post #1741 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle View Post

This tv doesn't have perfect tint.

Sorry. Maybe it's PerfectColor or whatever the new color setting sub-menu is called. It's one of the video options when scrolling through the video settings. You can't see what the settings are until you activate it.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD 60" Plasma TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player
TiVo HD XL

"We are only immortal for a limited time."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

...Production on the 831 Diamond Series will begin next week...Here in the DC Area they expect the sets in the warehouse by Thurs the 7th or Fri the 8th...

Guess that settles it... will go gawk at the 732's this weekend, and 831's the weekend after next. As soon as passes the "seeing is believing" test, gonna shell out my hard-earned greenbacks for one of those puppies! (unless Parasite comes up with an irresistable mass selling plan...). Since just about neighbors in the greater Wash. area, just curious, r u dealing with Big Screen Store or Tweeter (or both)?
post #1743 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

The 831 does deal with ambient light better. It blocks it

But if ambient light is not a problem for someone, then we're pretty much back to the HC screen as the most salient feature, say comparing it to a 732, correct?

Perhaps I'm easily impressed, but I was pretty taken with the 65731 when I first saw it. I think to make a fair comparison of the 732 vs the 831 you'd have to see them side by side and adjusted equally with ambient lighting conditions closely approximating those of your own in order to see if the difference was worth the dough.

I agree the 732 is more than worth the $200 diff, just not sure the step up to the 831 is worth even more (to me anyway)

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #1744 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenking View Post

Guess that settles it... will go gawk at the 732's this weekend, and 831's the weekend after next. As soon as passes the "seeing is believing" test, gonna shell out my hard-earned greenbacks for one of those puppies! (unless Parasite comes up with an irresistable mass selling plan...). Since just about neighbors in the greater Wash. area, just curious, r u dealing with Big Screen Store or Tweeter (or both)?

Big Screen Store in Annapolis. I despise Tweeter.

John McAdams
post #1745 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

Perhaps I'm easily impressed, but I was pretty taken with the 65731 when I first saw it.

I've had my 65731 for almost a month now and contimue to be impressed every day. At least once an evening my wife and I both have a moment where we shake our heads because we cant believe how good the picture is. Especially at 65".

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD 60" Plasma TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player
TiVo HD XL

"We are only immortal for a limited time."
post #1746 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But if ambient light is not a problem for someone, then we're pretty much back to the HC screen as the most salient feature, say comparing it to a 732, correct?

Perhaps I'm easily impressed, but I was pretty taken with the 65731 when I first saw it. I think to make a fair comparison of the 732 vs the 831 you'd have to see them side by side and adjusted equally with ambient lighting conditions closely approximating those of your own in order to see if the difference was worth the dough.

I agree the 732 is more than worth the $200 diff, just not sure the step up to the 831 is worth even more (to me anyway)

No since trying to convince you of the diffrence. When you see the 732 and see the step up from the 731 you will know. Then the 732 to 831 in my opinion is almost as remarkable. The HC screen is what makes the tv look like a big plasma.
dont think the term blocks light means just ambient light. its hard to explain I guess the closest thing would be one of those screen you can buy for projectors that you can use during the day. It makes the use of the lamp much more efficient,and therefore increases all contrast in colors and blacks. You know how the auto iris on the SXRD's you can see when the screen goes from a dark to light scene and back, GONE with this screen.
post #1747 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follow Who? View Post

Sorry. Maybe it's PerfectColor or whatever the new color setting sub-menu is called. It's one of the video options when scrolling through the video settings. You can't see what the settings are until you activate it.

its perfect color and they are all set to standard, nothing fancy.

Ticks me off

What's your choice today?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1748 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin View Post

Isn't the current MSRP like $3699 for the 65732 and $4199 for the 65831?

I hope quoting MSRP doesn't violate the "price talk" rule.

Ruin

Quoting 'end column dealer net' prolly wouldn't either as long as there was no mention of 'where' or 'how' or of soliciting PMs for more details and/or referrals. I think that is more the purview of the "official paid member" status in the private forums.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #1749 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:

damn this screen!!!!!!

ok, the 180w bulb in the 831s. was that included in part because of the inherent darkness of the high contrast screen? i'm not sold on the screen yet, and it starting to seem that too much of the step up to the 831 is centered on the screen.

in addition to seeing the removable hc screens from last year's diamond models, the salesman at ue told me that he still had three of those models in boxes in the back and chances were they'd be putting them on clearance this fall because they were not big sellers.

i wanna believe that this screen can eliminate sse...
post #1750 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follow Who? View Post

I've had my 65731 for almost a month now and contimue to be impressed every day. At least once an evening my wife and I both have a moment where we shake our heads because we cant believe how good the picture is. Especially at 65".

Watching the Carolina/Miami game last night I was just awed by the picture. Especially the close ups on the field. Fox has improved light years in their HD coverage the last few years.

Real football starts next weekend. Can't wait to see Miami vs. FSU in HD.

John McAdams
post #1751 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM

Well were I work we got the WD-73732 in stock already!!! Will post when we get anything else.
post #1752 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG T View Post

Well were I work we got the WD-73732 in stock already!!! Will post when we get anything else.

ours should be here any day now. Hey can you get the display up and snap a few pix? I am going to when we get the 831 or when I get mine, whatever is first
post #1753 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

ours should be here any day now. Hey can you get the display up and snap a few pix? I am going to when we get the 831 or when I get mine, whatever is first

Would love to but its in my warehouse. Since it hit today and my truck already came this morning, I won't get for display til Monday.
post #1754 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

damn this screen!!!!!!

ok, the 180w bulb in the 831s. was that included in part because of the inherent darkness of the high contrast screen? i'm not sold on the screen yet, and it starting to seem that too much of the step up to the 831 is centered on the screen.

in addition to seeing the removable hc screens from last year's diamond models, the salesman at ue told me that he still had three of those models in boxes in the back and chances were they'd be putting them on clearance this fall because they were not big sellers.

i wanna believe that this screen can eliminate sse...

Claims are that it does, but seeing will be believing.

The 731 (and likely the 732) has a slightly darker (ok, less bright) screen in the 65" model than the 57" model for reasons that should seem obvious; you have the same wattage lamp in both models, but 25% greater screen surface area on the 65.

However, this difference is not noticeable unless your viewing is more than 45 degrees off-axis. With a recommended viewing distance of 8~12 feet you're going to have to be seated somewhere along the side wall for this to be an issue.

The 180-watt lamp in the 831 will consume incrementally more energy and generate more heat causing a greater air conditioning load, but there again it's unlikely you'll want either the 731, 732 or 831 running in torch mode.

post #1755 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:

However, this difference is not noticeable unless your viewing is more than 45 degrees off-axis. With a recommended viewing distance of 8~12 feet you're going to have to be seated somewhere along the side wall for this to be an issue.

ok, now this is interesting. my wife and i both commented on this yesterday while viewing the 731s at ue. it appeared to us that the viewing angles were greatly decreased on the 65731 compared to the 57731. it seemed the 57731 would be a lot more forgiving picture-wise if you weren't sitting right in front in the sweet spot. now are you saying that's because of the screen? and how do you think that bodes for the hc screen on the 831 (even though parasite hinted that it improved the viewing angles)?
post #1756 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Isn't the current MSRP like $3699 for the 65732 and $4199 for the 65831?

I hope quoting MSRP doesn't violate the "price talk" rule.

Ruin

Yep.

It sucks that they only do the gloss black on the 831. I want the gloss black!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1757 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:

The 180-watt lamp in the 831 will consume incrementally more energy and generate more heat causing a greater air conditioning load, but there again it's unlikely you'll want either the 731, 732 or 831 running in torch mode.

Interesting,

Mitsubishi themselves refers to the new lamp this way on their website:

TurboLight180
Mitsubishi has pushed lamp technology to its limit! Our unique, patented optical design focuses light more efficiently to produce a 10% brighter on-screen image. TurboLight produces a brighter image without increasing the amount of power consumed or heat produced, therefore it does not compromise the life or performance of the lamp itself. Mitsubishi's exclusive TurboLight technology directs more light to the DLP chip surface resulting in a brighter, more vivid on-screen image.
post #1758 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 01:35 PM

I just spoke to the company I preordered the 65831 from and they said that some already came in and shipped to the people ahead of me. I believe them because now they said I am number 6 in line based on a post on this forum I figured I was I was around 20-25 before. I know there is a lot of different opinions about the release date but that was what I was told. If true someone out there should have theirs by now or very soon.
post #1759 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCavTanker View Post

Interesting,

Mitsubishi themselves refers to the new lamp this way on their website:

TurboLight180
Mitsubishi has pushed lamp technology to its limit! Our unique, patented optical design focuses light more efficiently to produce a 10% brighter on-screen image. TurboLight produces a brighter image without increasing the amount of power consumed or heat produced, therefore it does not compromise the life or performance of the lamp itself. Mitsubishi's exclusive TurboLight technology directs more light to the DLP chip surface resulting in a brighter, more vivid on-screen image.

A good lawyer might argue about the several ambiguities in that statement. First a reference is made to it being more efficient. More efficient than what? They didn't tell us, did they? Does it consume more or less energy or produce more or less heat than its 150-watt stablemate? They didn't say that either, did they?
10% brighter with a 20% higher wattage lamp? Hmmmm..... Interesting technology indeed.

post #1760 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Roll View Post

I just spoke to the company I preordered the 65831 from and they said that some already came in and shipped to the people ahead of me. I believe them because now they said I am number 6 in line based on a post on this forum I figured I was I was around 20-25 before. I know there is a lot of different opinions about the release date but that was what I was told. If true someone out there should have theirs by now or very soon.

you must have preordered from tva

(you'll be #75 next week)
post #1761 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

it appeared to us that the viewing angles were greatly decreased on the 65731 compared to the 57731. it seemed the 57731 would be a lot more forgiving picture-wise if you weren't sitting right in front in the sweet spot. now are you saying that's because of the screen? and how do you think that bodes for the hc screen on the 831 (even though parasite hinted that it improved the viewing angles)?

Having only seen the 57731 and 65731 side by side, I wouldn't even hazard a guess.

However, with the same number of lumens accurately focused toward two similar screens, different only in the size of their surface area, you might logically assume that the larger screen would appear darker than the smaller one.

This ought to be easy enough to measure with a photographer's light meter.

post #1762 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:

A good lawyer might argue about the several ambiguities in that statement.

Yeah I suppose a lawyer would be the type of person to read into their descripton . I think the bigger question is, is the brighter lamp output required due to the darker screen of the 732/831 series?
post #1763 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCavTanker View Post

Yeah I suppose a lawyer would be the type of person to read into their descripton . I think the bigger question is, is the brighter lamp output required due to the darker screen of the 732/831 series?

I thought the new screen material was just on the 831 series. Is it on the 732 as welll?

post #1764 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle View Post

"Invalid signal type. If analog PC, change setting in Input Name Menu."
Thank you.

anyone else ever get a message like this while conncting a computer? I mean, the connection works, but it has that message at the bottom. when i press exit it disappears, and when i press info, it shows back up.

any thoughts?

What's your choice today?

post #1765 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Roll View Post

NO 65831's have been shipped to customers. They are not even in production as of yet. This is fact direct from the manufacturer.
post #1766 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I thought the new screen material was just on the 831 series. Is it on the 732 as welll?

The new high contrast screen is ONLY in the 831 series
post #1767 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

post #1768 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 PM

Folks, "Turbolight" refers to the lighting optical system in all 3 of these DLP ranges, the 731,732, and 831. Overall they contend the 10% greater light on a given wattage. The 831 has a 180watt Turbolight rather than a 150watt Turbolight so you are not comparing a non-Turbolight to a Turbolight when comparint the 731-32 to the 831.

I am pretty much sold on the 65831. If I am gonna buy this TV and assume a life of 10 years, the extra money amortized over the life seems to me to be worth the higher contrast screen with the brighter light and you know, the extra remote will be usefull when I set the system in "babysitter mode;" she can use that simple remote.

Ruin
post #1769 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post

Ok, that's answers the question if it is required for the HC screen (obviously not).
post #1770 of 9416 Old 08-25-2006, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am pretty much sold on the 65831. If I am gonna buy this TV and assume a life of 10 years

If the technological advancements continue at the pace they have over the past 5 years, my bet is you're going to be tired of it and wanting to replace it in favor of the latest widget in 5 years.

and what will the life expectancy of todays new sets be? They say the increase in extended warranty prices, nearly doubling in some market areas, is attributable to the warranty companies losing their butts over the extraordinarily high number of total loss (unrepairable) claims on sets sold 3~4 years ago.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page