2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9416 Old 06-15-2006, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
returned due to RBE... PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING MITSUBISHI OR ANY DLP TVS... I will NOT REPLY. THANKS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9416 Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Cant wait for your review...congrats!!
Davido Davido likes this.
post #3 of 9416 Old 06-15-2006, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
Congradulations, highly unlikely since it got implemented 2 days ago but is it HDMI1.3?
post #4 of 9416 Old 06-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Congratulations on your new purchase. I am looking into these Mits sets but waiting for some reviews. Was the 65" available too?

Please post pics if you can. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9416 Old 06-15-2006, 10:13 PM

I wonder if it does 2 tuner PIP? I can tell from any of the data.
post #6 of 9416 Old 06-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats, pbmpharmacist!

Do you know how fast the color wheel is on the 731 series?

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My
&
post #7 of 9416 Old 06-15-2006, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

hhmmm power consumption is listed at 250 W ? isn't that a bit high? higher than the future Samsung LED?
post #8 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSPHR34K View Post

Congradulations, highly unlikely since it got implemented 2 days ago but is it HDMI1.3?

Not sure, would be nice if it had that but not a deal breaker for me
post #9 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic43 View Post

Congratulations on your new purchase. I am looking into these Mits sets but waiting for some reviews. Was the 65" available too?

Please post pics if you can. Thanks.

They only had the 57" in stock and were waiting for the 65". They got a total of 3 sets in, 1 to be used for the display.
post #10 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVBill View Post

Congrats, pbmpharmacist!

Do you know how fast the color wheel is on the 731 series?

I thought I read that they chose to go with 6 colors instead of bumping up the color wheel speed... not sure but my first HDTV so I'm seriously hoping not to have considerable RBE issues.
post #11 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek View Post

Cant wait for your review...congrats!!

I can give you initial feedback on Sat or Sun. I will not have HDTV service until Thursday the 22nd, but I do have an upscaling HDMI DVD player (Marantz DV7600) ready to try.

And, of course, there will be pictures (just be kind as I'm no better than any other Joe Blow consumer). For my first pic, I think I'll hold up a coin next to/over the side bezel to show how ridiculously thin it is around the edges (never seen anything like it! )...
post #12 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 07:11 AM

Can't wait to hear more!! Can you please confirm for me when you get time on Saturday that the PIP is the same as the WD-52xxx series (if you're familiar with them). That's a big edge for the Mitsubishi's in my opinion. They do both picture next to picture as Sony but also the traditional picture IN picture with the full screen still in place and the IN picture that you can slide across, up and down (not just four corners). Can't find them in stock yet around me. Did have one online store salesman tell me the PIP was the same but I trust these forums a lot more than any salesman!

Thanks in advance!

Scott
post #13 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

If you want to stress test the set (for RBE), I hear that watching Sin City in a darkened room is a great test. RBE would happen along the borders of extreme contrast (i.e. where black pixels are adjacent to white pixels). It is easier to see if the bright area of the screen is in motion. Please don't try this test if you don't want to learn how to see rainbows, but if you are curious like I am I'd appreciate any feedback you have on it.

My
for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My
&
post #14 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Congratulations on your purchase! I can't wait to see this set in person. I'm really interested in how the set handles regular SD material and also how the stretch modes work as my family watches a fair amount of standard cable.
post #15 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjayhawk View Post

Can't wait to hear more!! Can you please confirm for me when you get time on Saturday that the PIP is the same as the WD-52xxx series (if you're familiar with them). That's a big edge for the Mitsubishi's in my opinion. They do both picture next to picture as Sony but also the traditional picture IN picture with the full screen still in place and the IN picture that you can slide across, up and down (not just four corners). Can't find them in stock yet around me. Did have one online store salesman tell me the PIP was the same but I trust these forums a lot more than any salesman!

Thanks in advance!

Scott

I'll let you know what I find out but I'm not familiar with the previous model PIP features and I won't have HD digital cable until next Thurs. But if you remind me and I have time, I'd be happy to let you know.
post #16 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVBill View Post

If you want to stress test the set (for RBE), I hear that watching Sin City in a darkened room is a great test.

I've heard that too. My wife hated that movie so I'm not sure how excited she'd be to rent it again. But I do know that if I'm going to be bothered by RBE, I want it to happen while I can still return it so I'll consider doing that.
post #17 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Congratulations on your purchase! I can't wait to see this set in person. I'm really interested in how the set handles regular SD material and also how the stretch modes work as my family watches a fair amount of standard cable.

Well all the HDTV sets suck for SD so I'm not optimistic but really, I have no idea. The store standard feed was probably the worst I have ever seen. I bought based on the HD drive feed hooked up via HDMI. It was actually pulled off of the JVC 1080 FH6197 (?) set and it looked a lot better to me than the JVC set.
post #18 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I'll let you know what I find out but I'm not familiar with the previous model PIP features and I won't have HD digital cable until next Thurs. But if you remind me and I have time, I'd be happy to let you know.

Don't think you need to actually have multiple inputs to see how PIP works, I do appreciate the effort and will try to drop in a reminder! Thanks!
post #19 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
nice look'n TV... I like the streamlined case - finally a "smart" design - less is more!

... but for 2.5x the price of what I just bought my 2006/7 CRT based Hitachi 57F59A (I can live without 1080p since content does not even exist yet) for I'll wait another year or two until the LEDs or Laser illumination engines take hold - plus SD display on my set is great too!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #20 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Congrats...sounds like you got a great deal. I'll be watching closely since I'm seriously looking at this unit. I didn't see PIP as a feature in the specs, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Have fun with the new toy.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #21 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

I've heard that too. My wife hated that movie so I'm not sure how excited she'd be to rent it again. But I do know that if I'm going to be bothered by RBE, I want it to happen while I can still return it so I'll consider doing that.

"The Man Who Never Was" is another good movie to use. We watched "Sin City" and didn't see rainbows. My wife saw one rainbow when we watched "The Man Who Never Was".

In both cases we were using a "back light" and there was a dim light around the corner. A totally dark room isn't a good idea for other reasons.

Calibration Resources:

post #22 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

"The Man Who Never Was" is another good movie to use. We watched "Sin City" and didn't see rainbows. My wife saw one rainbow when we watched "The Man Who Never Was".

In both cases we were using a "back light" and there was a dim light around the corner. A totally dark room isn't a good idea for other reasons.

I live in AZ and the newer homes are very open and airy so there is a lot of ambient light floating around during the day. Hopefully that won't be a major issue. I'll have to check out that movie for testing purposes.

Are you using that 65k worklight from Walmart? If not, what are you using? I read that someone around here was using a light from Walmart with good results and I was considering picking it up if I knew what it was called.
post #23 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

nice look'n TV... I like the streamlined case - finally a "smart" design - less is more!!

The form factor was very impressive. It is literally the anti-SXRD in terms of form factor.
post #24 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 AM

Nice get. I would really like to hear more about this TV. I've been on the fence for quite a while trying to decide on a TV around 60". I am torn between the Samsung 61" and the upcoming Sony 60A2000.

My priorities are: Picture Quality, 1080p input, somewhat reasonable price

Do you think the picture quality on this Mitsubishi is as good as the Samsung and/or the current Sony SXRD?
post #25 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by going1080pcrazy View Post

Nice get. I would really like to hear more about this TV. I've been on the fence for quite a while trying to decide on a TV around 60". I am torn between the Samsung 61" and the upcoming Sony 60A2000.

My priorities are: Picture Quality, 1080p input, somewhat reasonable price

Do you think the picture quality on this Mitsubishi is as good as the Samsung and/or the current Sony SXRD?

Well, I only spent an hour or so with the TV. They didn't have a Sammy HLS set there to directly compare with. The Sony was on a HD feed that nothing else was on so it's really hard to know right now. All I know is that the SXRD had a horrible green blob problem and if that was my TV, I'd be irate. It looked like it should be in a dumpster somewhere.

The only fair comparison was the Mits with the JVC 1080p FH6197 (end of '05 model, fairly well reviewed). The JVC was on a HD feed. I watched that TV for a while and then stumbled into the Mits. I had them move the HD feed onto the Mits and I looked a good bit better to me than the JVC.

There is reason to believe that the Mits will have a better picture than the Sammy HLS. The Mits is a 12-bit while the Sammy is a 10 so there is hope that it is better. The other thing is that the Sammy (while can be calibrated really nice according to UMR) has horrible out of box settings. I didn't think the Mits looked nearly as noisy with the default settings than previous viewings of Sammy HLS sets.

I think the picture quality will be good. It has 2 1080p HDMI inputs (and a DVI-I for PCs, the only set that I know of that has this) and I paid less than half the price of a '06 60" Sony SXRD XBR set so I think it's a serious bargain unless it just don't have good quality and breaks (if it does, hopefully it does that within 30 days )
post #26 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 AM

Just checked out the 57" 731 at Ultimate Electronics. I spent 30 minutes comparing it to a 70" Sony Qualia SXRD, and a 61" Samsung HLS-6187. All three of these TV's look very nice running the Mitsu HD feed. The 731 is very bright. Much brighter than the SXRD, and a bit brighter than the already bright Samsung. The SXRD has a bit of a softer picture. This "softness" seems to hide the granularity that you can see in all Microdisplays a bit better than the Samsung and Mitsu. However, it can only be seen if you are standing very close (like 2-3 ft away). They are all very simliar although it seemed that the Samsung had a bit of a sparkles issue. Ive heard this can be calibrated out. Im sold on the Mitsu.
I'm cancelling my powerbuy order for the 6187, and getting the 65" Mitsu 732 when it comes out. Not because the Mitsu blows the samsung away, but I prefer the cabinet of the Mitsu to the Samsung. I really dont thing you can go wrong with any of these sets. Of course, the 70" sony is about 3x the cost at $9999.
post #27 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahjahjones View Post

Just checked out the 57" 731 at Ultimate Electronics. I spent 30 minutes comparing it to a 70" Sony Qualia SXRD, and a 61" Samsung HLS-6187. All three of these TV's look very nice running the Mitsu HD feed. The 731 is very bright. Much brighter than the SXRD, and a bit brighter than the already bright Samsung. The SXRD has a bit of a softer picture. This "softness" seems to hide the granularity that you can see in all Microdisplays a bit better than the Samsung and Mitsu. However, it can only be seen if you are standing very close (like 2-3 ft away). They are all very simliar although it seemed that the Samsung had a bit of a sparkles issue. Ive heard this can be calibrated out. Im sold on the Mitsu.
I'm cancelling my powerbuy order for the 6187, and getting the 65" Mitsu 732 when it comes out. Not because the Mitsu blows the samsung away, but I prefer the cabinet of the Mitsu to the Samsung. I really dont thing you can go wrong with any of these sets. Of course, the 70" sony is about 3x the cost at $9999.

Now we're rolling along! Glad that someone else has confirmed these sets are lookin' good. May I ask why you want the 732? I had the store bring up the Internet so I could review the differences in the models (I really wasn't prepared for this purchase, just kind of happened). I didn't see a good reason to wait and pay more for the 732 series. Anyway, just curious.
post #28 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Conned sales guy to move the JVC branded HD to the WD-57731. WOW! Jaw dropped. Colors were bright and bold, no noise (I have resisted DLP thus far due to noise), no jagged edges. The JVC HD feed was very good, of an street in Italy. Funny to see the JVC logo on the screen while we watched! Anyway, my wife and I were very impressed. I actually was thinking of buying a Sammy today but I really liked this picture better (maybe b/c it's 12-bit?). Also really liked the menu for this set...[/url]

Congratulations phmpharmacist! We're all looking forward to your evaluation.

That's good to hear about the noise. I feel certain that my old Mits DLP-62725 was about on par with the SXRD for noise reduction and hopefully the new models are just as good. Not to mention, I'm sure the Mits' picture is sharper and brighter.

My main hope now is that the Mits has surpassed the SXRD and improved in black levels. And hopefully dark scene detail is close to the SXRD, if so, I'll definitely be wanting the Mits (likely the 65732 model).

i was also surprised to see the standard price of the 57731 being $XXXX rather than the listed MSRP or $3099. One Call listed the $XXXX price and they always list the price as MSRP and to get their price you mouse over the add to cart button. Not to mention, they never list a discount on Mitsubishi products. Hopefully the other models will go down in price too.
post #29 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Congratulations phmpharmacist! We're all looking forward to your evaluation.

That's good to hear about the noise. I feel certain that my old Mits DLP-62725 was about on par with the SXRD for noise reduction and hopefully the new models are just as good. Not to mention, I'm sure the Mits' picture is sharper and brighter.

My main hope now is that the Mits has surpassed the SXRD and improved in black levels. And hopefully dark scene detail is close to the SXRD, if so, I'll definitely be wanting the Mits (likely the 65732 model).

i was also surprised to see the standard price of the 57731 being $2799 rather than the listed MSRP or $3099. One Call listed the $2799 price and they always list the price as MSRP and to get their price you mouse over the add to cart button. Not to mention, they never list a discount on Mitsubishi products. Hopefully the other models will go down in price too.

Yeah, I think it's going to be a nice set. Like the previous poster, you indicate that you want the 732 series. Any particular reason why?
post #30 of 9416 Old 06-16-2006, 12:17 PM

I wish theywould publish some more specs for it. For example, the contrast ratio is 10,000 to 1 on Samsung HLS. I wonder what it is for the new Mits. Also the wheel speed would be good to know to have a better feel that RBE is not going to be a problem. Samsung lists 14.4K RPM for their wheel. I think it has 1 fewer segmentthough.

any thoughts?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page