Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Newbie
 
TygerFunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I've been lurking the boards for quite some time now and I've been doing my own research on the latest tv's from crt's to plasmas. I'll be moving in a couple of weeks and have been looking around for a new t.v. I currently have a 24" Samsung crt that has lasted a long time and still kicking but it's time to upgrade.

I had my heart set on a plasma t.v and I thought I settled on the 42" panny px60. I considered the LCD and DLP projection t.v's but after finding out about the lamps I shyed away from them.

The Hitachi 57F59 has always been in the back of my head and after reading this thread my interest has increased even more so. For the price and size and what I've heard and seen, IMO it would be the best T.V for "ME" in terms of price and all around performance.

I haven't fully decided yet but I think I'm going to go for the Hitachi....but I'm still hesitant. I can probably get the 42" Plasma for almost the same price as the 57" CRT with the plasma being a few hundred more but I would give up the size. I would prefer the bigger screen as my wife and I enjoy movies and we'll be getting HD service as well. Our t.v will be in the basement with controllable light and viewing distance will be roughly 10". I don't mind that it's a "big" t.v as long as I get a good picture and will enjoy, HD, movies and the occasional video game play.

So with that being said.....Is CRT still the way to go with a budget in mind or should I sacrifice size to get newer technology?
TygerFunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

I would never wipe down the front screen unless absolutely necessary, and if at any other time ONLY with a clean, DRY terrycloth towel. Even water can get in there between the ribs of a lenticular and stay as residue.

I go in thru the front on optics cleaning procedures. Sometimes the back needs to come off, yours may be that way. NEVER remove the back from a Pioneer Elite, tho! The mirror will take a nose-dive into your screen.

Front surface mirrors should not be exposed to ammonia - as in Windex w/Ammonia D.

At your set's age, you'll probably need the deeper optics cleaning along with the cleaning you are speaking of now. You'll know more once the regular optics that you mentioned are cleaned. Sonys are always needing the deeper optics cleaning, and nobody from Sony or the store you bought it at, ever tells you that.

Before you clean them, shine a flashlight from the side at your lenses while observing from the front, if you want to see how REALLY dirty they are. Then lick your finger, so you won't scratch anything, and draw a happy face on your green lens.

Again, that will show you how dirty they really are.


Mr Bob

I have an interesting story.

My sister owns a six-year-old Sony 53" CRT RPTV 4:3 HDTV (HS10 I believe).

Her set had never been cleaned or calibrated before. The picture "glow" was unbearable at this point. She was even thinking about buying a new set.

On any rate, I opened up the back and OMG --- I've never seen so much dust literally caked on the CRTs...I mean it was like frosting on a cake. Unbelievable.

I didn't have time to do a full focus adjustment or even clean the mirror (which didn't look as bad as I thought it would have at all). But, just cleaning the CRTs and doing a convergence adjustment (first time ever done through the service menu on her set -- only Flash Focus was used before) made her set look so much better. She couldn't believe how much brighter and vibrant the image was as most of the "glow" was now gone. Next time I go up there, I'll do more, but for now that alone was a big improvement.

DavidHir is offline  
post #633 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/San Lorenzo, CA., USA
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerFunk View Post

Hey guys,

I've been lurking the boards for quite some time now and I've been doing my own research on the latest tv's from crt's to plasmas. I'll be moving in a couple of weeks and have been looking around for a new t.v. I currently have a 24" Samsung crt that has lasted a long time and still kicking but it's time to upgrade.

I had my heart set on a plasma t.v and I thought I settled on the 42" panny px60. I considered the LCD and DLP projection t.v's but after finding out about the lamps I shyed away from them.

The Hitachi 57F59 has always been in the back of my head and after reading this thread my interest has increased even more so. For the price and size and what I've heard and seen, IMO it would be the best T.V for "ME" in terms of price and all around performance.

I haven't fully decided yet but I think I'm going to go for the Hitachi....but I'm still hesitant. I can probably get the 42" Plasma for almost the same price as the 57" CRT with the plasma being a few hundred more but I would give up the size. I would prefer the bigger screen as my wife and I enjoy movies and we'll be getting HD service as well. Our t.v will be in the basement with controllable light and viewing distance will be roughly 10". I don't mind that it's a "big" t.v as long as I get a good picture and will enjoy, HD, movies and the occasional video game play.

So with that being said.....Is CRT still the way to go with a budget in mind or should I sacrifice size to get newer technology?

CRT has been capable of 1080 since day one. The affordable plasmas today are 720.

1080, whether it's i or p, has roughly twice the pixel density of 720, and thus at least half again higher resolution than 720p.

Fully calibrated and dialed in, your Hitachi will deliver a finer picture, that you can sit a lot closer to and wind up with a bigger picture to watch, than the 720p plasma you're talking about.

I know it's 720p because it doesn't have a $10,000 price tag on it, which all the brand new 1080p plasmas that I have heard of, currently have.


Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Mr Bob is offline  
post #634 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 AM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello all. I have been a member here for awhile, but not posted. I've been an avid video/audio-holic since 1983 when I purchased my first RPTV; an RCA with a really bad, dimly lit picture. But it was thrilling to watch a movie on Laserdisc and hear "surround" from a matrixed sound system.What's my point?
Well, over the last 2 years I have been looking at, comparing and purchasing a couple of LCD and plasma TVs , as well as the other DLP etc technologies. I currently have a Philips 26PF5321D in our bedroom. It replaced an earlier Westinghouse 27". I just purchased an Olevia 537H for our daughter. I like many things about all the new technologies. But..... if you are an avid film watcher or like excellent, natural detail in the picture you are viewing whether live HDTV you can't do better than to watch it on a large screen RPTV. To that end my 3 year new Hitachi 57XWX20B still provides the warm, natural, very smooth image you can watch at any distance without those tiny physical pixel boxes distracting an otherwise pleasurable viewing experience.
Now, I do enjoy the images from LCD and plasma, but from the proper distance a maker recommends. LCD displays are great for brightly lit rooms. RPTV's are not. Plasma also needs a dimmer room with current display technology. DLP and it's variants, have the closest smooth and natural display to an RPTV.
Phase700B is offline  
post #635 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I have an interesting story.

My sister owns a six-year-old Sony 53" CRT RPTV 4:3 HDTV (HS10 I believe).

Her set had never been cleaned or calibrated before. The picture "glow" was unbearable at this point. She was even thinking about buying a new set.

On any rate, I opened up the back and OMG --- I've never seen so much dust literally caked on the CRTs...I mean it was like frosting on a cake. Unbelievable.

I didn't have time to do a full focus adjustment or even clean the mirror (which didn't look as bad as I thought it would have at all). But, just cleaning the CRTs and doing a convergence adjustment (first time ever done through the service menu on her set -- only Flash Focus was used before) made her set look so much better. She couldn't believe how much brighter and vibrant the image was as most of the "glow" was now gone. Next time I go up there, I'll do more, but for now that alone was a big improvement.

Hmm...David, your story has me thinking about my 3 year old Mits 55613. I don't know how prone Mits are to dust accumulation on the CRTs.

I wonder if the front or the back is the best way to get a look at them to see how much dust is on them? BTW, how did you clean the CRTs? What kind of cloth and did you use any kind of cleaner? I have noticed of late that the picture looks a little dull.

Now, if it just didn't have about 20% overscan, from what I can tell!

mtrot is offline  
post #636 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Electone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just spent the morning cleaning my Sony KP-48S65 4x3 CRT rptv. I removed the cardboard panel and had access to the 3 picture guns. They were dusty. I blew some of the dust off of them, the used the soft bristle brush attachment of my vacuum to suck up the rest of the dust. I then gently wiped them with a soft, lint free cloth and then one final shot with the vacuum again.

I then stuck my head in the unit and noticed the mirror attached to the back panel. It was both dusty and grimey. It would be impossible to clean it from this position so I removed the back panel. It just slid out nicely and I now had complete access to the mirror. I placed the back panel in the middle of the room on the floor and gave the mirror a wipe with the dry cloth. That removed the dust but not the grime. I dampened the cloth with some glass cleaner and removed the grime. I then gave the mirror a nice buffing with another dry cloth until it was spotless and streak-free.

I got another dry cloth and gave the front screen a gently wiping from inside the tv. Replacing the back panel with the mirror was very easy. I vacuumed inside the bottom of the tv and cleaned the heavy dust off of the heat sinks.

When I turned on my tv, I immediately noticed much better contrast and color definition. Even my small convergence problem in the top-left corner was now gone! I should have done this years ago!
Electone is offline  
post #637 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Hmm...David, your story has me thinking about my 3 year old Mits 55613. I don't know how prone Mits are to dust accumulation on the CRTs.

I wonder if the front or the back is the best way to get a look at them to see how much dust is on them? BTW, how did you clean the CRTs? What kind of cloth and did you use any kind of cleaner? I have noticed of late that the picture looks a little dull.

Now, if it just didn't have about 20% overscan, from what I can tell!

I just opened up the back of the set to get to the CRTs. I was only able to use what materials she had - (non drip) Windex and paper towel. I just made sure paper towel was completely damp/wet (but not dripping) as I cleaned each CRT with a clean side of the towel each time --- I used plenty of paper towels.

On my set, I've never let them get that dusty at all (and my set is only two years old). I use a clean microfiber cloth every six months on the mirror and CRTs as this works quite well. I'm able to do this through the back of the set too. I've got long arms which pretty much enable me to reach the top of the mirror, as well...though it's not easy. I have taken off the entire front piece of the set before (screen and all), but it's a lot of work and I would only do that if I have to wet the mirror completely.

By the way, use a non-ammonia glass spray if possible --- GlassPlus works great. This is less likely to leave any streaking.

DavidHir is offline  
post #638 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Member
 
j8weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Old CRT-based Toshiba RPTV owner here. I don't know if it matters for sure, but in terms of polishing/cleaning glass, I understand that cloth might be a better choice than paper-based materials. I am told that paper-based materials can create micro-abrasions on the glass. YMMV
j8weeks is offline  
post #639 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/San Lorenzo, CA., USA
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I have an interesting story.

My sister owns a six-year-old Sony 53" CRT RPTV 4:3 HDTV (HS10 I believe).

Her set had never been cleaned or calibrated before. The picture "glow" was unbearable at this point. She was even thinking about buying a new set.

On any rate, I opened up the back and OMG --- I've never seen so much dust literally caked on the CRTs...I mean it was like frosting on a cake. Unbelievable.

I didn't have time to do a full focus adjustment or even clean the mirror (which didn't look as bad as I thought it would have at all). But, just cleaning the CRTs and doing a convergence adjustment (first time ever done through the service menu on her set -- only Flash Focus was used before) made her set look so much better. She couldn't believe how much brighter and vibrant the image was as most of the "glow" was now gone. Next time I go up there, I'll do more, but for now that alone was a big improvement.


Shine your flashlight at the mirror from the side and you'll see how dirty it is also. Make it a super-bright LCD flashlight and you'll REALLY see it. Use the back of a finger to make a small mark in it and you'll see the black beneath shine thru.

Then look into a bright picture on your set, at each lens, and with your eyes off axis from the bright picture, so you're not blinded, watch for a film of dirt that will be caking the CRT coolant cover, down below the bottom of the lens, backlighted by the bright picture on the CRTs below.

Then when you remove each lens to clean the coolant cover for that CRT, look at the back of the lens itself, hopefully again with a super-bright LCD flashlight.

There are 2 more surfaces in there per color that need cleaning right now, I have seen in on Sony's dozens of times. The transparent CRT coolant covers, and the rear, down-facing lens of each lens pack.


Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Mr Bob is offline  
post #640 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/San Lorenzo, CA., USA
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8weeks View Post

Old CRT-based Toshiba RPTV owner here. I don't know if it matters for sure, but in terms of polishing/cleaning glass, I understand that cloth might be a better choice than paper-based materials. I am told that paper-based materials can create micro-abrasions on the glass. YMMV


Anything that's abrasive on glass is even more abrasive on plastic lenses.

Paper-based products will not scratch plastic or glass when kept at least partially wet.


Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Mr Bob is offline  
post #641 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/San Lorenzo, CA., USA
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

By the way, use a non-ammonia glass spray if possible --- GlassPlus works great. This is less likely to leave any streaking.


It's also safer on front surface mirrors because it contains no ammonia. It works great, but can get down inside your lens pack and fog up internal lenses if you're not careful of that as you use it.


Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Mr Bob is offline  
post #642 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Hmm...David, your story has me thinking about my 3 year old Mits 55613. I don't know how prone Mits are to dust accumulation on the CRTs.

I wonder if the front or the back is the best way to get a look at them to see how much dust is on them? BTW, how did you clean the CRTs? What kind of cloth and did you use any kind of cleaner? I have noticed of late that the picture looks a little dull.

Now, if it just didn't have about 20% overscan, from what I can tell!

Well, I removed the trim panel over the speakers, and the cover panel under it, and you can see the CRTs with the exception of the tops of them. They extend up into another section of the TV. So I couln't get to the tops from there. I also looked in the back panel, but you couldn't see the top of the CRTs from there either.

So, I am assuming now that the screen must be removed in order to see the tops of the CRTs. But there is a caution on the trim of the screen that says, "remove relay connector before removing screen". Don't know what the relay connector even is.

mtrot is offline  
post #643 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/San Lorenzo, CA., USA
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Well, I removed the trim panel over the speakers, and the cover panel under it, and you can see the CRTs with the exception of the tops of them. They extend up into another section of the TV. So I couln't get to the tops from there. I also looked in the back panel, but you couldn't see the top of the CRTs from there either.

So, I am assuming now that the screen must be removed in order to see the tops of the CRTs. But there is a caution on the trim of the screen that says, "remove relay connector before removing screen". Don't know what the relay connector even is.


If you find wiring going from your set to your screen frame, that's what they are talking about. It is usually conn'd via an inline plug-in conn'r that you separate, so you can take the screen away and put it separate from the TV while you're working in the optical cavity.


Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Mr Bob is offline  
post #644 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
OK, well I am fairly impressed with the way Mits built this TV. I got the screen off, and there was only a slight coating of dust on the lenses, after over 3 years of use. The way this set is constructed, very little dust can get in there.

I checked the mirror with a flashlight, as Bob suggested, but the mirror was so pristine, I felt I would do more harm than good if I tried to clean it. I probably would have streaked it some.

I was able to get the dust off the lenses with damp paper towels, and dried them as well as I could. The paper towels did leave a slight coating on the lenses, but I got them as good as I could.

After the lens cleaning, I do think the picture is a bit brighter and more contrasty.

mtrot is offline  
post #645 of 12609 Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Bob,

Do all CRT RPTV have some halo'ing in dark scenes with a bright object? My set is two years old...recently cleaned the CRTs and Mirror. While blacks are super rich, I still see some halos in dark scenes. For example, I was watching "Batman Begins" on DVD tonight and they were seen. I doubt there is too much dust inside the CRT since it isn't too old.

DavidHir is offline  
post #646 of 12609 Old 12-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Newbie
 
IBDALAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with my Sony KPS7XBR10W 57 inch. The picture had a washed out Blue tone until TV warmed up and whtere was noticable arched lines in dark images. Then a couple days ago when turing on the TV the screne flashed brite blue and then flickered a couple times. It then shut off completely until I unplug it and replug it in. It then did the same thing.
I had Sony authorized service out and they codorized a conection to the blue tube and the TV will now stay on but tech said the tube needs to be replaced but it will have to go to the shop for a conformation of diagnosis and repair quote.
I have since spoken to another service person company who said the tube is discontinued and can not be ordered.
My question is what to do.
Mr Bob help.....
TV was purchased in 2000
IBDALAW is offline  
post #647 of 12609 Old 12-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chief Ediri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mr. Bob, what if it is a SD CRT RPTV? I have RCA brand SD CRT RPTV.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chief Ediri is offline  
post #648 of 12609 Old 12-03-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/San Lorenzo, CA., USA
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Bob,

Do all CRT RPTV have some halo'ing in dark scenes with a bright object? My set is two years old...recently cleaned the CRTs and Mirror. While blacks are super rich, I still see some halos in dark scenes. For example, I was watching "Batman Begins" on DVD tonight and they were seen. I doubt there is too much dust inside the CRT since it isn't too old.


Looks like you need the deeper optics cleaning as well, if you have only done the regular optics cleaning so far. It should look every bit as good as when new.


Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Mr Bob is offline  
post #649 of 12609 Old 12-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ballz2TheWallz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Bob,

Do all CRT RPTV have some halo'ing in dark scenes with a bright object? My set is two years old...recently cleaned the CRTs and Mirror. While blacks are super rich, I still see some halos in dark scenes. For example, I was watching "Batman Begins" on DVD tonight and they were seen. I doubt there is too much dust inside the CRT since it isn't too old.

Yes, they all do to an extent, no matter how deep optics cleaning is done.
Ballz2TheWallz is offline  
post #650 of 12609 Old 12-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chief Ediri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post

Yes, they all do to an extent, no matter how deep optics cleaning is done.

You have a AVSForum account?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chief Ediri is offline  
post #651 of 12609 Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mitsubishi put what they called "Tru Focus" lenses on their top of the line sets which really reduced halos. Mitsubishi, oh why have you forsaken us?
Bill is offline  
post #652 of 12609 Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Looks like you need the deeper optics cleaning as well, if you have only done the regular optics cleaning so far. It should look every bit as good as when new.


Mr Bob

The set has always done it to an extent. For some reason, I notice it a bit more now (probably because I'm looking for it).

DavidHir is offline  
post #653 of 12609 Old 12-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
marvinholland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

As the months go by, the value on our CRT RPTVs will continue to diminish. I just bought a brand new Mit 73" CRT a few days ago, and it occurred to me today that 5 years from now I won't be able to recoup ANY money on it by reselling it, because by then 1080p will be commonplace.

Resale value does count, when making a purchase. Same as you, I am glad I got such a great deal on it, so I won't feel bad when that day comes, that it's time to move on. I'll probably have to give it away, to some worthy cause.



Mr Bob

Gee Bob, at 10 years expected lifetime, that's a whopping 68 cents a day. By the way, how do I quailify for a worthy cause in 5 years

Marvin Holland
Flower Mound, Texas
marvinholland is offline  
post #654 of 12609 Old 12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chief Ediri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mr. Bob, what is the model of the CRT RPTV?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chief Ediri is offline  
post #655 of 12609 Old 12-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
marvinholland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Mitsubishi put what they called "Tru Focus" lenses on their top of the line sets which really reduced halos. Mitsubishi, oh why have you forsaken us?

A BIG amen to that!

Marvin Holland
Flower Mound, Texas
marvinholland is offline  
post #656 of 12609 Old 12-04-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/San Lorenzo, CA., USA
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinholland View Post

Gee Bob, at 10 years expected lifetime, that's a whopping 68 cents a day. By the way, how do I quailify for a worthy cause in 5 years


Well, if the new one performs as well as the old one, I will soon have a fully calibrated and expertly cared for 65" Panny available for its next owner. It's capable of doing both 720p native and 1080i native - which NO CRT newer than it can do - and has silky smooth color decoder rendition, displaying a simply stunning picture at all times.

And that will be relatively soon after the new one arrives and can be calibrated. Which unfortunately may take awhile because of the Xmas season...


Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Mr Bob is offline  
post #657 of 12609 Old 12-04-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/San Lorenzo, CA., USA
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ediri View Post

Mr. Bob, what is the model of the CRT RPTV?


WS 73517

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Mr Bob is offline  
post #658 of 12609 Old 12-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Member
 
inteller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if my Panny 47WX42 would stay dialed in I would keep it, but I've had to have the convergence adjusted so many times that I am through with it. Trying to get it out the door for half what I paid for it. I will admit though, when it is dialed in it looks great. Dunno if it looks as good as the 52LCX66 I got though.....that thing is awesome!
inteller is offline  
post #659 of 12609 Old 12-04-2006, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Bob, does it have HDMI?

DavidHir is offline  
post #660 of 12609 Old 12-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ballz2TheWallz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ediri View Post

You have a AVSForum account?

Yeah...I've been here longer then I've been at teamxbox.
Ballz2TheWallz is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off