Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 9416 Old 06-30-2006, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish 88 View Post

Has anyone seen the 65731 in the Chicago area?

Fry's in Downer's Grove has the 57731 and soon to get the 65731 the sales rep told me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9416 Old 06-30-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL53 View Post

You seem to have had some experience with Mits TV's in the past. What is your overall opinion of their reliability in general? What about dealing with their service center?

I spent about 4 months at the end of last year, and tested just under 50 units (mostly WD52628 and WD62628). The majority of those were in four locations - Houston and Dallas. That was in addition to have two sets in my house for just over two months. The "tuners" did not work in a single one. There was no exception.

The service center basically, has the authority to "replace" a set. That is basically all that they can do. From what I found out Mit's "farms out" essentially all of their engineering, and they have basically no interest in "backing the customer up" with a long term solution. In the final analysis, if the set does not work, their policy is to "return it" if it does not work; and they gladly do so.

Because there were so many Mit's that came out of the box with damage, they spent nearly an hour with me on the phone, so I could explain to them how to build a box and packing for shipping; particularly the top rail of the set(s), that was so often damaged from the factory. According to my local "high end" store they are no longer getting the large amount of freight damage there were last year.

Generally, overall Mit's still have one of the best PQ out there IMO...........it is very difficult for me to tell at this point which is better Samsung or Mit's. On paper, from an engineering standpoint, the newest Mit's do appear to have a better solution; but only time will answer that when the top end models become available in a few months.

One of the things that does concern me on the new 57731 (in addition to the slow remote button response), is that the software interface in the Mit's is "still authored" by the same engineers (farmed out) as before. Exceptionally "clunky" - not at all slick and polished like a Samsung or Sony. So I do still have my doubts that the tuner problems have been resolved. Once cross referencing and indexing begin to take place in the better models with TV Guide, it could crash and burn again. Again, only time will answer that.
post #543 of 9416 Old 06-30-2006, 04:42 PM

HoustonPerson thanks very much for your informative response. I agree only time will answer the reliability question. I hope that by September they'll be enough new owner reports (hopefully a few videophiles included and I certainly do not include myself in that category) of all the Mits 2007 models to make an educated decision.
post #544 of 9416 Old 06-30-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Again, only time will answer that.

Thanks for sharing such solid information.
post #545 of 9416 Old 06-30-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjayhawk View Post

Just under 7.5" from base of TV to start of screen.

Thanks for the reply!!!
post #546 of 9416 Old 07-01-2006, 07:34 PM

I just took delivery of my gorgeous new 57731, which in the store had a better picture than even the plasmas that were on display.

The only problem is that it makes a very high-pitched, and pretty loud electronic squeal whenever it's on. I didn't hear this on either of the two display models in the store. Has anyone else seen (or heard) this?
post #547 of 9416 Old 07-01-2006, 07:59 PM
rsk

readams,
Do you mean the electric-squeel that some electronics make like some computers or the new MacBook Pro laptops?

I've actually noticed this electric squeel in quite a few newer electronics I've been getting over the years. My MacBookPro, my Dell Dimension at work and a few other things that slip my mind right now... I think I should invest in a good set of ear muffs

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #548 of 9416 Old 07-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Yes, it's much like that only very very noticable. As in, unless there's something blowing up on the screen, I can _always_ hear it, and it gives me a headache.
post #549 of 9416 Old 07-01-2006, 08:46 PM

After hearing all the feedback about sparkling on the samsung 1080p models I've started to look at the mitsubishi models and lurk on this thread.

I'm hoping the 732's come out next month (august) rather than later.

Concerns I can think of at the moment which I hope will not be an issue are:

- Sparkling / artifacts
- SDE (screen door effect)

- RBE (rainbow effect)

- Black/Grey gradients (sure its black but does the black show detail?)

- Ghosting/Blurring/Screen noise on fast motion
(especially blurring during camera panning to 'catch up' on fast motion
like hockey breakaways, football kickoffs, and game screen panning)

- HTPC: .. solid 1920 x 1080 resolution
.. text readability
.. HTPC dvd playback issues
.. gaming input lag
.. gaming display quality
.. display quality vs game settings if set has game-specific
settings / disabled features recommended while gaming

- Lamp life
post #550 of 9416 Old 07-01-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks for sharing such solid information.

that type of squeel is usually caused by switching power supplies. Those are a very efficient type power supplies that convert AC to the various DC voltages needed by the electronics....+5v etc. This type of power supply generates a 20khz or so high voltage square wave that then drives a transformer to split, condition and creat the DC voltages. The high frequency square has the advantage of being able to use much small transformers and magnetics to they are smaller, lighter and very efficient.......on order of >90% vs traditional rectifiers which are less then 50%.

Almost without exception you can hear these power supplies squeel. Which such a powerfull square wave generated that is close to audible, subharmonics by the magnetics etc that can then vibrate the packaging and creating the squeel.

maybe it could be the color wheel too as it spins at a very hight rate. But that would be the first I have hear of it. It should sound more like a harddrive getting up to speed.
post #551 of 9416 Old 07-01-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readams View Post

I just took delivery of my gorgeous new 57731, which in the store had a better picture than even the plasmas that were on display.

The only problem is that it makes a very high-pitched, and pretty loud electronic squeal whenever it's on. I didn't hear this on either of the two display models in the store. Has anyone else seen (or heard) this?

Mine is virtually silent. I can't hardly hear the fan. But, mine is completely surrounded by the entertainment center.
post #552 of 9416 Old 07-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

You shouldn't hear any type of squeaL. Return it for another one.
post #553 of 9416 Old 07-02-2006, 01:22 PM

Yeah if its so loud you can hear most of the time when watching the set, that doesn't sound right. Exchange!
post #554 of 9416 Old 07-02-2006, 03:30 PM

Sorry to repeat one of my questions but does anyone with this series of tv notice -

Ghosting/Blurring/Screen noise on fast motion
like hockey breakaways, football kickoffs, and game screen panning).
post #555 of 9416 Old 07-02-2006, 03:40 PM

That's it for me she's (577) going back. The RBE is just too much. Getting the JVC HD-56FH96 instead. If you can live or can't see RBE than I HIGHLY recommend the set. It's just not for me.
post #556 of 9416 Old 07-03-2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info. Fitter
post #557 of 9416 Old 07-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvn View Post

Sorry to repeat one of my questions but does anyone with this series of tv notice -

Ghosting/Blurring/Screen noise on fast motion
like hockey breakaways, football kickoffs, and game screen panning).

Remember, during "fast" screen action, panning motions, etc... that you will see macroblocking with standard & HiDef cable/SAT sources. This is NOT a problem with the television, but the highly-compressed video signal.
post #558 of 9416 Old 07-03-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

You shouldn't hear any type of squeaL. Return it for another one.

I got my set exchanged and now I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the set, in which case it's a very soft fan humming noise. Much better!
post #559 of 9416 Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks for pointing out the macroblocking compression issue in some feeds/channels/programs. The stanley cup playoffs suffered the blurr effect on camera panning during breakaways on my old LCD tv. This was probably macroblocking, but I do know that LCDs can also suffer from ghosting/afterimages on fast motion.

One of the other concerns of this set is the blacklevel detail. I've heard that mentioned as a concern about this set. Maybe the 732's will be alittle better.

So far I've narrowed my choices down to the Mitsu WD-xx732 or the samsung HL-S 5687/5688.
I hope I don't see RBE or sparkles, and that there is are dark blacks but with detail in the blacks (a high black/grey gradient and high contrast).
Game input lag and game display quality is another concern.

I'll just have to utilize the 30-day return policy if necessary I guess.
post #560 of 9416 Old 07-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got my set exchanged and now I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the set, in which case it's a very soft fan humming noise. Much better!

Great! Be sure to post your impressions of the TV when you get a chance.
post #561 of 9416 Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like some Sears stores have the 65731 in stock. Unfortunately, the stores in my area aren't expecting it untl July 19th.
post #562 of 9416 Old 07-03-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Looks like some Sears stores have the 65731 in stock. Unfortunately, the stores in my area aren't expecting it untl July 19th.

When the "mirror" site for Mits was accessible for those few days, I did a "product search" for the WD-65831 it brought up Sears and Best Buy. Usually around my area when searching for any current line Mits it only brings up Tweeter, Barrets or Best Buy. I thought it was interesting that Sears was on the list under the "mirror" site. I know they are trying to get out to the public on a broader spectrum. I just never thought I would possibly be getting an incredible product like the 2007 models at SEARS!! Sure, I'll take that deep freezer, riding lawn mower and that $4600 65831, please!
post #563 of 9416 Old 07-03-2006, 11:22 PM

what we need is a portable blue ray player to connect to tvs in our search for the ultimate picture to see what they will do same disk/material in true 1080p and also with dvd movies . I am sure none of the pics will suck as my wife says I am splitting hairs LOL but split I must .I am now down to just the sammy 67/71 88 or the mits 65/73 saw an amazing blue ray demo on a sammy***88 that blew me away also saw a hd dvd of last samurai that captivated me on a 73 1080p mits not making my decision any easier, these forms have been very helpful . remember people do not see color detail, etc the same so it is always an objective opinion and the more the merrier . replaceing my pioneer 119 pro is not so painless after all
post #564 of 9416 Old 07-04-2006, 08:07 AM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazanova View Post

replaceing my pioneer 119 pro is not so painless after all

yes it is... buy the 731, take it home, hook it up and start smiling

In all seriousness I would suggest you find weaknesses from each set you are looknig at (noise on sammy, RBE on Mits) and then go watch them and see if you see the problems. If you don't, well then that didn't help. But if you do, then it will help you decide.

Maybe consider the alternative inputs/game mode/etc?

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #565 of 9416 Old 07-04-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazanova View Post

what we need is a portable blue ray player to connect to tvs in our search for the ultimate picture to see what they will do same disk/material in true 1080p and also with dvd movies . I am sure none of the pics will suck as my wife says I am splitting hairs LOL but split I must .I am now down to just the sammy 67/71 88 or the mits 65/73 saw an amazing blue ray demo on a sammy***88 that blew me away also saw a hd dvd of last samurai that captivated me on a 73 1080p mits not making my decision any easier, these forms have been very helpful . remember people do not see color detail, etc the same so it is always an objective opinion and the more the merrier . replaceing my pioneer 119 pro is not so painless after all

HUH???
post #566 of 9416 Old 07-04-2006, 12:50 PM

I think i will wait till the 732 comes out to make my finial determanition as I think both sets look great havent seen any noise on the sam***88 or rbe on mits i am going to see if the b s store has a blue ray to see the mits at its best, the blue ray demo of the watch maker are something to experince, it would be nice to see them side by side as i feel that these are the best two on the market although sightly different in thier look sam seeming at times to be overly sharp/saturated and the mits at times being overly flat /dull . I guess it will be time to sit and tune color sharpness etc to my tastes to further evaluate these great sets
post #567 of 9416 Old 07-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitterguy73 View Post

When the "mirror" site for Mits was accessible for those few days, I did a "product search" for the WD-65831 it brought up Sears and Best Buy. Usually around my area when searching for any current line Mits it only brings up Tweeter, Barrets or Best Buy. I thought it was interesting that Sears was on the list under the "mirror" site. I know they are trying to get out to the public on a broader spectrum. I just never thought I would possibly be getting an incredible product like the 2007 models at SEARS!! Sure, I'll take that deep freezer, riding lawn mower and that $4600 65831, please!

Well, I just saw the 65731 at Best Buy. I only had a couple of minutes as I stopped in to pick up a dvd with the wife and kids waiting in the car. I thought I'd run by the tv's just in case they got one in and lo and behold they had the 65731 sitting next to a Samsung (didn't catch the model) with a 50" Sony SXRD about 10 feet away. All three sets were being fed the same HD Net feed and all looked good. The SXRD looked like it had the most detail, but it also was the dimmest picture. The Samsung was very bright and very sharp, but you could see a little noise in the picture. The Mits was noise free and also very bright. So much so that I thought it washed out some of the detail. I didn't have any time to play with the settings, but plan on going back this week for sure. I loved the smooth picture on the Mits. The screen did not appear to have that sparkle (for lack of a better word) look. I was surprised that they had it and can't wait to go back and spend some time with it.
post #568 of 9416 Old 07-04-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I stumbled across this thread today and just went and took a look at a 57731 at the local Fry's to see for myself. I'll also give a little insight for those thinking about Sony or Samsung as well.

- I had a 50" Sony SXRD for about 2 weeks. I returned it...green blob syndrome. Right in the center of the screen and in one corner it had a green blob that was most noticeable on light backgrounds. It was easy to see because hockey season was going. Granted, it got lighter as the lamp warmed up and I could've lived with it, but not for how much it sold for. I even got a great deal on it, being in the military. A lot of these TVs have the problem, so beware. The picture was great, but not that much better than any new DLP. I guess it would be the best option for those that see RBE.
- Prior to that I had a Mitsubishi 52627 for a little less than a month. The picture was good, comparable to the Sony even. I traded it in because I was offered such a great deal on the Sony (and went with the rave reviews...mistake). I also didn't like setting up the TV...it was a pain in the ass and actually reset on me for no reason once making me take an hour to set everything back up again. The fan was also loud and could be heard during quiet portions of programs or movies. It did give me a good impression of Mitsubishi though.
- I currently have a Samsung HLS-5688. Great TV but I agree with some of the comments on here. Don't expect a great picture right out of the box. I had to play with the settings quite a bit but it wasn't too difficult. Now it has a good picture, although source of content is always an issue, as it will be with any TV. I was originally going to get the 5679 (LED TV) but it got delayed too long and it was getting to be like computers. If you keep waiting for the next best thing to come out...you'll never get anything...haha. For now, I'm sticking with the Samsung.

Now to my experience at Fry's. Lined up were a 60" Sony SXRD, JVC DILA, Mitsubishi 52628, Mitsubishi 57731, and Samsung HL-S5686W. All were using the Mitsubishi HD feed (1080i) All screens exhibited a little of the sparkle effect. That is because they coat them for anti-glare on the outside and the inside receives a reflective coat to brighten the picture projected on the screen. It is the little dimple pattern you see if you look closely, and becomes visible especially on light backgrounds. Some Samsungs seemed to have received a little too much apparently. Mine doesn't exhibit any more than any other manufacturer's, so there isn't much I can do. Even the new Mitsubishi had it. Side by side the Samsung actually looked better than the Mitsubishi, and that is the low-end 86 model. The Sony looked the best, but then I immediately think about green blob and I'm turned off...haha. I actually like the cabinet on my 5688 better than the Mitsu in that I don't use the speakers and the Samsung has the nice hidden speaker design. The Mitsu also seemed to have more depth. I'll agree with the people on here waiting for the 732...if it comes in black it will look nicer. The gray to me just looked kind of cheap. If I hadn't walked up to it I would've thought it was some cheap brand. The overall design is nice though, and I like it better than last year's model, like the 52627 I used to own.

While all the pictures looked good I think the Sony looked best, followed by the Samsung. The JVC and two Mitsubishis were next. I don't think you can go wrong with the Mitsubishi but in the end it is what you are happy with. Don't rely solely on someone's opinion on here. Don't even rely on my observations, for that matter. Use them as reference but choose what looks best to you and is what will make you happy. As you'll see in just about any thread on here, however, feeds in stores aren't that great. Similarly, everyone's house is different, along with lighting conditions and what not. Only the TV sitting in your living room will show you if it's good or not.
post #569 of 9416 Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM

Just my opinion

I've had my 57731 for 3 weeks now. It replaced a P- Elite 510 HD. I checked out many sets before going with the 57731. PQ was #1 comcern, both in store and now at home I am very happy with the PQ - did tone down some out of box settings. I have not had Gregg L. -ISF- over yet, but set is near screening room Q as it is. Of cause this is limited by sat box (Dish N.) but digital OTA is outstanding.

Other items I like, 2 - hdml imputs tht accept 1080p, good OTA tuners, and good brightness as room faces west to setting sun. Other note, this 57" takes the same space as the Elite 510 which was 53" set.

I have not had problems including RBE, SDE etc. Hay, wife & I are older so maybe our eyes are not picking it up. I have a somewhat complex set-up done by studio engineers but I was able to connect everything with no problems.
post #570 of 9416 Old 07-06-2006, 12:51 PM

Congratulations GrandpaJ. I just ordered my 57731 today, expect delivery on Saturday. I was going to get the Samsung hls5687w but it was 300 more. I didn't think it was worth the extra money.

I wish you and your wife many happy hours of viewing.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page