post #241 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsantagonist View Post

i agree with gadgtman. pbmpharmacist has constantly put down samsung, on different threads, but he has only seen samsung in a store. he did not compare the new mitsubishi with the hls samsungs on the same feed at the store he saw the mitsubishi...he compared it to the older jvc. he disparages the samsung constantly without a fair comparison. i have seen bad tv feeds on most sets in stores also, however i do not constantly put down a certain model b/c i understand most feeds are crappy.
he also says now that the mitsubishi does not need calibration but the samsung does. wow...does he even understand what calibration does? i have a samsung hls-6767W sitting in a box because of the recent information about a lack of auto iris. i am interested in a comparison between the newer mitsubishi with dark detailer and the hls samsungs. i can't wait to hear about the differences and which tv will win my money.

ps money is like family to me

If you don't like my opinion, don't listen to me. All I can say is that my wife and I were in the car to go buy a Samsung HL-s6188 set from Showcase Home Entertainment and it looked so darn bad that I was sick at the prospect of buying. Sure, UMR says he can fix it but what if I can't get UMR here to calibrate it.

The Mits, to me, is at least acceptable enough in terms of the out of box settings that Joe Sixpack will find it acceptable. All HDTVs probably could use a calibration, but some are worse out of the box. The Sammys to me are really bad out of the box.

Again, if you don't care for my opinion get your own thread.

Quote:

he saw the mitsubishi...he compared it to the older jvc.

This is a flat-out lie. I compared the '07 Mits to the CURRENT Model 1080 JVC set that costs a $1,000 bucks more and both me, my wife, and the salesman though the same HD feed looked better on the Mits and the JVC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ps i don't think pbm works for mitsubishi

True dat! Why would a pharmacist work directly for Mitsubishi?
post #243 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefcef View Post

Copied from another site:

Power outages can be more than annoying. They can be dangerous to your delicate A/V components, which can suffer lost memory settings as well as physical damage caused by incorrect turn-on sequencing that may occur when utility power is restored. Protect your expensive devices by connecting them to the Monster® Uninterruptible Power Supply. Its two battery-powered AC outlets keep your home theater running when the power isn't. This UPS battery also features exclusive Monster CoolDown Technology, which automatically turns on your TV's fan to cool down your projector bulb in case of a blackout.
I took this from another site:

The Monster Uninterruptible Power Supply is more than a surge suppressor. Even when the power is on, connected components receive balanced power, thanks to its Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR). When the UPS is active, AVR senses voltage sags or a voltage overload, it automatically engages to stabilize power levels to prevent damage and compromised system performance that may occur from voltage fluctuations. This UPS battery actually ensures that the voltage your home theater components receive does not exceed or fall below safe levels.

Just wondered if anyone here has one . . . seems their life is about six years.

I just have a Tripplite surge protector. UPS isn't a bad idea though I wouldn't buy Monster brand. Ridiculously overpriced. I don't know if Monoprice carries that sort of product but most of my cables and things have come from them and they're excellent in my opinion
post #244 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI: here is a thread I started a few weeks ago to learn about 2006 models of TVs. If I was so in love with Mits why did I post weeks ago that I knew nothing about 2006 models aside from Sony, Samsung, and the HP LED model?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=684431
post #245 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 12:18 PM

Liked: 10
but you post in everyon'e thread too
post #246 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but you post in everyon'e thread too

I don't disparage other models in those threads. I just mentioned that this thread had '07 Mits info. Occasionally someone has been asking for recommendations on a TV in their own thread and I have suggested they at least look at these sets before buying a Samsung.
post #247 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Yes, they will. If your salesman doesn't, then try another one or another store or another day. You should get a deal.

Thank you. . ., with the bigger purchases, I usually offer the salesperson something less, or at the very least ask them to comp the delivery and a couple of cables.

Did you think that the extended warnt. was worth it?
They said it covered two bulbs over the four years it ran. . . just over $500.

I don't usually buy these extended warnt.
post #248 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I just have a Tripplite surge protector. UPS isn't a bad idea though I wouldn't buy Monster brand. Ridiculously overpriced. I don't know if Monoprice carries that sort of product but most of my cables and things have come from them and they're excellent in my opinion

Thanks again!

The tripplite is all that I have and I'm replacing an 11 1/2 year old 53 inch Sony XBR.
I guess our power isn't too bad.

I was hoping that our XBR would last long enough that the Samsung LED DLP television would be ready. However Ultimate Electronics told me it could be
September or October before it would be available. Can't go without the big
screen for that long!
post #249 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Your accusations are ludicrous. If you read this carefully you'll see that I'm likely to return my TV b/c of RBE.

Look at my user name, that should tell you my profession. I am Joe Consumer, I have no affiliation with anyone. A few weeks ago, Mits wasn't even on my radar. I repeatedly went into a store thinking that I was going to nab a Samsung but the noise, pixelation, etc turned me off bigtime. Check out the AVS Forum HT guys webcast from last week, they specifically talk about how bad motion looked on the NBA finals. The '07 Mits is the first DLP that I have ever seen that didn't have a ton of noise in the background.

If you don't care for my opinion, leave the thread.

You stated the Mits blows away the Sammy right out of the box. Unless you do a fair comparison - that is, have them calibrated properly - and that's not even taking into account the fact that the store could have been feeding a crappy signal - then your statements are purely subjective. And let's face it, the way you praise Mits goes over the top....remember, you've given no details as to how you made your comparison. Only to say the Mits is great and the Sammy sucks. Where's your data? What Sammy's did you look at? You still haven't answered that question.
post #250 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 02:03 PM

pbmpharmacist was nice enough to provide details in this owners thread to share his experiences and opinions on the new Mitsibushi's which many people anxiously awaiting. Now turned into my TV is better than your TV. Grow up people. Forums are an amazing source of outstanding information until they turn into what this one has turned into, people taking it personally. Opinions are not wrong, they're opinions. If you don't like the Sammy or the Mits, don't buy it. Don't waste time and space of people interested in what this post is supposed to be - owners information and insight about a brand new product - by insulting those opinions and defending another model. There is very little that is more subjective than how you think a TV looks. Get over gadgtman, he prefers the Mits, you prefer the Sammy - it's like you designed and built the Samsungs the way you are taking this.....
post #251 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjayhawk View Post

pbmpharmacist was nice enough to provide details in this owners thread to share his experiences and opinions on the new Mitsibushi's which many people anxiously awaiting. Now turned into my TV is better than your TV. Grow up people. Forums are an amazing source of outstanding information until they turn into what this one has turned into, people taking it personally. Opinions are not wrong, they're opinions. If you don't like the Sammy or the Mits, don't buy it. Don't waste time and space of people interested in what this post is supposed to be - owners information and insight about a brand new product - by insulting those opinions and defending another model. There is very little that is more subjective than how you think a TV looks. Get over gadgtman, he prefers the Mits, you prefer the Sammy - it's like you designed and built the Samsungs the way you are taking this.....

I don't prefer either - I'll be looking at the new Mits models when they are released even though I just bought a Sammy. My point is, people come here hoping to learn from other's experience, and it sucks when someone makes blanket statements based on bias and "hey, I saw a Sammy in a store and the picture sucked, so all Sammy's suck" type of comments. That's basically what he's saying.

Personally, I can't wait to see the new 65" Mits - from what I've heard, it should be fantastic, and I'll trade my Sammy in if it's a better pricture.
post #252 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:

PBM did a good job. Im surprised he is the only one to have purchased as set though. I would guess anyone following this thread and just purchasing the TV would want to let their opinions known. Maybe these new models are hard to come by.
post #253 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
rsk

Quote:

Ditto Scottjay.

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #254 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefcef View Post

Thank you. . ., with the bigger purchases, I usually offer the salesperson something less, or at the very least ask them to comp the delivery and a couple of cables.

Did you think that the extended warnt. was worth it?
They said it covered two bulbs over the four years it ran. . . just over $500.

I don't usually buy these extended warnt.

I'm not a "extended warranty kind of guy" but HDTVs are expensive and have a tendency to break so I think the warranty is a good idea. Consumer reports recommends them for RP sets. I think 2 bulbs is excellent b/c you're probably going to need those bulbs anyway so it's almost like the extended warranty is free (or at least dirt cheap). You're just paying ahead.
post #255 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. He's right, I'm just trying to help people learn about the Mits and to at least consider them as an option.
post #256 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman View Post

I don't prefer either - I'll be looking at the new Mits models when they are released even though I just bought a Sammy. My point is, people come here hoping to learn from other's experience, and it sucks when someone makes blanket statements based on bias and "hey, I saw a Sammy in a store and the picture sucked, so all Sammy's suck" type of comments. That's basically what he's saying.

Personally, I can't wait to see the new 65" Mits - from what I've heard, it should be fantastic, and I'll trade my Sammy in if it's a better pricture.

I didn't just go to one store to see the Sammy, I went to several stores watching multiple types of feeds including cable, DVDs, and direct HD feed. I just didn't care for it due to all of the noise and pixelation. Why are you even in this forum if you just bought your Sammy? Go and enjoy your Sammy and quit whining because I am of the opinion that the Mits seems better. If my opinion means nothing to you, why do you care what I saw in the thread I created? IF YOU WERE TRULY HAPPY WITH YOUR SET, YOU'D BE WATCHING IT INSTEAD OF READING ABOUT THE MITS NOW WOULDN'T YOU? JUST BY HANGING AROUND IN HERE WE CAN INFER THAT YOU ARE HAVING SOME BUYER'S REMORSE AT THE PROSPECT OF PAYING MORE FOR A TV WITH EXCESSIVE VIDEO NOISE

I really think I have been fair balanced. I said straight out that I see RBE and am having issues with that and that the shadow detail was less than impressive. Still, I think these are great sets that should be considered.
post #257 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzixter View Post

PBM did a good job. Im surprised he is the only one to have purchased as set though. I would guess anyone following this thread and just purchasing the TV would want to let their opinions known. Maybe these new models are hard to come by.

Thanks, I've done my best trying to give a fair review.
post #258 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I didn't just go to one store to see the Sammy, I went to several stores watching multiple types of feeds including cable, DVDs, and direct HD feed. I just didn't care for it due to all of the noise and pixelation. Why are you even in this forum if you just bought your Sammy? Go and enjoy your Sammy and quit whining because I am of the opinion that the Mits seems better. If my opinion means nothing to you, why do you care what I saw in the thread I created? IF YOU WERE TRULY HAPPY WITH YOUR SET, YOU'D BE WATCHING IT INSTEAD OF READING ABOUT THE MITS NOW WOULDN'T YOU? JUST BY HANGING AROUND IN HERE WE CAN INFER THAT YOU ARE HAVING SOME BUYER'S REMORSE AT THE PROSPECT OF PAYING MORE FOR A TV WITH EXCESSIVE VIDEO NOISE

I really think I have been fair balanced. I said straight out that I see RBE and am having issues with that and that the shadow detail was less than impressive. Still, I think these are great sets that should be considered.

I read all forums to learn about all TV's, just like everyone else including you (where you bash Sammy in pretty much every other thread as well by the way). We still don't know what Sammy you looked at. How can that be a fair and balanced review? That's like saying I test drove a porche and some car from Ford, and the porche blew it away. Not much to chew on there.
post #259 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 03:39 PM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman View Post

I read all forums to learn about all TV's, just like everyone else including you (where you bash Sammy in pretty much every other thread as well by the way). Your original review clearly stated that you visited ONE store and saw ONE Sammy that looked bad, then declared Mits blows away Sammy's without even telling us which one you saw, what the feed was, whether or not you or the store clerk changed any settings, etc. etc.

We still don't know what Sammy you looked at. How can that be a fair and balanced review? That's like saying I test drove a porche and some other car, and the porche blew it away. Not much to chew on there.

So you are saying the Mits is a Porche? Then what's the problem?

Sorry, sorry... I couldn't help it

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #260 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

So you are saying the Mits is a Porche? Then what's the problem?

Sorry, sorry... I couldn't help it

Walked into that one......

Does anyone know where to view the new Mits in the Boston area? Specifically, southeastern MA? I'd really like to compare it - I'm not beholden to my Sammy at all.
post #261 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

gadgtman must have reading issues. How many times did I talk about seeing the Samsung HL-S 6188 set? I stand by my statement that if you really liked your Samsung set that you'd be enjoying it instead of attacking me.

Screw it, I'm adding him to my ignore list. I don't have time to argue with people like this. Piss off gadgtman
post #262 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 05:37 PM

This thread was most informative, instructive, and amusing. Thanks to pharm for the accurate description of a new product, rijad and others for fine pic's. As a newbie both here and to HDTV in general the information was very useful. Thanks again.
post #263 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 PM

Thanks again to all of you, especially pbm, for letting me live vicariously through you who has a new HDTV already. Until I can get my hands on a WD-65831 I'm just going to have to keep reading about pbm's 731 and wishing I at least had that right now.
Thanks guys for the great pics and info!!
post #264 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 06:31 PM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauhar View Post

This thread was most informative, instructive, and amusing. Thanks to pharm for the accurate description of a new product, rijad and others for fine pic's. As a newbie both here and to HDTV in general the information was very useful. Thanks again.

This rijad fellow sounds smart, handsome and whitty...

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #265 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauhar View Post

Thanks for the kind words. I hope that the info has been helpful and will help you make an informed decision
post #266 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitterguy73 View Post

Thanks again to all of you, especially pbm, for letting me live vicariously through you who has a new HDTV already. Until I can get my hands on a WD-65831 I'm just going to have to keep reading about pbm's 731 and wishing I at least had that right now.

Sure thing! May all of your HDTV decisions be fruitful and fun
post #267 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

This rijad fellow sounds smart, handsome and whitty...

Ha HA!
post #268 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 06:34 PM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitterguy73 View Post

Totally agree, pbm has done a really good job of giving a 50% technical/detailed and 50% opinion/impressions report on the TV. I like these mixes, all tech doesn't help me (I'm not smart enough) and all opinion doesn't help cause it relies so heavily on the person reporting. But a nice mix of "it has 12 gigawatts!" and "yay, pretty pictures!" is where it's at.

I'm going to watch a movie on my 27" Wega and pretend it's a 65" HDTV, wish me luck.

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #269 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:

gadgtman must have reading issues. How many times did I talk about seeing the Samsung HL-S 6188 set? I stand by my statement that if you really liked your Samsung set that you'd be enjoying it instead of attacking me.

Screw it, I'm adding him to my ignore list. I don't have time to argue with people like this. Piss off gadgtman

On a whim while watching the Red Sox, I looked at every one of your posts. Nowhere - I REPEAT NOWHERE - in this thread until your last post do you mention the HLS6188. NOWHERE. In fact, I copied a portion of your post #25 of this thread, note the sections I highlited:

"Well, I only spent an hour or so with the TV. They didn't have a Sammy HLS set there to directly compare with. The Sony was on a HD feed that nothing else was on so it's really hard to know right now. All I know is that the SXRD had a horrible green blob problem and if that was my TV, I'd be irate. It looked like it should be in a dumpster somewhere.

The only fair comparison was the Mits with the JVC 1080p FH6197 (end of '05 model, fairly well reviewed). The JVC was on a HD feed. I watched that TV for a while and then stumbled into the Mits. I had them move the HD feed onto the Mits and I looked a good bit better to me than the JVC.

There is reason to believe that the Mits will have a better picture than the Sammy HLS. The Mits is a 12-bit while the Sammy is a 10 so there is hope that it is better. The other thing is that the Sammy (while can be calibrated really nice according to UMR) has horrible out of box settings. I didn't think the Mits looked nearly as noisy with the default settings than previous viewings of Sammy HLS sets."

So let me summarize:

You never did see an HLS. All you can say is "there is a reason to believe that the Mits will have a better picture than the Sammy HLS". Is there something else I'm missing here?
post #270 of 9416 Old 06-21-2006, 07:19 PM

Enough. This whole tizzy has served no purpose but to stink up the thread...
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page