AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Or the divorce.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10562 of 12552 Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Or the divorce.

"I would assume that not many sold, I think the parts were sold in the $20K range and that did not include installation or carpentry."

Or the cost of psychological counseling for Wifey.

I was thinking the same thing.
post #10563 of 12552 Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

looking to pull the trigger on either a 73513 or 73713 (not sure of the model. still have to contact the seller) for about $100 on CL. Owner's ad says it turns on but no picture or sound and that it needs a new panel. My questions being if anyone knows, do either of these models have the drip pans and if the panel needed could be due to the Blinking Green Light of Death? Further research on my part will determine whether this TV is too big from a viewing distance of ~10 ft.

post #10564 of 12552 Old 03-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Might pass on the 73x13 I was looking at for a 65813 for twice the price (it's closer to me). Wondering what makes the HDMI input on later CRT Mitsus like this one a bad connection. Would an external video processor fix or alleviate those problems?

post #10565 of 12552 Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

Might pass on the 73x13 I was looking at for a 65813 for twice the price (it's closer to me). Wondering what makes the HDMI input on later CRT Mitsus like this one a bad connection. Would an external video processor fix or alleviate those problems?

Did you see the link I posted a few posts back for one in the Inland Empire?

Check out the 65813. It's a fantastic set. Coming from a large set, the bright 65 inch is fully satisfying to me as a home cinema.
post #10566 of 12552 Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Top left, is that bad convergence ic's? 1080 has even more wiggle to it, can only try to fix it with point but even then it's still off.
LL
post #10567 of 12552 Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Did you see the link I posted a few posts back for one in the Inland Empire?

Check out the 65813. It's a fantastic set. Coming from a large set, the bright 65 inch is fully satisfying to me as a home cinema.

I did see it. That one's a bit too far for me to travel, especially with these gas prices and it'd be about a day to and from to get it. I'm an hour north of SF. I missed out on the one from last night. Blast!! But that 73" is still available...

post #10568 of 12552 Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did see it. That one's a bit too far for me to travel, especially with these gas prices and it'd be about a day to and from to get it. I'm an hour north of SF. I missed out on the one from last night. Blast!! But that 73" is still available...

Too bad. All I can tell you is that the 9 inch tubes in the 65 inch chassis produce a very bright display, with a sharp and colorful image.
post #10569 of 12552 Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:

Hey, 2Bunny.

Happened to click on your YouTube channel link, and watched a couple of videos.

Nice job! I like your style, approach to the subjects...A real guide to DIY.
I watched the Coolpix video, and your guide to inexpensive HDTV, with hats off to Mr. Bob. One question though. In the video recounting your acquisition of the Mits you mentioned a review of the model. Where's the review?

Your Mits looks nice, based on the convergence grid and menus!

Great, glad you liked them.

The review thing, well, it just never really came to be. I guess the review parts were explaining the strengths and weaknesses of it and stuff, but a serious dedicated review never happened.

The sad part is that for whatever reason, I had one YT troll really pissed off at me, so he went and downrated all of my videos, and even created two extra accounts to do it with. Since my channel hasn't quite become huge yet, I don't get a lot of ratings on my videos, so the trolls really hurt it. I'm thinking of just wasting four or five accounts to rate the videos back up again so people won't wonder.

YouTube is just a horrendous place for small channels right now.

- 2B
post #10570 of 12552 Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post

Great, glad you liked them.

The review thing, well, it just never really came to be. I guess the review parts were explaining the strengths and weaknesses of it and stuff, but a serious dedicated review never happened.

The sad part is that for whatever reason, I had one YT troll really pissed off at me, so he went and downrated all of my videos, and even created two extra accounts to do it with...

...YouTube is just a horrendous place for small channels right now.

- 2B

That's a shame, because the whole tone of what you did...including the music, voiceover, and the great 2Bunny logo...was really well done.

Why doesn't YouTube have protections in place for the smaller channels?
There must be something that can be done.

And I'd still like to see a review of your Mits!
post #10571 of 12552 Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Hey all,

looking to pull the trigger on either a 73513 or 73713 (not sure of the model. still have to contact the seller) for about $100 on CL. Owner's ad says it turns on but no picture or sound and that it needs a new panel. My questions being if anyone knows, do either of these models have the drip pans and if the panel needed could be due to the Blinking Green Light of Death? Further research on my part will determine whether this TV is too big from a viewing distance of ~10 ft.

I watch my 73" at 9' on Dish Network, or 8' if only BDs. Fully set up as it was designed to be, any 73" Mit can be watched at 10' in full crispness. Having a pro do a full tilt calibration and getting the benefit of his experience and expertise can make it even crisper than that.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #10572 of 12552 Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No processor can restore something that was never there. It can synthesize it, but if it's not there in the first place, it's not native and as such the same high res just really doesn't exist. That's why 1080i HD blows away anything Faroudja was ever able to accomplish by revamping and upscaling native 480i SD, like we used to have to do with the bigger screens. $20K Faroudja line doubling/tripling/quadrupling processors became small boat anchors the day HD came along.

If you get a xxx13, 15 or 17 series, be sure and have the Craig Rounds anti-ee mod done to it, tho on the 17 series Mit may have already done it. Improves your crispness. CR wrote a white paper on this op, and asked me to proof read and get it ready for prime time, which I did promptly, sent it back to him same day. Kept a copy of course! And could not wait to try it out as soon as I had a set that could use it.

Which happened when I got the one I know have.

HDMI.

Some part of the design of the Mit HDMI circuit lacks the bandwidth/frequency range/high resolution to display the really fine stuff, which winds up arriving as mulchy picture compared to DVI from the earlier year or component from any of their model years. It's like a filtering capacitor was installed right across the leads of the signal, acting like a filter, absorbing the highest of frequencies.

Both Craig Rounds and I have found this, and I am sure he can get you data from his scope about it. I haven't seen the results of putting a scope on it, but it's totally visible to me just from watching content. I know that if both he and I are seeing it, it's there.

DVI is the best rendition of HDCP oriented viewing on the Mits HDreadys. Don't even try to use their HDMI inputs of the following year, you will be most disappointed.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10573 of 12552 Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Top left, is that bad convergence ic's? 1080 has even more wiggle to it, can only try to fix it with point but even then it's still off.

Could be the ICs are tired, could be you need to have experience in convergence and geometry to truly get it right. That kind of squiggle does not usually indicate IC problems.

The Toshibas have to have their 9 points centered in User menu before you can even hope to get their points all straight in service menu. The lines need to be straight and all curls straightened out in User even if that places your points way off in service, where such things can be readily corrected.

Even service menu cannot straighten out curls between points, if whatever you have done has generated them in ways the system did not like.*

With Panasonics you can paint yourself into a corner quite handily and need to wipe the paradigm out and start completely over if you're not already adept at it, and/or know how to steer clear of the landmines in there. There's no substitute for experience.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10574 of 12552 Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once you score, contact me and I'll get that sucker dialed in for you. I'm in East Bay, where 238 hits 880.

Send me your contact info and we can keep in touch -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10575 of 12552 Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too bad. All I can tell you is that the 9 inch tubes in the 65 inch chassis produce a very bright display, with a sharp and colorful image.

And since all Mit 73's use the same 9" guns, it really doesn't matter which model 73" you get, on that score.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10576 of 12552 Old 03-21-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time has come for me to clear out my emails from my ISP again, and there are so many this time that it is going to take a while!

Until I have this handled this time, if you want to reach me by email, please send all emails to mrbob84@gmail.com. Phone number is always available regardless of email status, of course.

I'll get this handled as soon as I can.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10577 of 12552 Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the crisis has passed. I got a lot of work done on downloading it all to Outlook, so now there's just a really small, innocuous amount of email on my ISP.

I think the regular email address will work fine now. Let me know if you get any bouncebacks -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10578 of 12552 Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM

When did Mitsubishi begin installing drip pans ? I have a chance to see a WS 65613 and I'm wondering if I need to take the front off to check for leaks.Any opinions good or bad on this model ?

I think a lot of folks are reading this forum.Big beasts have dried up in my area.
post #10579 of 12552 Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikrawdad View Post

...I think a lot of folks are reading this forum.Big beasts have dried up in my area.

Well, big screens with potentially brilliant HDTV, at a reasonable admission price...

Why not?
post #10580 of 12552 Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When did Mitsubishi begin installing drip pans ? I have a chance to see a WS 65613 and I'm wondering if I need to take the front off to check for leaks.Any opinions good or bad on this model ?

I think a lot of folks are reading this forum.Big beasts have dried up in my area.

If there's any question in your mind about whether your set has the drip pan or not, unplug your set and remove the plate down below on the front and take a looksee with a small strong flashlight aimed back at you while shining it on the boards below the guns.

If there are drips, you'll either see the gleam of the liquid if it has not evaporated yet - takes months, possibly years - or the blue-green algae-like evidence of dried coolant - which is partially conductive - that has caused electrolysis and corrosion.

If you indeed have a drip pan installed in your set, it is about 10" long and 3" wide, running the length of your set's metal cowling, which surrounds the guns up above the boards beneath.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10581 of 12552 Old 04-02-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No experience with this model, but it's a lot more recent than a 65903 or 65905 would be, the xxx03 series being the first Mit designed for HD. Their model numbers usually had odd numbers at the end. Have heard no complaints -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10582 of 12552 Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgruessing68 View Post

Sigh... yes... looks like I missed the boat. 3M looks like they are only making the Vikuiti coatings for covering ipods, phones, etc. now. I did figure the throw length was going to prevent using FP lenses. It looks like there is little chance of finding RP lenses worth upgrading to really...but thanks for the Barco tip.

Oh well. I was curious. Thanks again.

Neato!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barco-808s-R...item4ab5329638

I had forgotten about this. I just looked at that ebay ad and it is funny he mentions Curt (not Kurt) Palme. I think Curt is still using his Barco, but I think it just because of convenience. One thing I didn't even think of until I saw the ad was Curt. I know Curt has a bunch of lenses he was getting rid of. You might want to contact him and see if he has any lenses that you could try.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #10583 of 12552 Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Well went and looked.The college kid thought I was nuts pulling the speaker panel and inner panel to get a peak inside.The 65613 does not have a drip pan,but happy to report I could find no sign of leakage.The set was hooked up to regular cable so the picture quality wasn't there.Contrast and most others were in the low 30's.The guy's girlfriends dad had given this to her a few years back and these kids needed to downsize to get an apartment size TV.To the best of their knowledge,no service had ever been done on it.Plus the standard picture was just bad.

So after a futile attempt to haggle a bit,we loaded it up on a trailer for a journey across town.Only had to remove 1 door to get it to it's new home.It'll take a little time to figure out the NetCommand set up,but I must say it has a very nice picture hooked up to my DirectTV HD.I know for sure it needs a good optics cleaning.It's just a little dull,but thankfully I've just done this to my Hitachi,so possibly this weekend she'll get a good cleansing. I've always enjoyed my 51" Hitachi but this dwarfs the old set.I'd been searching for a 73,but this probably will do the trick.

I'm not sure,but I think the colors are all set at factory setting,each is at 31.Is there any reason to tweak these ? If anyone has this set would you care to share where the 6 colors are set ? Also I've searched the archives for a thread dedicated to these sets but haven't had any luck,anyone know if 1 exists ? NCAA championship looks awesome on the big set.So glad I found this forum.Thanks to all !!
post #10584 of 12552 Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congrats! Hope you super tweak it and keep us in the loop, here.

First thing, see how strongly it's been used by examining it for its aging footprint, by shining a flashlight right into the lenses to see the CRT face beneath. If very little, you might be able to get away with the advanced step past the shim op, where you re-aim the guns and recapture that last little bit of unused CRT face area, for greater depth in your pic.

A 65" with 9" guns can be set up just as well as a 73" as they use the same guns in both, and you can set your viewing chair to just the right distance for either for the ultimate in viewing pleasure. As such you can have just as big a perceived picture on a Mit 65813 as on a Mit 73".

Be sure and do the CraigR anti-ringing mod, your year was the first model year he used it on. He came to me to do his editing, and I couldn't wait to plug it into my 73"!

And don't worry about the deeper optics cleaning, it won't need that. Just the lenses and mirror. Since it's a 65" you won't have to worry about mylar either, it will already have a top notch pro grade front surface glass mirror.

On my 73", I run my PerfectColor with all 3 of the corrolating colors full up, and the Red down a few notches. Yours may or may not be improved with those settings. The best way to get rid of its built-in red push - another word for blue-green diminish - is with the proper HD test patterns and the color isolators in there, plus the proper guidance and methodology. Which of course I would be glad to coach you on by phone. I was personally trained in those arts years ago by Paul Carleton, founder of www.***************.com, and a former video cameraman.

You have not lived until you have realigned out the red push/blue-green diminish and restored color accuracy, and are actually seeing delicate, lifelike, actually true to life colorations at all points! It makes the term suspension of disbelief an understatement...!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10585 of 12552 Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM

post #10586 of 12552 Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome examples! Hope owners of some of the other brands do the deeper optics as well, because those 6 additional surfaces in the deeper optics category comprise more than half the 10 surfaces of the 28 total that may need cleaning, depending on the brand.

Here's the results of having all 28 surfaces in your light path crystal clear again, on a Pioneer set where all 10 in question needed cleaning (as opposed to the Mit in pix in the last post, which only needs the initial 4 cleaned). Mit seals their lenses to their CRT coolant covers properly whereas other brands do not. This means that on other brands 10 of the 28 surfaces need cleaning on other brands, to Mit's 4 -

The importance of this step cannot be overly stressed. It is ESSENTIAL! It usually takes about an hour if you're a quick study, less if you are long experienced like I am. If you are totally inexperienced at it, it could take a little longer.

Before:

After (same day and from then on!):

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10587 of 12552 Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Bob

Before even poking my head back in this thread I sent you an email about setting up a phone consult to walk me through cleaning my 65711. Looking forward to getting similar results!
post #10588 of 12552 Old 04-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 11
Hi there have not posted in a while . I still have a WS 48613 or 48813 cant remember but still to date blows away all three of my other flat panels .. I have a Lumagen processor on it .it was calibrated by Chuck Willams . the Lumagen allows you to have better gray scale adjustment and take the over scan out that they like to put in . i run it from HDMI blueray to DVI tv . again i will keep fixing this set for a long time cause i love the picture so much . i have very low hrs on the set and i had Chuck do the DM mod upgrade when he was here.

there is nothing like the fluid motion of a CRT picture. its natural is all i can say

keep then alive

keith
post #10589 of 12552 Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chuck is an excellent calibrator and service technician. I am sure you have a picture to be proud of.

When was the last time you had the optics cleaned?

I will be coming to Portland for a few days around the 14th of this month, so if you would like to have me fine tune your color decoding to lifelike delicacy and/or install the CraigR anti-ringing mod for you, contact me well ahead of that so I can be equipped with the proper parts.

Contact me directly, no pm's please -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #10590 of 12552 Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM

I am considering selling my rptv to help pay for a Sharp 70" Elite LED. What would be a good price for my recently calibrated Mits 73713?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page