Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 12599 Old 10-06-2006, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mr Bob: You probably remember working on my Pioneer Elite 610.

But I will be "dumping my CRT RPTV." (Or at least moving it into another room.)

I'm replacing it with the 65" 1080P Panny plasma. I am sure the blacks won't be as good but it should look way cooler otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 12599 Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 PM

Liked: 14
The difference is fundamentally this:

Some people want their TV to look good when it's turned OFF.

Some people want their TV to look good when it's turned ON.

post #393 of 12599 Old 10-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post

It would seem that you have the contrast set too high if you are suffering burn in.

I said the TV is calibrated. The contrast is not set too high. It's just that the TV has been on for 8+ hours a day for 8 years. Even minor 4:3 usage with gray bars over that long a period will burn in. All CRTs burn in, even when properly calibrated. It doesn't have to burn in much to be visible if the burn-in isn't even. The usage on either side of the border between the gray bars and the image will never be quite even, and so you'll get uneven burn-in. At that point, you start being able to see the border.

The fact that you haven't personally experienced a certain problem certain does not mean it doesn't exist, especially if circumstances are not identical.

Quote:

I cant imagine keeping a TV for 8 years, as technology moves to fast.

Isn't the whole point of this thread to convince people to keep using their CRT sets for a lonnng time?
post #394 of 12599 Old 10-06-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFOOTBALL33 View Post

BUT at the very least current stuff has much more potential to improve , and if your making apurchase that you want to be around 5-10 years I cant imagine going for a CRT PTV. Just MO.

I went with CRT specifically because I wanted my set to be around in 5-10 years. CRT is a very mature, very reliable technology. With it's HDMI input there's no signal a LCD or DLP can accept that my CRT cannot.

Now, if you're talking about which one has a long-term future in the market that's a different matter entirely.

Steve
post #395 of 12599 Old 10-06-2006, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

KINGOFOOTBALL33 could be a LCD sales person............. How many footballs do you see on your LCD when a pass is thrown?
Quote:

With it's HDMI input there's no signal a LCD or DLP can accept that my CRT cannot.

Try 1080p........

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #396 of 12599 Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Im the owner of a 3 years old Philips 55pw9363 CRT.

It has worked well so far except for the image shifting problem and covergence went on it.

Lucky thing I signed up for 4 year warranty.

My questions for your guys and I apologize if it is in the wrong thread, but in the service menu, is there any way I can find out what the settings mean? I fixed overscan but some of the settings I did not touch becuase I did not know what they did.

If I list them will someone be able to tell me what they are? do?

thanks
post #397 of 12599 Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

Try 1080p........

Good one

I was actually referring to signal format, v. resolution/timing. But 1080p is a good point. Almost everyone who purchased an LCD or DLP set before this year owns a set that cannot accept a 1080p signal.

Steve
post #398 of 12599 Old 10-07-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I am amazed how my Pioneer 64 incher (non-Elite version) has come back to life!! I had it serviced for some re-soldering of one of the component input connectors (not brave enough to do it myself). While the technician was at it I asked him to clean the guns which he said he was planning on doing anyway...

The picture is now a LOT brighter and the colors are very rich. I had it relegated to news/sitcom watching as I got a DLP Optoma H78 projector last year. I did not realize how much dust buildup can dull the picture. I'll be cleaning the guns every few months from now on. I'm enjoying my tv like when I first got some 5 yrs ago.
post #399 of 12599 Old 10-07-2006, 09:45 AM

The Hitachi seems to be selling well. CC has removed all discounts.
post #400 of 12599 Old 10-07-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategicthinker View Post

The Hitachi seems to be selling well. CC has removed all discounts.

I noticed that today on the website. Bestbuy is now carring the f59's but they only list the 51 inch version.
post #401 of 12599 Old 10-07-2006, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not trying to offend anyone, but it is usually the Ladies/Wives that pick a TV based on how it looks when it is OFF! Picture quality is usually the #1 item, at times, qualified/compromised by the viewing situation and needs of the owner.

OK...

I HAD to comment here -

I just finished reading this entire thread, and I feel the same way as the rest of the CRT RPTV owners - I love my Pioneer Elite Pro 710! My husband and I were perusing the TV aisles last night than all of the " fancy" ones out there now.

In case you haven't noticed, I am female. I chose the TV (along with my hubby), and with his help designed the room around it. I like the look of my TV on, not off!
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...0/ppuser/36774
(OK, so that is a pic with it off...but you know what I mean!)

Pam
post #402 of 12599 Old 10-07-2006, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post

OK...

I HAD to comment here -

I just finished reading this entire thread, and I feel the same way as the rest of the CRT RPTV owners - I love my Pioneer Elite Pro 710! My husband and I were perusing the TV aisles last night than all of the " fancy" ones out there now.

In case you haven't noticed, I am female. I chose the TV (along with my hubby), and with his help designed the room around it. I like the look of my TV on, not off!
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...0/ppuser/36774
(OK, so that is a pic with it off...but you know what I mean!)

I commend you, your the exception I referred to by the term "usually"............ It is definitely much better when both are involved, better for the relationship too.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #403 of 12599 Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
The other day I was in BB and finally saw a chip-based set that looked better than my 5 year old Sony KP57HW40. It was a 1080p JVC LCOS set and was truly stunning. I almost ordered one then and there.

I went home and cleaned my guns, a 10 minute project and something I usually do every 6 months or so.

Turned on the set and immediately changed my mind about the JVC. The old crt Sony is just as sharp and doesn't look "digital", has better colors, and now again looks better than any microdisplay set I've seen. It's staying until I absolutely must have HDMI.

Steve S.
post #404 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 03:05 PM

I've had my Mitsubishi 65" 65819 for four years now and have done a little minor tweaking and have never opened it up and cleaned inside. Tomorrow I'm scheduled for a full professional calibration. The guy coming has an outstanding reputation and uses elaborate equipment to get the sets full potential out of it. I fully expect to fall madly in love with this set afterwards and intend to keep it for years to come.
post #405 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had a Mitubishi WS-55315 for about a year and a half now, and I absolutely love it. I'm moving to LA next month, and I wanted to pick up a second TV for the new place, and would love to get a CRT. I noticed Mits has some nice looking 2006 CRT sets, but I can't find a place that sells them anymore, even online. So I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a good CRT with an HDMI input that I can actually find to purchase. Thanks in advance for your help.

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #406 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Whan View Post

I've had my Mitsubishi 65" 65819 for four years now and have done a little minor tweaking and have never opened it up and cleaned inside. Tomorrow I'm scheduled for a full professional calibration. The guy coming has an outstanding reputation and uses elaborate equipment to get the sets full potential out of it. I fully expect to fall madly in love with this set afterwards and intend to keep it for years to come.

You're in for a huge treat. Let us know.

I really think people's attitudes would change about CRT RPTV if they've seen one fully ISF calibrated and fully tweaked by a good professional (with mirror and lenses cleaned every six months). I have a two year old Sony 57" CRT RPTV like this and could easily afford a new Sony SXRD right now, however, I have no desire for one.

post #407 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Another question: When I bought my TV, every dealer I went to said any RP CRT over 55" lost image quality because there's too much space in between the tubes. Is this true?

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #408 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 06:29 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post

Another question: When I bought my TV, every dealer I went to said any RP CRT over 55" lost image quality because there's too much space in between the tubes. Is this true?

They're nuts. Larger screens are actually easier to deal with because the side gun toe-in is less sever which eases optical focus issues (lens flapping) and side keystoning.
post #409 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Whan View Post

Consider adding a Lumagen processor to the Mits, it will definitely take it to the next level of picture accuracy. You still need the full calibration, then the calibration of each input in the Lumagen to get the full benefit.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #410 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Consider adding a Lumagen processor to the Mits, it will definitely take it to the next level of picture accuracy. You still need the full calibration, then the calibration of each input in the Lumagen to get the full benefit.

I'd love to, but my available cash for TV right now has been used up by my new HD-DVD player, quickly expanding HD-DVD collection and now the calibration. I'm also having him replace a couple of guns to correct some burn in I got a while back. He has a green and a blue so he made me a deal. A scaler may be in my future but I can't pull that one off right now.
post #411 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

They're nuts. Larger screens are actually easier to deal with because the side gun toe-in is less sever which eases optical focus issues (lens flapping) and side keystoning.

Ah, thanks.

So does anyone know of any easy to get CRT RPs at this point? The only I've been able to find is the Hitachi.

post #412 of 12599 Old 10-08-2006, 11:06 PM

Ok...Here's a question for all of you folks in the "know"

Besides being calibrated...what can be done with a Mitsu 55511 to make it outstanding...What add ons can be done...what upgrades offered...and the like...without breaking the bank in the process...It is being used with a xbox 360,H2O DTV..and a standard dvd player... right now..and once the hdvd add on is available I will be purchisng it...since it will do this over component...

I own a SXRD 60" and a Tosh XA-1KN...and have them calibrated by umr...and it is simply fantastic...so I know the value of doing this already...but...I am interested making my Mitsu more viable...and it is sorely lacking with it's component 1080i connections..So...what would you all do to make this great 55" display even better than it already is...

Mac
post #413 of 12599 Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 AM

Anyone?
post #414 of 12599 Old 10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac11700 View Post

Anyone?

Read post #409
You might want to consider lining the cabinet with black velour.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #415 of 12599 Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HI All,
I've been telling many people that the best picture quality that can be obtain from a HD display for this time being will always be CRT. It will most likely that it will take another 10-15 years before flatpanal technology catches up with the picture quality of the CRT. I have an 46" Mits RPTV, its picture quality is still better then any of those flat panels.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #416 of 12599 Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Embry View Post

HI All,
It will most likely that it will take another 10-15 years before flatpanal technology catches up with the picture quality of the CRT.

I hope it will only take the end of this year or next. SED/LED displays will be out by then.
post #417 of 12599 Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post

I've had a Mitubishi WS-55315 for about a year and a half now, and I absolutely love it. I'm moving to LA next month, and I wanted to pick up a second TV for the new place, and would love to get a CRT. I noticed Mits has some nice looking 2006 CRT sets, but I can't find a place that sells them anymore, even online. So I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a good CRT with an HDMI input that I can actually find to purchase. Thanks in advance for your help.

In the 10/8/06 LA Times the Howards insert has the Mits 55815 for i believe $1299.00. They are not showing it on there web site.
You can download this weeks add from howards

Anyone know what size guns the 55815 has?

Aaron
post #418 of 12599 Old 10-09-2006, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Mitsu 55 have the 7", the 65 has the 9" if I remember correctly.
post #419 of 12599 Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac11700 View Post

Besides being calibrated...what can be done with a Mitsu 55511 to make it outstanding...What add ons can be done...what upgrades offered...and the like...without breaking the bank in the process...It is being used with a xbox 360,H2O DTV..and a standard dvd player... right now..and once the hdvd add on is available I will be purchisng it...since it will do this over component...

Investing in one of the latest pixel-by-pixel deinterlacing and reverse 2-3 pulldown video processors (see that forum) and feeding the Mits a progressive rather than interlaced HD signal might enhance PQ. CRT RPTVs can't handle 720p/1080p like fixed-pixel displays. But CRT RPTV owners using PCs have gotten around this by converting 1080i into 540p signals, the electrical equivalent of 1080i for component inputs. That would diminish maximum vertical resolution (~800 lines for static images), but with the computer software sometimes used to set parameters (see HTPC forum) it's likely you could reduce the horizontal value somewhat and boost the vertical format setting; effective resolution (resolvable detail) from 1080i is considerably less than 1920X1080. Posts in the CRT FP forum discuss obtaining the 'sweet spot' setting for CRT displays. Using the video processor instead of a PC with flexible software settings likely requires similar flexibility with processor output settings. A processor could obviously be used with other displays, too, but reviews of the latest processor hardware suggests research is needed before buying. Just an option to consider--with no guarantees. -- John
post #420 of 12599 Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I just finish making a lens hood for my Hitachi 51" from the Toshiba 56" instructions off keohi.com.

Since these are didn't brand TVs..the Toshiba has a 5" wider screen. What type of modification I need to do to it? The metal case in both sets looks to be the same.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page