Old 08-22-2006, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

You're going to love it.
Unlike the old conventional TVs there are no visible scan lines.
Modern thinking is get the biggest set that will fit the room & decor.

Thanks Cap'n Preshoot for your opinion - I think the 57" may be a touch big for my room but I'm still willing to push it. I guess the size variance is negligible between 52" & 57"

I'm sure to quickly get over the set's size dominance of the room while 57732 transcends me into football viewing heaven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtme View Post

I was told that the 65732 shipped in mass to dealers yesterday. Dealer expects 2-3 days to arrive and can ship out this Friday or Monday to buyer.

Do you expect this weekend to have any sales that might make a difference for lower cost, or is the price today about as good as it will get for a while?

Can you find out about the 57831 and the 57732? ...Pretty please!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

You're going to love it.
Unlike the old conventional TVs there are no visible scan lines.
Modern thinking is get the biggest set that will fit the room & decor.

You might, or might not love it...that is pretty close for a lot of people's taste on a screen that size. If you are prone to motion sickness and such you would not be happy. I suggest you go to a store...measure out your distance carefully, and sit and watch a while. If you like it go for it! I would also suggest you buy with a return privledge just in case it proves to be too big at home. I am a 'bigger is better' person myself...but I do understand there is a limit to how big is good..and people vary a lot on their idea of what is the ideal size at a given viewing distance.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrain View Post

Thanks Cap'n Preshoot for your opinion - I think the 57" may be a touch big for my room but I'm still willing to push it. I guess the size variance is negligible between 52" & 57"

I'm sure to quickly get over the set's size dominance of the room while 57732 transcends me into football viewing heaven.

Actually there is quite a significant difference between 52 and 57, so weigh things carefully before you jump in. I can tell you that I would not want more than a 50-52 inch or so at 8 feet. Anything larger would be too big at that distance for MY taste.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know the differences between the 52 and 57, but between my old 55" (WS55819) and the 65731 there is only 8 inches total width difference, 4 inches on each side but I think you gain approx 25% more surface area. Side-by-side it is a pretty impressive diff.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 AM

on the 831. I guess the main difference is the high contrast screen.

Does this screen somehow just flat out improve PQ? Or does it do someting to the picture that tends to agree to some and not others?.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
SCA

Formerly owned a Mitsubishi 50" RPT. Sold it 3-4 weeks ago with the intent to purchase a Samsung HL-S5687/88 until I began reading about all the QC issues. I then waited for the release of the Sony A2000, but then I began to read things about it. I viewed it at CC and I still preferred the Samsung. Now I have come full circle and back to Mitsubishi. I am considering the 57732 & the 831. I wish there were some specific details regarding the high contrast screen on the 831. The local Tweeter does not expect the 732 in their warehouse until 9/01 and the 831 on 9/12. With college football season beginning I don't want to go much longer without a Tv. The sales rep stated that I possibly could have the 732 by Labor Day, but the 831 would be closer to the end of Sept.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

Sales rep state I possibly could have the 732 by Labor Day, but the 831 would be closer to the end of Sept.

and that's going to be the dilemma. the new screen is really gaining interest. i just don't know if i want to wait 2-3 weeks into football season to see it.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was told that the 65732 shipped in mass to dealers yesterday. Dealer expects 2-3 days to arrive and can ship out this Friday or Monday to buyer.

Do you expect this weekend to have any sales that might make a difference for lower cost, or is the price today about as good as it will get for a while?

Until the ads hit the papers, it's all just speculation. However, the next couple weekends should be good for HDTV sales, considering the start of FB season. Labor Day weekend sales are also somewhat of a tradition.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

The sales rep stateed that I possibly could have the 732 by Labor Day, but the 831 would be closer to the end of Sept.

In Houston, TX we've been almost guaranteed we'll have the 65732 by next mid-week, and certainly by Sep 1 at the latest. Dunno how much stock to put into HDTME's post about the 65732's shipping yesterday, but if true then we may have 'em a week earlier by this Friday the 25th unless there is some restriction on dealers releasing them before a certain date.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM

I was originally told that my 65831 would be here on August 24th, then September 30th. Just hung up w/ the store that has my money for the set. They said they were just told to expect the sets w/in the first week of September. WTF mate?

a hole in the roof, or a 300 pound dead man in my yard. neither are good.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 AM
SCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

Just hung up w/ the store that has my money for the set. They said they were just told to expect the sets w/in the first week of September. WTF mate?

831s at the first of Sept. would be great!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 AM

Was playing around on the Mitsu Parts Site and searched for the 57732. I thought the results were interesting in that they list the 57732 as a "STEP UP DLP" and substitute the manual for the WDY57
Old 08-22-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

I was originally told that my 65831 would be here on August 24th, then September 30th. Just hung up w/ the store that has my money for the set. They said they were just told to expect the sets w/in the first week of September. WTF mate?

Who did you buy from? Where are they located?

John McAdams
Old 08-22-2006, 10:17 AM

Do the new Mitsu DLPs pass the digital audio from the HDMI IN through to the Digital Coax OUT? I ask because the 725/825 DLP series from a year ago do not. They only pass digital through when it's from the internal tuner.

Also, does HDMI video go through a D->A conversion internally on the new DLPs like it did in the earlier 525/725/825s?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Forum member Parasite (I hate saying that name) is attending Mits line show today. He should have a thorough report later today. I especially want to hear more about the 65831.

John McAdams
Old 08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenguru View Post

I keep asking the same question with no responce... Is there a calibraor on this thread that knows about mitsub calibration on new sets?

PLEASE!

Hey Teach,

Is your dealer still telling you delivery on the 65831 for August 25th?

John McAdams
Old 08-22-2006, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

According to Westafrom a post earlier...the difference in the screen between the 732 and 831 ...may be due to this similar screen.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manu...ions/index.asp

This is not the same screen....but one would hope thatr the screen on the 831 will make that much of a difference.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorick View Post

"What are the rest of you doing or planning for your stand?"

I went with this stand from Best Buy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085296252

It's on sale now for $250 and I personally think it's pretty sharp. It should go very nicely with the high gloss black of the 65831 I bought. The width is 58" which should work perfectly with the 65" sets that have a 58.5" width.

Braved the awful din of boom box noise last night and dragged the wife along (to get WAF) to take a look at this stand at BB.

The sale is on through Sat'dy 8/26 and indeed it is MUCH BETTER than the std Mits factory stand. This has adjustable (height) feet (for leveling) and the Mits stand just sits flat on the floor. This stand also has nice cable management whereas the Mits stand has none. Mits stand is all wood, this one is heavy smoked black glass. Easy decision. Thanks again for the link and the tip. Wife also approved.

I'm thinking (hoping) those adjustable feet are probably removable and might allow for replacement with some heavy casters.

Also ordered an OPPO 971 yesterday. We're all set, just waiting by the window watching for the delivery truck, like a kid watching for Santa

Old 08-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I was all set to insist on the matching factory stand for my soon to arrive Mits 65732 until I saw one last night.

After having seen it, my wife and I both agree, the Mits factory stand is hideous, looks cheap and has no cable management. It is scarecely an improvement over concrete blocks and wood planks.

Where did you see the stand at?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Where did you see the stand at?

You know now I don't remember, but it was either at Conns or Circuit City (both at Houston Hwy-6/Westheimer area) had one with a 65731 sitting on it. It's really an atrocity, at least IMO. After seeing it then the stand at BB, the decision was easy.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Actually there is quite a significant difference between 52 and 57, so weigh things carefully before you jump in. I can tell you that I would not want more than a 50-52 inch or so at 8 feet. Anything larger would be too big at that distance for MY taste.

I would agree with you if your majority viewing was SD - but if that's the case the person would be wasting their money getting a HT in this day and age for SD.

If a person has an HD DVD/BD, subscribed to HD content with Premiums and that is your majority viewing 8 feet is actually a great distance for 1080i on a 57" and matches up with both my calculators and the panels I've owned - an SXRD 60" at 8.5' was perfect for HD viewing and immersively WoW-riffic but admittedly an issue with SD but I watch very little SD.

For those unwillingly to maximize source content to match the TV's capability up to 1080P (primarily 1080i) then yes you'll be viewing Turdvision with 480i SD as that math limits what any large panel can do with it especially after getting accustomed to 600% improvement of good HD - but you'll be in HT Heaven with HD on a 57" from 8'. To me 1080i is the Rodney Dangerfield of HD with this obsession to get to 1080P - 1080i usually looks amazing on my panel or any Native display I've seen and affords much closer viewing rewards. JMO.

If in doubt go to the store and spend time at 8' to see how it impacts you but realizing 57" doesn't look all that large in the store but once in your home will suddenly seem to grow but within 10 days or so the size becomes normal and the immersion remains, at least it has with mine excepting that a 45" cannot make up for a loss of 15" with that immersion.

Budget the source content with appropriate HD Material otherwise why bother? When I view my Sharp which is native 1080i that doesn't take 1080P fully- but yet in dot-by-dot mode I can get right up to the screen without noise, or pixels on a 45" and a 57" displaying 1080P native is easy for "HD" especially at 1080i(p).

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone seen the 73732 on display? The tweeter store closest to me said they we're scheduled to receive them last Wednesday.

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post

Do the new Mitsu DLPs pass the digital audio from the HDMI IN through to the Digital Coax OUT? I ask because the 725/825 DLP series from a year ago do not. They only pass digital through when it's from the internal tuner.

As far as I know, no TV passes DD5.1 from HDMI in to Digital Audio out.

I am waiting for that feature also. I can't imagine why no one has implemented it.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:28 PM

[quote=hdtme]Big T. Whats a good Mitsubishi dealer in the Las Vegas area?[quote=hdtme]

PM SENT HDTME
Old 08-22-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

Who did you buy from? Where are they located?

American TV and Appliance in O'Fallon, IL. It's a Suburb of St.Louis, MO.

a hole in the roof, or a 300 pound dead man in my yard. neither are good.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I would agree with you if your majority viewing was SD - but if that's the case the person would be wasting their money getting a HT in this day and age for SD.

If a person has an HD DVD/BD, subscribed to HD content with Premiums and that is your majority viewing 8 feet is actually a great distance for 1080i on a 57" and matches up with both my calculators and the panels I've owned - an SXRD 60" at 8.5' was perfect for HD viewing and immersively WoW-riffic but admittedly an issue with SD but I watch very little SD.

For those unwillingly to maximize source content to match the TV's capability up to 1080P (primarily 1080i) then yes you'll be viewing Turdvision with 480i SD as that math limits what any large panel can do with it especially after getting accustomed to 600% improvement of good HD - but you'll be in HT Heaven with HD on a 57" from 8'. To me 1080i is the Rodney Dangerfield of HD with this obsession to get to 1080P - 1080i usually looks amazing on my panel or any Native display I've seen and affords much closer viewing rewards. JMO.

If in doubt go to the store and spend time at 8' to see how it impacts you but realizing 57" doesn't look all that large in the store but once in your home will suddenly seem to grow but within 10 days or so the size becomes normal and the immersion remains, at least it has with mine excepting that a 45" cannot make up for a loss of 15" with that immersion.

Budget the source content with appropriate HD Material otherwise why bother? When I view my Sharp which is native 1080i that doesn't take 1080P fully- but yet in dot-by-dot mode I can get right up to the screen without noise, or pixels on a 45" and a 57" displaying 1080P native is easy for "HD" especially at 1080i(p).

I stand by my feelings that 8 feet is way too close to watch a 57 inch screen for a LOT of people...including me. I don't care what quality the content is..that is just too close for me. I don't like to sit in the front half of a theater either for the same reasons. I don't care to be 'immersed' in the program. I get a headache watching things moving around the screen so fast. I think the 'expert' distance suggestions are not very good for typical viewers. I have a 50 inch Sony A-10 and watch it at about 13 feet...and yes i wish it was BIGGER. But some of my friends even think it is too big ,and it bothers them to watch fast fast moving scenes. Imagine what they would say about 57 inches at 8 feet! If some people like a huge screen that close, that is great. But I think people need to be cautioned that they may be unhappy with an overly large screen at home. It's a personal thing to be sure, and your comments are well taken. I don't think I could tolerate a 57 inch any closer than about 10 feet, and a 60 is great at 10-12 for me.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

But I think people need to be cautioned that they may be unhappy with an overly large screen at home.

I agree with all the points you made, but want to add this observation.

I've been reading the RPTV forums at AVS for about four years. In that time I don't recall anyone complaining that the size of the screen they bought was too big. There have been a very large number of folks reporting that they wish they had bought a bigger screen.

The only explanation for that observation that I can come up with is that people who are bothered by screens that are too big are smart enough to pick the right size for them. Some of the smaller screen buyers are not bothered by big screens, and realize that they want a bigger one only after they have lived with a TV for a while.

I sit in the middle of the theater.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats great input. Thanks. I didnt realize you could purchase these after the fact when still with the warranty period. That takes some pressure off and opens up more possibilities, even from my own insurance company. Nice Job. thanks

That's something else to check. Some extended warranties can be purchased anytime during the first year of ownership (while still covered by the MFR.) Others have to be bought within the first 90 days.

I wouldn't put much emphasis on whether or not they cover the lamp. Nice, yes, but $2-300 bux is something that's usually affordable. An $800 ~ $1000 repair is another matter. APM Electronics in Houston charge $250 just to pickup & redeliver a plasma screen (including dismount & re-hang).

Old 08-22-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw the Mits that CC is selling. Apparently they have given them a unique model number (probably to avoid having to deal with "price matching"). It had the darker piano black case which looks quite nice. PQ looked good, but the source was very weak with macroblocking, and was going to several other devices, so it wasn't much use in that regard.