2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8971 of 9416 Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It sounds like everyone that follows the posts on cleaning their lens is having good luck doing this. I guess I will be the first one to say that I am not. I have followed everyones advice on how to do this, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, took my time, turned on the set and the picture come on for about three seconds and then goes off and the red light comes on flashing at me. I have tried resetting it but the same thing happens when I turn it back on.
Went back and checked all connections, no loose wires. Anyone have any ideas as to what may have gone wrong?
By the way, It is a WD-65831, 2 yrs old and on my 2nd lamp.
Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8972 of 9416 Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Feedback on using the bulb only and reinstalling it in the existing mounting box, vs the bulb coming already inside the mounting box (thingie?).

Are there any quality issues with the various bulb vendors?

Assuming I am very careful, don't touch the bulb with fingers, etc., that replacing it in the mounting box myself (and saving $100 or so in the process) works just as well as buying a bulb already mounted (example direct from Mits)?

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from damninteresting.com

post #8973 of 9416 Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

Feedback on using the bulb only and reinstalling it in the existing mounting box, vs the bulb coming already inside the mounting box (thingie?).

Assuming I am very careful, don't touch the bulb with fingers, etc., that replacing it in the mounting box myself (and saving $100 or so in the process) works just as well as buying a bulb already mounted (example direct from Mits)?

Nothing wrong at all as long as you are buying the same Osram lamp as the original Mits part.

Some sellers like Acme and Bursma offer a 1 year warranty on the lamp, so not only are you saving a bunch, but getting a better warranty as well.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #8974 of 9416 Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 AM

When I ordered my warranty replacement bulb from Mits.com they sent me the whole unit. I was under the impression I would have to send the old one back. They did not take a credit card or mention sending the old one back.

Also if you do order a osram bulb regardless if it says 150/180 if the part number is even one letter off it will not fit. I had to use the dremel on my original housing so it would fit. The ebay listing gave the mits part number and said it fit.
post #8975 of 9416 Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Search hasn't yielded any answers:

How do you reset the lamp hours after replacing the lamp?

Menu something...

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

post #8976 of 9416 Old 02-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Nothing wrong at all as long as you are buying the same Osram lamp as the original Mits part.

Some sellers like Acme and Bursma offer a 1 year warranty on the lamp, so not only are you saving a bunch, but getting a better warranty as well.

I ordered a Lamp only from River Valley Electronics for $125 shipped, and got an Osram P-VIP 150-180/1.0 E22h (whats printed on the bulb).

I do not actually need to install it yet, I just wanted to have the spare on hand as my tv is approaching 2 years old.

post #8977 of 9416 Old 02-14-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I don't beleive there is any way to reset that counter. Actually, as I have said before, you wouldn't want to. Just take note of the hours and date you replaced the lamp and attach it to the back of the set as a note. That counter is the hours the set has been running. A far better purpose that just a 'lamp' counter.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #8978 of 9416 Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, thanks Bruce.

post #8979 of 9416 Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM
SVX

Does anyone know where I can purchase the matching MB-57GB stand? My wife and I recently changed our room up and the stand we used does not fit well in the new setup. We have the WD-Y57/57732 and I am desperate. If anyone knows or if anyone is willing to sell one please email me at sdrew@charter.net or samdrew@us.ibm.com. My ebay rating is 100% with near 252 feedbacks so I am honest despite my newness to this forum (long time reader, first time poster).

Thanks in advance.

-Sandy
{ISV-K}SVX
"I'm on Fire!"
post #8980 of 9416 Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM

I’ve had my 57831 now for over 2 years.When I first got it it had an incredible picture.I had a replacement lamp covered under warranty in the 6th month.I noticed the picture was slowly fading so I just replaced the lamp again.Its much brighter now but I’m not happy with the picture now at all.Its OK as long as there isn’t any white or anything bright on the picture.The Tv is now straining my eyes and its driving me crazy.I can see a haze on the sceen whenever there is a bright screen.The blacks have no detail at all now.I’ve tried every setting imaginable and it doesn’t help.Blu-ray looks ok but not anywhere near as incredible that I’ve seen on other lcd and plasma sets.My 37″Magnavox lcd has a better picture with standard dvd than my blu-ray on this Mitsubishi.I’m going to sell this and go for a 50″Kuro or 58″Panasonic plasma.They have an incredible picture especially compared to the way this is looking lately.
post #8981 of 9416 Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Tomrich, you probably need to call Mits and have them replace your light engine. Read this thread and the 1080p one for more information about this.
post #8982 of 9416 Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrich View Post

I've had my 57831 now for over 2 years.When I first got it it had an incredible picture.I had a replacement lamp covered under warranty in the 6th month.I noticed the picture was slowly fading so I just replaced the lamp again.Its much brighter now but I'm not happy with the picture now at all.Its OK as long as there isn't any white or anything bright on the picture.The Tv is now straining my eyes and its driving me crazy.I can see a haze on the sceen whenever there is a bright screen.The blacks have no detail at all now.I've tried every setting imaginable and it doesn't help.Blu-ray looks ok but not anywhere near as incredible that I've seen on other lcd and plasma sets.My 37″Magnavox lcd has a better picture with standard dvd than my blu-ray on this Mitsubishi.I'm going to sell this and go for a 50″Kuro or 58″Panasonic plasma.They have an incredible picture especially compared to the way this is looking lately.

Check posts on "halos" and "blooming" regarding cleaning the lens(a diy project that works wonders).
post #8983 of 9416 Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Tomrich, you probably need to call Mits and have them replace your light engine. Read this thread and the 1080p one for more information about this.

I'm well past the warranty and I think this TV will never look as good as the newer plasmas or lcd's.I'll probably just replace it,specially with the prices of the 50" Pioneer Kuro.
post #8984 of 9416 Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think this TV will never look as good as the newer plasmas or lcd's.

Enjoy watching your electric meter spin.

No lamp to replace, but;

No CC support,
No TVGOS,
No dual RF inputs,
No POP,
NO 1394 support for starters.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #8985 of 9416 Old 02-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVOLanche View Post

Check posts on "halos" and "blooming" regarding cleaning the lens(a diy project that works wonders).

see Poodlehead's info at post number 8685. My self and several others have restored our sets by simply cleaning the light engine lens. A Light Engine Replacement is not necessary.
post #8986 of 9416 Old 02-21-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:

I'm well past the warranty and I think this TV will never look as good as the newer plasmas or lcd's.I'll probably just replace it,specially with the prices of the 50" Pioneer Kuro.

See Poodlehead's info at post number 8685. Myself and several others have restored our sets by simply cleaning the light engine lens. A Light Engine Replacement is not necessary.
post #8987 of 9416 Old 02-22-2009, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cleaning the lens assembly as described by poodlehead and others is easy to do, takes less than one hour, and will make a world of difference in the picture quality of your set. It's worth a try before buying a new TV.
post #8988 of 9416 Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM

I have several photos taken during the lens-cleaning process.But I have no hosting site so I can't post them.I can email them to anyone willing to post the photos.Fred
post #8989 of 9416 Old 02-22-2009, 12:29 PM

And I will provide service manual disassembly instructions/illustrations via e-mail.
post #8990 of 9416 Old 02-22-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Enjoy watching your electric meter spin.

No lamp to replace, but;

No CC support,
No TVGOS,
No dual RF inputs,
No POP,
NO 1394 support for starters.

Like most generalizations, these are largely incorrect or immaterial. I have an 831 and a Kuro. I like my Mits but the Kuro's picture is clearly superior. Energy usage from a plasma, properly calibrated and not in torch mode, isn't that much - my elec bill hasn't gone up since I got it. The Kuro has a TVGOS, as did my Panny 600, and 2 RF inputs is of no benefit to most. I get OTA through the RF input on the Kuro and also through the RF input on the Dish 622. 1394 support is also useless to many. I'm not sure what you mean by "POP" but the Kuro has PIP, as did the Panny. You can also change inputs directly with the Kuro, rather than scrolling through the menu like the Mits (perhaps no issue with a universal remote). On/off contrast with the Mits (mine is ISF'd) is c. 1800:1 whereas the 8G Kuro is about 9000 to 1. Colors on the Kuro are closer to Rec 709 as well, notwithstanding that the Mits has more user controls. I will say that the Mits has better scaling and deinterlacing than the Panny did but not as good as the Pioneer.

The advantages to the Mits are a matte screen, size and cost.

Go Duke !
post #8991 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Like most generalizations, these are largely incorrect or immaterial.

1. There is nothing incorrect, generalized or immaterial about my statement, since it applies to well over 95% of the current TV's,
2. It's common knowledge of the 2x increased power consumption of Flat Panel TV's especially Plasmas. Apparently, you haven't been to CNet or Crutchfield and looked through their power consumption figures. Using your electric bill as an example proves nothing since that set is only one device affects that figure,
3. Considering the premium cost of Pioneer (what, twice the price of RP?), one would expect it to look better,
4. The Mits does have direct input access. The 2 RF inputs are next to one another, requiring only a second button push,
5. PIP or POP (Picture Outside Picture) has slowly dissappeared. Admittly, I perfer PIP of the two.
Quote:
The Kuro has a TVGOS, as did my Panny 600, and 2 RF inputs is of no benefit to most.

That is two models. Because most Americans are lazy, not wanting to bother with a outdoor antenna, and want instant results and everything handed to them on a sliver platter (eg. CATV or Satellite STB's), it's their loss if they aren't using the 2nd RF input.

post #8992 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

aVOLanche; You can post pictures right here. Use the "Manage Attachments" option below the text window. The pics have to be smaller than 1024x768.

post #8993 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have several photos taken during the lens-cleaning process.But I have no hosting site so I can't post them.I can email them to anyone willing to post the photos.Fred

photobucket.com
flickr.com
etc.

If you want, I'll host them for you. Drop me a PM or send to yahoo.com. I think you can easily guess my username.

========

Semi-dumb question. I've been following this thread for like two years. I had planned to just call Mits rather than clean the lens myself. However, it looks like the light engine replacement only applies to those w/ 73" displays. Is this correct? I have a 57732 with no 3rd party extended warranty. So, should I just clean the lens myself?

Quote:
If you have one of the following models please read below for an important announcement. - WD-52631, WD-57731, WD-65731, WD-Y57, WD-Y65, WD-57732, WD-65732, WD-57831, WD-65831 It has come to our attention that a limited number of DLP® Projection Televisions are displaying a false message, "TV will shut down in a few seconds. Please check if the air flow is blocked," and then the TV shuts off. This message is being caused by a loose connection and may be easily corrected through one of our Authorized Service Centers. As part of our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, MDEA is announcing an extension of the warranty coverage to replace the thermal sensor for the above referenced models. For a period of two additional years beyond the one year limited warranty, MDEA will cover the cost of the thermal sensor (parts and labor) at no charge. All other terms of the MDEA limited warranty will continue to apply.

If you have one of the following models please read below for an important announcement - WD-73727, WD-73827, WD-73927, WD-73732, WD-73831. It has come to our attention that a limited number of these DLP¨ Projection Televisions may have performance issues related to the Optical Engine used in these sets. As part of our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, MDEA is announcing an extension of the warranty coverage applicable to the Optical Engine for the models listed above. For a period of two additional years beyond the one year limited warranty, MDEA will cover the cost of repair or replacing the Optical Engine (parts and labor) at no charge to you. The Lamp is not part of the Optical Engine; therefore, replacement of the Lamp is excluded from this extended warranty. All other terms and conditions of the MDEA limited warranty will continue to apply.

post #8994 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Hope this works!Here are some images taken during a cleaning of the lens:
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #8995 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:

photobucket.com
flickr.com
etc.

If you want, I'll host them for you. Drop me a PM or send to yahoo.com. I think you can easily guess my username.

========

Semi-dumb question. I've been following this thread for like two years. I had planned to just call Mits rather than clean the lens myself. However, it looks like the light engine replacement only applies to those w/ 73" displays. Is this correct? I have a 57732 with no 3rd party extended warranty. So, should I just clean the lens myself?

I'd clean the lens either way.There is no way to know,at this point,whether the lens will require periodic cleanings.....even with a new light engine.My guess is that it will need cleanings.It's really not a difficult procedure,especially if you read all the posts and gather the hints,pdf,etc. from those that have done it.I'm not sure that the picture is not BETTER after the cleaning,than when the TV was new! In any event,the difference is amazing. Fred
post #8996 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I'd clean the lens either way.There is no way to know,at this point,whether the lens will require periodic cleanings.....even with a new light engine.My guess is that it will need cleanings.It's really not a difficult procedure,especially if you read all the posts and gather the hints,pdf,etc. from those that have done it.I'm not sure that the picture is not BETTER after the cleaning,than when the TV was new! In any event,the difference is amazing. Fred

I had my light engine replaced in June of '08 due to blooming and the blooming is back. So a replacement will require periodic cleaning.

Thanks poodlehead, ck007, aVOLanche, and others for posting the info needed to do this maintenance.
post #8997 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Images e-mailed and uploaded...

Back panel removed

Bolts highlighted

Engine up close

Lens up close
post #8998 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Allargon,
Uploaded photos are much better than my links!Thanks.
post #8999 of 9416 Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Allargon,
Uploaded photos are much better than my links!Thanks.

Thank you... You're the one that took and illustrated the wonderful photos. I just put them up on photobucket.
post #9000 of 9416 Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Thank you... You're the one that took and illustrated the wonderful photos. I just put them up on photobucket.

Yes, thanks aVOLanche. Every bit of info we can get is very useful for us who want to keep our tvs looking their best.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page