post #991 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

You missed a killer deal on the Mitsubishi 73" WS 73517 by about 3 months. Tweeter had a few of them listed online for sale as late as Nov 2006, and they were selling them for a really good price delivered.

I was clued in my the intrepid guys here to this, and after finding out that the set they were offering was indeed NOT an LCD, as was stated on their site, hopped on it.

It is now sitting in prime viewing position in my living room, the former 65" Panny is now in the sun room.

People are dumping CRT RPTVs by the dozens out there every day for the new fixed pixel formats, surely you will find them being sold on ebay.

I know the head of service for Magnolia, and he says they are taking in 5-6 CRT RPTVs a day in place of delivered plasmas, and getting rid of them. I know the same is true of Anderson's, here in the SF Bay area.

Contact Magnolia! Or Anderson's. Tell them you'd like to take some of them off their hands!

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

At night, in a totally dark room, you won't see ANY difference in your 3d-ness, with or without a glare screen.

I respectfully disagree. I still think contrast ratio, black levels,colors-are better even in a total dark room. The deepest blacks i ever had was with a 55mits with a mirror reflective screen.
post #993 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

I respectfully disagree. I still think contrast ratio, black levels,colors-are better even in a total dark room. The deepest blacks i ever had was with a 55mits with a mirror reflective screen.

OK... I as well respectfully disagree...

I believe that if you had removed that mirror reflective screen you would have seen no difference.

Of course it could have been the coated type, which has a purple coating for non-reflectiveness. That would have deepened the blacks, which would have been unnecessary since the brightness control woulda done the same thing.

Of course it would also have changed the grayscale, as Glen mentioned.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #994 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:

Properly set, there shouldn't be any difference in CR. I would agree that there would be a slight chance of improved black level, but to see the proper dark detail, brightness would, accordingly need to be increased.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #995 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I still think it makes a big difference. The new sxrd's lack the reflective shield and if you can notice it just dont look as amazing like the Qualia and even the xbr950.
The shield makes it look like a big tube tv or big plasma. Even in bright stores they just look better and more amazing. It's also is more expensive for sony to make.

Anyways i think mitsubishi calls theirs the diamond tuned shield. No way i would take that off. I know you still get a nice image without one though.
post #996 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

Properly set, there shouldn't be any difference in CR. I would agree that there would be a slight chance of improved black level, but to see the proper dark detail, brightness would, accordingly need to be increased.

I hear what your saying. But dont think it's a problem. Just like removing the glass from a tube tv or pc monitor, what i do think is you get a more dull washed out looking image. I think the colors lose some pop and feel a shield "highlights" the colors more and gives them more pop-stability. Even the blacks get highlighted and go deeper. Hence a more 3d looking image even in the dark.
Ok i'm done now.
post #997 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear what your saying. But dont think it's a problem. Just like removing the glass from a tube tv or pc monitor, what i do think is you get a more dull washed out looking image. I think the colors lose some pop and feel a shield "highlights" the colors more and gives them more pop-stability. Even the blacks get highlighted and go deeper. Hence a more 3d looking image even in the dark.
Ok i'm done now.

And just how is this accomplished? By adding a layer of reflectivity? Anything outside of what's already there is added. CRT faces are glass, nothing is added. Plasma faces are glass, nothing is added. They are glossy by nature.

CRT RPTV faces are matte plastic by nature of being lenticular screens, a reflective shield is added to that.

Anything that is added CAN subtract or detract from the original. It can't "add" depth that wasn't there in the first place. A transparent shield can't "add" pop to the colors. It's TRANSPARENT!

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #998 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And just how is this accomplished? By adding a layer of reflectivity?

Bingo Yes light does get reflected back to the image.
post #999 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Anything that is added CAN subtract or detract from the original. It can't "add" depth that wasn't there in the first place. A transparent shield can't "add" pop to the colors. It's TRANSPARENT!

Mr Bob

What about Brightness Enhancement Films (BEF) used in LCD displays. Do any CRTs use these?
post #1000 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

And HDMI is only valuable for its upconversion value, re. HD discs. Component is NOT outdone by HDMI on CRT sets. Component/RGB is the best medium for CRT sets.

Mr Bob

I don't disagree with you here, but for some reason, despite myself and my ISF calibrator going through every single edge enhancement/sharpness (and I've checked this forum and Home Theater Spot too) value in the service menu of my Sony KP-57WS520, there is definitely more ringing visible on the Avia sharpness pattern at 480p component than 480p HDMI on my display - this has been this case with every single DVD player I've tried - including the Denon 2930 which is an outstanding player. At 480p via HDMI, there is hardly any EE on the pattern. However, at 480p component, it's very visible...especially on the vertical lines. Initially I thought it's maybe because component is revealing slightly more resolution, but I don't think that's really what's going on here. But, for "real world" viewing such as movies, etc. it's not visible too much.

I haven't been able to compare them at 1080i yet. Blu-ray Avia will be out in the spring though.

post #1001 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I don't disagree with you here, but for some reason, despite myself and my ISF calibrator going through every single edge enhancement/sharpness (and I've checked this forum and Home Theater Spot too) value in the service menu of my Sony KP-57WS520, there is definitely more ringing visible on the Avia sharpness pattern at 480p component than 480p HDMI on my display - this has been this case with every single DVD player I've tried - including the Denon 2930 which is an outstanding player. At 480p via HDMI, there is hardly any EE on the pattern. However, at 480p component, it's very visible...especially on the vertical lines. Initially I thought it's maybe because component is revealing slightly more resolution, but I don't think that's really what's going on here. But, for "real world" viewing such as movies, etc. it's not visible too much.

I haven't been able to compare them at 1080i yet. Blu-ray Avia will be out in the spring though.

This is typical with the newer displays and how they are designed. It is important to test both input formats to see which performs best. My Mits 65813 has RGBHV analog inputs, but the signal still gets processed internally to yield color and tint control, not applicable to true RGBHV signals.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #1002 of 12711 Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Mr Bob,

I have a question for you. My Pioneer 630HD has been doing something a little strange for the past week or so. Once in a while the lower third of the screen will bend to the right for a split second and return to normal. It seems to only happen when an HD (720p or 1080i) signal is displayed. The picture looks a little like this:
Code:
||||||
||||||
\\\\\\\\\\\\
when it should look like this:
Code:
||||||
||||||
||||||
Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks,
Joe
post #1003 of 12711 Old 02-20-2007, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

What about Brightness Enhancement Films (BEF) used in LCD displays. Do any CRTs use these?

If you are speaking of film layers that darken the overall pic so that the blacks are truer black, these are darkeners for use with bulb-driven devices, which if left undiminished, inherently produce pictures that are too bright to support true blacks.

CRT is a totally different, non-bulb driven tech and as such needs no darkening; it can go all the way to total black without any help, even more so than movie film can.

So no, they are not used in CRT technology.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1004 of 12711 Old 02-20-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read somewhere - was it you? - that the HDMI format has continued to get the picture better and better, while component has leveled off, with no new research going into making its picture better, since it's steadily dying the same slow evolutionary phaseout as CRT is. As such, the difference is probably more in your DVDP than in your display.

If so, then perhaps HDMI IS going to surpass component performance in CRT devices. I just haven't seen it yet, myself. My hands-on experience on this with component vs. HDMI on units I have calibrated is more than a year old, much may have changed since then.

If I experience something different from what I have experienced so far, I'll report it at my earliest opportunity. So far, of the units where both component and HDMI go to the same unit, the HDMI pic has not surpassed the component pic on CRT based units I've calibrated.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1005 of 12711 Old 02-20-2007, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiusdrow View Post

Mr Bob,

I have a question for you. My Pioneer 630HD has been doing something a little strange for the past week or so. Once in a while the lower third of the screen will bend to the right for a split second and return to normal. It seems to only happen when an HD (720p or 1080i) signal is displayed. The picture looks a little like this:
Code:
||||||
||||||
\\\\\\\\\\\\
Code:
||||||
||||||
||||||

Thanks,
Joe

Sorry, no idea.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1006 of 12711 Old 02-20-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bingo Yes light does get reflected back to the image.

Seems like that would add extra material to that which is supposed to be being displayed, reflected back from the INSIDE of the glarescreen, back onto the surface of the viewscreen.

Front surface mirrors are used in HDreadys to make sure double-imaging does not happen when the 2 surfaces of glass front mirrors - the glass image and the aluminum image - both hit the screen. On first surface mirrors, only ONE image is reflected, not 2.

Sometimes more is not better.

If this does in fact make the picture better for you, if it deepens the picture and gives the colors more pop, then more power to you and please continue to enjoy it that way. I just don't think that would work for me, from where I sit.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1007 of 12711 Old 02-20-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I read somewhere - was it you? - that the HDMI format has continued to get the picture better and better, while component has leveled off, with no new research going into making its picture better, since it's steadily dying the same slow evolutionary phaseout as CRT is. As such, the difference is probably more in your DVDP than in your display.

If so, then perhaps HDMI IS going to surpass component performance in CRT devices. I just haven't seen it yet, myself. My hands-on experience on this with component vs. HDMI on units I have calibrated is more than a year old, much may have changed since then.

If I experience something different from what I have experienced so far, I'll report it at my earliest opportunity. So far, of the units where both component and HDMI go to the same unit, the HDMI pic has not surpassed the component pic on CRT based units I've calibrated.

Mr Bob

I too have heard before that manufacturers have been putting more effort into HDMI for reasons you stated....particularly over the last 2-3 years.

I will say Sony did a nice job of implementing HDMI on my display. Once component and HDMI are fully calibrated equally, they are very, very close. Component still seems to have just a hair or maybe 1-2% better contrast and brightness - even with white and black levels set equally. The image has a bit more natural "pop" on component (despite the increased edge enhancement). I mean most people would never even notice it - and you only notice it do several A/B comparisions with an identical image or particular scene on a disc.

I have heard that DVI/HDMI was not implemented well at all on other CRT RPTVs.

post #1008 of 12711 Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Mr Bob,

Code:
||||||
||||||
\\\\\\\\\\\\
Code:
||||||
||||||
||||||

Thanks,
Joe

I've seen something like this on my sammy 32" lcd when watching time warner HD. Maybe it is a broadcast problem?
post #1009 of 12711 Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 PM
gaz

I've been reading this thread with interest. Last week my Pioneer's screen began alternating between light and dark. It did this for a couple of days and then quit. It sounds like this blue flash problem except I see no blue flashes. I called the local tv repairman and he said that the problem was probably my power supply board which would need soldering. He wanted $300 just to do the soldering. I mentioned that I could buy a replacement for roughly that price. He responded that he would solder another board as well and that I could not trust the new board from Pioneer to be good. Am I being fed a line? He would also adjust the grey scale (by naked eye) and clean the dust from the lense. His total charge would be in the neighborhood to $600 to $700. Is this in the ballpark? It sounds a bit excessive to me. Where are you Dr. Bob? I sure wish that I had known you were in the Atlanta area. I would have tried to get you over to Auburn to do my TV as well. I don't mind spending the $700 if the job is done right. I've looked at the newer models. None seem to have the picture quality that my set has. I would like to keep it if possible.

gaz
post #1010 of 12711 Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post

I've seen something like this on my sammy 32" lcd when watching time warner HD. Maybe it is a broadcast problem?

I don't think it is a broadcast issue. It happens when I'm watching HD on my HD TiVo, and if it was recorded in the broadcast, I could back up the show to repeat it. It also happens when the show is paused and in the TiVo menus. I've never seen it with an SD signal, and my only other HD source is an HD-DVD player, and I haven't used it since this phenomenon started. I'm also worried that it might be the HD TiVo.

Oddly enough it hasn't happened again since my first post about this.
post #1011 of 12711 Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 AM
gaz

Could anyone recommend the preferred settings for the Black level and Contrast level for the 710pro? I currently have them at "zero". The picture is rather dark. I would like to increase the contrast level and maybe the black level but I am afraid I will harm the set. Any suggestions?

gaz
post #1012 of 12711 Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mr Bob,

Code:
||||||
||||||
\\\\\\\\\\\\
Code:
||||||
||||||
||||||

Thanks,
Joe

Is it happening with broadcast HD or HD DVD/Blu-ray?

post #1013 of 12711 Old 02-21-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Is it happening with broadcast HD or HD DVD/Blu-ray?

I've only seen it on broadcast HD on my HD TiVo (cable signal). It is not in the broadcast, because if I back up the show and replay the segment where I saw the bending, the bending is gone. I haven't watched an HD DVD since this began.
post #1014 of 12711 Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 PM

Hiya Mr Bob, ive read aLOT of your posts and appreciate alot of your advice, got a few questions for you (and anyone else who wants to chime in)

I already have a 2 yr old Mits 65315 which id prob love to get properly calibrated, do you know anyone in the Northern NJ area youd recomend? Cause so far i havent found anyone worth a dam hehe.

Seconly, soon enough my new home theater downstairs will be ready for my "main" TV, and ive been considering the Mits with the big 9" guns for years, and have been seriously considering picking up the WS73517, which i beleive is the same one you got. So, what do you think? I never saw the post in this ginormous thread where you actually gave impressions of that beast. Since ive never actually gotten to see one working, im hoping i can rely a professional such as yourself to give a real clear review (i just hate not seeing it for myself, especially buying it that way, but theres so few left around) My last real hesitation about it brings me to my last question

What is the friggin reason why you cant view PC image on these types of TVs ? I semi-understand the progressive VS interlaced situation, except there are PC video cards that output using S-video so i didnt think that was still an issue. Plus nobody says you cant use an Xbox with these sets. But i actually spoke at some length with Mits about it, and they literally told me-the service tech was speaking directly to his service manager "dont connect your PC to it or your TV will blow up" which sounded ridiculous to me, but i couldnt get them to explain why. Yes i understand the burn in issue (easily avoided with screen savers and careful attention to how you use the PC on the TV) but cant seem to get a straight answer about it. This is actually a pretty serious issue for me since the main new TV for HT i would really prefer to be able to be used for PC as well. As it stands we also have 2 Westinghouse 37 1080P TVs which kids use for TV/PC all the time, even do split screen with TV on one side and homework/PC on other. Of course these will allow for higher resolutions than a CRT would be capable of (1920 x 1080 VS prob 640 x480 for the CRT) but i could prob survive low res setting for the 5-10 years id use this set (by then maybe id move up to a nice SED or CNTV which will be reasonaly priced by then HA!)
But really, there has to be some reason PC cant work on either the 65315 i have now, or the WS73517 that im considerin and which you have.

Really lookin forward to your reply,
Shawn
post #1015 of 12711 Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Mr Bob

On my 2005 Panasonic 47X54, the picture is noticably sharper on the HDMI feed from my Dish receiver. Have compared them over and over. Even switched from HDMI to component for a month to clue in on component performance. When I switched back and re-calibrated (amateur) and sat back to browse through my channels, I was wowed by the increase in detail.

I had recorded some of the best picture quality HD programs I've seen on Dish and watched them on both component and HDMI, on every one of them the HDMI connection was sharper and seemingly had better blacks - where the detail in shadows and on black clothing was better.

This could be a function of the equipment, I can't say. I have to say that I was surprised by the difference.
post #1016 of 12711 Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamaXV View Post

Hiya Mr Bob, ive read aLOT of your posts and appreciate alot of your advice, got a few questions for you (and anyone else who wants to chime in)

I already have a 2 yr old Mits 65315 which id prob love to get properly calibrated, do you know anyone in the Northern NJ area youd recomend? Cause so far i havent found anyone worth a dam hehe.

Seconly, soon enough my new home theater downstairs will be ready for my "main" TV, and ive been considering the Mits with the big 9" guns for years, and have been seriously considering picking up the WS73517, which i beleive is the same one you got. So, what do you think? I never saw the post in this ginormous thread where you actually gave impressions of that beast. Since ive never actually gotten to see one working, im hoping i can rely a professional such as yourself to give a real clear review (i just hate not seeing it for myself, especially buying it that way, but theres so few left around) My last real hesitation about it brings me to my last question

What is the friggin reason why you cant view PC image on these types of TVs ? I semi-understand the progressive VS interlaced situation, except there are PC video cards that output using S-video so i didnt think that was still an issue. Plus nobody says you cant use an Xbox with these sets. But i actually spoke at some length with Mits about it, and they literally told me-the service tech was speaking directly to his service manager "dont connect your PC to it or your TV will blow up" which sounded ridiculous to me, but i couldnt get them to explain why. Yes i understand the burn in issue (easily avoided with screen savers and careful attention to how you use the PC on the TV) but cant seem to get a straight answer about it. This is actually a pretty serious issue for me since the main new TV for HT i would really prefer to be able to be used for PC as well. As it stands we also have 2 Westinghouse 37 1080P TVs which kids use for TV/PC all the time, even do split screen with TV on one side and homework/PC on other. Of course these will allow for higher resolutions than a CRT would be capable of (1920 x 1080 VS prob 640 x480 for the CRT) but i could prob survive low res setting for the 5-10 years id use this set (by then maybe id move up to a nice SED or CNTV which will be reasonaly priced by then HA!)
But really, there has to be some reason PC cant work on either the 65315 i have now, or the WS73517 that im considerin and which you have.

Really lookin forward to your reply,
Shawn

My 73" has finally been serviced under warranty - it had an issue that was downright miserable. It had hum bars, in EVEEERYTHING! They would slowly run up the screen, no matter what was or was not HU'd. Drove me nuts!

The warranty tech came by yesterday and replaced the DM board, which fixed the problem. Tonight watching 24 was the first time I had had a chance to see my TV in all its glory, and for the first time I have decided that no, I WILL keep the set.

Even tho it still has another problem, one the tech had not seen before, and which will be dealt with soon as he talks with Mit about it.

He is definitely a seasoned veteran, and has my deepest respect, having talked with him for over an hour during that board replacement. Which was not easy!

Bob's the lead tech for All Video in Dublin, CA, BTW, a now highly recommended Mit warranty station (by me, anyway).

First off, the set had amazing focusing and convergence, OOB. The geometry was a bit off - the upper edge was curved and not parallel to the screenframe, so I corrected that immediately. But the focusing was absolutely excellent, have seen no need to even apply the Cantilever Technique to it. So crisp it shows the grain of the film used to shoot movies effortlessly.

The grayscale kicks ass, too. Will check it, of course, but the High setting makes everything look just fine as we speak.

The colors were the standard Mit red push, but with PerfectColor and my Accupel HD pattern generator, that was mostly corrected in short order, restoring excellent fleshtones and stunning blues - an impossible combination to come up with in a typical red pushed scenario. Needs a little more work still, but has gotten the red push out of the danger zone for the moment.

I've worked with PerfectColor before, and it can be dialed in for effectively perfect color decoding. With a scope you can see that it's not QUITE perfect, but it's so close that on viewed video your eye will never be able to tell the difference. For all essential viewing, excellent, purely natural and VERY VERY lifelike color rendition can be dialed in with PerfectColor, as long as you have the proper HD patterns to use. I'm going to say as good as my Barco Data 800 8" triple-gun pj, but that's only from memory, and from seeing VOOM HD on it back before VOOM got assimilated into Dish. I haven't got that pj set up right now. But Dish's new MPEG 4 HD makes that Mit 73517's 9" triple-gun pic absolutely sizzle with lifelike realism.

The pic is so fine on component from my Dish 622 that I don't see how it could be any better on HDMI, but will be experimenting with that sometime soon. I just got back from 9 days away doing my WA DC/Atlanta/St. Louis tour, and had an LA tour before that, plus went away for Xmas for more than a week to Oregon, then to CES for a week in January. Haven't been home much!

I really needed to have that hum bar situation handled before I could do any highly critical viewing, also. Up till yesterday I was not sure I was going to be able to live with the set. Remember, I came from a 65" Panny that is still the cat's meow on HD, IMHO. It's down in my sun room as we speak, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to part with it even with my decision to keep the new Mit.

In short, if you can get one, BUY IT! You won't be disappointed.

Can't tell you anything about the PC aspect, have not gone there. Don't see why not, tho. It certainly has the resolution for it. You shoulda seen the board they replaced. It was like its own little city in there! Several massively huge surface-mounted ICs that were 2"x2" flat packs, at least a 4 layer board...

Dynamite unit! Come over sometime, I'll show it off to you.

Same invite goes to whomever would like to stop by and see it in action. Just give me a ring and we'll set up a time.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1017 of 12711 Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Bob,

Good to hear your're getting your new set taking care of - your hum bar problem reminds me of the damned waves I was seeing in my picture due to a noisy power supply which needed to be replaced (it took me three service techs to finally convince them). I just need to get my convergence problem fixed now. So is this new Mits set resolving full 1920X1080 on the resolution patterns?

post #1018 of 12711 Old 02-22-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the invite Bob, id be over this weekend f you werent 3000 miles away hehe.

If yu wouldnt mind, id appreciate if you could look int the PCquestin more, in particular since that tech has to coe back to your house. I got such an odd response from Mits about it, and i had the guy on the phone for awhile asking and double checking and trying to clarify. Its also such an important issue for me, its neary a deal killer. Thats really the only reason ive hesitated at all with this set. Even if i do end up going with it, the resolution/PC question will determine its life in the spotlight (ill keep it for at least 10 yrs regardless, but it may get retired from the main HT at some point). From all ive learned with similar RPTV, and all my experience is with Mits, they will only do 640x480 if they do anything at all. At some point in the futue that may not be enough for my main HT. But the guys at Mits were quite adament about it not being able to be used with a PC at all. That was a direct quote from them above "it will blow up". Even if thats a ridiculous overstatement, im pretty hesitant until i find out what the heck the issues are.
So id really appreciate it if you could look into it more. Im surprised none of your customers has hit you with this question more often. It cant hurt to verify this tho as PC compatibility definately becoming more of an issue (its been one for me for years).
Also looking forward to more of your reveiws about the set, especially if you ever get around to comapring it to larger sized Plasmas and LCDs, seeing as how at least to me they are the PC comaptibility alternative (but so far ive always thought theyre regular picture cant comapre to CRT, but then ive never seen a 73 hehe)

Thanks again, enjoy that monster....im jealous~!
Shawn
post #1019 of 12711 Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I love my CRT-RPTV, but it's time to get rid of it.

It's too big.

Viewing angles suck.

Most of all, it doesn't do 720p, which makes for very tough times trying to play games on PS3. (It accepts 720p input, but downscales it to 480p).

Small text (PS3 store/web browser) is very blurry in 1080i.
post #1020 of 12711 Old 02-22-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Well, I love my CRT-RPTV, but it's time to get rid of it.

It's too big.

Viewing angles suck.

Most of all, it doesn't do 720p, which makes for very tough times trying to play games on PS3. (It accepts 720p input, but downscales it to 480p).

Small text (PS3 store/web browser) is very blurry in 1080i.

By your reasons, it looks like a 1080p plasma is your best choice.

CRT Text will never be as sharp as fixed pixel display text, however a dot will be round, not a bunch of squares.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page