2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 314 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9391 of 9416 Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVKurt,

I was getting the blinking green light and the shut down. When I would get the repeated shut down on power up I woud unplugg it for a few seconds to 'reset' it and it would work again, 'till the next time'. But the lamp never going out completely. The ballast had been replaced by Mitshubishi under warranty (only 2,000 hours out of the lamp not 5-6,000 as claimed). Well that ballast did the trick for that issue got over 10,000 hours before we started to notice it was getting dim.

This last lamp replacement (another lamp I replaced) I finally I called one the local TV/Electronic repair stores that I have been using for like 25 years (free estimates) the blinking lights etc. and he said the lamp was going bad or was bad. He was charging what it would cost me to get a new lamp and put it in the housing. So I had him put one in the housing, that lamp has been working great for a year , don't even remember the last time we had a problem (which is nice). Not sure the brand he put in but made sure it had the 180 watt unit and not strictly 150 watt.

Best to you
We all have the fraustration. but nice when it works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 9416 Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the reply, Majeskty.

That's the only thing I could think was the problem since the TV went through the normal starting procedures/shutting down/error message with my old Osram bulb in the housing - that the new OEM bulb did not have the power and it made the TV shut down right away after the bulb initially lit. Unfortunately, I cannot read the electrical charts in the Service Manual, so I don't know for sure that this might actually cause an automatic shut down. I've never read nor heard of this type of problem, so decided to post it here.

I've been extremely happy with the TV. I still like the picture better than any LCD and have no use for "Smart TVs" nor 3D gimmickry. I've spent $100 on a ballast and OEM bulb and have to decide whether it is worth itto spend another $100 to get a good brand of bulb to see if that does the trick or if there is another underlying problem.
post #9393 of 9416 Old 09-15-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKurt View Post

Thanks for the reply, Majeskty.

That's the only thing I could think was the problem since the TV went through the normal starting procedures/shutting down/error message with my old Osram bulb in the housing - that the new OEM bulb did not have the power and it made the TV shut down right away after the bulb initially lit. Unfortunately, I cannot read the electrical charts in the Service Manual, so I don't know for sure that this might actually cause an automatic shut down. I've never read nor heard of this type of problem, so decided to post it here.

I've been extremely happy with the TV. I still like the picture better than any LCD and have no use for "Smart TVs" nor 3D gimmickry. I've spent $100 on a ballast and OEM bulb and have to decide whether it is worth itto spend another $100 to get a good brand of bulb to see if that does the trick or if there is another underlying problem.

No problem we all have to stick together, we have enough $$$$ invested. Below are some links to bulb replacements that I have found for on line. River Valley use to have a video on how to put the bulb in the housing. Remember to use gloves to keep the oils from your hands off the bulb. Make sure it is the 180 watt version which is what I use for the WD-57831 I have

Too bad you were not in Omaha could send you over to the Electronic /TV repair that I use. He has treated me good over the last 25+ years.

James smile.gif

http://www.dlplampsource.com/915p049020-television-replacement-lamp.html

http://www.bluestar-online.com/915P049020_Mitsubishi_Replacement_DLP_Lamp_p/915p049020.htm?gclid=CLPW6aG4mJYCFQuYQAodyzT26A

http://www.rivervalleyelectronics.net/p-21480-mitsubishi-915p049020-replacement-dlp-tv-lamp-bulb.aspx
post #9394 of 9416 Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Liked: 15
Hey all, has anyone had issues with HDMI not working at all? My 65" has been working flawlessly for 4 years (same bulb since we don't watch much TV) and last night, while hooking up my new Onkyo 818 AVR, the TV went blank while I was messing with HDMI settings on the receiver.

To troubleshoot, I direct connected my DVR, PS3 and DVD player to the TV via HDMI, and none of them will show a picture anymore. It's either a blank screen or static. The Component Video input still works fine.

Does this mean my HDMI 'board' is dead?

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
post #9395 of 9416 Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try the "reset all inputs" which is press and hold the front panel buttons GUIDE and FORMAT at the same time, while the set is on.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from damninteresting.com

post #9396 of 9416 Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Well, overnight it apparently healed itself. HDMI 1 on the tv still doesn't work, but HDMI 2 started working, so I'm back in business now.

post #9397 of 9416 Old 09-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

Try the "reset all inputs" which is press and hold the front panel buttons GUIDE and FORMAT at the same time.

Thanks for this tip. I'll try this someday, to see if I can get HDMI 1 & 3 to start working again.

post #9398 of 9416 Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

Hey all, has anyone had issues with HDMI not working at all? My 65" has been working flawlessly for 4 years (same bulb since we don't watch much TV) and last night, while hooking up my new Onkyo 818 AVR, the TV went blank while I was messing with HDMI settings on the receiver.

To troubleshoot, I direct connected my DVR, PS3 and DVD player to the TV via HDMI, and none of them will show a picture anymore. It's either a blank screen or static. The Component Video input still works fine.

Does this mean my HDMI 'board' is dead?

Yes, they had to replace a board with new HDMI connectors. Glad the extended warranty paid for it. But they tried to say I was too rough with the cable installation. Give me a break I have build 3 computer's myself I know how to be careful on installations. This was several years ago at this point.

James
post #9399 of 9416 Old 09-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Hi Majeskty.

Just thought I'd give you (and anyone else who cares) an update.

Ordered an Osram bulb for the set and unfortunately when I tried it the same thing as before happens - bulb lights, tv power light becomes solid, then lamp shuts off as well as tv.

Not much else left to diagnose!

Since from what I gather the DM board controls the TV functions such as on/off, I assume that the problem lies in there. I did take the chassis out and did a cursory look at the boards to see if there were any glaring problems with capacitors or anything that looked fried, but didn't really see anything.

New DM boards seem to be in shorty supply and don't think it is worth the risk to buy a used one, so I think I'll have to retire this one:(

Never had a problem with the LE which is a miracle after perusing almost every thread on the net. Anyway, good luck with yours - hope you have many more hours of viewing pleasure with it.

If anyone needs a spare Osram lamp or a fairly new lamp ballast, you are welcome to PM me.
post #9400 of 9416 Old 09-28-2013, 05:18 PM

AVKurt,
Sorry no go on your HD TV. Just saw that there is a price drop on the 'New Ultra HD' tv's but still alot of $$ and few movies in 4k, but sony makes a 4k adapter for streaming from their offerings.
post #9401 of 9416 Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 AM

I own a 2006 wd-65831 It has been working great for over 3 years. Now it started having a problem with the remote and the front panel buttons.
After the set has been on for approx. 90 minutes the tv quits responding to the remote and the front panel buttons don't work. Only the front reset button works.
No other buttons work. If I push the reset button, after the tv restarts it will respond to the remote and front panel buttons for a short time and then the problem starts all over again.
I have also tried reinitializing the set from the service menu but no luck. Even if I don't use the remote the front panel buttons cease to operate after a short time.
Could this be a bad front panel board? Has anybody ran into this before.
post #9402 of 9416 Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 AM

WD-57732 Display Issue

I have owned my WD-57732 since 2007 with little to no problems other than the noted thermal issue. I have replaced only 2 lamps since I purchased the unit and have been pleased with the picture quality. Now I have an issue with the component inputs and what can best be described as severe interference. Any source connected via the component inputs will have severe black, horizontal lines interfering with the picture. HDMI is fine and the picture is pristine. Below is an image and brief video depicting the distortion. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etv8czwvzciq2w9/2013-11-20%2021.56.02.mov
post #9403 of 9416 Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 AM

I had the same problem. The repairman had to replace a major component (I think video board), about $300 plus> He said eventually it would progress to all video.
post #9404 of 9416 Old 12-22-2013, 03:02 PM

my 2006 WD-65831 might be dead and i'm trying to decide whether to abandon it or try to repair.

it has over 13,000 hours on it and has never needed service - only had to replace the lamp 3 times, so i figure i've been lucky. but a few days ago, for the first time, the picture went out and the red status light glows solid red. turn it on, the green power light comes on - no fan, no lamp - just some clicking. after a while the clicking stops, the green power light goes off and the solid red status light comes on.

i've tried all the remedies i've found on this thread and elsewhere to no avail. button reset, unplugged reset, replace the current lamp (new Sept 2013) & module with an older one that still works, etc.

the error code i get (from pressing menu & input buttons) says 16. i can't find this code for pre-2008 models, but for later ones it says "lamp enable not issued" with "possible bad color wheel" as the probable cause.

so...should i let it die an honorable death or try to repair? i sure would hate to simply abandon it if there is an inexpensive repair that could revive it!
post #9405 of 9416 Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 PM

I've got an inexpensive repair. For $350, you can have mine! W65733, with a brand new Mitsubishi bulb (not a knock-off). Can't believe I haven't had any interest on C-list. Such a good TV, but hard to get rid of.

post #9406 of 9416 Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 AM

switched my 73831 from fast power to low power today for the first time ever as far as i know (2nd lamp, philips this time, running at 7670.. i work out of town and leave it unhooked for months on end). when i turned it on now several hours later, i saw strange short horizontal lines of various colors flickering about the screen transparently over the image of my pc (dvi-d) as the display slowly reached the normal brightness. is that normal?
post #9407 of 9416 Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM

I inherited a WD-73733 about 5 months ago. It was very dim so I did some research and ultimately bought a bulb for $100 from a local shop and put it in myself. No problems until recently when a few white dots appeared, then multiplied to a few dozen. I called the local shop again and they said the DLP chip would be $225. I pulled out my entire light engine and took it to them. They said they would put the chip in for $100, or I could take the chip home and do it. They did give me a few helpful suggestions for things to look out for. I put the chip in myself and got the tv back in operation. It seems to work well now. We like the performance of the tv and would not want to have to pay for a replacement of that size.
old corps likes this.
post #9408 of 9416 Old 03-21-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48

Anyone Have Picture Problems after Mitsubishi DMD Chip Replacement? 

See this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523680/anyone-have-picture-problems-after-mitsubishi-dmd-chip-replacement

I apologize for cross-posting, but I need feedback from others with new chips.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #9409 of 9416 Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM

I"m in the same boat as a lot here. I've had the WD-65831 and feel I've got some good use out of it. The remote has gone out and now the the lamp light is flashing red. (guessing another lamp replacement is in order).

I'm a little scared to buy a cheaper lamp and at lamp direct from MIT is $250.

With the problems I"ve seen, I'm starting to think it may be time to get something else. I could pick up a 60" or 70" Vizio for less than half for what I originally paid for this guy when it first came out! eek.gif

I'm also running a Harmony Smart Control, so it'd be nice having a TV that doesn't have to warm up.

Thoughts?

Sounds like these babies are hard to sell or get rid of.
post #9410 of 9416 Old 06-10-2014, 10:27 PM

Hi folks, on Thursday I'll be inheriting a WD-65831. According to the owner,
Quote:
"the tv turns on and normally there's a blue welcome screen and then the picture comes on but it just stays on the blue screen."

So, googling "WD-65831 stuck on welcome screen", I keep seeing people reference a required firmware update that should (allegedly) clear up this issue. I'm seeing instructions online that say
Quote:
In most instances, normal operation can be restored by installing a software update available on-line to the public at www.mitsubishi-tv.com under the "Support" tab. The customer must be informed that he can download and install the software update himself, without involving a service call. See Service Tip VS-83 and Warranty Notice WR-5.

There is no option to download firmware on the mitsubishi-tv website. I'm wondering: does anybody have the update file and instructions that I could download? I see some people in this thread saying that Mitsu had to physically mail them a flash drive (and in some cases refused to do so), but I don't see any reason why I can't just create one on my PC.

People who have done a FW update, might I get some assistance? I won't have the TV in hand until thursday evening after work, but I'm looking forward to (hopefully) getting this bad-boy up and running again!

Thanks,

Matt
post #9411 of 9416 Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

I have the firmware v33-8.02 that they sent me years ago for my wd-57831. It should work with your tv as well, but this isn't the newest firmware. You might try calling their support line. Not sure why the firmware cannbot be downloaded. You will need to copy it to an SD memory stick. unplug tv, insert the memory stick into slot on front of tv, plug it in. (forget if there were any other steps.).

You should call their service number or parts number. They might ship it to you. They shipped it to me, I loaded it, (made a backup copy), then sent them the sd card back.

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

post #9412 of 9416 Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post
I have the firmware v33-8.02 that they sent me years ago for my wd-57831. It should work with your tv as well, but this isn't the newest firmware. You might try calling their support line. Not sure why the firmware cannbot be downloaded. You will need to copy it to an SD memory stick. unplug tv, insert the memory stick into slot on front of tv, plug it in. (forget if there were any other steps.).

You should call their service number or parts number. They might ship it to you. They shipped it to me, I loaded it, (made a backup copy), then sent them the sd card back.
Interesting development. Turned out they told me the wrong model number. When they dropped the TV off this evening, it turned out to be a WD-65737 which does have a USB port. I followed the instructions to reflash the firmware and it came back to life!

Unfortunately the picture is very subpar. The inside of the TV set is filthy and I think there's been a haze developing on the color wheel and lenses. I saw a youtube video walking through the process of removing and cleaning the optical engine and I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm a PC Technician by trade and I'll do trauma surgery on laptops all day long without breaking a sweat but this scares me.

Additionally, the lamp is very dim so for now I bought a cheap $30 one on amazon (prime shipping, I'm impatient). If I decide it makes enough difference to sway me into keeping the TV, I'll probably pick up an osram lamp since I know the generics are pretty crummy by comparison.

Last edited by matt314159; 06-12-2014 at 07:32 PM.
post #9413 of 9416 Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 AM

Liked: 0
I just purchased an WD-57831 from CL - I installed a new bulb and cleaned the lenses as instructed by this post: Mitsubishi 2007 (and possibility '06 & '08) lens cleaning procedure. No more halo's. - so far the set looks great!

Question: Could anyone PM the latest (available) firmware for the WD-57831?

Thanks!
post #9414 of 9416 Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

What firmware does the 57831 currently have? I have the 33-8.02.

post #9415 of 9416 Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Liked: 0
Stupid question, but is there new firmware anywhere for the WD-60735?
post #9416 of 9416 Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Format button stopped working???

On my WD-73734 my Format button (remote or on TV) no longer scrolls thru the screen sizes. Anyone have any ideas how to get that function back?

Thanks for any insights.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page