott. I've been anxious to see how well the 360 looks on the new line of Mits. Just makes me even more anxious for that darn 831 series to come out.
post #458 of 9420 Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

A lot of people are saying HD-DVD looks much better.

The initial Blu-Ray transfers don't seem to be very good, but it's too early to tell.
post #459 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:

These are all HD feeds.

Scott

Thanks for the very nice pics!
post #460 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The initial Blu-Ray transfers don't seem to be very good, but it's too early to tell.

The initial Blu-ray disks are terrible. Why are you so unsure of your own opinion? Is it difficult to call a spade a spade?
post #461 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

hhmmm power consumption is listed at 250 W ? isn't that a bit high? higher than the future Samsung LED?

But, look at the stand-by current..........

Someone read my letter.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #462 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitterguy73 View Post

The Pics and movies look great scott. I've been anxious to see how well the 360 looks on the new line of Mits. Just makes me even more anxious for that darn 831 series to come out.

Are there specs on the 831 series somewhere? Thanks
post #463 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Basic questions:

1. The internal ATSC/QAM tuner (you know, what you paid a few hundred dollars more for); has anyone actually used it and can channels be added that aren't in the orginal scan? IOW's, stations from different directions that can't be received w/o 'turning the house around', can they be added??

2. Can the set remember OTA channels AND cable channels without doing another specific scan (separate memories like last year)?

3. Last year there were TWO digital tuners, one for 8VSB and the other for QAM. How about this year?

4. The analog 4x3 cropped sides issue; is it gone with this years models??

If you don't know what I'm talking about take a look here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=593005

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #464 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These are all HD feeds.

Scott

Nice job. These look a lot better than the pics I took. I guess I need some practice
post #465 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Basic questions:

1. The internal ATSC/QAM tuner (you know, what you paid a few hundred dollars more for); has anyone actually used it and can channels be added that aren't in the orginal scan? IOW's, stations from different directions that can't be received w/o 'turning the house around', can they be added??

2. Can the set remember OTA channels AND cable channels without doing another specific scan (separate memories like last year)?

3. Last year there were TWO digital tuners, one for 8VSB and the other for QAM. How about this year?

I'm using a cable box so I can't answer most of your questions. Perhaps someone else can. I wasn't aware of the cropped side issues in previous sets so all I can say for sure is that if it is doing that I definitely have not noticed it
post #466 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

The initial Blu-ray disks are terrible. Why are you so unsure of your own opinion? Is it difficult to call a spade a spade?

If I run across a spade I will be happy to point it out to you.

As for Blu-Ray DVD transfers:

1. I've only seen one -- "House of Flying Daggers".

2. I've seen "House of Flying Daggers" on the only Blu-Ray player available.

3. I have no idea how the Samsung Blu-Ray player was configured, or even how it should be configured.

4. I suspect the problem is the transfer, but I'm happy to wait for more information and examples.

With so little information, claiming more would be silly, and not very relevant. I don't mind being silly.
post #467 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I'm using a cable box so I can't answer most of your questions. Perhaps someone else can. I wasn't aware of the cropped side issues in previous sets so all I can say for sure is that if it is doing that I definitely have not noticed it

There was an issue on last year's Mits (e.g. on mine, a 73727) with the sd cable pics showing an inch or so of cut off right where the black borders on the side meet the picture. But by setting the '3:4 Override' to OFF in the cable box set-up menu, this problem disappeared. Maybe this is what videobruce is referring to.
post #468 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoro1 View Post

I guess this is just a matter of personal preference
I know the thread starter said he preferred the brilliant setting. In my experience brilliant makes all the colors and lightened parts of the image searingly vivid, but it destroys all the dark details and highlights any noise in the picture. The set was on Brilliant by default, and when I first turned it on I was very discouraged by the PQ through my cable box. After setting it to Natural mode and low color temp the picture looked much better. I have mine at about 1/2 brightness and 3/4 contrast. If you prefer very bright colors over the "natural" look you can use the bright setting, which has a similar picture to brilliant but with better dark detail and less noise.

Jacoro1 - I would completely agree. The Natural/Low Color Temp appears to be the best setting, especially for relatively low light rooms. Have you changed any of the Magicolor settings?
post #469 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 AM

Does anyone know the cost of a replacement bulb for the 57731?
post #470 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

If I run across a spade I will be happy to point it out to you.

As for Blu-Ray DVD transfers:

1. I've only seen one -- "House of Flying Daggers".

2. I've seen "House of Flying Daggers" on the only Blu-Ray player available.

3. I have no idea how the Samsung Blu-Ray player was configured, or even how it should be configured.

4. I suspect the problem is the transfer, but I'm happy to wait for more information and examples.

With so little information, claiming more would be silly, and not very relevant. I don't mind being silly.

I agree with you. That's how rumors start . Only one transfer so far. There should be some kind of regulations put on studios putting out Blu-ray/HD-DVD discs. If these discs aren't HD quality then just leave them on an SD DVD disc. That's another discussion for a different area than this though.

I still want to hear some confirmed MSRPs for the 732 and 831 series.
post #471 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

pbmpharmacist; haven't you tried the internal tuner?? How do you know it even works and how about the possibility of a better picture?
You do have OTA available where you are don't you? Nice to find out when you loose your cable!

post #472 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

pbmpharmacist; haven't you tried the internal tuner?? How do you know it even works and how about the possibility of a better picture?
You do have OTA available where you are don't you? Nice to find out when you loose your cable!

Nope, haven't used the internal tuner and probably never will. I wanted a HD DVR and that all comes in one HD box with a tuner. I'm not interested in OTA b/c my HOA isn't big on antennas.
post #473 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Yes, yes I know by now your old post is old news but..... I've heard some bad reports on the Samsung Blu-Ray player with House of Flying Daggers saying the picture looked awful on the Westinghouse as well as a Pioneer Elite plasma. Not sure if it's the player itself or the transfer. A lot of people are saying HD-DVD looks much better. If Sony were smart they would have had their own player to be first on the market and also have one of their transfers as the first to be shown.

Anyway I just thought I'd post this that if what I "heard" above is true, then the Mits and the Sammy aren't to blame. I've never seen either HD DVD or BluRay on my SXRD, but I'd guess that HD trailers from Xbox Live are what I would expect to see. The two Superman Returns trailers that I downloaded in 720p look fantastic on my television. I'm looking forward to seeing the 732 series Mits' in action.

FWIW I saw the blu-ray setup at CC yesterday for the first time. It was the Samsung player hooked up to a Samsung HL-S5087 and I noticed the exact same set-wide mosquito noise that htwaits is referring to. It was very apparent.

This was on some blu-ray demo disc that had a bunch of short movie clips/previews. Chicken little (animated) looked unbelievable. Everything else had that nasty mosquito noise all over the place.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #474 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Basic questions:

I'm using the internal tuner. It does have 2 tuners and you can add channels to them. I can't comment on the cable question since I'm using a cable box for that. I haven't seen cropped sides on 4x3 sources. The sensitivity seems to be quite good- I was surprised by the number of channels it found using a cheap indoor antennae. I watched "The Tonight Show" in HD last night from OTA and it looked amazing.
post #475 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The sensitivity seems to be quite good- I was surprised by the number of channels it found using a cheap indoor antennae. I watched "The Tonight Show" in HD last night from OTA and it looked amazing.

Wow! Really? Makes me wonder what I'm paying all of that money for if I could grab the signals for free. I guess I do like the idea of an HDTV DVR. If I could get away with using an indoor antenna then I'd have to think about it.
post #476 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugs15 View Post

Jacoro1 - I would completely agree. The Natural/Low Color Temp appears to be the best setting, especially for relatively low light rooms. Have you changed any of the Magicolor settings?

I haven't messed with Magicolor yet, the colors seem pretty good to me. I'll probably get it calibrated later though.
post #477 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Wow! Really? Makes me wonder what I'm paying all of that money for if I could grab the signals for free. I guess I do like the idea of an HDTV DVR. If I could get away with using an indoor antenna then I'd have to think about it.

Yeah it's making me think twice about my Comcast subscription too. I wasn't expecting anything from the indoor so it was a pleasant surprise. If I wasn't getting my broadband access from them too (the TV service discounts the internet service) I would drop them right now.
post #478 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah it's making me think twice about my Comcast subscription too. I wasn't expecting anything from the indoor so it was a pleasant surprise. If I wasn't getting my broadband access from them too (the TV service discounts the internet service) I would drop them right now.

Cox does the same thing. You have to have cable to have internet at a reasonable cost. Choices, choices huh?
post #479 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Cox does the same thing. You have to have cable to have internet at a reasonable cost. Choices, choices huh?

I politely disagree. Cox's standard connection now is 6mbps / 512k is I'm not mistaken, for about $40 a month. Their premier tier in most markets is 9mbps / 1mbps for $55 a month. I have the premier and actually get more about 12 / 1, and they are going to be bumping it up again by end of year I hear, to something around 15 / 2. A few test markets already have the 15 / 2 actually. I had Cox for only internet service for nearly a year, and I think their speed / price ratio was great.

Looking forward to more info on the xx732 series!
post #480 of 9420 Old 06-27-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoweth View Post

I politely disagree. Cox's standard connection now is 6mbps / 512k is I'm not mistaken, for about $40 a month. Their premier tier in most markets is 9mbps / 1mbps for $55 a month. I have the premier and actually get more about 12 / 1, and they are going to be bumping it up again by end of year I hear, to something around 15 / 2. A few test markets already have the 15 / 2 actually. I had Cox for only internet service for nearly a year, and I think their speed / price ratio was great.

Looking forward to more info on the xx732 series!

Hmm... interesting. Maybe things have changed since I signed up or pricing is different in different markets. When I signed up though the price was cheaper for the Internet if bundled with cable TV. Of course, that doesn't mean that it's still that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page