Guide to 1:1 Pixel Mapping for Samsung HLS Series TVs through VGA using Powerstrip - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 06-17-2006, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my HLS5087 for quite some time now and have been trying to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping sucessfully without overscan since then. Using the help of Powerstip (a shareware utility) I have successfully managed to achieve this. I will outline the steps I used here so it may serve as a guide to others.

I found a guide to eliminate overscan on the Powerstrip website teh URL for which is :
http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewtopic.php?t=2089

I'm sure that these steps can be used for a 720p TV as well but I'm only mentioning the 1080p TVs as I am familiar with them.

1. Connect the TV to the PC using a VGA cable, turn on the PC and TV and set the Source to PC.
2. Download and install the Powerstip utility from http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
3. Right-Click on the Powerstrip icon in the toolbar at the lower right hand corner of the screen and choose Display Profiles -> Configure
4. In the Display Profile window in the upper right hand quadrent change the resolution to 1920x1080 and make sure that the refresh rate is close to 60Hz.
5. Click Apply and the screen should be sized to the correct resolution supported by the TV.
6. There should be a black bar around the display area which can be removed by pressing the P.Size button on the remote.
7. In the P.Size menu that appears, it should say WIDE. Scrolling right to the last item in the menu should be the zoom icon. Press the Up direction key on this icon until the picture zooms in all the way and can zoom in no more. You will know when the screen has zoomed in fully because you will not be able to move any part of the screen using the other icons in the P.Size menu.
8. At this point the image has 1:1 pixel mapping but there are 40 or so pixels cut off from all sides. This is primarily because all projection TVs have some part of their screens that extend beyond the visible area.
9. To remove the overscan click on the Advanced Timing Options in the Display Profiles of Powerstrip.
10. Don't do any adjustment on this screen yet!
11. In the lower left hand quadrent of the screen click Custom resolutions
12. In the custom resolutions page click on the icon with the tooltip that says "Design a resolution-in-a-resolution" - This is the rightmost icon in the lower right hand quadrent above the Close and Add New Resolution button.
13. In the window that appears, carefully stretch it to fit the entire visible space on the screen. Once you're satisfied that the window covers the entire visible space of the screen, press OK on the window.
14. You will be back in the Custom Resolutions window with the Active Pixels in the upper right quadrent stating the new resolution that you picked.In my case it was 1880x1045.
15. Click on the Add New resolution button in the lower right quadrent and press OK on the resulting dialog.
16. Press Close -> Ok -> OK to get rid of the Display Options Window
17. Reboot your machine and go back into the Display Options Window in Powerstrip upon bootup.
18. In the upper right quadrent, slide the Resolution Slider to choose the custom resolution that you defined and click the Apply button.
19. The overscan should now be gone and only a few minor adjustments remain.
20. In the Display Options Window click on the Advanced Timing Options again.
21. in the Advanced Timing Options Window there are adjustment scales in the upper left quadrent(Position Size) which can be used to correctly fine tune and center the image o nthe screen.
22. Do not touch the Size buttons to increase or decrese the horizontal and vertical size - this will not give you good results. Instead either recenter the screen using the Position butons on the left or click and drag in the empty space between the two sets of Position and Size buttons to recenter the screen.
23. Once you are satisfied with the results hit the Ok button.
24. Back in the Dsiplay Options Window, click SaveAs in the lower part of the screen called Profiles and save the profile using a default or custom name.
25. You should now have a correctly sized image mapped to your TV at 1:1 pixel mapping. If the image is not centered, do not zoom in/out using the TV remote or powerstrip, instead go back and redo the resolution-in-a-resolution step to figure out the exact resolution for your tv.

Please feel free to add your input to the guide and correct any mistakes that I have made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks. I have some questions:

1. After you go through this process do you have to watch through the VGA input or can you use any input and have pixel mapping?

2. Do the settings hold after you turn power off on the TV?

TWD
post #3 of 51 Old 06-17-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

Thanks. I have some questions:

1. After you go through this process do you have to watch through the VGA input or can you use any input and have pixel mapping?

2. Do the settings hold after you turn power off on the TV?

1. This specific zoom mode is only available for the PC input. The other TV modes are mapped correctly by the TV.

2. Yes the settings hold after you power off the TV.
post #4 of 51 Old 06-18-2006, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't get a 1:1 pixel map even when following these steps, sad to say...I would like to hear more about people who've managed to get the DVI-HDMI connection working, as that would be sweet!
post #5 of 51 Old 06-19-2006, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zainag View Post

I've had my HLS5087 for quite some time now and have been trying to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping sucessfully without overscan since then. Using the help of Powerstip (a shareware utility) I have successfully managed to achieve this. I will outline the steps I used here so it may serve as a guide to others.

I found a guide to eliminate overscan on the Powerstrip website teh URL for which is :
http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewtopic.php?t=2089

I'm sure that these steps can be used for a 720p TV as well but I'm only mentioning the 1080p TVs as I am familiar with them.

1. Connect the TV to the PC using a VGA cable, turn on the PC and TV and set the Source to PC.

Strictly speaking 1:1 pixel mapping is only achievable with a digital connection.
post #6 of 51 Old 06-19-2006, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laggerific View Post

I don't get a 1:1 pixel map even when following these steps, sad to say...I would like to hear more about people who've managed to get the DVI-HDMI connection working, as that would be sweet!

Which step is not working for you?

Achieving 1:1 pixel map is as easy as zooming in all the way in PC mode.

The overscan is where the Powerstrip utility is useful.
post #7 of 51 Old 06-19-2006, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

Strictly speaking 1:1 pixel mapping is only achievable with a digital connection.

I haven't tried the DVI-HDMI connection yet but I do know that I have used a VGA cable to output to my CRT and LCD monitors for years now. I belive that its probably undiscernably close - if someone can use these steps to eliminate overscan from an HDMI connection, please let us know.
post #8 of 51 Old 06-22-2006, 09:59 PM

Hi... I tried this with my 720p set, and got the picture sized pretty nicely. However, now whenever I reboot, the Samsung set says "NOT SUPPORTED MODE" for about 30 seconds, then decides to show the picture (sized correctly). Any thoughts?

I'm timed at 1248x690, 60hz, 32 bit color depth on a Samsung HLS-4266...

Thanks!
post #9 of 51 Old 06-23-2006, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1charmedlife View Post

Hi... I tried this with my 720p set, and got the picture sized pretty nicely. However, now whenever I reboot, the Samsung set says "NOT SUPPORTED MODE" for about 30 seconds, then decides to show the picture (sized correctly). Any thoughts?

I'm timed at 1248x690, 60hz, 32 bit color depth on a Samsung HLS-4266...

Thanks!

That's odd ... I'm gonna assume that you're using windows XP and will need some more information before I can make a guess as to what could be going wrong :

- When you reboot, are up able to see the BIOS post and the Windows XP loading screen?

- Are you able to see the "blue" startup screen before you get to the desktop?

- Were you outputting video to the TV prior to following the guide? What was your resolution and refresh rate then?

- What is the fiurst thing that you see when your TV comes back after saying unsuported mode?

My first guess would be that windows initially sets your resolution/refresh rate at at unsupported mode during bootup, then when windows has finished startup and Powerstrip loads, it sets the resolution correctly which allows the TV to show the image.
post #10 of 51 Old 06-23-2006, 08:19 AM

I did zoom in all the way...but it still appears slightly fuzzy...of course this is compared to my HLN5065w with DVI.

And this is trying to test with my crappy old Radeon 9000 mobility...I'll have to check it out with DVI->VGA adapter and my awesome video card.

Although I would prefer digital, my PC would only be connected to play a few games everysooften...Prey will look so much better on my PC than 360.
post #11 of 51 Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:

I haven't tried the DVI-HDMI connection yet but I do know that I have used a VGA cable to output to my CRT and LCD monitors for years now. I belive that its probably undiscernably close - if someone can use these steps to eliminate overscan from an HDMI connection, please let us know.

I will have to give this a shot...what's different with this set vs my hln5065w is that when I plugged into the DVI there and put my PC at 1280x720 I had an overscanned but perfect picture. When I connect to my 6187w over HDMI I don't get a 1:1 by default, although I'm sure with the right timings it could totally work...I'm just not sure how to safely and efficiently test for those timings.
post #12 of 51 Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did zoom in all the way...but it still appears slightly fuzzy...of course this is compared to my HLN5065w with DVI.

And this is trying to test with my crappy old Radeon 9000 mobility...I'll have to check it out with DVI->VGA adapter and my awesome video card.

Although I would prefer digital, my PC would only be connected to play a few games everysooften...Prey will look so much better on my PC than 360.

All the new Samsung DLP TVs are wobulated by default which pretty much means that your individual pixels will never be as sharp as when viewed on an unwobulated DLP. having said that, the VGA connection itself can never be as good as a DVI-HDMI connection to the TV. I also thought that the image when outputting via HDMI was already fully zoomed in ... anyone know otherwise?
post #13 of 51 Old 06-23-2006, 06:13 PM

I hooked up my other PC to the VGA port and the picture is a little cleaner, but still far from as sharp as my hln5065w. Still playing the PC version of San Andreas at 1920x1200 at 61" with a 360 controller is pretty sweet, and the flaws of the monitor are hardly noticeable, if at all.

I wish HDMI had the ability to zoom in the TV...It would be the best of both once I got the timings down.

Still...I'm holding out hope that some in-depth info on PC->HDMI comes out in the near future.

Picture was a little dark, though...need to tune the settings a bit. Prey looked good =, but dark...then again, I was at a 45 degree angle to the screen.

I'm just glad that the Sammy can support 1920x1200 so I can easily switch back and forth between the main monitor and the TV.
post #14 of 51 Old 06-23-2006, 06:37 PM

So, on HDMI I can get a very sharp picture, but EXTREMELY overscanned if I select wide fit...no weird banding...just a perfect picture, minus the 50+ percent overscan...but perhaps there is a way to manipulate that...too bad I can't get the ATI control panel to give me the same image manipulation optionss over HDMI as I get over VGA.
post #15 of 51 Old 06-24-2006, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, on HDMI I can get a very sharp picture, but EXTREMELY overscanned if I select wide fit...no weird banding...just a perfect picture, minus the 50+ percent overscan...but perhaps there is a way to manipulate that...too bad I can't get the ATI control panel to give me the same image manipulation optionss over HDMI as I get over VGA.

Can't you use the resolution in a resolution feature of POwerstrip to have your screen fit in HDMI?

Have you tried?
post #16 of 51 Old 06-24-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Can't you use the resolution in a resolution feature of POwerstrip to have your screen fit in HDMI?

Have you tried?

I was pondering that. My main concern was that when one uses the internal tools to resize a screen to eliminate overscan it modifies the resolution, like I had 1240x700 in my hln5065w. That caused a lot of issues with games that didn't like custom resolutions like that. While I could work through most of those issues, I really don't want to deal with custom rez's anymore.

Does that powerstrip feature basically do the same thing?

Rereading the original post I see that it does...well, San Andreas looks awesome on there, so I can't complain...look forward to some Prey, once I get a wireless keyboard and mouse.
post #17 of 51 Old 06-24-2006, 09:21 PM

Zainig - yeah, I think that is what's happening. It's workable

Must say, there's not much cooler things that iTunes visualizer in full screen on this thing while listening to music. It's amazing.

However, now I'm getting "unsupported mode" and picture breakup on the tv when watching DVD on a regular DVD player using component out.

Any thoughts? Bum TV?

Irritating...
post #18 of 51 Old 06-24-2006, 09:28 PM

Nevermind! BAD cable, BAD!!

Note to self: check cables FIRST.

post #19 of 51 Old 06-26-2006, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was pondering that. My main concern was that when one uses the internal tools to resize a screen to eliminate overscan it modifies the resolution, like I had 1240x700 in my hln5065w. That caused a lot of issues with games that didn't like custom resolutions like that. While I could work through most of those issues, I really don't want to deal with custom rez's anymore.

From my experience (and this is very subjective) when one's watching movies or playing games, the actual resolution of the screen sometimes doesn't seem to matter all that much. I can see that if you're browing the web or typing up a document, it may be irritating to not have 1:1 pixel mapping as things end up looking blurry. My suggestion would be to connect the VGA output to the TV and create a standard resolution that will work with most of the games that you play- Zoom and size the image to whatever looks best and enjoy your game and soon you won't even know if you're using VGA or HDMI
post #20 of 51 Old 06-27-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:

All the new Samsung DLP TVs are wobulated by default which pretty much means that your individual pixels will never be as sharp as when viewed on an unwobulated DLP....

There are no unwobulated DLPs.
post #21 of 51 Old 06-27-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetha3 View Post

There are no unwobulated DLPs.

There are, but not in 1080p RPTV sets, and probably not in 720p RPTV sets since 2005.

I had the pleasure of spending two hours with three unwobulated DLP chips in the same front projector (Sim2) just yesterday.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 51 Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome, Thanks for the info Zainag!

Out with the old in with the new.
post #23 of 51 Old 06-27-2006, 05:13 PM

Liked: 11
I dont have a new DLP to try it (I have a 720p LCD RPTV ) but Why dont you guys use the built in overscan compensation built into the current nVidia and ATI drivers. Made my life much easier than fudgin with powerstrip like I used to.

2000 watts of power and climbing
post #24 of 51 Old 06-27-2006, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post

I dont have a new DLP to try it (I have a 720p LCD RPTV ) but Why dont you guys use the built in overscan compensation built into the current nVidia and ATI drivers. Made my life much easier than fudgin with powerstrip like I used to.

I have not been able to get the ATI catalyst overscan compensation to work correctly on my machine so I used powerstrip which worked perfectly and was a lot more flexible.
post #25 of 51 Old 06-27-2006, 07:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have not been able to get the ATI catalyst overscan compensation to work correctly on my machine so I used powerstrip which worked perfectly and was a lot more flexible.

Im not sure what you have tried with it but it only works if you enforce an HDTV standard. It has a check box on the 1280x720p60 1920x1080i60 and ( at least mine shows ) 1920x1080p60.

You have to check the box then engauge the resolution. at that point you can then press custom or what ever ( my ati box is the other computer forget the exact words ) and brings up the screen with the arrows where u shrink/expand so it fits ( its like a grey sceen over blue so when u shrink it till blue shows up around the border you know where your viewable size is ). You then accept that and it adds that custom rez to your selection.

Atleast this is how it works for the DVI/HDMI out

If you have already done this then I dunno.

2000 watts of power and climbing
post #26 of 51 Old 06-27-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post

Im not sure what you have tried with it but it only works if you enforce an HDTV standard. It has a check box on the 1280x720p60 1920x1080i60 and ( at least mine shows ) 1920x1080p60.

You have to check the box then engauge the resolution. at that point you can then press custom or what ever ( my ati box is the other computer forget the exact words ) and brings up the screen with the arrows where u shrink/expand so it fits ( its like a grey sceen over blue so when u shrink it till blue shows up around the border you know where your viewable size is ). You then accept that and it adds that custom rez to your selection.

Atleast this is how it works for the DVI/HDMI out

If you have already done this then I dunno.

Hmm...I thought I tried this with DVI/HDMI, but it never gave me the option to mess with it.

Either way, I have my VGA out at 1920x1200, and that works pretty well for what I'm doing, and it fits the screen without overscan. HDMI did weird things with the resolution and would prolly require me to use a custom res to get it all to fit on the screen...I'm not ready to go back to the custom res debacle with gaming.
post #27 of 51 Old 09-16-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread but...

does the PowerStrip software actually change settings on your TV? What does it actually do?

Thanks

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #28 of 51 Old 09-17-2006, 05:46 PM

no it configures the computer's output in great detail.
post #29 of 51 Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

OKay, after reading this,

It sounds like the powerstrip will work for HDMI as well. (Thanks to Lagcal3!!! for the heads up about this)

My issues as some are having is that I want 1920x1080 resolution, with a viewable resolution inside, so that I have no over or underscan. Have a Samsung 1080p TV, that at 1080p on HDMI, I have major overscan. I either have to drop back to 720p and use custom resolution option to get no overscan, or have overscan if I want to keep 1080p.

I am gonna try 1080p and powerstrip over HMDI after work.

OBJECTIVE: 1080p to the display, but have no overscan/underscan. I guess this is the powerstrip thing of resolution within a resolution.

"Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
post #30 of 51 Old 11-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, IT WORKS

Only trouble is: When you shift inputs from say HDMI to PC, and then back to HDMI which has the PC connected to it, the screen shifts to the left. To correct, you have to bring up powerstrip, and display profiles, and it reverts to the correct placement of the screen. Is there a way to avoid having to open powerstrip to get it to sync up with the edges, each time you shift inputs and come back to HDMI??????

Much appreciated.

"Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page