2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 193 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5761 of 9416 Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Holy cow, that's night and day. I was on the fence on the 57732, but if the SD really looks that much better on the 831 series, I might have to start looking at those.

However, I do have to ask, could this be a calibration issue? I presume you did some calibration on your set when you got it, while your buddy might not have.

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 9416 Old 10-19-2006, 11:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by wales View Post

Or maybe UMR was just saying they picked better chips for all 831s over the 732s, not that there is variance within models ("The differences may just come down to selections that Mitsubishi is making the the various models chip sets.").

I think UMR was saying that it was possible that the difference (small) that he saw could be from cherry picking components.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5763 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 12:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

My buddy just got a 732 and is on the verge of returning it, he sent me some shots of SD and it looks a bit diff... either there are signifigantly different chips in these things or his set/signal is aweful (we are both on Comcast, watching STB 6200 set to output 720p, I'm on 65831, he's on 57732).

Comparison shots here:
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/2006/...s-to-wd-57732/

So he sent you shots and you're comparing to your own shots? Unless they're from the same brand/model of camera, running the same ISO, viewing the same source material in the same Mitsu display format, this isn't a valid comparison.

What channels is he watching that he doesn't like the SD on? (Some are better than others)
post #5764 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I think UMR was saying that it was possible that the difference (small) that he saw could be from cherry picking components.

Well, whatever he saw, it is quite a statement:

"The difference is in the video and film processing. The video processing was as good has I have seen on any product. The film processing was also in the same league as the best displays. There was no reason to play to use any resolution except for the native resolution of a source."
post #5765 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

I have to admit that a difference in image processing between the 732 and 831, particularly in deinterlacing 1080i to 1080p, would be significant to me. This is the first indication that there might be some actual difference in image processing between the sets (except the lamp). Mits has not admitted to any, but the factory information is so sketchy and misleading that I am not surprised by that.

The thing about 1080i processing is that we have no real 1080p source at this point. The HD sources so far come in as 720p or 1080i and must be converted to 1080p. (Bluray and HD-DVD may change that as this technology becomes mature and widely available). So, we are stuck with some kind of converting. There is no way around this right now. The STB that is available to me outputs in 720p or 1080i. I have to pick one. Knowing that the 831 is state of the art in this process is a really major thing to me. It means that native 1080i source, which is transmitted very well by the Verizon FIOS system, would be converted well by the Mits to its 1080p. And would change my opinion about the selection of the TV. The 1394 front input, the thin bezel, the negligible value of the 180w lamp, are NOT significant.

Personally, I've found the 1080i setting for the STB to be better than 720p for the 831, and I have posted this before. I also found my yamaha 2700, which purports to have a truly excellent chip set for upscaling and deinterlacing, to be identical to the Mits in performing that function, so I have continued to let the MITS do all the converting. It went counter to UMR's testing of the 732, so I felt a bit uncomfortable with my selection. It was my uncalibrated eyes vs UMR's equipment and skill. Now that UMR may have found a difference in the image processing of the 831, I feel a little better in my selection.

So, lets see what develops in the future. And what comments UMR can add to what he has already said. Hopefully he feels confident about additional posts. His is the voice of reason and empirical evidence that we really need here.

And I have sent another email to Mits to ask them about the image processing in their sets. Is there an engineering reason for improved processing. Hopefully they aren't tired of my questions and will answer this one too.

I have already decided not to return the 831. But this information will certainly make me feel better. It would turn my sense of the difference in value between 732 and 831 from about $100 to the retail price difference and justify the purchase. It might also help others to make the purchase decision between the two sets. Again, I think BOTH sets are excellent.

Peace.

I think that it is very hard to come to clear generalized conclusions about what sets do what better or worse in terms of handling interlace, scaling, and pulldown. think about the worst case situation in your own system. If you are using the Ymaha, which is pretty good in its class, but not a very high end processor, you could have a lot of layers of conversion going on. For instance, ifyou are watching ESPN using your STB output at 1080i You have the interlace and scaling in the box, pass througn in the Yamaha with at nest no effect, then the set has to take that and de-interlace a signal that was not supposed to be interlaced to start with, AND scale it. Now consider a movie, mastered to an interlaced signal, deinterlaced and scaled to broadcast at 720p, interlaced and upconverted in the STB or the Yamaha to 1080i, then deinterlaced and scaled again in the set. Or take a test disk, mastered to DVD, de-interlaced to output a progresive signal, scaled and interlaced in the Yamaha, then deinterlaced and scaled again in the set.

Now sort all that processing out and are you surprised that some strange effects are occuring?

Lets not jump to too many conclusions without some clear facts and some actual test data to evaluate. We have neither in any significant quantities, so for now I suggest that people WATCH the sets and keep what they seen in the proper context, considering the processing path from the source. The bottom line is that we want to avoid conversions as much a possible uless one has a fairly sophisticated VP. Even then, it won't be perfect.

Obviously, there are trade-offs in processing in all sets. Overall, Mitsubishi seems to have made some reasonable ones based on my experience. The sets look quite good on most signals compared to competition,particualrly when calibrated.

Unfortunately, the answer to most questions on the matter come down to the one generic answer that can apply to most video systems. It depends...

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area:
post #5766 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 03:43 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

...As far as UMR's comments are concerned, i interpret it as the 831 is converting to 30fps very smoothly with very little judder. My guess is the 831 is one of the best at the 3:2 pulldown.

My comments have nothing to do with judder. I would have said so if they did.

W. Jeff Meier

post #5767 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

Color: To my eye, the 731, 732 and 831 provide very pleasing colors. However, the bad news is that the nearest color temperature to 6500K provided by the factory settings is too low by about 1000K. And according to the measurements posted by ISF callibrator Jeff Meier, the color decoding as shipped by the factory is more than a little out of whack. The good news is that, at least for the 732s and 831s, a professional ISF calibrator can use the PerfectTint control to greatly improve the set's color accuracy.

Fine review (for AVS forum). Only comment is that here in the color section the SXRD comparison was omitted. The SXRD colors are more oversaturated than the Mits. In fact they can appear garish. The Mits secondary colors are pleasing but not too accurate. The grey scale was off by only 500 degrees in the Ultimate AV review of the 731. The tracking was excellent (flat):
http://ultimateavmag.com/rearproject...31/index6.html

For those who wish to learn and perform their own calibration:
http://usa.gretagmacbethstore.com/in...isplay%202.htm

Not a bad hardware and software package for $249 MSRP!
Here are the calibration packages ratings:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...tion_tools.htm

The highest rated user calibration package is the ColorEyes Display Bundle 3.2:
http://www.integrated-color.com/cedi...profiling.html
http://www.mikemacdonald.com/Recommended-Links.shtml
and cost about $325 MSRP
post #5768 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Now there's a phrase I haven't heard used in 30 years. Here's another; "Lab Queen" - a specially crafted unit (ostensibly for show/demo use)assembled from cherry picking (hand-selecting, testing and grading) components for a specific desired performance yield.

CPU manufacturers have been doing it for years.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #5769 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post

Holy cow, that's night and day. I was on the fence on the 57732, but if the SD really looks that much better on the 831 series, I might have to start looking at those.

Whoa!!! Before you make that jump you might want to compare SD display results using some different sources into the same TV (not comparing yours vs someone else's). In my own case, SD coming from my D* H20 STB (and output natively 480i and 4:3) are best case what I would call "soft focus". By contrast, looking at the same channel using my old D* RCA 480 STB as the source and suddenly SD is noticeably much clearer (acceptably so, in fact) . To use your terms, yes, a night and day difference. There is easily as much difference between my two STBs as you see in those photos. Be sure to compare apples to apples.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #5770 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post

Would any new Mits buyers please comment on if any excessive noise from either the fan or other components?
I am holding back from buying a 65831 mostly because there has been that issue, thanks.

The fan noise is what it is. Objectionable to a few, noticeable to others, unnoticeable (or unobjectionable) to most. - it depends. I think there are some variations in the amount of fan noise as evidenced by some folks exchanging their sets for an identical one and thereafter being happy. I don't think it follows with any specific model (731 vs 732 vs 831) or with set size (57 vs 65 vs 73).

If your set will be on a hardwood or ceramic (etc) surface with a smooth hard-surface wall behind it in an otherwise dead-quiet room, you may be more prone to hear it and be bothered by it. Sitting on a carpeted floor against or near a textured wall surface and you may not ever notice it.

It depends too on your hearing.

I can definitely hear the fan or colorwheel (or whatever it is) "spin-up" when I first turn my set on, but within a couple seconds I cannot hear it.

It just depends...

post #5771 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

My buddy just got a 732 and is on the verge of returning it, he sent me some shots of SD and it looks a bit diff... either there are signifigantly different chips in these things or his set/signal is aweful (we are both on Comcast, watching STB 6200 set to output 720p, I'm on 65831, he's on 57732).

Comparison shots here:
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/2006/...s-to-wd-57732/

Pretty meaningless since the channels are different, the programming is different, the camera distance is different, and probably the calibration settings are different (look at the massive edge enhancement in some of those 732 shots, tell your buddy to turn Sharp Edge off).
post #5772 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's another thought for those of you that struggle to make a decision between the 732 and 831.

Sony is about to come out with a new receiver, forgot the model number but you can search it here in thise forum, that has HDMI upconversion to 1080i/1080p. What this means is that you can connect your HDMI from your STB into the Sony and have it upconvert everything to 1080i/1080p then feed this signal to the Mits.
The gist of this is that all of your non HD programs from cable/sat should look a lot better. Including your SD DVD too as well...that is if you haven't bought an HD-DVD player.

Sooooooo... I'm saving my money for this new receiver. It's MSRP is around $1500 but you know the street price will be less. If the 831/732 price diff was less than $500, in my case it was 500, I would have bought the 831. Since I got the 732 I used the 500 bucks toward warranty and an HD-DVD player. Now I'm watching much better movies than those who have the 831 and SD DVD. In a few months I'm hoping to get the Sony receiver to take advantage of the Thure HD sounds through HDMI and also upgrading the quality signals of my SD programs from Comcast cable.
post #5773 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL. Do you really think the processing in a $1500 receiver is going to solve all of the conversion issues? You could spend many times that and still get artifacts under various conditions. What is the unit going to do with non-HD programming to make it look a lot better?

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area:
post #5774 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

LOL. Do you really think the processing in a $1500 receiver is going to solve all of the conversion issues? You could spend many times that and still get artifacts under various conditions. What is the unit going to do with non-HD programming to make it look a lot better?

No it won't solve all the issues but at least it'll help. If it takes someone more than 20 minutes looking at the 831/732 to see a difference and sometimes they can or cannot see the diff as many have stated here.... and on a set where the manufacturer never admit any processor difference, I'll go with a receiver that at least claim to upconvert.

Now... will the Sony make a diff? time will tell but I bet you that you'll see more of an improvement than what you'd already see between the 831/732.
Price does not equate to PQ. Case in point, you can spend 2 or 3 grand on a Denon upconvert dvd player or you can spend 200 bucks on an Oppo upconvert dvd player. I don't know about you but I rather spend 200 bucks on the Oppo or $350 on an HD-A1 player.

I think you guys here get down to so much tiny technical details sometimes that you haven't stopped and ask yourself...is it good value, can I see the diff, is it worth that much. Of course the caveat that beauty is in the eye of the beholder is at play here as well.
post #5775 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 07:06 AM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post

However, I do have to ask, could this be a calibration issue? I presume you did some calibration on your set when you got it, while your buddy might not have.

I'm not sure, I haven't calibrated anything but he might have calibrated (or messed up?) his settings. I just know that he has been playing with it since he got it and hates it (2 weeks?) and I got mine, plugged it in, and was very happy with it.

Best, Riyad

post #5776 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 AM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

Pretty meaningless since the channels are different, the programming is different, the camera distance is different, and probably the calibration settings are different (look at the massive edge enhancement in some of those 732 shots, tell your buddy to turn Sharp Edge off).

All very true comments, diff media/diff channels and such. I don't know that it *completely* invalidates the notation, but still things to consider.

Best, Riyad

post #5777 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

The fan noise is what it is. Objectionable to a few, noticeable to others, unnoticeable (or unobjectionable) to most. - it depends. I think there are some variations in the amount of fan noise as evidenced by some folks exchanging their sets for an identical one and thereafter being happy. I don't think it follows with any specific model (731 vs 732 vs 831) or with set size (57 vs 65 vs 73).

If your set will be on a hardwood or ceramic (etc) surface with a smooth hard-surface wall behind it in an otherwise dead-quiet room, you may be more prone to hear it and be bothered by it. Sitting on a carpeted floor against or near a textured wall surface and you may not ever notice it.

It depends too on your hearing.

I can definitely hear the fan or colorwheel (or whatever it is) "spin-up" when I first turn my set on, but within a couple seconds I cannot hear it.

It just depends...

Could be mistaken, but sure sounds like the Mits's have a variable speed fan which, similar to some desktop/laptop pc's, starts at full rpm then backs off (may account for hearing it most when 1st turned on, then not so much later). Also presume color wheel accounts for some noise, and the level may vary alittle between sets. Couldn't agree more that it's subjective from one person to the next. For those who get annoyed by a pin-drop, the Mits may be too much. For most everybody else, should be well within tolerance; also easily maskable, and probably attenuateable by placing sound-absorbant material behind set. Have heard far worse in other brands. i told my dealer that i read a comment or two on the internet about noise, and reserve the right to return my WD-57831 if it's an issue (turned out not to be)
post #5778 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Would any new Mits buyers please comment on if any excessive noise from either the fan or other components?
I am holding back from buying a 65831 mostly because there has been that issue, thanks.

Fan noise to me has been not an issue. I am sitting here in a quiet house, 7' from the front of the TV, with the TV on mute. I cannot hear the fan. Apparently it may be that some folks are sensitive to the frequency of the sound, which I may not be.
post #5779 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Onkyo, Yamaha and Pioneer have already done this, but it's good to hear that there will be more competition. I have the Onkyo and it rocks. You won't be able to tune individual inputs, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

Here's another thought for those of you that struggle to make a decision between the 732 and 831.

Sony is about to come out with a new receiver, forgot the model number but you can search it here in thise forum, that has HDMI upconversion to 1080i/1080p. What this means is that you can connect your HDMI from your STB into the Sony and have it upconvert everything to 1080i/1080p then feed this signal to the Mits.
The gist of this is that all of your non HD programs from cable/sat should look a lot better. Including your SD DVD too as well...that is if you haven't bought an HD-DVD player.

Sooooooo... I'm saving my money for this new receiver. It's MSRP is around $1500 but you know the street price will be less. If the 831/732 price diff was less than $500, in my case it was 500, I would have bought the 831. Since I got the 732 I used the 500 bucks toward warranty and an HD-DVD player. Now I'm watching much better movies than those who have the 831 and SD DVD. In a few months I'm hoping to get the Sony receiver to take advantage of the Thure HD sounds through HDMI and also upgrading the quality signals of my SD programs from Comcast cable.

a hole in the roof, or a 300 pound dead man in my yard. neither are good.
post #5780 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe the Yamaha won't upconvert thru HDMI. It only does it through component. Meaning, if you have HD from cable/sat through HDMI, your non-HD channels won't be upconverted.
And the Yamaha is MSRP around $1600 but selling for much less right now. So the Sony should be going for the same price in a couple of months or after Christmast? for much less. And the Sony upconverts thru HDMI. meaning your SD will be upconvert from 480i up to 1080i/1080p (not sure but I believe it's 1080i)

So now...there you have it. The future is toward HDMI, HD-DVD or Blue ray. And chances are you'll be getting a new receiver with HDMI input unless you have the 1st gen HD-DVD player that gives you TrueHD sound thru the analog channels, you'll want a new receiver. And I would wait a little bit to see how well these receivers will upconvert....but my guts's telling me that they will improve your SD programs a lot more than what you can see between the 831/732.

So STOP the Paralysis by Analysis syndrome. You guys are paralized from over analizing the screen difference on the 831/732. If your pocket is deep, go for the 831 else go for the 732. They're both excellent sets.
post #5781 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

I think that it is very hard to come to clear generalized conclusions about what sets do what better or worse in terms of handling interlace, scaling, and pulldown. think about the worst case situation in your own system. If you are using the Ymaha, which is pretty good in its class, but not a very high end processor, you could have a lot of layers of conversion going on. For instance, ifyou are watching ESPN using your STB output at 1080i You have the interlace and scaling in the box, pass througn in the Yamaha with at nest no effect, then the set has to take that and de-interlace a signal that was not supposed to be interlaced to start with, AND scale it. Now consider a movie, mastered to an interlaced signal, deinterlaced and scaled to broadcast at 720p, interlaced and upconverted in the STB or the Yamaha to 1080i, then deinterlaced and scaled again in the set. Or take a test disk, mastered to DVD, de-interlaced to output a progresive signal, scaled and interlaced in the Yamaha, then deinterlaced and scaled again in the set.

I should have been clearer about my tests of the scaling of the Yamaha receiver. The new Yamaha RXV2700 will not scale to 1080p, only to 1080i or 720p. So, I took the 480i from my DVD player, inputted it directly to the Mits as a baseline. Then I plugged it into the Yamaha, and had the Yamaha scale it to all its possible resolutions and output that via HDMI to the Mits. Of course, I do not have sophisticated test equipment and this was an eyeball test only. Neither I, nor the other people in the room saw any noticable difference in PQ. This is obviously a very limited test.

I would be reluctant to assume a receiver would solve a scaling problem. The new Sony, at its price point, may have a chipset similar to the A2000, which was not considered top quality either.

It would be good to get more definitive objective information on the scaling issue. UMR seems to be the only source at this point. I wonder if he would consider elaborating a bit more on his posts?
post #5782 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I believe the Yamaha won't upconvert thru HDMI. It only does it through component. Meaning, if you have HD from cable/sat through HDMI, your non-HD channels won't be upconverted.

Good thought. I think you are right. I double checked my testing process. From the Yamaha manual: "Use this feature to activate or deactivate the HDMI upconversion of the signals input at the component video jacks so that the up-scaled video signals are output at the HDMI OUT jack. The Unit upscales the signals as follows:
o 480i -> 480p, 1080i, or 720p
o 480p -> 1080i or 720p."

I did wire the input as component and output as HDMI. I assume this would result in upscaling in the Yamaha?

I just got all this equipment, so it is certainly possible I read the manual wrong.

You're right, it does not look like the Yamaha will input HDMI, scale it, and output HDMI. Input must be component for that to happen, but output can be either HDMI or component.
post #5783 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

SailorKane,
Can you do some test of the SD signal upconverted thru Yamaha Vs. non-upscaling of the SD signal thru the Yamaha and tell us if you can see a difference?

Set its output to 720p and 1080i and tell us what you see.

Can't wait to hear your results with the Mits.

Thanks for your testing efforts in advance.
post #5784 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 08:49 AM

Here's a bit on the Onkyo TX-SR674 (mine), and the Onkyo TX-SR604. I'm a bit confused, but I'm sure someone on here will set me straight. Either way, the 674 is just plain AWESOME for the money.

"UPPER SADDLE RIVER, NJ (8/31/06) -- Onkyo has introduced two mid-priced home theater receivers with features previously available only in much more expensive models. The Onkyo TX-SR674 and TX-SR604 are capable of integrating with the most recent advances in display and source technology, including the newly introduced HD-DVD and Blue-Ray formats.

Both models feature advanced HDMI switching with built-in repeaters to allow the receivers to switch digital video up to 1080p while still processing digital audio signals through the same HDMI connection. The TX-SR604 is believed to be the least expensive AV receiver with this feature. Additionally the TX-SR674 also converts analog video signals to HDMI, allowing use of a single cable for modern digital video displays. Each receiver provides a full suite of 7.1-channel surround processing as well as 7.1 multichannel inputs to ensure compatibility with newly emerging formats, including the HD and lossless audio formats that are part of the new HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disc technologies.

These receivers include the highly regarded Audyssey 2EQ system for automatic acoustic calibration, making it simple to tailor performance to individual listening rooms. Each is XM satellite radio ready, and they are designed to integrate with Onkyo's iPod docking stations. Extensive multi-zone, multi-room connection options make these receivers ideal tools for custom AV Systems installers. The receivers' amplifiers employ Onkyo's classic wide range amplifier technology (WRAT) to provide the high power needed for demanding home theater sound tracks.

"Home audio and video entertainment is changing at a dramatic pace right now, and the job of making all these technologies work together falls on the A/V receiver," comments Onkyo Marketing Manager Paul Wasek. "By implementing high end features like HDMI switching, video transcoding, automatic speaker calibration, and XM satellite radio tuning into our mid-priced models, Onkyo is giving consumers the control and performance they need without the sticker shock that cutting edge products often inflict on them."

a hole in the roof, or a 300 pound dead man in my yard. neither are good.
post #5785 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I do hear my fan when the sound is off or during the rare extremely quiet scenes.

Since we're practically neighbors, if you'd like to check out the set's noise performance in a home setting, send me a PM.

My wife is away on a three-week business trip. Your visit might give me necessary motivation to de-bachelorize the house.

Kevin
post #5786 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:

SailorKane,
Can you do some test of the SD signal upconverted thru Yamaha Vs. non-upscaling of the SD signal thru the Yamaha and tell us if you can see a difference?

Set its output to 720p and 1080i and tell us what you see.

Can't wait to hear your results with the Mits.

Thanks for your testing efforts in advance.

Not 100% sure what you wanted Rudy, but would be happy to do it. What I have done is take 480i from the DVD player and done the following:

1. Direct to Mits via component.
2. To Yamaha via component, output via HDMI to Mits.
3. To Yamaha via component, upscale to 480p, output via HDMI to Mits.
4. Same as 3, but upscale to 720p.
5. Same as 3, but upscale to 1080i.

No difference in quality on the input 480i signal among all the option. We could not tell a difference in quality.

Was that what you wanted?
post #5787 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wales View Post

...You could also try to convince them to just let you keep the 831 and still give you the money, which they may prefer when faced with the first scenario, but you are not entitled to that remedy...

Which is what I had almost considered asking for, until UMR posted about the improved video and film processing of the 831. Since I am fairly certain my Mits dealer reads AVS, I guess that won't work for me. Thanks a lot, Jeff!
post #5788 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Well, whatever he saw, it is quite a statement:

"The difference is in the video and film processing. The video processing was as good has I have seen on any product. The film processing was also in the same league as the best displays. There was no reason to play to use any resolution except for the native resolution of a source."

I was referring to his first statement.

This one does sound stronger.

I added this one to the "calibration comments" list last night.

Calibration Resources:

post #5789 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

I--and probably others--requested that of the Mods.

It was just too tempting to play with the Troll.

Thank you, Mods, for delivering me from temptation.

I just figured out what you were talking about. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i can finally take the noose off my neck, because I was poised to kick out the chair If i had to keep putting you know who on my twit list.
post #5790 of 9416 Old 10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

I should have been clearer about my tests of the scaling of the Yamaha receiver. The new Yamaha RXV2700 will not scale to 1080p, only to 1080i or 720p. So, I took the 480i from my DVD player, inputted it directly to the Mits as a baseline. Then I plugged it into the Yamaha, and had the Yamaha scale it to all its possible resolutions and output that via HDMI to the Mits. Of course, I do not have sophisticated test equipment and this was an eyeball test only. Neither I, nor the other people in the room saw any noticable difference in PQ. This is obviously a very limited test.

If you have access to either the DVE or AVIA disks, those have a pretty good test pattern that I think might "reveal" any possible issues. That's how UMR first discovered the deinterlacing issue on mine (not with a disk, but with his pattern generator).

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page