2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2941 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I was at a Tweeter just outside of DC yesterday checking out the A2000 and either a 731 or 732 (not sure which, as I'm interested in comparing the A2000 to the 831 and eventually the XBR2). As usual, I knew more than the Tweeter employee (he tried to at first tell me the A2000 was the XBR2 and that the 73" Mits was the 831). They did not have any 831s on display or in stock.

Anyway, I think the MSRP for the 65831 is $4199. I couldn't find the MSRP on the Mits website. Regardless, he quoted me a price much lower than that. I confirmed that the price was for the 65" model, and that it was for the 831 line. He said yes on both counts. I didn't want to order one without seeing it first (plus, I think the 65" model will be too big for my 7' viewing distance; though I am of the mind that size matters...I want big!)

Either Mits has lowered the MSRP on these, or Tweeter is selling these things at a great discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Roll View Post

FYI- Tweeter San Diego has some 65831's in today. They are selling these for quite less than MSRP. Mine is currently in transit from Walts TV in AZ though. I think I got the last one they had except floor model.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

Not forgotten. Just busy. I'll post more later tonight. Tweakings and settings totally different on 831 from 731. For example the picture in Natural mode with the HCS is dull and washed out. On brilliant it comes too life. Just the opposite on the 731. Brilliant is torch mode.

Watched Sahara last night on HD DVD via HDMI. Lots of bright desert scenes. I saw no SSE and it was clearly evident on the 731. Absolutely beautiful. Tonight I'll watch Texas/Ohio State and try the beginning of Master and Commander on upconverted dvd. This will give everyone a better idea of how the 831 handles fast action sports and dark shadow scenes.

Glad to see others getting their sets.

Longshot,
I know you are watching football today. I was wondering if you could speak to the sound quality. Is it the same as the 732? I know almost everone uses an Audio System, but I am speaking directly from the TV. The A2000 had the best sound when I compared the Sammy and the Mits against it.

As a matter of fact in one store I could barely hear the Sammy the mits was better but the A2000 was the best. It also appears the cloth speaker cover looks a little more fragile then the design on 732 would you agree?
anyways not much has been said regarding the built in sound quality, I am assuming it is because most people have a surround system. I understand this, I was just hoping the mits had put good quality speakers in, maybe even an upgrade on the 831. If you listen to the A2000 you can actually hear some surround sound effect right from the built in speakers. Anyone else who has a 831 feel free to give some feedback.

Cardinals are leading San Fran 14-7 right now, sure would be nice to have a new dlp and be watching in HD
post #2943 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

I was at a Tweeter just outside of DC yesterday checking out the A2000 and either a 731 or 732 (not sure which, as I'm interested in comparing the A2000 to the 831 and eventually the XBR2). As usual, I knew more than the Tweeter employee (he tried to at first tell me the A2000 was the XBR2 and that the 73" Mits was the 831). They did not have any 831s on display or in stock.

Anyway, I think the MSRP for the 65831 is $4199. I couldn't find the MSRP on the Mits website. Regardless, he quoted me a price much lower than that. I confirmed that the price was for the 65" model, and that it was for the 831 line. He said yes on both counts. I didn't want to order one without seeing it first (plus, I think the 65" model will be too big for my 7' viewing distance; though I am of the mind that size matters...I want big!)

Either Mits has lowered the MSRP on these, or Tweeter is selling these things at a great discount.

Tweeter is already posting a discount of $500 on their website for the 73831. I am sure if you negotiate a little more you might get another 5% or 10% knocked off of that.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #2944 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 01:59 PM

[quote=tigtiv]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeg View Post

these pics are of the side looking towards a wall of open windows and a close up of the speaker. QUOTE]

Thanks for the pics Smeeg. It looks like the speaker has a cloth cover??? Hope not...we have two cats!

it is a charcoal cloth cover. i've got three cats as well. just keep the water gun handy
post #2945 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I know one of the benefits of the LCOS technology is that it pretty much eliminates the SDE. What is SDE like on the 831? I would be about 7' from the screen. I currently have a 50" four year-old LCD Sony, and SDE does not bother me at all from 7' on that set.

post #2946 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

You Sony has more visible SDE than the 831. I don't see much of a diff in that respect between the SRXD and DLP sets that we have on display.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #2947 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

SDE is "Screen Door Effect." It's caused by the separation between pixels on plasma and LCD screens. DLP and LCOS sets do not exhibit any SDE at all, period.

However, DLP, LCD and LCOS sets that use high-gain/low contrast screens do suffer from the Silk Screen Effect (SSE.) I didn't see a significant difference between the SXRDs and the 732s as far as SSE is concerned--which is why I didn't mention it in my comparative reviews.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #2948 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post

I agree. My settings where way off. After a few adjustments the picture does look best in Natural mode. Sorry for the alarm.

One thing this set does do is it really magnifies bad feeds.

Longshot.......does that mean that SD is worse than on the A2000 or the SXRD?
post #2949 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 02:39 PM

Has anyone been able to get their TV to go into 4:3 mode for watching older TV? I haven't figured out how to do so w/ either DVDs or a TV signal.

Official OPPO BDP-83 Early Adopter--and happy I did!
I am an SVS Subhuman.
post #2950 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

SDE is "Screen Door Effect." It's caused by the separation between pixels on plasma and LCD screens. DLP and LCOS sets do not exhibit any SDE at all, period.

Good point. Now that you mention that, I do recall that information (i.e., DLP vs. LCD and SDE) from my TV research four years ago. Thanks for the reminder.

post #2951 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 03:15 PM

I have owned the 65731 for 1 week. I love this set but am experiencing something I have not seen described before. When watching football over the last 2 days, I have been seeing a very distracting artifact on close up, field-level type shots. For example, if a player is running off the field with several players in the background, and the camera pans to follow the player, the backgound of the shot contains a number of white artifacts which kind of flicker on the screen (for lack of a better description). This is also visible on referees uniforms, where the black stripes will appear to sparkle white. While watching the Jaguar-Cowboys game, sometimes the black numbers on the Jaguars uniforms will appear to be sparkling as well.

What is interesting is that these artifacts are present using cablecard and when using a Motorola cable box outputting 1080i, but are NOT present when I set the cable box to output 720P. Aside from these artifcacts, the picture is best when using cablecard and the internal tuner, so I would prefer to use that.

I am used to seeing some compression artifacts and pixelation on these type of close-up shots but this is different and very distracting.

In addition, the ESPN "bottom line" white text displays a trailing white artifact when scrolling from right to left. This also goes away if the cable box is set to 720P. I don't know if these 2 items are related, perhaps a deinterlacing issue?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Since I'm only a week in I did call the dealer and am going to have someone come out and take a look. I really hope this is correctable as I love this TV.

EDIT: I was re-searching the thread and did find one other post on this EXACT same thing, from MANNYMAN2 back around August 10th, but I am not sure what the resolution was.
post #2952 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 03:49 PM

i found a 65831 at my local tweeter for $4199 and want to know if i buy it now will i see it at amazon for $3499 next week or something i'd like that tv but don't want to overpay for it.
post #2953 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1175 View Post

i found a 65831 at my local tweeter for $4199 and want to know if i buy it now will i see it at amazon for $3499 next week or something i'd like that tv but don't want to overpay for it.

Can't speak for Tweeters, but many B&M retailers have a 30-day price match policy--although it usually only applies to local B&M retailers.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #2954 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you who have the 732 series or 831 series how are you utilizing the Dark Detailer? Is there something in the settings that the 731 doesn't have? I'm still trying to figure out what you can do manually to bring out more shadow details in dark scenes that you are unable to do on the 731. There are no 732's or 831's to look at in the whole state of california.
post #2955 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

i just bought a 65732 last night at tweeters.
i think i got a good price but would appreciate if anyone that bought this tv at tweeters can PM me the price that they paid.will get it delivered next saturday

thanks
post #2956 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1175 View Post

Tyler1175, I pre-ordered my 65831 from B&M Mitsubishi retailer and I definitely did not pay MSRP, pm me if you want to know the price i paid!

FYI: 65831 is coming home 'morrow, THANKS TO ALL for great input.
post #2957 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 04:28 PM
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy73 View Post

Tyler1175, I pre-ordered my 65831 from B&M Mitsubishi retailer and I definitely did not pay MSRP, pm me if you want to know the price i paid!

FYI: 65831 is coming home 'morrow, THANKS TO ALL for great input.

ritzy,
I'm curious what you paid for the 831, thanks for the info!

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #2958 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

For those of you who have the 732 series or 831 series how are you utilizing the Dark Detailer? Is there something in the settings that the 731 doesn't have? I'm still trying to figure out what you can do manually to bring out more shadow details in dark scenes that you are unable to do on the 731. There are no 732's or 831's to look at in the whole state of california.

Firstly, I saw both a 73732 and a 65732 yesterday in the SF Bay Area. So there are a few of those in California. 831s are another matter, there may well be none here in California yet.

The Dark Detailer, if present in the set at all, is always on. Unlike the Sony auto iris, I never caught it stepping the light intensity up or down, although I looked for it.

The Deep Field Imager, on the other hand, can be turned on and off. There is a also a Demo setting, where one half the screen shows the effect of the Deep Field Imager, and the other half does not. I spent considerable time in that mode, in order to evaluate the effect of the Deep Field Imager. I recommend having it on.

There are three auto-iris settings: Natural, Bright and Brilliant. Each lets you independently set the contrast, brightness, color intensity and color temperature (if I remember correctly--could someone who owns a 732 or 831 verify that list?) I believe all the other options are global across the three auto-iris settings. This makes it easy to configure Brilliant for bright sunlight, Bright for bright room lighting, and Natural for dim or no light situations, since all three iris modes are equally configurable (unlike the Sony Vivid/Standard/Custom triad.)

post #2959 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I disagree. Look at the 62531 mits. You can see all the black lines in between the pixels. Thats the SDE correct? On a large 720p set, SDE is noticable to me.

What's your choice today?
Follow the Rules

post #2960 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle View Post

I disagree. Look at the 62531 mits. You can see all the black lines in between the pixels. Thats the SDE correct? On a large 720p set, SDE is noticable to me.

I've never seen a rear-projection set with SDE, altough I haven't seen a Mitsu 62531.

Of course, nothing prevents a rear-projection set from being so designed that it would show SDE. It's so easy to keep SDE out of the design, that I've always assumed that any self-respecting TV manufacturer would do so. Could be wrong, I guess.

post #2961 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, they do. It is virtually undetectablewithout very close inpection and without closing down the iris on units that have it, but there are slight spaces between the elements on both. Wobulation and the limits of lens and screen resolution keep you from seeing it, and it is much less than any LCD panel. In effect you are mostly right, but to say that they dont have it at all is incorrect.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #2962 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never seen a rear-projection set with SDE, altough I haven't seen a Mitsu 62531.

Of course, nothing prevents a rear-projection set from being so designed that it would show SDE. It's so easy to keep SDE out of the design, that I've always assumed that any self-respecting TV manufacturer would do so. Could be wrong, I guess.

You simply have not looked very closely. What, BTW, is the technique that you speak of for kepping it out of a RPTV? Actually, the better designed a RPTV would be, the more likely you would be to see it as it is inherent in the display device. You can certainly overload the optics, use sloppy lenses, and low res screens and not see it...

post #2963 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Actually, they do. It is virtually undetectablewithout very close inpection and without closing down the iris on units that have it, but there are slight spaces between the elements on both. Wobulation and the limits of lens and screen resolution keep you from seeing it, and it is much less than any LCD panel. In effect you are mostly right, but to say that they dont have it at all is incorrect.

Point taken. Of course there must be some separation between the pixels, regardless of how small that may be. I was unconsciously equating "too small to be relevant" with "not present at all," which is of course not technically correct.

post #2964 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

You simply have not looked very closely. What, BTW, is the technique that you speak of for kepping it out of a RPTV? Actually, the better designed a RPTV would be, the more likely you would be to see it as it is inherent in the display device. You can certainly overload the optics, use sloppy lenses, and low res screens and not see it...

In the case of LCOS, the separation between the pixels is made to be quite small--so small as to be essentially irrelevant. That's the key distinction between LCOS and LCD, actually. Because light is reflect off of LCOS panels, but is passed through LCD panels, LCOS is not bothered by the inter-pixels gaps that must of necessity be present in LCD panels (because the driving circuitry must be present in the same substrate as the LCD pixels.)

In the case of DLP, one can of course use the optics and/or the screen to hide inter-pixel gaps. However, the fundamental difference is that there is less than a one micron gap between each DMD mirror, which enables far less gap between pixels than can currently be achived by LCD or plasma screens.

But I now realize that LCD rear projection would have to use optics and low res screens, just as you said. So I should have limited the scope of my statement to LCOS and DLP, and should not have included rear projection generally.

post #2965 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Got the 65831 delivered today.

Here are a few pics.

Almost no glare what so ever, even from a window with the shade open.

Colors are soooooo rich and bright. Very nice picture.

I do still see a little SSE, but if I sit further away (over 12 feet) I don't notice it.

Have not seen any RBE's yet after viewing Gladiator and The Fifth Element. I will try Sin City next.
LL
LL
LL
post #2966 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Someone was asking about the remotes so here ya go.
LL
LL
post #2967 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasodan View Post

Here are a few pics.

I do still see a little SSE, but if I sit further away (over 12 feet) I don't notice it.

Have not seen any RBE's yet after viewing Gladiator and The Fifth Element. I will try Sin City next.

Thanks for the pictures. I noticed that you have your center speaker sitting on top on the TV. Is it really just sitting on top of the TV with no other support? If yes, how depth is your speaker. Thanks.
post #2968 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Someone was asking about the remotes so here ya go.

Based on my memory of what I saw yesterday, the remote for the 732 and the main one for the 831 appear to be identical.

post #2969 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 06:28 PM

Just got my 732 upgrade from my 731 from BB (in my third week). I thought the 731 was fantastic (excpet for the black levels), but the 732 beats it hand down. I just watched Chronicles of Riddick and experienced that 3D feeling most of the film. WOOOHOOO!
post #2970 of 9416 Old 09-10-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Thanx..jasodan. I look foward to a review on your set. I am keeping a close eye on this exact model.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page