post #10531 of 12492 Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

The problem is that our lenses are PLASTIC.
I would really hate to see what acetone would do to them.

Yah!! NO Acetone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 12492 Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

There's a glass mirror for this.
Oh, right, IN YOUR GARAGE!

Think that might help?

OK smartypants. You win that one...!

I am actually getting lots closer to getting that done! I finally got those pesky last 3 years of tax returns in, and now simply have to figure out how to pay for it all! (not fun...)

Soon. Am even starting to get itchy about that mirror replacement myself, now that you mention it...~!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #10533 of 12492 Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw40f80 View Post

I also had my 65813 calibrated by Craig 7 years ago. He came by and tuned it up a few years ago. Everyone who sees it lusts for my set. I am running Verizon FIOS HD and the picture is incredible. There are bigger sets now but they do not display sports artifact free like my 65813....So yeah you can have a stunning setup with "vintage" gear. Don't dump that RPTV!

Angel

Yeah, it's amazing how good a set this is. I keep looking at sets in video showrooms, and the only thing that would tempt me would be a 3D capable 80 inch plus OLED.

And the color from the CRTs! Yowee!
post #10534 of 12492 Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Might want to correct that misprint in bold, up there -

b

Hey! I thought this thread was preaching to the unconverted!

But I corrected it, bringing it in line with conventional expectations.
post #10535 of 12492 Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

So, am I correct in stating that, at some point (not sure when), all blu ray players will be limited to 480p or 480i resolution through its component outputs (if it even has them)?

If that is the case, what about cable/satellite DVR's? Will the component output of those be limited in the future?

Thanks, Dave

That day has been here for a while already. All bluray players are set up so that upconverted 1080i will NOT show up at the component outputs. The upconversion will only show up via HDMI.

Yet the component output - if it has them at all, as they have been phased out of current and future BDPs - WILL carry unimpeded 1080i that was recorded as such on the bluray disc.

Go figure!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10536 of 12492 Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Yah!! NO Acetone!!

+2!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10537 of 12492 Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=What kind of set do you have? I have never heard of there not being a master contrast control on any of these babies. It's always electronic these days, tho, I usually don't see any mechanical means for contrast control. Never on HDreadys, anyway -b[/QUOTE]

The model is 61LP60SA04 which has a manufacture date of 12/90. It is a really old one, but I like it, and the fact that it is 80 percent OK with no real issues has my motivated to keep trying to get it 100 percent correct. I was thinking of taking the screen off and cleaning that as well.

Thanks - I will be checking out your vid this weekend on the cantilever method of focusing.
KF
post #10538 of 12492 Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

+2!

b

The poster must not have known about the plastic component of the optics.

I remember, when building plastic models as a kid, how acetone would melt the plastic. What a mess. I shudder when I think of acetone on the lenses.
post #10539 of 12492 Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Liked: 20
Anybody tried to connect a computer to the RGB input ?

It is basically a VGA input right ?

Should work as long as the input resolution is 1080 x what though ?

I already know by trial and error you will get nothing and possibly

pop the power off if the tv doesn't like what its seeing on that input and

don't want to do that anymore.

So who has tried this ?
post #10540 of 12492 Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post

So who has tried this ?

Look up the specs for the TV you care about. The term VGA has changed over the years. Origianlly it was Video Graphic Adapter and referred to the graphics card and orginally it was a very low resoulution of 480 x 640. The term did NOT mean the connector.

The multi-pin connector on the card is formally a D-Sub-15 connector and only "informally" a VGA connector.

The connector presence really does not tell you what signals are compatible via that connector, you need to look at the specs for the TV for that. Just becasue the HDTV has a D-sub-15 jack does not mean it supports the higher resolutions via that jack.
post #10541 of 12492 Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Look up the specs for the TV you care about. The term VGA has changed over the years. Origianlly it was Video Graphic Adapter and referred to the graphics card and orginally it was a very low resoulution of 480 x 640. The term did NOT mean the connector.

The multi-pin connector on the card is formally a D-Sub-15 connector and only "informally" a VGA connector.

The connector presence really does not tell you what signals are compatible via that connector, you need to look at the specs for the TV for that. Just becasue the HDTV has a D-sub-15 jack does not mean it supports the higher resolutions via that jack.

Pioneer set and yes that RGB INPUT is HD....CAPABLE. Have an upconverting dvd player connected to it now with a HDFURY.
post #10542 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:

So who has tried this ?

I guess I wan't the only one. Back some time ago, I was experimenting with connecting my computer to the Mitt using a VGA to RGBHV breakout cable (since RGBHV is the video signals inside of VGA), but I never actually got it to work (I ended up getting a picture, but with some of the colors inverted) because I had only a laptop with Intel graphics to work with at the time so I had to use a "special ed" piece of software called DTDCalc to do the custom resolutions. Most people with more cooperative cards get to use easier to work with software called EnTech PowerStrip, for which there is a StepByStep guide easily accessible with an internet search.

I'd never had such a struggle with getting a computer working with a monitor like that in my life. These CRT RPs are not like normal CRT projectors, direct view monitors, or LCD displays which you can just plug a VGA cable in and go. I don't know what it is about these sets, but they just don't play nice with DTDCalc and Intel graphics. Maybe I was just doing it wrong...

I'd encourage you to give EnTech Powerstrip a try (if you have non intel video) and have a look at those guides too. If all that fails, some video cards that have an SVideo port on them actually have some dark magic done to them where they can output component and HD through the SVideo jack with the help of a simple breakout cable. Note that this will not work on any ordinary SVideo plug and can only be done on a select few video cards that were specifically designed to be able to do this "black magic".

Let us know whatcha figure out.

- 2B
post #10543 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post

The model is 61LP60SA04 which has a manufacture date of 12/90. It is a really old one, but I like it, and the fact that it is 80 percent OK with no real issues has my motivated to keep trying to get it 100 percent correct. I was thinking of taking the screen off and cleaning that as well.

Thanks - I will be checking out your vid this weekend on the cantilever method of focusing.
KF

At that age your set needs massive optics cleaning as well. Can't skip that, it's absolutely essential to any good rear projection viewing.

Even DLPs need it these days.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10544 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

The poster must not have known about the plastic component of the optics.

I remember, when building plastic models as a kid, how acetone would melt the plastic. What a mess. I shudder when I think of acetone on the lenses.

+1!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10545 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post

I guess I wan't the only one. Back some time ago, I was experimenting with connecting my computer to the Mitt using a VGA to RGBHV breakout cable (since RGBHV is the video signals inside of VGA), but I never actually got it to work (I ended up getting a picture, but with some of the colors inverted) because I had only a laptop with Intel graphics to work with at the time so I had to use a "special ed" piece of software called DTDCalc to do the custom resolutions. Most people with more cooperative cards get to use easier to work with software called EnTech PowerStrip, for which there is a StepByStep guide easily accessible with an internet search.

I'd never had such a struggle with getting a computer working with a monitor like that in my life. These CRT RPs are not like normal CRT projectors, direct view monitors, or LCD displays which you can just plug a VGA cable in and go. I don't know what it is about these sets, but they just don't play nice with DTDCalc and Intel graphics. Maybe I was just doing it wrong...

I'd encourage you to give EnTech Powerstrip a try (if you have non intel video) and have a look at those guides too. If all that fails, some video cards that have an SVideo port on them actually have some dark magic done to them where they can output component and HD through the SVideo jack with the help of a simple breakout cable. Note that this will not work on any ordinary SVideo plug and can only be done on a select few video cards that were specifically designed to be able to do this "black magic".

Let us know whatcha figure out.

- 2B

Thanks for the info. Did you try 1080 x 1920 resolution ?

Wouldn't that be the native rsolution of the tv ?
post #10546 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

The Mitsubishi Rear Pro CRT units only supported 640 x 480 @ 60Hz via the VGA input, not the HD resolutions!! They were TVs, not Monitors designed for computers. Things have changed over the years, but even now TVs that you can use as a computer monitor are still more limited than monitors designed specfically for computers.

There is no multi-sync monitor that is a perfect TV and there is no TV that is a perfect multi-sync monitor.
post #10547 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

There is no multi-sync monitor that is a perfect TV and there is no TV that is a perfect multi-sync monitor.

I'm not having any trouble with my Hitachi 57F59A:

Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #10548 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Try giving the 57F59A any resolution lower than 720 x 480 (at least over the HDMI, I never tested the other inputs). It won't display. It's pretty much stuck to 720 x 480, 1280 x 720, and 1920 x 1080. I found that out messing around with console emulators on the HTPC as I was trying to get them to display at their native res since I have an E350 Zacate HTPC and it's not really powerful PC. I'm too used to old school CRT monitors accepting so many resolutions and refresh rates.

I have an LG 37LD450 LCD that works well as PC monitor (it'll do 4:4:4, and seems to accept other resolutions the Hitachi xxF59A's don't, though 4:3 is stretched :/) and decently as a TV (as far as LCD's go that is). Perfect, no. Pretty damn good, yes.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #10549 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My exact same story! Mine's the Barco Data 800, and nobody would bite when I priced it at $600!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10550 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

Try giving the 57F59A any resolution lower than 720 x 480 (at least over the HDMI, I never tested the other inputs).

Why would I want to do that? It would look horrible. It's hooked up to an HTPC via HDMI for high def everything, and looks wonderful.
I don't watch BDs on my desktop, and I don't balance my checkbook on my RPCRT.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #10551 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Why would I want to do that? It would look horrible. It's hooked up to an HTPC via HDMI for high def everything, and looks wonderful.
I don't watch BDs on my desktop, and I don't balance my checkbook on my RPCRT.

As I said I was trying to get console emulators to display at their native resolution without upscaling. Mostly to force my 51F59A to use the grey side bars instead of the black ones to prevent burn in. Most of the emulators I was able to work at 720 x 480 except one which was a TurboGrafx 16 emulator. 720p wasn't in the options, so I had to set it to 1080p. In doing so it had the black bars and some slowdown since my E350 didn't like upscaling it that far. I was just pointing out that the xxF59A is not a good example of a multi-sync TV.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #10552 of 12492 Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:

The Mitsubishi Rear Pro CRT units only supported 640 x 480 @ 60Hz via the VGA input, not the HD resolutions!! They were TVs, not Monitors designed for computers. Things have changed over the years, but even now TVs that you can use as a computer monitor are still more limited than monitors designed specfically for computers.

Pioneer's RGB/VGA input is HD capable 1080i don't know about other brands.............so yes it is possible but as you said more troublesome to get dialed in.
post #10553 of 12492 Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Did you try 1080 x 1920 resolution ?

Wouldn't that be the native rsolution of the tv ?

Yes. 1920x1080 (width by height). It has to be in a special mode in either PowerStrip or DTDCalc to be interlaced.

- 2B
post #10554 of 12492 Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post

Yes. 1920x1080 (width by height). It has to be in a special mode in either PowerStrip or DTDCalc to be interlaced.

- 2B

Hey, 2Bunny.

Happened to click on your YouTube channel link, and watched a couple of videos.

Nice job! I like your style, approach to the subjects...A real guide to DIY.
I watched the Coolpix video, and your guide to inexpensive HDTV, with hats off to Mr. Bob. One question though. In the video recounting your acquisition of the Mits you mentioned a review of the model. Where's the review?

Your Mits looks nice, based on the convergence grid and menus!
post #10555 of 12492 Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM

I notice that our front projector counterparts have some lens upgrade capabilities. Has anyone ever explored this on a rear projection? Would there be any noticeable benefit perhaps, or is the projection distance too short for any miraculous changes? I do notice that even on the Pioneer Elites, the 500s use Delta 78s... and up to the 710s, Delta Digital 250's if I remember correctly. I am assuming this has to do with the geometry... but is there a quality characteristic too? If so, what are some of the better lenses out there?

Just curious... I have never seen this topic come up. But it appears the fanatic front projector guys are willing to spend big bucks on this...

Joe

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

Do I want to upgrade to a Vikuiti Delta 265 for example?

This is neato too!

http://www.dgibbons.members.sonic.net/essay7.html

Bob... I'm goin off the deep end... help! LOL
post #10556 of 12492 Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I wasn't aware 3M was even selling CRT pj lenses anymore except for maybe FP. Not sure what is a good lens for rear pros. The really good lenses cost a mint new $5k-$10k new. I actually have three sets of the best lenses ever made sitting on the floor right near me right now, which are the HFQ900s. If you want a better lens, then try to find a rear pro Barco. They would probably have had the best lenses installed. By the way, you can't interchange FP and RP lenses, because of the throw distance.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #10557 of 12492 Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I wasn't aware 3M was even selling CRT pj lenses anymore except for maybe FP. Not sure what is a good lens for rear pros. The really good lenses cost a mint new $5k-$10k new. I actually have three sets of the best lenses ever made sitting on the floor right near me right now, which are the HFQ900s. If you want a better lens, then try to find a rear pro Barco. They would probably have had the best lenses installed. By the way, you can't interchange FP and RP lenses, because of the throw distance.

Sigh... yes... looks like I missed the boat. 3M looks like they are only making the Vikuiti coatings for covering ipods, phones, etc. now. I did figure the throw length was going to prevent using FP lenses. It looks like there is little chance of finding RP lenses worth upgrading to really...but thanks for the Barco tip.

Oh well. I was curious. Thanks again.

Neato!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barco-808s-R...item4ab5329638
post #10558 of 12492 Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

This looks like a good deal on a 65813 for anyone living in Southern California:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/2812759059.html
post #10559 of 12492 Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 AM

Looked at a 92 inch Mits DLP last night. Gawdy big but I like.......

Might as well come out with some tech that turns your whole wall into a tv.

Us guys always want bigger....well that would end that. I'll wait for that. lol
post #10560 of 12492 Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looked at a 92 inch Mits DLP last night. Gawdy big but I like.......

Might as well come out with some tech that turns your whole wall into a tv.

Us guys always want bigger....well that would end that. I'll wait for that. lol

Actually in the mid 80's Mitsubishi did just that. They had a kit that used 11" CRTs that fitted with a frame work that held mirrors that would be placed in a large closet type room (acted as the TV cabinet). The wall between the viewing room and the projection room had a 100" or 120" rear projection screen installed and you had a 100" or 120" Full Wall TV.

I would assume that not many sold, I think the parts were sold in the $20K range and that did not include installation or carpentry.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page