Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 349 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10441 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Because when the **** hits the fan it forces you to ask yourself "Will I become a monster?". And that's not referring to a zombie. It's more about the breakdown of society and the effects it has on people more than a zombie outbreak. But the zombie special effects are amazing though too. There's also film grain. BTW the link earlier is for the DVD's not Blu-Rays.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202
You think he'd like it more in hi-def?

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #10443 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some help here....I'm confused about the HD Fury and how it works.

I have a Mits WS 55809 (55" set); bought it new in 2001. It's been (and still is) a great set... beautiful color, deep blacks, etc. I have had it repaired one time for a convergence issue (one convergence IC went bad, had both replaced at same time).

My issue is this: I've had to replace my old DVD player (did not even have component out, only S-video and RCA composite) with a new one, so went ahead and stepped up to Blu-Ray. Of course now I have 480p component out (makes huge difference!) and HDMI, which I can't use. To clarify, my set has one set of 1080i component in jacks, and 2 sets of 480i/480p jacks. I run my cable/DVR out (set at 1080i) to the 1080i in jacks, and run the BD player to the 480p in jacks. I have experimented and run the component cables from my BD player to the 1080i jacks (setting the BD output to 1080i of course) to see the difference, if any, it would make. The truth is, though I can obviously see the difference in the BD players menu on screen in 1080i resolution, I'm not sure the picture is any better than the 480p output from the BD player. And, my set does not allow the picture or screen format to be changed (standard, expand, zoom, etc.) when using the 1080i input.

So, my question to you knowledgeable folks is this: if I obtained an HD Fury II, ran HDMI out of my BD player to the Fury, hooked that up to the 480p component inputs, what would the resolution be going in to the set? Or, would the output of the Fury have to go to the 1080i input?

I have read the information available at the HD Fury website but I'm afraid it just isn't clear to me what I would be getting.

If any of you (Mr. Bob?) could clear this up for me I would be grateful. I have been seriously been considering "dumping my RPTV" for a new plasma or LED (with local dimming) set; but with a perfectly good working set that still has a great picture I'm reluctant to do so in order to take advantage of my BD player and BD movies, and I'm content with my HD channels from my cable provider.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

Ken
post #10444 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRHDTV View Post

To clarify, my set has one set of 1080i component in jacks, and 2 sets of 480i/480p jacks.

So, my question to you knowledgeable folks is this: if I obtained an HD Fury II, ran HDMI out of my BD player to the Fury, hooked that up to the 480p component inputs, what would the resolution be going in to the set? Or, would the output of the Fury have to go to the 1080i input?

In summary, you have ONE HD input available on your set. You cannot get HD into a set of inputs that will only accept a 480p (or i) signal.

You have three choices: (1) Blu ray in HD, (2) Cable in HD. Or (3) get some more hardware (which probably means spending some more money).

First you need an HD Fury (or similar, such as ViewHD). Then get an HDMI switch to "split" your one HD input into more ports, or a new AVR to do the same thing (an AVR with HDMI switching built in).

You have multiple HD sources and only one input. You need a splitter of some sort, or you need to choose which one you want in HD. Those are your only options.
post #10445 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

I just looked at the trailer. It's a zombie series. Not really into that. Why again would I want to see one of these shows?

b

Because you can watch the zombies lining up to buy LCDs?
post #10446 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

You have multiple HD sources and only one input. You need a splitter of some sort, or you need to choose which one you want in HD. Those are your only options.

Adding to Kalani's points: The HDfury3 allows you to connect 2 simultaneous HDMI inputs going to a single component out. You can then select A or B or AUTO on the fury. For 2 HD sources, AUTO works great as long as you're aware of the 'power on' order for the devices (usually FIFO).

Hth

KS
post #10447 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksubrama View Post

Adding to Kalani's points: The HDfury3 allows you to connect 2 simultaneous HDMI inputs going to a single component out. You can then select A or B or AUTO on the fury. For 2 HD sources, AUTO works great as long as you're aware of the 'power on' order for the devices (usually FIFO).

Hth

KS

So the output of the Fury is 1080 HD and must go into the 1080i input on my set; the 480i/p inputs will only "read" or accept 480i/p.

Thanks for the replys guys, I appreciate it. For me this is not a good thing, because as I stated in my OP my set does not allow me to control the format of that input, and that might not be acceptable to me for some movies depending on the screen aspect they were shot in. Unless there is a service menu override I can activate, which I'm not aware of, then I am better off using the component input of my set for my BD player, and that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Thanks again!

Ken
post #10448 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I just looked at the trailer. It's a zombie series. Not really into that. Why again would I want to see one of these shows?

I thought the same thing. Then I started with season 1 episode 1. It's surprisingly good. None of us has any interest in convincing you. Watch it or don't, but don't condemn it out of hand for being a zombie series. Do not jump into the middle. Start at the beginning.
post #10449 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

So the output of the Fury is 1080 HD and must go into the 1080i input on my set; the 480i/p inputs will only "read" or accept 480i/p. Unless there is a service menu override I can activate, which I'm not aware of, then I am better off using the component input of my set for my BD player, and that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Thanks again!

Does your TV have an RGB (computer-style VGA) input? If so, you can plug the Fury into that instead of into the component input.
post #10450 of 12492 Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

So the output of the Fury is 1080 HD and must go into the 1080i input on my set; the 480i/p inputs will only "read" or accept 480i/p.

Thanks for the replys guys, I appreciate it. For me this is not a good thing, because as I stated in my OP my set does not allow me to control the format of that input, and that might not be acceptable to me for some movies depending on the screen aspect they were shot in. Unless there is a service menu override I can activate, which I'm not aware of, then I am better off using the component input of my set for my BD player, and that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Thanks again!

Almost every BD player, and almost every HD cable box ever made, has a way to lock the output resolution at 1080i permanently (even over HDMI). That's how everyone here is doing it (with the possible exception of Mr Bob's crazy 720p-capable Panasonic TV). The HD Fury does not change the resolution of the input signal, you control that from the device (BD player, cable box, etc)

Then the TV only deals with the one input resolution on the component 1080i input.
post #10451 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 01:03 AM

Liked: 20
I believe the HDFURY3 has dip switches to allow setting output to 1080i. See their website for details...............works great for me.
post #10452 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 AM

So those earlier sets really won't take 1080i through the first 2 component inputs? I can't imagine what kind of cost cutting logic there could be in that (like with the severe overscan problem :-)). That's happens though, and it's still probably a good set (I remember having to turn down a free WS55807 last year because it would not fit into our vehicle and we lived too far away from the person for it to be dropped off locally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

Because when the **** hits the fan it forces you to ask yourself "Will I become a monster?". And that's not referring to a zombie. It's more about the breakdown of society and the effects it has on people more than a zombie outbreak. But the zombie special effects are amazing though too. There's also film grain. BTW the link earlier is for the DVD's not Blu-Rays.

Exactly. It's not a lighthearted "chickflic" like ZombieLand. Like "Fringe", there are a few nuggets of comedy mixed in, but it's mostly a "there's only two options right now: a bad choice or another bad choice, which one do I pick?" type of thing.

The walkers aren't even always the biggest threat, they're just a sort of "frosting" for the different situations.

Quote:

b

Because they're the best series on television right now. I always make sure to keep up with them every week.

- 2B
post #10453 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The first season was only 8 episodes and had twice the budget as the second season and mislead everyone to believe that the 2nd season was going to be as action packed. 2nd season is more of Talking Dead than actual Walking, which is evidence of the smaller budget. Quite boring and doesn't leave you really caring. Now, if Shane would just shoot the "stupid crybaby" people and go on his own, that would make the 2nd season interesting. IMO of course.

Cool Beans.
post #10454 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 AM

I'm not into horror or zombies either. That said, I loathe police procedurals, medical shows, and lawyer shows. Doesn't leave me with a lot to watch on TV, so I gave Walking Dead and American Horror Story a shot because they were different.

The Walking Dead is kinda similar to Lost in that the show is more about characters and asking the audience 'what would you do?' than it is about zombies or trying to be rescued from a remote island. For that reason alone I'd recommend trying it Mr. Bob. Watch the pilot and see if you can't resist watching the next episode.

And yeah, second season is way more talking heads than zombie attacks, but it's not like it's bad dialogue from bad actors. Again, similar to Lost.

Finally, I do believe TWD is shot on film, a rarity for TV these days. Only other shows I know still shooting on film are Castle, Glee, American Horror Story, and 30 Rock. So again, something different to check out picture quality with.
post #10455 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post

I'm not into horror or zombies either. That said, I loathe police procedurals, medical shows, and lawyer shows. Doesn't leave me with a lot to watch on TV...

Well, I certainly agree with you on that. I absolutely can't understand my girlfriend's fascination with NCIS, which she watches in all of its geographical incarnations. Actually, America's fascination with autopsies would make an interesting cultural study.

My vote for best TV series goes to two Showtime series... Homeland, and the Borgias.

Homeland, based on an Israeli television series, but set here, is one of the best made and most exciting television shows I've ever seen. Amazingly tense, with terrific acting all around. The Borgias, although historically based, is incredible drama, with a cast led by Jeremy Irons.

The second season of both is upcoming, but if you have On-Demand you can see the first season.
post #10456 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

I thought the same thing. Then I started with season 1 episode 1. It's surprisingly good. None of us has any interest in convincing you. Watch it or don't, but don't condemn it out of hand for being a zombie series. Do not jump into the middle. Start at the beginning.

Thanks, good advice. Not that I have judgments any more than I judge gays because I am not gay - I don't judge them, I have lots of gay friends and my own brother is gay - it's just that I have very limited time and can't take on new series' without a definite burning desire to. This happened for 24, couldn't stay away once hooked. It also happened for Gray's Anatomy but fell away as the years went by, now I am deleting more eps than I watch, just to keep space available on the hard drive...

If I had that kind of time my glass mirror would have already been installed in my Mit, but it still has the mylar just because of this constant time crunch I am constantly feeling. Perhaps being involved in relationships with the opposite sex is just not worth it because a lot of my time seems to go there.

NOT... Gonna keep the relationships, the series' will have to wait...!

The special effects are indeed good, saw that from the trailer. Will consider it if I ever get ahead enough, in my time availabilities...

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #10457 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again!

The Mit WS 55809 has 2 inputs good up to 480p, and 1 input good for 1080i. Which is simply its switching complement, says nothing about its capacity for greatness.

Don't give up that fantastic set! I have supertweaked many of them, for jaw dropping results. The fact that 1080i offers you no aspect ratio control is not worth the downgrade to watching everything in 480p. Many sets offer no aspect ratio control in 1080i or 480p, only in 480i!

If you can't see the difference between 480p and 1080i, then either you're sitting more than 15' away, or your set needs my calibration process, and I guaranty you, at that point you will see the difference. Especially at 7', which is where you'll be free to be sitting from your set, eyes to screen, after my calibration process.

See page 260 of this thread to see what your 1080i picture CAN be looking like, with the touch of my loving hands. No 480p no matter how well tweaked can match the fidelity of those 1080i screenshots of the Maybelline commercial.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=260

Simply get yourself a 4 in/1 out triple RCA push button switch capable of component grade shielding inside. Radio Shack makes one that's just fine, even their composite/audio RCA switchers have videophile grade shielding inside, better than the best component cables can deflower. I have used the RS ones on my Mit and it's videophile grade performance switching for $30.

Or you can get yourself a remote controlled switcher that does the same thing at www.monoprice.com for under $100.

That's all it takes to feed whatever you have that outputs 1080i into your one available 1080i input. Audio goes into your AVR, so does not need to be part of this switching.

You can find component grade switchers for more $ out there, but the primary consideration in switchers is the isolation and shielding of the signal, so there is no ingress noise from the outside, nor any crosstalk between sources input into it. The passive switchers I have mentioned here do that superbly and can be used either for composite or component. Aside from possibly the monoprice one, which I have not installed and as such cannot really comment on. But I doubt there will be any problem once installed. Many owners here have recommended them.

You don't need a Fury for this purpose. A Fury is great for its designed purpose, but that purpose does not include any up or down conversions in terms of scanrates. ONLY for conversion of HDMI to component or RGB.

On our sets all we need it for is taking the upconversion of 480i to 1080i performed inside a bluray player before it ever leaves the player and converting it from its output of 1080i HDMI at your player to the input of component or RGB at your display. If you don't have a regular DVD library and you have adequate switching capacities, you don't need an HD Fury I, II or III (III is the only model at this time that provides HDMI switching).

We don't need it for true bluray content, played from bluray discs. Component is all that should be used in such hookups, HDMI is potentially very invasive as a format and should be avoided as much as possible. HDMI and all its potential handshake and picture displacement issues can be totally avoided simply by avoiding HDMI.

HDMI is an encoding/decoding process designed specifically to make video piracy impossible, and never existed before HD came along, an all-digital format that suffers absolutely no resolution loss even with endless copy generations. So for preventing such copies from flooding the market and decimating the profits/eventual very existence of entire movie industries, yes it has a valid place in our home theater paradigm. Tho I don't like the limitations the HDCP engenders, I can't fault its need to exist.

But it is not our friend, when it comes to 1080i. It needs to be there for 1080p to do its best job, but not for 1080i, so we really have no use for it. For CRT/1080i it is just in the way and should be avoided.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10458 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... We don't need it for true bluray content, played from bluray discs. Component is all that should be used in such hookups, HDMI is potentially very invasive as a format and should be avoided as much as possible. HDMI and all its potential handshake and picture displacement issues can be totally avoided simply by avoiding HDMI. HDMI is not our friend, when it comes to 1080i. It needs to be there for 1080p to do its best job, but not for 1080i, so we really have no use for it. For CRT/1080i it is just in the way and should be avoided.

So, Bob. Are you saying that I should not connect a Blu-Ray player to the DVI port on my 65813?!!!
post #10459 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would not say "should not" in your case. When DVI/HDMI works well, it's fine to use.

But in general, what I would say is: you don't need to. Not unless you need to for more switching options, or for upconverting regular DVDs to 1080i.

Your set is not fraught with HDMI-imposed bandwidth issues like my much later model is, so you can use it if you wish, there will be no problem using it on your set. You just don't need to. You have component.

I don't use mine because of the mulching-up that its HDMI does to my picture. Mit did well with DVI, but completely lost their edge when it came to HDMI the following year and from then on. If you had a Mit HDMI-equipped set, then I would say no, you "should not" use it! And if you saw the difference between Mit HDMI and Mit component, you wouldn't even ask!

Luckily, component never changed. It has stayed par excellence in all Mit HDreadys. No worries when you're using component.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10460 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks for all of the info and your insights into my Mits issue, Bob, as well as the other guys who have responded. I had already thought of and will continue to consider a switcher for my cable/DVR box and BD player into my one 1080i input. That still doesn't get me past the aspect ratio control issue, and unlike many people/videophiles I don't have this need to watch/play a movie on my set at the ratio it was shot at, and in some cases doing so can cut off subtitles on some movies with foreign language in parts of the film. Although I will watch some films with the black bars at the top and bottom, I generally prefer to expand the video to fill the screen if it's not [b]too[b] much of a "stretch", if you'll forgive the pun. On my Mits the expand format raises the picture on top and bottom and leaves the sides virtually untouched, and I find it agreeable enough to watch films that way I like having the entire screen filled. I know a lot of people would not/do not like that, but in my case it doesn't bother me.

I do have quite a DVD collection though I now purchase all of my films in Blu-Ray, so it would be nice to have them upconverted. I will have to consider the price of the Fury again for that purpose and think that over.

I think tomorrow I will experiment again with running my BD player into my 1080i input and try to carefully observe the difference in video quality between it and 480p, perhaps using a film like Avatar, then decide what I want to do.

Thanks again!

Ken
post #10461 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10462 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would not say "should not" in your case. When DVI/HDMI works well, it's fine to use.

But in general, what I would say is: you don't need to. Not unless you need to for more switching options, or for upconverting regular DVDs to 1080i.

Your set is not fraught with HDMI-imposed bandwidth issues like my much later model is, so you can use it if you wish, there will be no problem using it on your set. You just don't need to. You have component.

...Luckily, component never changed. It has stayed par excellence in all Mit HDreadys. No worries when you're using component.

b

Good to know. If I had a Fury3, or a Moome handy I wouldn't mind trying it.

First I've got to get a BluRay
Then I've got to get my optics cleaned.
post #10463 of 12492 Old 02-26-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can get you into a component-equipped Insignia BDP that also does internet streaming very reasonably. And my door is always open to anyone who wants a phone consult about how to get the optics cleaned properly and safely.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10464 of 12492 Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Mr. Bob, you mentioned an Insignia BD player that uses video component out and has built in wireless for streaming. Can you provide a model number of a unit please?

Thanks
Sam Omar
post #10465 of 12492 Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all of the info and your insights into my Mits issue, Bob, as well as the other guys who have responded. I had already thought of and will continue to consider a switcher for my cable/DVR box and BD player into my one 1080i input. That still doesn't get me past the aspect ratio control issue, and unlike many people/videophiles I don't have this need to watch/play a movie on my set at the ratio it was shot at, and in some cases doing so can cut off subtitles on some movies with foreign language in parts of the film. Although I will watch some films with the black bars at the top and bottom, I generally prefer to expand the video to fill the screen if it's not [b]too[b] much of a "stretch", if you'll forgive the pun. On my Mits the expand format raises the picture on top and bottom and leaves the sides virtually untouched, and I find it agreeable enough to watch films that way I like having the entire screen filled. I know a lot of people would not/do not like that, but in my case it doesn't bother me.

I do have quite a DVD collection though I now purchase all of my films in Blu-Ray, so it would be nice to have them upconverted. I will have to consider the price of the Fury again for that purpose and think that over.

I think tomorrow I will experiment again with running my BD player into my 1080i input and try to carefully observe the difference in video quality between it and 480p, perhaps using a film like Avatar, then decide what I want to do.

Thanks again!

So yours is one of the 4:3 models?

- 2B
post #10466 of 12492 Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post

So yours is one of the 4:3 models?

- 2B

No, my model is a 16:9 widescreen.

Here's an update on my situation. Today I did run my BD player into my 1080i input again, changed the output to 1080i and spent a couple of hours viewing about 5 or so BD movies. After darkening my living room and making sure I had optimal viewing conditions I could definitely see the difference over 480p; just like I can see my HD content from my cable box. There is no question that it makes a difference. Very pleased!

I then viewed a handful of regular DVD's and got a surprise. I knew my BD player would switch and output the DVD's at 480p because of the component output, but I did not realize my TV would automatically sense and switch to 480p as well. This means I can switch my aspect ratio if desired for certain movies with no problems, something I really wanted to have the option to do. And I re-discovered something I had forgotten about my BD player. It allows me to change screen aspect through the player if I desire, although when I tried it on some of the films today it did not allow me to change any; it seems to be film specific for some reason. At any rate I decided it's not an issue, as Bob says the tradeoff from 1080i to 480p is not worth it and on my 55" set the bars on some of the films are so small as to be insignificant anyway.

I've ordered the recommended video switcher from monoprice and will get it Wednesday; I'll be in business with 1080i for both my cable/DVR and my BD player through my MITS, and will continue to use it until that day comes when it decides it's had enough.

Thanks!

Ken
post #10467 of 12492 Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar193 View Post

Mr. Bob, you mentioned an Insignia BD player that uses video component out and has built in wireless for streaming. Can you provide a model number of a unit please?

Thanks
Sam Omar

Model NAS-BRDVD3. Has the Ethernet, HDMI and component connections, plus both Toslink/fibre optic and Coaxial digital audio outputs, which is good because you never know which type you'll need, to have the most in versatility on your sys. Have only patched it into my system for brief video testing on component, looked great!

If you want to get one from me, I have 2 available, both brand new.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10468 of 12492 Old 02-28-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, all HDready CRT RPTVs automatically sense what is being sent to them and lock onto that as long as it is something that they are capable of receiving. So if you send it as 1080i, it will lock onto and sync up to the 1080i. If you send it as 480p out of your source, it will lock up on that 480p.

If you send it 480i, it will upconvert that to 480p and lock onto that, as 480p is the lowest scanrate HDreadys are capable of. Some sets do that well, some do it really schlocky. It's usually better to have your source do that 480i to p upconversion rather than your display.

Some take in 720p they receive and convert it to 1080i. Others, like Mit and Pioneer, just don't recognize 720p at all and the screen stays blank.

Only one model keeps 720p as undisturbed 720p and 1080i as undisturbed 1080i - my 65" Panny!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10469 of 12492 Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:

No, my model is a 16:9 widescreen.

Here's an update on my situation. Today I did run my BD player into my 1080i input again, changed the output to 1080i and spent a couple of hours viewing about 5 or so BD movies. After darkening my living room and making sure I had optimal viewing conditions I could definitely see the difference over 480p; just like I can see my HD content from my cable box. There is no question that it makes a difference. Very pleased!

I then viewed a handful of regular DVD's and got a surprise. I knew my BD player would switch and output the DVD's at 480p because of the component output, but I did not realize my TV would automatically sense and switch to 480p as well. This means I can switch my aspect ratio if desired for certain movies with no problems, something I really wanted to have the option to do. And I re-discovered something I had forgotten about my BD player. It allows me to change screen aspect through the player if I desire, although when I tried it on some of the films today it did not allow me to change any; it seems to be film specific for some reason. At any rate I decided it's not an issue, as Bob says the tradeoff from 1080i to 480p is not worth it and on my 55" set the bars on some of the films are so small as to be insignificant anyway.

I've ordered the recommended video switcher from monoprice and will get it Wednesday; I'll be in business with 1080i for both my cable/DVR and my BD player through my MITS, and will continue to use it until that day comes when it decides it's had enough.

Thanks!

Gotcha, I see now. You had me confused before, 'cuz I was gonna say that when you feed the wide models 1080i, you don't really need to use the aspect ratio controls (I actually posted a guide earlier in the thread that helps confused Mitsubishi users understand the various aspect ratio controls when displaying 4:3 content on a 16:9 set, as Mitsubishi's names for those settings could not possibly make less sense .

- 2 Bunny
post #10470 of 12492 Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey everybody, welcome to Page 350 of the Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV! thread!

We have been going strong since I put up the very first post of this thread at 09:25 AM on 07-06-06, and I see no signs of us stopping!

This is Post #10471, more than 10,000 posts later and we're still going strong!

See you at page 400, where we'll all pop a brew together -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv