2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2671 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I've only got a few minutes but I wanted to give my initial impressions of the 65831.

The set is on display at The Big Screen Store in Annapolis, Md. It was located in a very nice wall unit and next to the 65732 and the 57732. On the other side of the 65732 was the 60" Sony A2000 and adjacent to the Sony was the Panny 600 58" Plasma. So how does the 65831 look?

Aesthetically The set is absolutely gorgeous. Same casing as the 731/732 with beautiful high gloss black finish. The front has the Mits Diamond symbol that kind of reminded me of a Ferrari. Also there is a like a dark grey cloth that covers that speakers and runs the width of the tv. The 65731 is down right fugly next to this beauty. 10/10

High Contrast ScreenI know this a major point of interest so I'll be as concise as I can. Last years Mits Diamond models High Contrast Screens looked like a piece of removable plexiglass. The 65831 is barely ditinguishable from it's companions the 731 & 732. In other words they look the same. At first glance you cannot tell the difference between the three sets except for the different finishes.
I view this as a huge positive. One of the demo loops was a skiing piece with bright skies and lots of white snow. I saw absolutely no SSE while I did notice alittle on the other sets. They also have track lighting to highlight the furniture and two high watt bulbs were pointed directly at the 65831 but there was absolutely zero glare reflected. I was quite impressed. 10/10

I'll post more later. I will say at first I was not "totally blown away" but the more I watched the more I noticed the fine details, the three demensionality of the picture that is just not there in the other Mits or competing models. I will say that the 831 absolutely destroyed the Panny 58" on HD. Not even close. I can't wait for tomorrow when I can get this set in my own home and have proper setup. For the price this is one helluva TV.

One other thing. The 73732 absolutely rocks. The picture was every bit as good and this was without the HCS of the 73831.

John McAdams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 02:09 PM

If the cabinet is the same, I wonder if a screen swap down the line might be possible if say you got tired of the SSE on your 732? Hmmmm
post #2673 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Longshot...man you're a fast driver

So, besides the ability to fend off light reflections, did the 831 have better color saturations?
post #2674 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

See I told you guys, I was just not spreading hype.!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #2675 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

One of the demo loops was a skiing piece with bright skies and lots of white snow. I saw absolutely no SSE while I did notice alittle on the other sets.

Well, if you didn't see it on a snow scene, I'd say it's doing what has been reported it would do and THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS HOPING YOU'D REPORT . The fact that this is a production set and not a Mits line tour set is the icing on the cake.
post #2676 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM

Parasite I posted Mitsi's letter to me as to it not having a six-color wheel. Verbally they (dealer) said it would bring the cost too close to the plasmas and there would be no sales.

If you have a different story I would like to hear it. I am sure not going to buy from a marketing group that can't shoot straight with the consumer. WE vote with our money. No matter how good a product is there must be some cost/penalty for deceiving the consumer.

They may say, that they never said the 73 had new magenta, but by splashing We Have Magenta on the same link to the 73 they sure did not go out of their way to explain.

Now that it has been pointed out, they haven't clarified the point. Then add other unknowns like the spin rate etc. and one determines that other brands are more upfront. Mitis may actually be superior, but they are not endearing me right now.

I know what is, is. Truth in marketing can be a very simple affair.

If a manufacturer want my business the need to know I look at the way they conduct business. My one vote means nothing, but....
post #2677 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

The reason they havnt told you, is because there is a hush hush on the technology involved. They want to secure this technology so other manufactures cant copy it. All I can say right now is its a diffrent dlp chip and a diffrent color wheel and some additional processing that I am not allowed to talk about as of yet. However soon you will all know. I havnt steered the wrong way yet on the 831s so just trust me for now
post #2678 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 PM

I began considering the Mitsubishi 65831 as an alternative to the Sony A2000 and the Samsung 5687 after reading the posts here. Mitsubishi also seems highly regarded for its tech support and service policy. But one thing I wanted to do is to be able to use the TV for both my MAC, and for my son's games. I understand for this I will need 1080P input capability, DVI input (or HDMI converted to DVI, so if no DVI, two HDMI inputs would be desirable. Also 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan is required as well, as far as I can determine. Thought I would post here so that those with any expereince with the 65831 could chime in, or give their experiences with connecting a PC via digital input. Thanks
post #2679 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

The reason they havnt told you, is because there is a hush hush on the technology involved. They want to secure this technology so other manufactures cant copy it. All I can say right now is its a diffrent dlp chip and a diffrent color wheel and some additional processing that I am not allowed to talk about as of yet. However soon you will all know. I havnt steered the wrong way yet on the 831s so just trust me for now

Ahh..... I was wondering if there was a ggod reason behind not using or having to use the six color wheel on the 73" sets. Maybe with the 73'ers they found a better way...................................???

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #2680 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

See I told you guys, I was just not spreading hype.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parasite where is the store you work for?
post #2681 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Okay, I've only got a few minutes but I wanted to give my initial impressions of the 65831.

The set is on display at The Big Screen Store in Annapolis, Md. It was located in a very nice wall unit and next to the 65732 and the 57732. On the other side of the 65732 was the 60" Sony A2000 and adjacent to the Sony was the Panny 600 58" Plasma. So how does the 65831 look?

Aesthetically The set is absolutely gorgeous. Same casing as the 731/732 with beautiful high gloss black finish. The front has the Mits Diamond symbol that kind of reminded me of a Ferrari. Also there is a like a dark grey cloth that covers that speakers and runs the width of the tv. The 65731 is down right fugly next to this beauty. 10/10

High Contrast ScreenI know this a major point of interest so I'll be as concise as I can. Last years Mits Diamond models High Contrast Screens looked like a piece of removable plexiglass. The 65831 is barely ditinguishable from it's companions the 731 & 732. In other words they look the same. At first glance you cannot tell the difference between the three sets except for the different finishes.
I view this as a huge positive. One of the demo loops was a skiing piece with bright skies and lots of white snow. I saw absolutely no SSE while I did notice alittle on the other sets. They also have track lighting to highlight the furniture and two high watt bulbs were pointed directly at the 65831 but there was absolutely zero glare reflected. I was quite impressed. 10/10

I'll post more later. I will say at first I was not "totally blown away" but the more I watched the more I noticed the fine details, the three demensionality of the picture that is just not there in the other Mits or competing models. I will say that the 831 absolutely destroyed the Panny 58" on HD. Not even close. I can't wait for tomorrow when I can get this set in my own home and have proper setup. For the price this is one helluva TV.

One other thing. The 73732 absolutely rocks. The picture was every bit as good and this was without the HCS of the 73831.

Thanks Longshoot, I will try to get in and see one as soon as they are available in my area
post #2682 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

Check out the 65732 (0r 57732) - I watched the Sox play the Sox (White vs Red) last eve and even on tight closeups of the white uniforms & me observing from just a foot or two away I thought the SSE was hardly noticeable and not at all noticeable from my normal viewing distance (10~11 feet).

I think that some people are just more sensitive to it is all. I am in no way a "purist" but it really bugs me to see SSE. This is my first Non-CRT and Non-LCD display, so it could be the newness of the whole display that's bothering me (i.e., those already used to DLP SSE may not see the new mitsus as problematic, in fact it may be better than previous DLPs), however, since I've never had a display w/ SSE it's particularly bothersome to me.

btw, I sit 9.5' from the screen. I see SSE when I wear my glasses, but don't when I don't wear glasses...

Now I gotta go find an '831 locally to check it out in person!

Robert
post #2683 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxsons View Post

Parasite where is the store you work for?

Pm me and I will tell you
post #2684 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafster View Post

The 65831 will be up for viewing in Las Vegas at Ultimate this Saturday, I will be there. They have a 65732 set up now but the viewing area is only 7 feet away, a little too close for my tastes. I'll report after I see the 831.

Hey!!! Step away from that 65831... it's mine!
Hehehehe... just kidding...

Mine is on the way also... will be in my place by my birthday by the 13th..
just as UE promised ,said it would be at his place by the 8th.
and at mine by tues.

AWESOME.

"Teach"
Did you get the stand with yours?
I like that it sits at 17"...
post #2685 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenguru View Post

Hey!!! Step away from that 65831... it's mine!
Hehehehe... just kidding...

Mine is on the way also... will be in my place by my birthday by the 13th..
just as UE promised ,said it would be at his place by the 8th.
and at mine by tues.

AWESOME.

"Teach"
Did you get the stand with yours?
I like that it sits at 17"...

The only thing that sucks is the stand wont support my surround Reciever Pioneer VSX59TXI because its almost 10 inches tall. I would like to sell this thing and get a smaller set of seperates so they will fit.
post #2686 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Ahh..... I was wondering if there was a ggod reason behind not using or having to use the six color wheel on the 73" sets. Maybe with the 73'ers they found a better way...................................???

The secret is the new larger DLP chip in the 73".
post #2687 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

The secret is the new larger DLP chip in the 73".

there is more to it then just that.
post #2688 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMELVIN View Post

COSTCO DOESNT HAVE THE WD-65732 ON THIER WEBSITE ANYMORE?

I went to order this online today thru Costco and I can not find it. It seems they have the 52 inch model and the 57 and 65731 but I cant find the WD 65732 set. It was there a couple od days ago. Am I missing something?

thats just costco. it happens all the time. you just need to keep checking their website. 57731 was unavailable for 2 weeks and came back on last week.
post #2689 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post

I think you guys look at different TV's than I do. I've never thought Plasmas product an incredible image... it all looks pretty darn good, but I'm not bleeding out of my eyes when I see iit. Infact I think the Panny produce a sort of strange cartooney-coloring to skin tones and other objects that I noticed when I was standing up close.

I was watching HD on the $10k Pioneer Elite (model slips my mind) at CC, and it's certainly a nice TV... but for less than 1/2 the price I can get a 65" set that has a fantastic picture... this whole craze about plasmas just does not computer in my brain for both the price reason and the fact that from my limited perspective, the image has never looked astronomically better or even better than an RPTV... someone fill me in please if I'm missing something key here.

The "clayface" image you saw on the Panny is due to it being in "vivid" mode for the store display. Adjusted properly, the skin tones are realistic. As to the 1080p Pio, many have reported lower contrast than its 60" 768p sibling, though it is supposed to shine on HD sources. A top plasma makes you feel like you could reach in and grab the image inside like with an aquarium. Projected images tend to look flatter, albeit incredibly sharp and detailed with the right set. What we are hoping for is BOTH impacts from the 831, as Parasite and others have indicated.

Go Duke !
post #2690 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

"High Contrast ScreenI know this a major point of interest so I'll be as concise as I can. Last years Mits Diamond models High Contrast Screens looked like a piece of removable plexiglass. The 65831 is barely ditinguishable from it's companions the 731 & 732. In other words they look the same. At first glance you cannot tell the difference between the three sets except for the different finishes.
I view this as a huge positive. One of the demo loops was a skiing piece with bright skies and lots of white snow. I saw absolutely no SSE while I did notice alittle on the other sets. They also have track lighting to highlight the furniture and two high watt bulbs were pointed directly at the 65831 but there was absolutely zero glare reflected. I was quite impressed. 10/10"

Thank for the report. I found out my local Magnolia will be displaying the 831 on Sept 22nd, that's still a couple of weeks away unfortunately.
One thing that wasn't mentioned was if the new screen gives better shadow detail than the 732 series. I'm still not sold on DD and using the bright/brilliant/natural mode as the Iris.
post #2691 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:

I'll post more later. I will say at first I was not "totally blown away" but the more I watched the more I noticed the fine details, the three demensionality of the picture that is just not there in the other Mits or competing models. I will say that the 831 absolutely destroyed the Panny 58" on HD.

How would you compare the PQ of the 65831 to the A2000 60? I'm debating between the A2000/XBR2 and the 65831, and would love to hear any direct comparisons with this years' SXRD sets.

Thankya.

Also - Is this an inappropriate thread to ask where people are picking up their 65831s? I'd like to find it somewhere with a delayed payment option upon credit approval (like sonystyle.com does, etc.). Time value of money and all that.
post #2692 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 05:02 PM

LONGSHOT IF YOU HAD THE ROOM WOULD YOU GO FOR THE 73732 SET OR THE 65831 SET. I WOULD BE 13 FT AWAY?

Since I am unable to see these in person this is really going to make it tough, I have the room for the 73 inch set. I wondering what set has the less RBE??? PLease comment?
post #2693 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 PM

While you're comparing the 65831 to the Sony, how about a comparison to the Sammy HS-S6188W? Those are the two sets on my radar screen. The features seem similar, but how about PQ?

Thanks.
post #2694 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

The "clayface" image you saw on the Panny is due to it being in "vivid" mode for the store display. Adjusted properly, the skin tones are realistic. As to the 1080p Pio, many have reported lower contrast than its 60" 768p sibling, though it is supposed to shine on HD sources. A top plasma makes you feel like you could reach in and grab the image inside like with an aquarium. Projected images tend to look flatter, albeit incredibly sharp and detailed with the right set. What we are hoping for is BOTH impacts from the 831, as Parasite and others have indicated.

Like you said. Looking at a 5070 Pioneer plasma is as good as it gets. What allows this, besides the superior internal processing, is the screen which makes it more realistic. To me SSE is what makes a "projected" look on a TV. Eliminating SSE in "projected" TV's is the Holy Grail. You ask anyone who bought a plasma the main reason they didn't consider a DLP or LCOS and the answer is SSE. Add to this the fact the 831 doesn't have the SDE and apparently has less glare than a plasma and "voila" the reason we are like little kids at the candy store.
post #2695 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

While you're comparing the 65831 to the Sony, how about a comparison to the Sammy HS-S6188W? Those are the two sets on my radar screen. The features seem similar, but how about PQ?

Thanks.

The Sammy's have more noise than "The View". They also have a bad case of the smudgies. I think most people considering the Mitsubishi's eliminated Sammy from competiton a while ago. The A2000 is probably the most compared.
post #2696 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 PM

Can anyone please link to an image or describe the matching stand that Mitsubishi is providing for the new 73831? The "Matching Bases" feature at mistubishi's website doesn't seem to have anything for the 2007 models yet. Would it be the same as the MB73GB that is listed on some sites for the 73732? My main concern is whether there is a divider in the center that would thwart the placement of a center channel speaker (as there is in the images I've seen of some previous Mitsubishi 73" matching stands, but which does not appear to be in the MB73GB).

I've already put down some $$ at the local dealer for a 73831, and shopping for a stand is how I'm trying to distract myself while I wait...

Thanks!
post #2697 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmulator View Post

Can anyone please link to an image or describe the matching stand that Mitsubishi is providing for the new 73831? The "Matching Bases" feature at mistubishi's website doesn't seem to have anything for the 2007 models yet. Would it be the same as the MB73GB that is listed on some sites for the 73732? My main concern is whether there is a divider in the center that would thwart the placement of a center channel speaker (as there is in the images I've seen of some previous Mitsubishi 73" matching stands, but which does not appear to be in the MB73GB).

I've already put down some $$ at the local dealer for a 73831, and shopping for a stand is how I'm trying to distract myself while I wait...

Thanks!

I've seen a 73732 on the matching stand at Tweeter, and from my recollection it did not have a center divider on the shelves.

Cheers
Dan
post #2698 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 06:49 PM

PARASITE, I'm very curious as to what the "secret sauce" is for the 73" Mit's. When I saw the "it would drive up the cost" story that didn't seem to make sense. If you can put a feature in a lower end product it shouldn't be so costly that it can't be put in to a higher end product. I figured there was a technical issue w/ the 6 color wheel past the 65" mark, and I'm guessing whatever your Mits rep is telling you about must be their workaround. Here's hoping he gives you the go ahead to tell us soon.

Also thanks to everyone who answered my 1080p question.

Cheers
Dan
post #2699 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 06:56 PM

Longshot, we really need more details on the 831..... soon, please.
post #2700 of 9416 Old 09-07-2006, 06:57 PM

*I turned off the flash on my last picture. Sorry for the extended post / mediocre photos!

Saw the 57831 at Ultimate today! This TV is NICE! Longshot is right on the money. The black gloss is nice and not reflective like the Samsung or Toshiba DLPs (or even Samsung / Pioneer flat panels). The Mits screen frame is much tighter too.

They had the TV positioned on an "island" with other Mits models. Couldn't compare against other models but the sales floor was hyping it. The picture looked great! No SSE! I like the fully-illuminated remote. Mine is partially illuminated but it's nice to have the entire remote illuminate. I notice other manufacturers do not do much illumination on their remotes.

They were playing the Mitsu demo from the hard drive. I went over to the Samsung and noticed a lot of noise in their picture. I think their TVs were better last year. I was able to compare the 731 vs. A2000 again and felt the Mits represented skin tones better and also provided better shadow detail. This is important for me when I play the next-gen SPLINTER CELL or RAINBOW SIX. One of the associates brought up the Sony green blob and said that Sony extended the warranty on last year's model so they could cover this defect.

I obviously can't list price on this 57831 but it's a no-brainer. They are giving these away. Hard to believe the price. I'd say a 57" for this price is the true winner over any other TV.

For those that are on the fence, listen to LONGSHOT and PARASITE. They were dead on. Thanks for all your comments and insight. I love this Forum!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page